Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

10 things Americans do that drive Brits nuts

Kind of funny. I can get the over-patriotic thing but the rest are a bit petty. Every Brit I know loves turkey and they eat it more than I do. How do they treat their animals?

BTW, what are those huge metal scaffolding things I was in the horizon in every movie scene in London? They look semi-circular.

by Anonymousreply 14612/07/2012

4, 5, 8 and 9 annoy me. As does the habit of saying "folks" or "we reached out to". But, what really annoys me is this habit of saying "God bless America" or mentioning God in political discussions, and I don't just mean the hardcore religious freaks.

by Anonymousreply 112/05/2012

And the reverse.

by Anonymousreply 212/05/2012

[quote]In America, actual humans say things like “Ma’am, you have been an awesome customer today,” just because I bought a box of tampons from their store.

Someone needs to introduce him to the bitches at any drug store like Rite-Aid or Duane Reade.

by Anonymousreply 312/05/2012

[quote]. No matter how many saltwater baths you give your bird, turkey meat is dry, insipid and stringy.

Well, i'm sure this can happen if you let a Brit cook one.

by Anonymousreply 412/05/2012

[quote]10 things Americans do that drive Brits nuts

Go to the dentist regularly.

by Anonymousreply 512/05/2012

R1 why would our spelling and pronunciation bug you? I don't know why we dropped the "u" in some words but it's pretty harmless. We pronounce herb and filet the French way because they are French words and are pronounced that way. Like one commenter said we say fajita and quesadilla the Spanish way too. They would sound ridiculous anglicized.

by Anonymousreply 612/05/2012

That person did not go to school.

by Anonymousreply 712/05/2012

If you hate they way we pronounce fillet then I bid you two restaurants with a nasal French n and no t.

Maude, lets skip the cafe (hrymes with chafe)and find an Indian restaurann. I could kill for curry.

by Anonymousreply 912/05/2012

They still haven't gotten over that little independence thing.

by Anonymousreply 1012/05/2012

[quote]Go to the dentist regularly.

Brits have better teeth than Americans do. Do your research.

by Anonymousreply 1112/05/2012

Brits can't pronounce any word with an 'a' at the end. They us 'er' in place of the 'a.'

by Anonymousreply 1212/05/2012

What's with this myth you can't get curry here? I have about 5 or 6 Indian places near me?

by Anonymousreply 1312/05/2012

When I was a kiddie from England, my brother and I used to grin when they'd come over and tell you the specials in restaurants.

Hi, my name is Cooper and I'm your captain...& always things like: 'Egg Plant Parmeee-jarn' (WTF?) and the endive salad comes with a creamy 'erb dressing.

But, actually, it was sweet.

I remember going to an uptight business lunch with my father and my brother ordered 'Buttermilk' (why would that be on the menu?) and he took one sip and looked like he wanted to 'throw up' and trying to maintain our giggles for the rest of the lunch.

The 'I love your accent' thing is rarer and rarer now, but back in the '70s you'd get it all the time. Why that should bother anyone I do not know.

by Anonymousreply 1412/05/2012

Adding the letter U to words like colour is a fairly recent innovation in written British English. "Color" is closer to the Latin original anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1512/05/2012

R8 sounds like he's describing America -- every single one of those things reads true of Americans, except they're "fake" instead of "cold" (No. 2) and of course No. 10, which you could probably replace with Americans thinking everything they do is original.

I lived in the UK just two years ago. Very modern, clean, and my neighbors were fastidious about it.

And they were extremely warm and friendly.

by Anonymousreply 1612/05/2012

I say par-me-zon R14. How do you say it? Cooper was definitely odd in putting an "r" in the last syllable.

by Anonymousreply 1712/05/2012

Oops, should have been "par-ma-shon". What do British waiters/waitresses say?

by Anonymousreply 1812/05/2012

Have to agree with the over-the-top patriotism. I have neighbors whose homes look as if a production of "Yankee Doodle Dandy" is set to begin.

After living in London, what bothered me most about the English was their unrelenting cynicism that they attempted to pass off as sophistication.

by Anonymousreply 1912/05/2012

Not cleaning the stove top is a WASP thing seen on both sides of the Atlantic. In the US, it is a sign of "old money."

by Anonymousreply 2012/05/2012

R11 considers dentures at 33 a sure sign that someone has been to the dentist.

by Anonymousreply 2112/05/2012

Being old money in the US means living in filth? Dirty stoves are disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 2212/05/2012

Aussie here - just wanna say:

I LOVE turkey! Dunno what that idiot Pom (as we call the British) is on about... (none of the other things on his list really bug me either - been to the US many times and love it!)

Honesty - he sounds appalling and like someone you'd cross the road to avoid. And I just know he's got an equally petty and silly list of hates about Aussies and other former colonial countries.

