Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you believe in hypnosis?

Where someone can put you in a deep trance-like state and make you remember the past or bark like a dog.

Have you ever been hypnotized?

by Anonymousreply 3512/07/2012

Yes, my ex went up on stage at a comedy club and acted the fool under hypnosis. There's no way he'd have ordinarily done those things in front of a room full of strangers...he's not very outgoing. I sat in the audience and suffered from second-hand embarrassment for him.

by Anonymousreply 112/06/2012

Yes. I have read that there is a percentage of the population that is susceptible to hypnosis and those that are not. I believe it because I saw it done to my friend when I was in high school at our grad nite. He was just zoned out. Another friend just kept smiling and it was obvious that whatever the hypnotist did wasn't working with her.

by Anonymousreply 212/06/2012

Just to add, David (the one who was hypnotized) later said he didn't remember anything and didn't know what we were talking about. He said he remembers feeling just relaxed and "out of it."

by Anonymousreply 312/06/2012

I was "hypnotized" once at a show after being brought up from the audience. I wasn't really hypnotized, but I played along well.

by Anonymousreply 412/06/2012

No. Every demonstration I've seen was clearly set up.

by Anonymousreply 512/06/2012

BullShiiiiiit. That is the thing, people on stage play along because they think they are the only ones not hypnotized.

If you believe that, I can bend spoons.

This guy claimed he could read Barbra Walters Mind. Funny, that's not the picture I get.

by Anonymousreply 612/06/2012

They use hypnosis in surgical procedures. I have been hypnotized by an anesthetist

by Anonymousreply 712/06/2012

Wrong R4. I originally went up on stage with my ex, but was not able to be hypnotized. I think I was too nervous about what the guy would make me do. Anyway, there was no way I was going to stay on that stage and "act" the entire show out, so I went back and sat in the audience. During the show the hypnotist instructed an 18y/o girl to have an orgasm (it was an adult comedy show) which she did, only to later discover when she woke up that her parents were in the audience. She was severely embarrassed.

by Anonymousreply 812/06/2012

Supposedly you can't do anything when hypnotized that you normally wouldn't do.

Anyhow, I'm sure everybody is different, but from my experience it just didn't work. I love attention and had no qualms acting the fool for a laugh.

by Anonymousreply 912/06/2012

So what about remember past life experiences under hypnosis? Bullshit right?

by Anonymousreply 1012/06/2012

r9 like I said, there's a certain percentage that are susceptible to hypnosis. You're the can't. I've never had the opportunity to be hypnotized so I don't know. But I did see my friends being hypnotized and he really was under "a spell," whereas my other friend was not. She was a wannabee actress in drama classes so I guess she could have played along but she didn't or couldn't. Her "awakeness" just gave it away that it wasn't going to happen for the hypnotist.

by Anonymousreply 1112/06/2012

I've been hypnotised, this summer actually. The hypnotist told us that it's not true that some people can't be hypnotised - it's just a matter of how you are as a person. If you're kind of independent and anti-authoritarian, it won't work if you're told to forget a specific number or your name or something, because your reaction will be "don't tell me what I should forget!", instead you should be told "you'll forget a number/a letter in your name". And obviously the other way around if you're not so independent, then it works better if you're told exactly what to do. I believe him, because when he did a mass-hypnosis of the group, where we told that one of our hands would rise above our heads, as if it was attached to a balloon, my hand flew up. But when he tried to hypnotise just me, it mostly didn't work because he told me I'd forget a specific letter in my name and if anything that only made the letter stand out more in my mind. As for how it felt being under hypnosis, it's difficult to explain. I was completely aware of where I was, but at the same time I felt detached - the audience was mostly a blur. I remember everything that happened, depsite being in such a deep trance that he could (or at least attempted to) make me hallucinate negatively - that is, being led to forget letters/numbers or that people/objects are invisible to you. It was a fun experience, but this hypnotist is also one of those who uses it for therapeutic purposes (for instance to make people stop smoking), and he'd never do show-things like the example upthread with the girl being instructed to orgasm in front of her parents.

by Anonymousreply 1212/06/2012

I've been easily "dickmatized" but never had an opportunity to be hypnotized

by Anonymousreply 1312/06/2012

Has anyone heard of "past life regression" attained through hypnosis?

by Anonymousreply 1412/06/2012

Anybody remember Pat Collins?

by Anonymousreply 1512/06/2012

Stage hypnotism is mostly showmanship, stooges planted in the audience and people willing to make a fool of themselves by playing along with the schtick.

