Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fox News benches Karl Rove and Dick Morris; producers must now get permission to book them

Today at 5:55 PM

The post-election soul searching going on inside the Republican Party is taking place inside Fox News as well.

ox News chief Roger Ailes, a canny marketer and protector of his network’s brand, has been taking steps since November to reposition Fox in the post-election media environment, freshening story lines — and in some cases, changing the characters.

According to multiple Fox sources, Ailes has issued a new directive to his staff: He wants the faces associated with the election off the air — for now. For Karl Rove and Dick Morris — a pair of pundits perhaps most closely aligned with Fox’s anti-Obama campaign — Ailes’s orders mean new rules. Ailes’s deputy, Fox News programming chief Bill Shine, has sent out orders mandating that producers must get permission before booking Rove or Morris.

Both pundits made several appearances in the days after the election, but their visibility on the network has dropped markedly. Inside Fox News, Morris’s Romney boosterism and reality-denying predictions became a punch line. At a rehearsal on the Saturday before the election, according to a source, anchor Megyn Kelly chuckled when she relayed to colleagues what someone had told her: “I really like Dick Morris. He’s always wrong but he makes me feel good.”

A Fox spokesperson confirmed the new booking rules for Rove and Morris, and explained that Shine’s message was “the election’s over.” Multiple sources say that Ailes was angry at Rove’s election-night tantrum when he disputed the network’s call for Obama. While the moment made for riveting television — it was Ailes’s decision to have Kelly confront the statisticians on air — in the end, it provided another data point for Fox’s critics.

A spokesperson for Ailes denied any rift between Ailes and Rove, and said the two plan to meet this week.

by Anonymousreply 2212/05/2012

Rove has his war chest of money and awful non-profits but what does Morris have? This has got to be a huge blow to him.

by Anonymousreply 112/04/2012

Rove recently made some public comment about how his "VOLUNTEER" job of running the Superpac was the hardest job he's ever had. Riiiggght!

by Anonymousreply 212/04/2012

Bwahahahhaha.

OUCH, muthafuckas!!!

The news against these reich wing pigs, just keeps getting better and better.

I couldn't have scripted a better ending to this election, if I had tried.

by Anonymousreply 312/04/2012

KKKarl has enough fat to last through the winter. Sadly.

by Anonymousreply 412/04/2012

Now he has a lot of time to do that hot gym teacher wife of his.

by Anonymousreply 512/04/2012

A pig getting rid of the old make-up and put on new make-up is still a pig.

by Anonymousreply 712/04/2012

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 812/04/2012

haha Dick.

by Anonymousreply 912/04/2012

You know Rove got a huge paycheck from his PAC. And he'll worm his way into the next election, too.

Dick Morris is a slime. He'll find some way to make money--writing op-eds or working for some think tank stupid enough to hire him or consulting. He's just on tv to feed his ego.

Ailes is being very smart about this. The big donors are still very pissed that they wasted so much money. Putting Rove and Morris on Fox just waves the red flag in front of them. He's getting them off the air to allow the money guys to cool off.

by Anonymousreply 1012/04/2012

Fuck it, their bench is deep. This just means more air time for Ann Coulter.

by Anonymousreply 1112/04/2012

Coulter at least is so out there she is sort of fun to watch...Rove is just plain evil though...and Dick would say anything as long as it bugs the Clintons.

by Anonymousreply 1212/04/2012

Damaged goods!!!

by Anonymousreply 1312/04/2012

They're just saving face for now. Nothing under the surface will change.

by Anonymousreply 1412/04/2012

I bet you anything it's not a weight bench.

by Anonymousreply 1512/04/2012

There are at least a dozen others they should "bench", including Ann Coulter and Grover Norquist.

by Anonymousreply 1612/05/2012

God, I'm sick of seeing Grover Norquist, and I don't even watch Fox.

by Anonymousreply 1712/05/2012

R10, I can't imagine any reputable op-ed page or think tank would hire Dick Morris. He has fallen far below those standards.

by Anonymousreply 1812/05/2012

This "benching" is only temporary. Once the next election cycle heats up, Rove will be back on the air more often.

Morris, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 1912/05/2012

[quote]The big donors are still very pissed that they wasted so much money. Putting Rove and Morris on Fox just waves the red flag in front of them. He's getting them off the air to allow the money guys to cool off.

I highly doubt that the rich donors actually watch Fox News. It's a Republican propaganda brainwash tool for the poor and stupid. All the rich donors have to do is to check their bank account statement and think to themselves 'It would be a great deal higher IF I have not wasted so much money on that stupid Romney/Ryan ticket ... THANK YOU KARL ROVE!!!!'.

by Anonymousreply 2012/05/2012

ha

by Anonymousreply 2112/05/2012

R20, I bet the rich actually do watch Fox news. Before the election, the New Yorker had an article abouta group of billionaires actually attending a Sarah Palin speech. So w/all of their money they don't find her inane? I guess not.

Just because someone's rich does not make them educated. So I bet they also salivate over the meanness and stupidity of Fox all day long...

by Anonymousreply 2212/05/2012
Need more help? Click Here.