Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Anne Finally Wins A Best Supporting Actress Award from the National Board of Review!!

Anne Dowd for Compliance!

Ha ha ha! Suck it Les Miserablestards!

Full list at link.

by Anonymousreply 5912/07/2012

Les Miserablestards? Oh, you're truly a class act, OP.

BTW, in your enthusiasm to be a boastful asshole, you neglected the fact that these winners have already been posted in the other thread.

Honestly, you're sounding like a Romney supporter who was convinced he'd beat Obama in a landslide. There's a lot of great films out this year, there shouldn't be any sweeps. Les Mis will get it's chance, I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 112/05/2012

Okay, now I like the Streep Toll. Speak!

by Anonymousreply 312/05/2012

And you sound like the Grand Canyon of cunts, Street troll (tm)

by Anonymousreply 412/05/2012

[quote]Anne Hathaway is painfully overexposed, and definitely does NOT need any award this year. No NBR, and no Oscar.

She's only overexposed if you read all the entertainment magazines, watch TMZ and all the afternoon talk shows and troll media internet sites.

For most of the world, who have jobs, families and friends, she's not overexposed at all.

by Anonymousreply 512/05/2012

There is serious blowback in Hollywood about Hathaway's chances at winning an Oscar. Academy members have taken offense at the non- stop onslaught of her "done deal " Oscar-winning performance spin from the moment she was cast in Les Miz. I am no Anne Hathaway hater, btw, and her work in the film is certainly good, but that's it. This is no can't be denied an Oscar performance by any stretch of the imagination and the way her pr machine has spun it like that has turned off many voters. Hence, enter Sally Field - or another spoiler.

by Anonymousreply 712/05/2012

Compliance is a lacklustre film, but damn Dowd is fantastic in it.

by Anonymousreply 812/05/2012

oh but Dowd is definitely Lead in Compliance (if not her...who?). Smart to position her as supporting though because she could possibly sneak in some award wins in that category.

by Anonymousreply 912/05/2012

Bradley Cooper for Best Actor? LOL. Was Channing Tatum the runner up?

by Anonymousreply 1012/05/2012

OP killed a dream I dream!

by Anonymousreply 1112/05/2012

[quote]She is everywhere, and not just to internet geeks[/quote]

The same could be said about Streep. She really needs to take off a year or two.

by Anonymousreply 1212/05/2012

Fine Op, but if not Anne who will win Supporting? Sally with a 3rd Oscar? Doubt it. Helen Hunt for the win (and a 2nd Oscar?) Not likely. Who else is even in the race?

by Anonymousreply 1312/05/2012

Amy Adams in THE MASTER.

by Anonymousreply 1412/05/2012

No one cares about Les Jiz except on DL.

by Anonymousreply 1512/05/2012

Judi Dench in Skyfall.

Jacki Weaver in SLP.

Ann Dowd in Compliance.

Amy Adams in The Master.

Maggie Smith in Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

Pauline Collins in Quartet.

by Anonymousreply 1612/05/2012

Jessica Lange in Therese Raquin.

by Anonymousreply 1712/05/2012

I wish she'd go away and take Franco with her.

by Anonymousreply 1812/05/2012

[quote]Sally with a 3rd Oscar? Doubt it.

The only way Sally can top her "You like me" speech from her previous win is to show up on stage completely naked to accept her third Oscar.

"How do ya like them eggrolls, Mr Lincoln?"

by Anonymousreply 1912/05/2012

Les Miserables was supposed to win, screw the oscars!

by Anonymousreply 2012/05/2012

Who the f*ck is Anne Dowd?

by Anonymousreply 2112/05/2012

Did movie critics go nuts this season? WTF??

by Anonymousreply 2212/05/2012

Another political war picture wins? No big surprise.

by Anonymousreply 2312/05/2012

I don't know if it means anything, but none of the critics top ten lists that have come out thus far (EW, Time, etc.) have included LES MIZ. I'm getting the distinct opinion that it's not the across-the-board, 100% certified smash everyone was initially predicting.

by Anonymousreply 2412/05/2012

Pauline Collins? Jessica Lange? Give me a break. Not going to happen

Ann Dowd got her award. No nomination.

The nominees will be:

Sally Field in LINCOLN

Amy Adams in THE MASTER

Helen Hunt in THE SESSIONS

Anne Hathaway in LES MISERABLES

Are all sure bets

The fifth slot will most likely be Maggie Smith for EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL.

by Anonymousreply 2512/05/2012

Real reviews of Les Miz haven't come out yet, right?

by Anonymousreply 2612/05/2012

No, R26, the embargo is lifted next Tuesday, after the film premieres in the US. So we can expect some REAL critiques then. I'm so sick of the gushing tweets from cast/crew and fans being passed off as reviews. The same thing happened with EVITA and looked what happened with that movie.

by Anonymousreply 2712/05/2012

[quote]I'm getting the distinct opinion that it's not the across-the-board, 100% certified smash everyone was initially predicting

No one is predicting a Les Jiz smash except Stairmaster, who is suddenly MIA.

by Anonymousreply 2812/05/2012

I would absolutely love for Anne Dowd to get an Oscar nomination. It would be in the wrong category (she is definitely the lead in Compliance) but if it helps her get more work, who cares? Unfortunately I don't see it happening; she doesn't cry or breakdown like an Oscar performance always does, it's just beautifully intricate character work.