So have at it Yank DLers - more Pommy-bashing please! What are your top things that they do that drive you guys nuts?

by Anonymousreply 2312/05/2012

All i know is the UK and US need to get a room and stop inflicting the rest of the world with their mutual obsession with each others turns of phrase and such. Although the fascination often seems somewhat lop-sided in favour of the UK.

by Anonymousreply 2412/05/2012

R20, old money and true WASPS have people clean their stoves, and they trust it is done because they do not enter the kitchen themselves to check. They live foully only if they are required to do domestic work themselves, but if you are citing the habits of failures and alcoholics as the norm, you have a bit of selection bias.

If you must make things up, why not start with a description of your impeccable credentials and keen habits of observation? For veracity, throw in the hovels you have spent your time in.

by Anonymousreply 2512/05/2012

[quote]Brits have better teeth than Americans do.

If YOU say so, then it must be true.

by Anonymousreply 2612/05/2012

Worked in British office. British management is very evasive and does not take responsibility for decisions. My boss drank heavily and snored n meetings. Acted as though Americans were "thick" although he made some very bad choices for the company.

by Anonymousreply 2712/05/2012

[quote] What do British waiters/waitresses say?

Parme-ZANN, but if the cheese was really made in that part of Italy, it can be called Parmigiano.

[quote]Cooper was definitely odd in putting an "r" in the last syllable.

I think the "r" was an English way of indicating that the vowel was a long "ah" sound, not that Cooper was inserting an "r" sound.

by Anonymousreply 2812/05/2012

Watch it, Aussie. Plenty about you racist convict twats we both hate.

by Anonymousreply 2912/05/2012

There's also a BBC Canada, you know, but you never see articles like these posted on its website.

by Anonymousreply 3012/05/2012

What is it with people in the UK that they'll let their teeth turn to Indian corn? Glasgow was particularly frightening in the tooth decay department.

by Anonymousreply 3112/05/2012

I'll go R23. I knew a lot of British ex-pats at one time and all of them would bitch about not having "their" food available easily and things being different from home. There were several supermarkets that carried UK products like Tetley tea, Hobnobs and Patak's Indian sauces, etc. and lots of pubs they could get steak and kidney pies at but they still bitched. I used to get fed up and ask them why they didn't go back. I don't go to foreign countries and expect the same thing. That's the fun of travel. Don't even get me started on the ones that would go to Spain and hang out in British pubs the whole time. Forget cultural experiences, they would sit and drink all day in a pub.

by Anonymousreply 3212/05/2012

That's hilarious, R30. 'It's the BBC, but made dull enough for Canada'

by Anonymousreply 3312/05/2012

Oh, and of course a waiter in the UK wouldn't call it "eggplant" anything; it's called aubergine there.

by Anonymousreply 3412/05/2012

Oh r25 -- pull the stick out of your ass (and remove you mom's hand from your penis) and read Florence King.

by Anonymousreply 3512/05/2012

R24, poor Canadians, always on the periphery.

Face it, Aussies are much more interesting than you lot.

Canadians rank among New Zealanders on the Anglo interest-meter.

by Anonymousreply 3612/05/2012

OP, is the "metal scaffolding" thing to which you're referring the London Eye, perhaps?

Comments on the thread (by comment #):

2) The American upper class have been bestowing their children with family names as first names for centuries; it's only recently that the middle classes have done away with tradition and started naming their children "Madison" and the like when there isn't anyone with that last name in the family.

4) Move to NYC or Boston. Problem solved. No "relentless cheer" of any sort there!

5) Isn't "overzealous patriotism" totally a red-state thing? In any event, the British counterpart is overzealous obsession with its local footballers, including football hooligans, entire magazines and television shows dedicate to the over-the-top exploits of footballers and their wives (including, of course, the legendary "Footballer$ Wives"), and literal rioting when a team does or doesn't win against a certain rival.

6) Treating pets like people - well, I can't argue with that one. Anthropomorphizing is the technical term for what people do in terms of both pets and animals in general, projecting their human feelings onto them. This is most annoyingly done IMO in terms of defending their vegetarianism or veganism on the fact that "cows are just so *cute*!", never mind that cows have brains only slightly larger than a turd.

7) WTF? Only a *tiny* fringe of the population uses turkey as anything other than a Thanksgiving/Xmas dinner dish or as a lunch meat.

8) Spelling the "wrong" way. How fascinating. Can we, praytell, next argue about which of us is driving on the "wrong" side of the road?

9) Right. All those aristos on "Downton Abbey" calling for their valet and pronouncing it "VAL-it" instead of "val-A" are *so* much simpler than we pretentious Yanks.

10) No one in the U.S. says "fanny" on a regular basis, except perhaps older women in the rural South. Otherwise we invariably say "butt" or "ass." American women also *loathe* the word "panties" by a substantial majority and say "underwear" instead.

by Anonymousreply 3712/05/2012

I love Brits. I was born in the wrong country.

by Anonymousreply 3812/05/2012

I find the use of "folks" in America odd. I thought maybe it was just a regional thing but then I heard Obama say it in a speech. Do people really use that word in everyday speech?

by Anonymousreply 3912/05/2012

[quote] What's with this myth you can't get curry here? I have about 5 or 6 Indian places near me?

