Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Carol Channing as Marlene Dietrich.

I honestly don't think I've ever heard a more flawless celebrity imitation.

by Anonymousreply 1512/09/2012

That was amazing. I had no idea Carol Channing was that good!

by Anonymousreply 112/04/2012

I saw her about 7-8 years ago doing her one-woman show in NYC. She was still setting the stories and songs and was just uproarious. A fantastic storyteller and really only sang a few songs because her storytelling was so entertaining, the audience wouldn't let her stop talking to sing. She was that good.

by Anonymousreply 212/04/2012

What a Dame!

by Anonymousreply 312/05/2012

Jerry's Girls wasn't great, but the memory of Carol Channing doing Dietrich singing "La Cage Aux Folles" makes me laugh to this day.

by Anonymousreply 412/05/2012

Oh man, I wish I could have seen that, r4. Is it on the cast recording?

by Anonymousreply 512/05/2012

Also check out that clip of Channing as Cecilia Sisson, one of her all-time great bits.

by Anonymousreply 612/05/2012

She does a lot of good impressions. Here's her Ethel Merman

by Anonymousreply 712/05/2012

Her Tallulah is hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 812/05/2012

I clicked on this thinking this would be pretty cheesy, but she was laugh out loud funny. I remember seeing a special on PBS a number of years back, and was surprised at how charsamtic she was doing a live show (most of my exposure of her had been seeing her work with the Muppets as a kid). She is one of those performers whose "it" factor elevates what would be her objective talent (singing voice etc). She must have been pretty amazing when she first did Dolly and it was fresh and new.

by Anonymousreply 912/05/2012

In that Dietrich video, the transition with her eyes in the beginning! Amazing. I just knew of her in her later years and I thought she was a little over the top, tossing her diamonds to everybody. And then there was some scandal and an unconsummated marriage, or the guy was gay. Oh, and the "I don't remember eating corn" joke.

by Anonymousreply 1012/05/2012

"Brigitte Bardot - gott in himmel!"

She's really wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 1112/05/2012

Channing parodying Betty Hutton's treacly concert at the Palace. (With a nor or two to Judy)

by Anonymousreply 1212/05/2012

You have no idea how popular she is in the regions...!!!

by Anonymousreply 1312/05/2012

She's iGot incredible style!

by Anonymousreply 1412/09/2012

Thank you for posting that, R12. That was hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 1512/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!