Also fuck off Streep troll, stop derailing every goddamn movie thread.

by Anonymousreply 2912/05/2012

Meryl is not getting nominated this year. What makes you think she is, what do you know?

by Anonymousreply 3012/05/2012

[quote]she doesn't cry or breakdown like an Oscar performance always does,

That didn't stop me from winning!

by Anonymousreply 3112/05/2012

[quote]"How do ya like them eggrolls, Mr Lincoln?"

The image of Sally Field saying that on the stage tickles me to no end...

by Anonymousreply 3212/05/2012

[quote]I don't know if it means anything, but none of the critics top ten lists that have come out thus far (EW, Time, etc.) have included LES MIZ. I'm getting the distinct opinion that it's not the across-the-board, 100% certified smash everyone was initially predicting.

You actually think critics make a movie a success?

by Anonymousreply 3312/05/2012

[quote]Sorry, [R5]. She's in every other movie, had to claw her way into the Batman film (why??), and they'll club us to death with her role in Les Miz as well.

Every other movie? She was in two this year. Two in 2011, three in 2010. About the same number as Keira Knightley.

As for the Batman movie, I haven't seen it yet but most critics and people said she was one of the best things in the movie.

BTW, I'm a huge Streep fan.

by Anonymousreply 3412/05/2012

Is Therese Raquin with Jessica Lange even coming out this year? There is no release date on IMDB just 2013.

by Anonymousreply 3512/05/2012

I think Helen Hunt is vulnerable to lose out on a nomination. 1. She got that Oscar for AS Good that people now think was undeserved,,,2. Nobody likes her. 3. The movie may be off putting for elderly academy members....remember how they didn't vote fort Fassbender and Carey Mulligan last year when they took out their private parts?

by Anonymousreply 3612/05/2012

Never did I expect to see Ann Dowd get her own thread on DL! She appeared in small off-Loop theatres in Chicago in the 80's right after she graduated from DePaul. I always followed her career afterwards. She's one of those character actresses who has never really been a "name"--and now she had her own DL thread!

by Anonymousreply 3712/05/2012

[quote] If the race was based on quality

oh keep up r37 (although your idealism is sort of sweet)

by Anonymousreply 3912/05/2012

No disrespect intended but Bradley Cooper for best actor? Really?

by Anonymousreply 4012/06/2012

I'm a Hathaway fan (ducking here) and even I think her campaign is in trouble. Which is a shame as she's a major talent worthy of recognition.

She needs to drop the controlling and over-subscribed Stephen Huvane and get a publicist with more time to devote to her who's geared towards supporting her at a transitional stage of her career. Huvane is good but is more about big-celeb-oriented pr (JLo, Goop, Aniston, Witherspoon) and not for someone with more serious aspirations. The new Glamour mag cover & article are chintzy to the point of laughable. Is something Aniston would do, not someone aiming for an Oscar in a crowded field. Very poor campaign for her so far - less is more in these times.

Who does pr for Weisz and Portman? I’m thinking someone with a smaller client list and more time to devote to her and get her under control.

by Anonymousreply 4112/06/2012

R40- did you see Silver Linings Playbook? Bradley Cooper is wonderful and it's a wonderful film.

by Anonymousreply 4212/06/2012

Bradley is a sweety...I watched an interview with him on GoldDerby....what a cute, thoughtful guy.

by Anonymousreply 4312/06/2012

People are reading way too much into these awards. These things come from critics, NOT the people voting for Oscar. Critics awards often help narrow down the field for Oscar voters, sort of send them in the right direction with screener tapes, but winning one, or even several doesn't even mean you'll get a nomination, let alone win. Remember Sally Hawkins winning all those awards for Happy-Go-Lucky? No nomination. Same thing happened to Ally Sheedy for High Art, Don Cheadle for Devil in a Blue Dress, and many, many others. If word starts to leak out that there is backlash among actual academy members, then Anne's got something to worry about. After Melissa Leo and her ad, it seems to take a lot to ruin your chances these days.

by Anonymousreply 4412/06/2012

R44 But sally hawkins, don cheadle, and ally sheedy were exceptions. If the critics support you from different groups (especially la, ny and nbr) your virtually assured an oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 4512/06/2012

r38, it's not Adjani who is in Amour, but Huppert.

I have seen the film, and while Huppert is good (as usual), she doesn't have that much to work with.

Not award worthy at all.

Riva and JLT are superb, and I hope at least Riva gets in. JLT should win the Cesar next year, and Haneke deserves every single award he's up for.