Plus you can buy Indian food in any Trader Joe's. I don't know if it's regional, but the freezer cases at all of my local supermarkets have samosas, saags, paneers, masala, pakooras, biryani. We have sauces, basmati and jasmine rice, chutneys, etc. The bread is a bit more difficult to find but you can get naan at Trader Joe's.

I wish I could get papdum easily.

by Anonymousreply 4012/05/2012

R36 Canada is like a mix of the least interesting parts from each of the UK, Australia, and the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 4112/05/2012

"A fouler, dirtier, dumber, meaner, more arrogant, or ruder group of nationals I have not encountered."

Project much, Americans? The most entertaining thing about this read is watching the yanks leap to their own defense and cite age old stereotypes as to why they are 'better' than the nation that gave birth to them. Oh, and no one gives a shit about your 'personal top 10' list R8. England's just jealous! Along with virtually every other country on Earth? I see.

by Anonymousreply 4212/05/2012

R42 = Brit who can't stand taking the piss when it's being done to him

by Anonymousreply 4312/05/2012

[quote] In any event, the British counterpart is overzealous obsession with its local footballers, including football hooligans

I couldn't believe that imdb and Wikipedia entries tell which football club an actor supports. "John Doe Is a supporter of the Blackburn Rovers."

"Joe Schmoe supports Sutton United."

by Anonymousreply 4412/05/2012

"British Kids Have The Best Teeth, New Study Shows"

Americans needs to keep their collective mouths shut about the British and their teeth. Turns out that kids in England have better dental hygiene than kids right here in the United States.

The Economist reports that Britain's children, along with the Germans, have the healthiest pearly whites of all, according to a new study by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. In contrast, Poland came in last -- a 12-year-old in that country has nearly four teeth that are missing, decayed or have fillings.

Where do American kids fall on the dental-heath continuum? Each child has at least one decayed or missing tooth. Other countries that need to do better brushing include Hungary, South Korea and Greece. Denmark, the Netherlands and Sweden can also claim toothy grinned bragging rights, according to the OECD, as kids there have fewer than one missing or decayed tooth.

Still looking for a great stocking stuffer? Consider a toothbrush.

by Anonymousreply 4512/05/2012

I knew DL couldn't handle this. Why are people getting so defensive? It's a stupid throw-away list, and attempt at humor.

[quote]confused people living on a used-up island who have nothing going for them except a long history of tyranny over others and some good writers.

Seriously, this list provoked that reaction?

by Anonymousreply 4612/05/2012

Graph: "Average number of decayed, or missing or filled teeth in a 12 year old."

Sorry, Americans.

by Anonymousreply 4712/05/2012

Hey Canada, does your version of the BBC air 100 hours a week of Top Gear?

I swear to fucking god bbc America does...

by Anonymousreply 4812/05/2012

If Americans are so horrible, so dumb, so lazy, then why does it own nearly everything, and is the richest country on the planet?

by Anonymousreply 4912/05/2012

this does not drive me nuts, but I never understood the Brit pronunciation of pasta (pass-tuh, rather than pah-stuh).

also their use of the word 'horny'...

I lived in London for seven months and while (ok, 'whilst' is pretty annoying, and while we're on it, 'snog' sounds like an exchange of mucosa) the weather was crap, and some of the council residents horrid, I truly loved it and would go back for another run.

by Anonymousreply 5012/05/2012

R49 because it's a bully who will take whatever it wants

by Anonymousreply 5112/05/2012

I don't believe lack of tooth brushing is the cause of all dental loss. Sugar intake, dry mouth, good protein intake and genetics play into it. The Japanese are quite fastidious in their dental hygiene. They used tongue scrapers before we did.

by Anonymousreply 5212/05/2012

[quote]Canada is like a mix of the least interesting parts from each of the UK, Australia, and the U.S.

Canada seems so boring. They don't have the political power and cultural influence that the US and the UK do, nor the exotica that Australia possesses. It seems like such a wasteland.

by Anonymousreply 5312/05/2012

Nobody says "panties," except on Seinfeld. We say "underwear."

"Knickers" sounds so 19th century.

by Anonymousreply 5412/05/2012

British Columbia, the Canadian Rockies and the Yukon are cool.

by Anonymousreply 5512/05/2012

To settle the teeth issue once and for all: we're not arguing that the Brits don't brush their teeth or have more cavities; we're arguing that a) they don't believe in orthodontics and b) have smiles that look positively *busted* as a result.

by Anonymousreply 5612/05/2012

R53! Stop being dumb! Canada is a huge economic power to the rest of the world and leads the world in peacekeeping efforts.

It's also stunningly beautiful; why do you think so much American film and television production actually takes place there? Because it looks great, has a pleasant educated workforce and doesn't have the collapsing infrastructure you find in America.

by Anonymousreply 5712/05/2012

R54 is correct. Knickers are like long underwear or bloomers our great-grannies wore.

by Anonymousreply 5812/05/2012

None of you know "boring shithole" until you've been to Central Asia.

by Anonymousreply 5912/05/2012

R45, posting a link to an article about an alleged scientific study that cannot be seen because the article has a dead link....not impressed.

by Anonymousreply 6012/05/2012

R43 = unable to string a sentence together. go figure!

