Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Disappointed by the Wii U.

I ended up buying the Deluxe set on a whim and it's not been a great experience.

Firstly it required a 45 minute upgrade out of the box. Then, we I attempted to access the Netflix app, that was another 20 minute download. Finally when I attempted to play NintendoLand, that also required a 20 minute upgrade.

I had the system on for 2 hours and between all the upgrades and the setup time I probably got 20 minutes of actual game playing which was rather mediocre.

I was also interested in the Tvii functionality, but that's not ready yet either.

It hasn't been a great out of the box experience.

Has anyone else bought one? What's been your experience so far?

by Anonymousreply 1212/27/2012

Don't most systems and apps all have install times? It's not like you'll have to do that every time you want to play that game or access netflix.

by Anonymousreply 112/04/2012

1st world problems my dear Veruca.

by Anonymousreply 212/04/2012

Yes but these were preinstalled applications that needed to be updated.

If several of the preinstalled apps had to be updated before they could run less than a month after the initial release and a major component of the console (Tvii) was postponed for a month, the system was released prematurely.

by Anonymousreply 312/04/2012

May I suggest Mr Ray's Wig- World

by Anonymousreply 412/04/2012

now i know where the first world problems meme come from

'Had to update WiiU before playing.I wonder if my therapist can see me tommorow morning,can't go on like this anymore'

by Anonymousreply 512/04/2012

Anybody get a Wii U for Christmas?

As a Nintendo fan I'm very curious about what people have to say, but not curious enough to buy one...yet.

by Anonymousreply 612/27/2012

Same boat as you, OP - if it makes you feel any better, apparently Nintendo is going to release another update (ANOTHER one!) to reduce loading times, because as of right now even when everything's updated it takes an ass-long time for apps (Youtube, Netflix, etc.) to load up and close down.

I mean, I guess this is part of joining the online console experience (the PS3's updates are also a pain in the ass, but go much faster), but they're clearly new to it and making rookie errors - they need to invest in getting better servers, because the download and update times are horrible right now.

It's definitely a rushed release, and not a great out-of-the-box experience. It's clear they wanted to make the holiday period even if the product needed more polish, similar to the 3DS's (rather abysmal) launch. Which is unfortunate, because before this Nintendo was pretty much always known for its polish (and their games had to be polished, because they couldn't do online updates and patches - now that they have the option, they seem a bit sloppier).

That being said, it has potential. I really do like the tablet, which is a nifty piece of technology (I was amazed how quickly you can switch screens with the TV, and there's virtually no lag). They just need better games to show it off - the launch offerings are a little slim. New Super Mario Bros. U is like the third NSMB game they've released this year - it's getting stale, and doesn't show off the system's features that well. It's just an HD NSMB.

I've actually heard a lot of good things about Zombi-U from the "hardcore" crowd, despite the lackluster marketing - apparently it's a really good entry in the survival horror genre (much better than weak offerings like Resident Evil 6) and uses the tablet features pretty well. But it's also pretty difficult, so if you're a casual gamer probably not for you.

by Anonymousreply 712/27/2012

I used one today that froze and the whole machine had to be unplugged fir it to return to normal. The power button didn't respond, which I've never seen happen with any other piece of technology.

by Anonymousreply 812/27/2012

WII isn't even Hi Def. Why don't you go back to you Zune.

by Anonymousreply 912/27/2012

[quote]WII isn't even Hi Def.

True, r10. But this thread is about the new Wii U which is an HD platform.

by Anonymousreply 1012/27/2012

They are made for eight year olds. How hard could it be OP? Go back to Pong.

by Anonymousreply 1112/27/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!