Finally, r29: as long as I have supporters on this board, I'm not going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 4612/06/2012

Streep Troll, I like Michael Haneke and have seen ALL of his films, all of them, but Amour... I don't get all the love for it. For a largely unsentimental film, people are being awfully sentimental about it. I mean, if you've dealt with end of life issues - as most gay men of a certain age have, either caring for a loved one, a stranger in need of care or parents or other family members - this film has little impact. I sat through it and thought, "Well, at least they have a roof over their heads. They've got money. They've got each other. They don't seem to want or need any more than what they already have." Haneke's film is pretty lightweight in terms of end of life. They don't have to haggle with insurance companies. I actually thought this is the film where Haneke's self-importance really gets the better of him.

You want to see a gripping, no holds barred look at end of life issues? Watch Silverlake Life. It actually documents the end of a real life.

Amour? I don't get the love for it.

by Anonymousreply 4712/06/2012

r47, I think you're approaching the film from the wrong angle. It's not a study of social issues, social background, etc.

It's a film about a random couple, where death descends upon one of them (both, actually - depending on your interpretation of the ending).

Yes, it depicts a middle class couple.. but why should their story be less truthful because of that? Only a dying couple with financial worries is worthy of cinematic examination?

Nothing lightweight about this story at all. The intellectual punch of the film is in deconstructing our notions of death, of taking away expectations. You pointed out: "they don't seem to want (...) any more than what they already have".

But exactly that is the provocative core of the whole film!

The sobriety of both of the characters (as opposed to their daughter, who wants/needs/despairs) is the major intellectual statement of the film.

There is a lot of sentimental power in both the restraint of the film, and the fearless acting of the leads.

And the last scene but one (where she returns, and asks him to come along with her)... is sooo sentimental, so touching, I really don't understand how anyone can think otherwise.

Best film of the year, by far.

by Anonymousreply 4812/06/2012

[quote]What about Isabelle Adjani in "Amour"?

Well, she's not in it. That's about it.

by Anonymousreply 4912/06/2012

Yes, I meant Huppert. I was tired! Sue me!

by Anonymousreply 5012/06/2012

I guess. I was pretty ho-hum about it. I also thought JLT was excellent and carried the film. He's just as deserving of attention as Riva; they were, of course, both excellent.

I really don't see Amour troubling the box office much, let alone Oscar nominations.

by Anonymousreply 5112/06/2012

r51, nobody is predicting a cineplex smash with Amour, classic arthouse fare that it is.

It's a fantastic film with two amazing performances, and it's very unlikely it won't at least get best foreign film.

by Anonymousreply 5212/06/2012

R45, check out last year's awards from the four major critics associations. Kirsten Dunst won at National Society, Yun Jung Yee at LA, and Tilda Swinton at National Board, and none of them were nominated. Dunst was second at LA and Yee was second at National Society, so they had support from other groups. Steep only won at New York Film Critics and finished third at National Society.

Actor was more in line with actual nominations. Clooney won at National Board and Pitt won at Film Critics Circle and National Society, but Michael Fassbender, who won in LA, wasn't nominated, and neither was their second choice, Michael Shannon. Jean Dujardin didn't win at any of them, though he was third at National Society.

Supporting Actor had Albert Brooks winning at both Circle Critics and National Society, and he wasn't nominated, though LA and Board of Review winner Christopher Plummer was the Oscar winner. Jessica Chastain won LA, Film Critics, and National Society, and was nominated, but Shailene Woodley, who won at Board of Review, wasn't nominated, and she was third at National Society. Again, most winners get nominated, but many do not, and winning a critics award only sometimes leads to an Oscar. People burying Hathaway are being way premature.

by Anonymousreply 5312/07/2012

People who love Anne Hathaway are disturbed and should die.

by Anonymousreply 5412/07/2012

[quote]winning a critics award only sometimes leads to an Oscar

Tell me about it. A big movie star with horse teeth and a push-up bra doesn't need any critics' awards to fetch her an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5512/07/2012

[quote]Tell me about it. A big movie star with horse teeth and a push-up bra doesn't need any critics' awards to fetch her an Oscar

Actually Laura, I won the Los Angeles Film Critics, The National Board of Review,The Chicago Film critics Award, The London Critics Circle Award, The Broadcast Film Critics Award...

BTW sorry your Showtime series was cancelled but at least you still have your children....oh wait that's right you never were able to sad. It must be hard to feel like a woman when you are in a situation like yours. I guess that is why you take your tits out so much....overcompensating.

by Anonymousreply 5612/07/2012

Agree with r5 about AH's alleged "over exposure" and campaigning.

by Anonymousreply 5712/07/2012

[quote]For most of the world, who have jobs, families and friends, she's not overexposed at all.

or read the New York Times.....

by Anonymousreply 5812/07/2012

LA Critics this Sunday!!!!Fingers cross bitches!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5912/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!