Also, do Americans still believe they are the richest country on Earth? Adorable!

by Anonymousreply 6112/05/2012

R53, I'm seriously cringing in embarrassment for you. I know for a fact that not all Americans are as myopic about the world outside your borders. Canada is now to the rest of the world what the US was 100 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 6212/05/2012

R53, the only reason Australia seems "exotic" is because it's so far away. Clearly you've never been there, otherwise you'd know the solitary part of it that's even *remotely* exotic is the rainforest in and around Daintree National Park in Queensland, which covers about 1% of the continent. 80% of the rest of it, however, is barren desert. Geologically speaking, New Zealand, though much smaller, is *vastly* more intriguing, hence the reason they filmed all the LOTR films and many others there.

I'm no ra-ra Canada fan, and I think the stretch between the Canadian Rockies and Great Lakes is as big a wasteland as the American Midwest, but I certainly would never argue that British Columbia doesn't have some stunning vistas, and I absolutely adore Nova Scotia, particularly PEI. Also, Montreal and Quebec City are as close to a true European city as it gets in North America, EPCOT fakery notwithstanding.

R57, however, let's be real: the reason Canada subs for America in film and television is because a) it's cheaper and b) you can find locations resembling 90% of America, where these productions are invariably set, within an hour's drive from either Vancouver or Toronto.

by Anonymousreply 6312/05/2012

The other night I went into my local big Tesco ( a very mainstream supermarket) in West Kensington and they were installing an American section!! I'm dying to go back, when it's ready. That's something you used to have to go to Harrods or somewhere very expensive for. I could see they had Bazooka, but I'm hoping for Dubble Bubble and Big Red.

Above the entrance it said 'A little taste of home'...shows how many Americans live in London now.

by Anonymousreply 6412/05/2012

[quote]Canada is now to the rest of the world what the US was 100 years ago.

Oh? You're opening up your own Ellis Island to welcome the millions of refugees and immigrants seeking a better life for themselves and can't find it in places where they're barred from entry? Is PM Harper aware of this?

by Anonymousreply 6512/05/2012

[quote]Bazooka, but I'm hoping for Dubble Bubble and Big Red.

Quelle horreur! I don't even buy that stuff. Do they have a lot of tex-mex and Cajun ingredients over there. I'm afraid I couldn't survive without those.

by Anonymousreply 6612/05/2012

I am an American living in Northern England.

I have to say that journalists here just love to go on these bitter rants that they think are very witty. I've noticed it's an upper middle class thing here, you have to slag on everything to prove you're educated and in the know. In fact, slagging on everything is key form of humo(u)r here. Sometimes it is very funny. Most times it is tedious.

I really like the English in general. Most of them have a good social conscience and a strong drive towards decency. But most are very embarrassed by their own good natures, so they make all these attempts to cover them up by acting snarky and cynical(ooo sounds like DL), and I accept that.

The thing that Brits miss about America and Americans is that in some ways we are more sophisticated than them by virtue of having grown up in such a big melting pot. Sure the UK is becoming a melting pot itself, but it is still relatively new. Most of the educated, white English I know, are not as culturally fluid as the educated Americans I know. It has to do with this fear of embarrassment they have which informs all social interaction.

For example, picking up on foreign languages and foreign words. In America, so many foreign words have become part of daily language very naturally. Here people are so afraid that they will sound affected or wrong that they deliberately mispronounce almost every foreign word they can. Then they act all smug when somebody says it the right way! Maddening.

The English people I've met know WAY more about history than Americans and are usually much more saavy about political affairs. But they lack that sort of ease and kinship that many Americans have with different cultures.

by Anonymousreply 6712/05/2012

Knickers are synonymous with bloomers over here.

by Anonymousreply 6812/05/2012

I worked with an Englishwoman who loved to tell me that the U.S. had not had good tea since the Revolution. I have no idea why anyone would say that more than once.

I finally told her it was a small enough price to pay.

by Anonymousreply 6912/05/2012

R67 Very thoughtful and well said.

by Anonymousreply 7112/05/2012

Brits have much healthier teeth than Americans, but orthodontic care and whitening is uncommon except among certain groups (younger people, media types, upper middle class Londoners, etc.). This is because dental care is free in the UK, but orthodontic/cosmetic dentistry is considered to be a cosmetic treatment like botox, not standard.

I've lived in the UK and the US (London and Philadelphia) and never saw an adult with missing or visibly decayed teeth in the UK, apart from maybe elderly people. In Philadelphia I saw tons of adults with half their teeth missing or decayed. I'd never seen anything like it.

by Anonymousreply 7212/05/2012

R72, dental care in the U.S. is expensive. Most people don't have dental insurance coverage so they have to pay out of pocket for dentists' visits.

by Anonymousreply 7312/05/2012

Fewer and fewer people can afford dental care in the US thanks to lack of insurance, shitty jobs with shitty pay.

It's really difficult to get a dentist to pull all your teeth do you can get dentures. They want to do all kinds of implants and coveyings and each tooth is $5,000. That's a fixking ridiculous price.