Hypnotherapy has a strong evidence base to be effective (at least as effective as other treatments) for mild to moderate anxiety, insomnia, phobia and pain management.

It isn't a panacea. In treatment for obesity, two year follow up checks show it to be no more effective than other weight loss strategies (ie: @ 90% failure rate). There may be some evidence it can help quit smoking, but addictions of all kinds are notoriously hard to tackle and generally need a multi discipline approach. It is not suitable to treat clinical depression, psychosis or other severe mental illness: any so called hypnotherapist who claims to be able to treat such serious conditions should be avoided.

See Hartland's Medical and Dental Hypnosis (4th edition) ISBN 978 0 443 07217 8.

See also International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis.

Or google pubmed and type hypnosis into the search bar.

by Anonymousreply 1612/06/2012

I believe in life after love

by Anonymousreply 1712/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 1812/06/2012

I was hypnotized as a teenager when I had my tonsils removed. It worked.

by Anonymousreply 1912/06/2012

I was pulled out of the audience for a hypnotism show. He did a little pre-test before hand where he told the audience to hold thier hands closed and pretend they were glued shut. If your hand came apart easily then you were not a good candidate. But if you could play along and believe your hands were inseparable you could go up on stage. I went up.

I'd never been hypnotized before. He had us close our eyes and imagine some sort of beach scenario. It relaxed me, but I wasn't hypnotized. He then said "when I come up to you I will snap my fingers and say sleep, and you will go to sleep". I watched as he worked down the line, and head after head fell. He gets to me and I'm not sure how i'll react. He snaps his fingers in my face and says "sleep" and my head dropped.

From that point i'd do most anything he said. I remember it all. It felt like listening to a radio show. I could hear and understand everything going on on stage, but couldn't react.

He first instructed us to act like we were fishing, but at the time I didn't hear him or catch what he was saying. So while everyone was acting like they were fishing I was just sitting there. But I couldn't wake up. I just had to wait until the next instruction. He had me forget my name, and think the wallet in my back pocket was suddenly a solid block of cold ice I was sitting on, among other things.

He left us with the suggestion to do jumping jacks when we next heard clapping. We returned to our seats, completely aware of the suggestion. Show ends, and as we're getting up the audience begins to clap. I freeze. I really want to do jumping jacks at that moment. But I don't want to look like a fool, so I'm just sort of stuck there in place. My friend said "go ahead, we know you want to". So I did 10 jumping jacks in front of everyone and that was that.

Hypnotism works, but you're not going to remember past lives and it only works if you let it.

by Anonymousreply 2012/06/2012

I've not had it done on myself but I've seen it firsthand on a movie set I was on earlier this year. I was an extra on Now You See Me with Woody Harrelson in NOLA and the onset hypnotist expert was Keith Barry from that Discovery Channel show. (He's very attractive in person, btw) Anyway, the whole scene revolved around Woody's character hypnotizing this lady in Cafe du Monde. We spent all day hanging around and afterwards, Woody and Keith gathered us all to thank us for our hard word, etc. Woody did some mind reading stuff he had learned and Keith picked a random extra and proceeded to hypnotize him in front of us. He had him do all kinds of stuff like forget numbers and his name, etc. Every time he would snap his fingers the guy would slump into his arms. He finally told him that he wouldn't remember anything about this but that he would be very horny that evening. When he snapped out of his trance he was completely oblivious to what happened. We all walked back to the holding area and kept asking him about being under. He had no recollection at all.

by Anonymousreply 2112/06/2012

[quote]The Lucy troll is starting to scare me.

Hey! That's me!

I'm more of a Pat Collins troll. Used to love her. Saw her act in L.A. years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2212/06/2012

Hypnosis can work to some degree, but one thing it can not do is make someone do something while they're under they wouldn't do when they're not under hypnosis.

