Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anyone still job hunting?

Went on three interviews (3 different jobs) for a county job - wasn't hired for any of them.

Hints/Tips on better interviewing skills, etc.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 4003/20/2013

OP it is not what you know, it is who you know.

Oldest rule in the book.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 112/05/2012

After 9 months of being unemployed (laid off), I just got a great job with great benefits. Took a lot of resumes and interviews, but I got there!

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 212/05/2012

Since I'm over 50, I don't see a new job happening - ever?

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 312/05/2012

I'm over 50 too, r3

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 412/05/2012

and you guys wonder why actresses in Hollywood get plastic surgery and botox

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 512/05/2012

You're OP, r4?

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 612/05/2012

A 52-year old former colleague was laid off a year ago (nice, right before Christmas and bonus time) and she just landed her dream job. She had lots of interviews for various positions, so was encouraged that people were hiring, but just not her. She ended up going for interview and presentation skills training. I think it helped - this job she landed she was interviewed by a panel of 7 board members. You might want to look into some kind of training, OP. Another thing she did was use the notes function on her phone to jot down connections, contacts, numbers -- basically any job lead she came across. That's how she found out about the posting for the job she got. Good luck and chin up!

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 712/05/2012

I had a job interview yesterday. Don't know if I'm going to get it but the odd thing is that the recruiters (2 men) didn't know how much vacation time per year I would get. They were confused and it sounded like one week vacation for 2013 which would be ridiculous. Anyone experienced this before?

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 812/05/2012

Seriously, r8, you asked about vacation time on the first interview? Bad move.

To answer your question, 1 week after 6 months is standard in many organizations. Many companies have moved to an accrual system, where you earn hours/days for working a set amount of time.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 912/05/2012

R9, hmm...I've never had to ask during all the job interviews I've had in the past. They all told me vacation time I was entitled to up front. Every single interview. This was the first instance were they withheld that information, which is why I asked.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 1012/05/2012

I've always waited to ask about vacation until I was getting an offer, although usually they mention something beforehand.

Congratulations R2. Did you have any connections to land it, or did you get lucky?

I'm looking, but not too hard. (Still have my job, but I get increasingly frustrated with each passing day.) I'm seriously entertaining a career change to get out of corporate life. Although my head tells me I should probably stay in corporate another 10 years or so, for the salary & benefits.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 1112/06/2012

In interviews, I always do well in talking about the job. It's when they get to those bullshit HR psychology questions like "What is your greatest weakness" that I mess up. Any advice on how to sail through those?

Recently I was asked, "Describe a situation where you saved the day." I'm an Executive Assistant for chrissake. Every day I show up for work I save the day. Who the fuck else is going to get the coffee?

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 1212/06/2012

Your greatest weakness is 'no weakness' because every question an interview asks is how it pertains to this job.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 1312/06/2012

Print out a ton of interview questions on flash cards, write brief answers, and go over them. REPEATEDLY. Be enthusiastic (not simpering or desperate). Have good questions to ask them about the position (not simple ones you could have gotten from the website or research).

And, I agree, don't ask about vacations. (Do you need a job or not? If so, vacations are really the least of your concerns.)

I start a new job on Monday and this is what worked for me... YMMV.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 1412/06/2012

I've been looking for about 2 years; several interviews but now offers.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 1612/06/2012

go fuck yourself r15

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 1712/06/2012

R15, we're not discussing your tiny penis. So please calm down sweetie! :-)

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 1812/06/2012

I have been laid off for a year now and at age 58 I don't think anyone is interested in an aging queen like me despite having applied online for what are probably hundreds of jobs right now. Thank goodness I saved money in my IRA and 401k and got savings bonds (which are now earning 4% interest locked in--it wasn't much in the 80s when I got them but I guess it's good interest nowadays). I will probably have to fall back on that next year when I can get at it at age 59 1/2. I hope it can tide me over for a few years until I have to get on Social Security at 62.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 1912/06/2012

r1, I've heard that saying as "it's not who you know it's who you blow".

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 2012/06/2012

How much does you health insurance cost you R19? One needs a trust fund just for that!