So be careful who you make fun of. You may wind up losing your job, your home, your savings and your teeth one of these days.

by Anonymousreply 7412/05/2012

But what about the B.O.?

by Anonymousreply 7512/05/2012

Or you can go to Mexico and get it done more cheaply.

by Anonymousreply 7612/05/2012

I am not making fun of anyone, r74. Simply trying to point out the endless barrage of Brit-bashing and bragging about how Americans have perfect teeth and Brits all have terrible rotten teeth is a myth.

by Anonymousreply 7712/05/2012

[quote] they deliberately mispronounce almost every foreign word they can. Then they act all smug when somebody says it the right way!

This has always puzzled me. You are right, they deliberately mispronounce foreign words. I assumed it was because they feel superior to foreigners and refuse to kowtow to foreigners by incorrectly pronouncing inferior foreign words

Also, do they call all Indo/Pak food "a curry"? Vindaloo, tandoori chicken, pakora -- are these all referred to as "a curry?" . ("I got a take away curry on my way home.")

by Anonymousreply 7812/05/2012

[quote]In Philadelphia I saw tons of adults with half their teeth missing or decayed. I'd never seen anything like it.

I've never been to Philadelphia. Is it really a city where tons of adults are missing half of their teeth?

by Anonymousreply 7912/05/2012

Rocky Balboa punched them all in the mouth.

by Anonymousreply 8012/05/2012

The weird thing about Philadelphia is that not only are tons of adults missing their teeth or have badly rotting snags, they go around with their mouths open so that any stranger will see their rotten snagglemouths. That's how I could tell! No one even tries to hide it!

Philadelphia is a city of rotten-toothed mouth breathers.

In the UK, everyone has perfectly healthy teeth.

by Anonymousreply 8112/05/2012

I hate the estuary accent. It's so foul-sounding. It sounds so very deliberate when they swallow their Ls.

by Anonymousreply 8212/05/2012

Thanks, Aussie @ r23. I don't mind having the piss taken out of us, but it's so rare that we Americans are complimented about anything, it means a lot when it happens.

by Anonymousreply 8312/05/2012

My supermarket has a British section, R64 -- Lucozade, Hobnobs, John West tinned fish (which I found a bit strange to get used to being my cousin's name), spotted dick, etc.

Putting warm (hot) milk in coffee seems rather strange! Isn't the idea of the milk to cool the beverage so it's at an easier temp to drink? And milk in tea ... PASS!

by Anonymousreply 8412/05/2012

I always laugh when I hear a brit say spaghetti bolognese. They pronounce it ball-ag-nah-si

by Anonymousreply 8512/05/2012

A 15 years old Simpsons joke about teeth should not be confused with fact. The OECD reported that British dental health is the best in the world. This is true, it's a verifiable fact. Universal healthcare plays its part, but dentistry services are not free to all in the UK, so we have to pay part of the cost, but my last checkup and polish was £11. A lot cheaper than the US, and that would explain a lot about the relationship between appalling dental health issues and poverty in Kentucky. There are many great things about the US but your healthcare, dental or otherwise, is not one of them.

by Anonymousreply 8612/05/2012

[quote]This has always puzzled me. You are right, they deliberately mispronounce foreign words. I assumed it was because they feel superior to foreigners and refuse to kowtow to foreigners by incorrectly pronouncing inferior foreign words

I think you've got it absolutely right.

It's also a class thing. The Upper Classes abhor the use of French words...lower classes use the word toilet, the upper classes say lavatory or loo. Lower classes say serviette, upper classes say napkin.

[quote]Putting warm (hot) milk in coffee seems rather strange! Isn't the idea of the milk to cool the beverage so it's at an easier temp to drink? And milk in tea ... PASS!

Warm milk in coffee is more of a continental European thing. The English don't usually do it.

Milk in tea...we wouldn't drink tea any other way.

by Anonymousreply 8712/05/2012

[quote]Oh? You're opening up your own Ellis Island to welcome the millions of refugees and immigrants seeking a better life for themselves and can't find it in places where they're barred from entry?

If you're asking if Canada receives many, many immigrants and refugees, the answer is yes.

by Anonymousreply 8812/05/2012

Re: the patriotism thing: Were any British people around during this past summer? It felt like Germany circa 1936.

by Anonymousreply 8912/05/2012

I agree with the accent thing. Sometimes I hear, 'say ____' a dozen times a night. If you want to hear my accent, just have a conversation with me and you'll hear it.

by Anonymousreply 9012/05/2012

I lived in London and I did not see the famous bad teeth. I think this is a myth based on something from pre-WWII or something. I'm sure there are lots of problems with teeth in the US with everything being private and expensive.

I'm Canadian, and yes, it is boring. The only kind of interesting, fun place is Montreal, and I'm sick of that (esp the English-French divisions).

I'd love to live in London again or some parts of the US (esp cities: NY, Boston, SF). I love nice, intelligent people.

by Anonymousreply 9112/05/2012

This from a nation of people that eats baked beans for breakfast?

by Anonymousreply 9212/05/2012

[quote]This from a nation of people that eats baked beans for breakfast?