These hypnosis stage shows are complete frauds.

by Anonymousreply 2312/06/2012

My old therapist tried to hypnotize me but her voice was warbling and man-sounding while she read whatever it was that supposed to put me in a trance so it was hard not to laugh.

by Anonymousreply 2412/06/2012

Stage shows are not frauds, I'm so sorry to inform you all. But whatever makes you feel better.

by Anonymousreply 2512/06/2012

I saw "The Amazing Kreskin" put people under hypnosis. I know it wasn't a set up because I was the one who picked him up at the airport and drove him to the hotel and then to the college. He didn't meet anyone in advance of the show except for me, the hotel desk clerk, and the stage manager.

At one point in his show, he brought about 15 people on stage. He hypnotized them without looking at them. He had his back to them and was looking at the audience while he put them under his spell.

I knew four of the people on stage, two got their tickets from me and we have been good friends for years since then. They all did some really silly and stupid stuff that was far from the way they normally are. They don't recall any of it and think that friends are making up some of the things they did.

by Anonymousreply 2612/06/2012

Let me guess. The pat Collins clip has Lucy pretending to be a washing machine

by Anonymousreply 2712/06/2012

Hypno therapists are like hackers who just need to say the right words to get through to you and pass your 'firewall'. Of course they won't be able to hypnotize you when your conscious and unconscious mind block all the attempts out of (a deep rooted) fear. Some patients/clients may claim they want to get hypnotized but there is some subconscious issue that may block all the attempts (some deep dark shameful secret like molestation, incest, rape, committed a crime, guilt, etc.) and then the therapist has to find ways to trick or bypass that subconscious blockage which can be very tricky (depending on the client/patient).

Any kind of successful manipulation counts as hypnosis and that includes advertizing that convinced you to buy a product which you didn't intend to buy previously.

by Anonymousreply 2812/06/2012

It only works if the hypnotist has spiraling eyes.

by Anonymousreply 2912/06/2012

A friend used hypnosis to quit smoking. He had been unsuccessful after quite a few other attempts, and he credits hypnosis with getting him through the worst of his cravings. It wasn't a panacea and he still had to work at getting past it, but it helped.

A nice side effect is that he didn't gain any weight. That was part of what the hypnotist suggested in their sessions.

I've always figured I would be a good subject if I felt I was being hypnotized for a good reason, such as anesthesia for surgery or to help break an addiction. I think I would fight it if it were for entertainment purposes; I can't see myself being part of a stage show because I don't think they're funny.

by Anonymousreply 3012/06/2012

R30 I am presenting my hole. It is all yours.

by Anonymousreply 3112/06/2012

r31, you don't just quit smoking or not gain weight, just because somone says so. That's complete nonsense. What a hypnotist does is he helps you deal with issues that bother your subconscious mind. After those issues are resolved you are able to stop smoking or not gain weight / lose weight which are nothing but symptoms for the inner conflict that bothered you in the first place (and since that inner conflict no longer exists the symptoms will fade away).

Shrinks and hypno therapiest are not that much different in that regard.

by Anonymousreply 3212/06/2012

I'm one of those people who seem to be resistant to hypnotism. Several people have tried to hypnotize me and it never worked, even when I wanted it to (treating headaches, for instance). It could be my personality - I'm very independent and am not afraid to say "no", even when under social pressure.

So since some people are easy to hypnotize and others aren't... how do stage hypnotists pick appropriate subjects out of the audience? They don't all take the time to test them backstage, do they.

by Anonymousreply 3312/07/2012

I actually was hypnotized by Pat Collins in one of her shows way back in the day in LA. A bit of a bizarre experience. I went under immediately, becoming very relaxed. I really only heard the sound of her voice and her suggestions. The one I remember well was being told to count on my hand, but I would not know the number seven. Damn if I would get to six and skip to eight in the count. My boyfriend at the time, at a different show, was also hypnotized. He was the most unassuming, low-key guy. Once he was under, he was the star of the show . . . had people laughing themselves silly. He did and said things than in our experience were the antithesis of who he was day-to-day. The reason we even went to her show was because of a friend that took her hypnosis sessions over several weeks to get past his bar exams. He'd taken them four times and didn't pass. Passed with flying colors after his hypnosis sessions.

by Anonymousreply 3412/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!