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 2112/06/2012

I know what you're talking about r21 and right now I have Anthem Blue Cross at $304/month. If I didn't rent for very cheap from my older sister (I basically am a sort of housekeeper/cook for her and I own the only car so I'm the "chauffeur" as well) I couldn't make it. My benefit is $1020 an month and I buy all the food plus pay my insurances basically. If Anthem Blue Cross doesn't work out until I can finally get on Medicare at 65 I'm hoping that the new Health Care Law will somehow be able to help me until then. I guess this is all a matter of having been given a kind of "early retirement"--a little too early for real comfort for a while. My sister, who is still working for a few more years, has told me she can help me out financially if I get stuck between now and 62, but as it is I hope I can get by until then. I hope this answered your question. Are you in similar straights?

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 2212/06/2012

PS--I hope my situation illustrates the real value for keeping Obama in office. I shudder to think what would have been in store had the goddamn, fucking republicans somehow taken power (as you all know, they're not above cheating and stealing).

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 2312/06/2012

I'm really getting sick of this shit. I go to job interviews dressed nicely, act friendly, give pretty good answers to their questions, and even give them PROOF of what a good worker I am by showing them a portfolio of letters of recommendations, awards, yearly reviews, etc, that I've received and I STILL don't get the job! What the fuck is the deal with that BULLSHIT??? What the fuck do these cunts want? The worst part is that a lot of these interviewers are ugly cunts with daggers in their eyes, yet you have to pretend to be nice to them anyway.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 2401/27/2013

Ummm ... R24 ... I think these ladies can sense that see you them as "ugly cunts".

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 2501/27/2013

I haven't even been able to get an interview.

On the plus side, I currently have a job, but I'm not loving my management and some of my co-workers, thus my search over the last 6 months.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 2601/27/2013

What is interview training? Cause I need it.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 2702/14/2013

[R19] You can't discriminate on the basis of age but they sure do. If you have a little money try and find your own gig to bring in a few bucks. Working for yourself is about your only option. What are your hobbies, areas of interest, what do you know something about?

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 2802/14/2013

One interview I went on the prospective boss thought I would know who he was. All I knew was the company and his title. He seemed disappointed that I did not know anything about him and his illustrious career.

So the next interview I went on I Googled my prospective boss. I sort of worked some of that into the interview. The guy pretended to know nothing about any of that info.

So I guess just let them lead and smile, bluff and flatter.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 2902/14/2013

A few years ago I was unemployed and would have been in trouble. My hovel of a home was paid for as well as my junker cars. No CC debt but I mean really broke and I could never ask anyone for anything, not even food stamps. I did get a 10 hour a week job at minimum wage, just happened to be for the county. I interviewed twice to start with, first with my supervisor and then with her and her supervisor. As if that was not enough I then had to interview before a panel. I did get the job and the 260 dollars or so I took home every month was my only income for almost two years. I was required to work hours I was not payed for because they only paid what was budgeted and required to work an extra day I was not paid for with a promise they would give me a paid day off. Finally I got pissed and called payroll and made a stink. Everything they were doing is against employment laws. I finally quit, made a huge shitty stink as I am capable of and in the end smoked those miserable motherfuckers. I had to rattle cages, kept calling the county manager and bitching and in time was sent a big fucking check. I also took out my supervisor. I had a friend who owned a small antique store. I made a few bucks picking for him and did a few gigs with antiques and collectibles to bring in a few extra bucks.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 3002/14/2013

I'm still job hunting (unfortunately), and I can't do anything but laugh at all the bullshit these employers come up with, especially when it comes to job titles. One place is actually trying to call housekeepers "Enviornmental Service Workers". Give me a fucking break. Just call a spade a spade - giving a shitty job a fancy title doesn't change the fact it's still a shitty job.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 3103/20/2013

Lie. Lie as though your livelihood depended upon it.

(And don't listen to the HR drones who jabber on about references; more often than not, they don't bother to check/verify.)

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 3203/20/2013

The NYTimes every now and then runs a human interest story about the job situation for people over 50.

It seems that every job seeker that they interview is overweight, with baggy frumpy clothes and a bad hair cut.

Do they really expect to get hired?

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 3403/20/2013

Most companies don't hire misogynists, which rules out mouth-foaming queens like R33.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 3503/20/2013

R12 - google "interview one sheeter document". It's a template that helps you come up with answers to those type questions.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 3803/20/2013

Are employers required to tell an applicant if they're going to go ahead with a credit check? That could be injurious to your credit report- too many inquiries.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 3903/20/2013

R39 You have to sign something saying you agree to it before they can do it. I think it's bullshit that they want to do credit checks on top of everything else, and like you said, too many inquiries could be bad for your report.

by who do i have to blow to get a job around here?reply 4003/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.