... or eats french fries out of a newspaper?!

by Anonymousreply 9312/05/2012

This from a nation that hyphenates last names to appear posh?

Camilla Parker-Bowles

Catherine Zeta-Jones

Trevor Rees-Jones

Helena Bonham-Carter

by Anonymousreply 9412/05/2012

"... or eats french fries out of a newspaper?!"

And calls them "chips".

THe first time I heard a guy say "I eat chips" I thought Erik Estrada and Larry Wilcox were awfully lucky.

by Anonymousreply 9512/05/2012

[quote].. or eats french fries out of a newspaper?!

We haven't done that for years...decades, even. But we do still add salt and vinegar to our Fish & Chips, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 9612/05/2012

This from a country that drinks beer mixed with soda?

by Anonymousreply 9712/05/2012

r8, I know you're Paul Theroux, you can't hide behind "anonymous". Does this post mean that you're still pissed off at your ex-wife?

by Anonymousreply 9812/06/2012

God what an annoying nitpicky article. It points out why I hate the Brits.

by Anonymousreply 9912/06/2012

But Americans ARE all gun totting fat Jesus freaks.

by Anonymousreply 10012/06/2012

r84 the point of milk in coffee is that it changes the taste. Those who warm it do it so the coffee will stay hot to warm longer.

by Anonymousreply 10112/06/2012

So, when a British person says they are going to "have a curry," they don't mean an actual dish with curry in it but rather mean any sort of Indian food? Isn't that just a little bit vague? Is Thai food also called "a curry"?

Also, it seems that the things that Brits most detest about America (according to the BBC article) really pertain mostly to the South.

by Anonymousreply 10212/06/2012

The eternal 'bad teeth' shtick here must be made by losers who don't own a passport. Brit teeth haven't been shit since the 60s. But the lack of obsessional teeth straightening is a cultural thing: few are bothered by slightly angled teeth: it's considered normal and individual.

[quote]Geologically speaking, New Zealand, though much smaller, is *vastly* more intriguing,

Best be a geologist if you visit, because geology would be the only fucking thing remotely intriguing about New Zealand: one of the most boring, small-minded, and smuggest countries on earth.

The things that bother me about Americans:

1. Their stomach-turning sentimentalism.

2. That even the most sophisticated are breathtakingly niave in various ways.

3. Their assumption that they know everything and are always right.

by Anonymousreply 10412/06/2012

r104 are you British? I've noticed the British (English and Welsh especially) are incredibly bitter about New Zealand. Pathologically so.

Why is that exactly?

by Anonymousreply 10512/06/2012

Does this finding annoying things about the Brits thing also extend to BBC America?

by Anonymousreply 10612/06/2012

I wonder which one r104 resembles?

by Anonymousreply 10712/06/2012

Testing. Testing.

by Anonymousreply 10812/06/2012

I expected gay content here. I am confused.

by Anonymousreply 10912/06/2012

(R104) As an American living in the UK, I could absolutely say the same about most English people. Brits pretend not to be sentimental but they tear up like big softies at anything patriotic.(And I'm not especially patriotic, but I don't look down on it either) Furthermore, I've been a little shocked about how little most Brits know or understand about the US and how stodgy and unaware they are about most foreign cultures. It goes both ways.

by Anonymousreply 11012/06/2012

"I'm Canadian, and yes, it is boring. The only kind of interesting, fun place is Montreal"

Montreal is dreadfully boring. And interesting only to the people that live there and who tend to only travel to other places in Quebec and Hollywood, Florida.

by Anonymousreply 11112/06/2012

r103, "everyone" in Europe does not say we hate America, nor are we "jealous" of America, particularly its political system, economic inequity and its culture, which allows its loudest, incompetent, and pettiest people to lead discourse.

Most Europeans are fascinated by America and it's one of our top tourist destinations. We particularly enjoy New York, San Francisco and your national parks. We love your movies, TV, and pop music. And many Americans are lovely people. Your current President and his wife are hugely popular.

You can, however, generalize about us in this way: We see people like you as representative of the ignorant, generalizing, flippant and absurd loons who write or speak without thinking and give Americans a horrible reputation. We laugh at Americans like you. You're "I'm an American bitches" attitude doesn't represent gay Americans well either.

and p.s. - we haven't asked for your help in a long time. The last time there was a request between us, you asked us to help you in your recent wars. Most of Europe said no. And European and Asian money kept your banks from collapsing. You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 11212/06/2012

American teeth are really weird. They are all bleached and fake and resemble nothing like human teeth.

by Anonymousreply 11312/06/2012

Met a friendly, creative Bostonian once who told me, in all apparent sincerity, he met a Canadian from Toronto online once who he didn't think he could chat to as he didn't speak French. He truly believed all Canadians speak French.

Most Americans are blowhards. I take a Canadian any day.

by Anonymousreply 11412/06/2012

[R105] I've never known anyone to be anti-New Zealand - I'm British. Is this a new thing? I work with a few Kiwis and quick straw poll here in the office, no-one knows what you mean. For us New Zealand = beautiful scenery and tasty lamb. And Lord of the Rings. And maybe relatives who emigrated. The pathological hatred you describe sounds more like you're drunk or off your meds. Citation needed.

by Anonymousreply 11512/06/2012

R12 , Some Northeasterners in the US particularly New Yorkers can't pronounce an a at the end of the word it becomes "er" as well.

by Anonymousreply 11612/06/2012

I drink black breakfast tea with milk. That's how I was brought up. I would never drink a flavored tea with milk. I drink black tea with milk for breakfast and later in the day I have Chinese restaurant tea (i stop in and buy the tea bags every week) without milk.

I don't much like coffee, but when I drink it, I put milk in it and don't like flavored coffee. I can drink half and half in coffee if I have to, but not in tea. I drink skim milk in tea, but coffee doesn't taste good with skim milk.

by Anonymousreply 11712/06/2012

No, you have your stereotypes wrong, R111. Montrealers do not care about Florida (or the other parts of Quebec).

by Anonymousreply 11912/06/2012

New Zealanders are south Seas Poms really. At least that's what Aussies call them. Translation ,"The British of The South Seas". Kiwis and Brits like each other whereas Aussies and Brits don't! The Welsh,Irish,Scots and English are rather pasty and have bad taste in food. Eating in Sydney or Melbourne is like eating in San Francisco or New York. Yes , I know about the Brit foodie culture but who really eats like that there?

by Anonymousreply 12012/06/2012

I have a friend from ZA whose brother lives in NZ. He said NZ is beautiful, but unbelievably dull. It's interesting if you are a sheep farmer; otherwise you'd better like hiking and skiing. The cities are small compared to Europe and the Americas.

by Anonymousreply 12112/06/2012

[quote]Everyone in Europe is jealous of America because let's face it, we have the best climate. If you want the cold and snow, it's there for you. If you want warm, sunny beaches, we got it.

So does Europe. Do you think the whole of Europe has the weather of London?

by Anonymousreply 12312/06/2012

[quote]So, when a British person says they are going to "have a curry," they don't mean an actual dish with curry in it but rather mean any sort of Indian food? Isn't that just a little bit vague? Is Thai food also called "a curry"?

Curry means sauce, in America we have a spice blend we call curry, but any sort of Indian food in sauce would be a curry.

by Anonymousreply 12412/06/2012

122 - you really think anyone in Europe is jealous of your horrible cars, lack of healthcare, poor education system, strangely disparate and underfunded emergency services, fundamentalist gun nuts and non-existent public transport network?

by Anonymousreply 12512/06/2012

I have heard that there is going to be some sort of referendum on independence in Scotland sometime soon--what could this mean for the rest of Britain and Northern Ireland? Would Northern Ireland just give up and join the Republic? What about Ireland becoming a Commonwealth member, would that help matters in finally uniting that island? If Scotland becomes independent, what would that mean for the status of Elizabeth as Queen of Scotland? Or the idea of there being a "United Kingdom" for that matter? Is there a sentiment afoot in England to encourage Asians and blacks to emigrate? Is there a movement to create an English Parliament if Scotland does leave? There, I think I may have asked about 10 questions that will drive some Brits nuts in trying to answer them.

by Anonymousreply 12712/06/2012

R127, some of your questions are so daft there is no point attempting to answer them. If Scotland leaves, which I don't think it will, then it will retain the Queen and various other regalia. More important is what its status vis-a-vis the European Union, which is not a settled matter. It will be many decades before Northern Ireland joins the Republic. Why the hell would Ireland want to join the Commonwealth? Is there sentiment afoot in the US to encourage Asians and blacks to emigrate? England has a parliament, it's in Westminster.

R126 does not know much about the economy and society of Europe.

Ok, let's forget the funny American spelling, etc. But, why are so many of you people so into God? Is it possible to be elected to public office without going on about God all the time?

by Anonymousreply 12812/06/2012

[quote]I agree with the accent thing. Sometimes I hear, 'say ____' a dozen times a night.

I had this happen to me in London. I'm from TX and had several people tell me to "talk" on command. WTF am I supposed to say?

I still want to know how they pronounce quesadilla and fajita.

by Anonymousreply 12912/06/2012

R128 a lot of us wonder about that god thing too.

by Anonymousreply 13012/06/2012

I told you my questions would slightly annoy you r128. I meant an English parliament in the sense that Scotland now has its own Parliament and Wales has its own Assembly (I think it's called an Assembly??). It somehow puzzles me that the Parliament in Westminster isn't more of a national, that is, UK parliament and each of the constituent nations also has their own legislative body, or am I thinking too much like an American; the states have legislatures and then on the federal level there is the Congress. OK, for calling me (or rather my other questions) daft I have more questions: does anyone ever want the old money system back in place (I know it will never take place any more than Latin returning to the Catholic Church), that is, pounds, shillings and pence? Is it true that if you're tired of London you're tired of life or is it just tired of spending too much money?

by Anonymousreply 13112/06/2012

(R128) Many of us in the US absolutely hate the religious nuttery.

Much of the US was settled by religious fanatics, looking for new locations to set up their own utopias. It would take that sort of group zeal to be organized enough to settle such a wild and big terrain. Since the land is full of natural resources, many of them found success and concluded that God had rewarded them by making them rich.

The idea has never really left the national psyche, unfortunately. And unfortunately, religious groups are still very organized and control a good deal of the political space.

by Anonymousreply 13212/06/2012

R128, I live in Madrid, where I see every day "the economy and society" crumbling down with my own little eyes

by Anonymousreply 13312/06/2012

r128 and r130, I think part of the reason why Americans (some of them) tend to look for the god thing in their politicians is because of the Puritan strain which, once again, we inherited from you. It has been said as well that Americans like to see the spouses of the candidates running for office, also as a result of the Puritan idea of God and family whereas many Europeans would never put their spouses "on display" while running for office. Having said that however, I think that nowadays, at least outside the South where I'm sure it is still taken seriously in a general way, the old Puritan reflex of referring to God in politics is more a habit of the media and what the politicians think the media expect them to say in that regard. I agree though that the less said about God and religion in general in American politics the better. Please bear in mind that alot of what you hear about the loud mouthed, know-it-all Americans who strain at a gnat for God applies largely to Southerners and there has been a certain amount of neo-secession sentiment among them lately as a result of Obama's re-election. Someone else also pointed this out. And it might be well to bear in mind also that American southerners are the one segment of the American population who culturally bear the most resemblance to their "Mother", not those in "New England". So it might be well to look to yourselves as a parent does with his own offspring to explain the quirks and fancies of their sons and daughters.

by Anonymousreply 13412/06/2012

PS-I have heard a number of southern Americans use the term "whilst" for while, some of them younger as well--Americans outside the South would never say it unless he or she were trying to be cute or funny. I don't think you have to look very far, those of you who are English, to find those who also use that term instead of "while"--nothing wrong with it, just different, don't change to saying "while" instead of "whilst" just because the Americans generally don't use it. And while I'm at it, keep calling it petrol and call trucks lorries--variety is the spice of life. If you start calling them trucks generally over there, I'm going to start calling them lorries over here.

by Anonymousreply 13512/06/2012

R133, I live in Athens and I still haven't seen anywhere in Europe such income disparities or levels of poverty as I've seen in the US.

by Anonymousreply 13612/06/2012

PS-A further thought about God in politics: I know it isn't mentioned much in political discourse in Britain, but the idea of there being a "Defender of the Faith" is enshrined in the office of your head of state, namely the Queen herself. I have heard and read that she regularly attends church services every Sunday, probably more as a matter of state duty. This is unlike her subjects who, the last I read, attend services on Sunday to the tune of maybe 10% of the population at best. This is not to defend or detract from the generally higher attendance at church that more Americans by comparison habitually continue. There is still, officially, a "wall of separation" between church and state in this country unlike, officially, in Britain.

by Anonymousreply 13712/06/2012

(R138) I don't know when things got so twisted in the US concerning individual appearance, but it did. I can't stand how every one just picks apart perfectly attractive or plain normal people for not looking all plastic perfect. There is less vanity in the UK in general, Simon Cowell aside.

by Anonymousreply 13912/06/2012

If you look closely at the crown the queen wears on state occasions, you will see a cross more in the form of a plus (+) sign. I think this is an oblique reference to the cross of Jesus Christ and Christianity, the more official status of which is related to what was inherited from the late Roman Empire.

by Anonymousreply 14012/06/2012

I'm sorry, but the author seems to be a complete dunce. Those are just cultural differences and only a pretentious fart would get bent out of shape about differences in spelling and pronunciation.

Lastly, how can a person not tell the difference between different American Bills? The faces are different, but beyond that even if you didn't feel like memorizing faces, the number amounts are printed in bod font on four corners of the bill. I know we spell things differently, but I am fairly confident our numbers, at least 1-100, are the same.

by Anonymousreply 14112/06/2012

r64, I was shocked to see Krispy Kreme donuts the last time I went to London. Off all the things to import from America, why Krispy Kreme donuts?

by Anonymousreply 14412/07/2012

"But, why are so many of you people so into God? Is it possible to be elected to public office without going on about God all the time?"

r128, the American POTUS isn't styled as the "Defender of the Faith" like the Queen/King of England. Now who's the Jesus freak?

by Anonymousreply 14512/07/2012

The monarch of the United Kingdom does not play a role in the political life of the country and only mentions God on rare, very specific occasions (e.g. Christmas). The title "Defender of the Faith", stupid as it is, is a historical one, going back several centuries. The prime minister of the UK, and prime ministers of other European countries, who are the heads of government, which is different from the ceremonial heads of state, do not go on about God in the way in which the POTUS does. Would it be possible for anyone in the US to be elected president without declaring their religious "beliefs"? What about Congress and local government? if you can't see that religion plays a far more prominent role in US political discourse than it does in the UK/Europe, then you're an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 14612/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!