Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Cher's Voice

I don't think she gets enough praise for her singing. Her vocals are strong and original. You know who's singing when you hear it.

What's your opinion?

by Anonymousreply 3812/06/2012

Listen to "The Way of Love"...very good singing from Cher.

by Anonymousreply 112/04/2012

She's an excellent singer, although of course, not everyone loves her voice. But she learned early on how to sing properly and preserve her vocal cords. That's why her voice is still strong after years of performing.

Most famous singers never learn how to sing correctly and that's why they lose their voices. Some do have a natural talent and are good breathers, but a lot aren't.

by Anonymousreply 212/04/2012

SHe sucks

by Anonymousreply 312/04/2012

I love her voice, always have, but many music critics over the years have lambasted her for it.

by Anonymousreply 412/04/2012

Cher and the late Karen Carpenter are the two greatest altos in pop music. They're both easily the most distinctive and easily recognizable altos in pop.

Cher needs a Kennedy Center Honor or something by now. What's been the holdup with that sort of thing?

by Anonymousreply 512/04/2012

This clip proves Cher's talent. "Alfie" is an extremely difficult song to perform - multiple key changes and tricky phrasings. She sings it flawlessly while looking gorgeous.

Her voice may not be your cup of tea, but the girl's got talent.

by Anonymousreply 612/04/2012

Agree she's a great vocal stylist and has recorded almost all forms of pop music, like Ronstadt. Love her on the American Songbook torch songs, "Bittersweet White Light" album, Sonny's production is over the top but her vocals are always heartfelt.

by Anonymousreply 712/04/2012

Meh

by Anonymousreply 812/04/2012

Highly underrated.

by Anonymousreply 912/04/2012

I love to sing songs in my Cher voice.

Every song sounds better when you sing it as Cher.

by Anonymousreply 1012/04/2012

She's never received the recognition she deserves as a singer. It may seem cool to bash her but she's outlasted her contempories and she's sold millions of records. Those millions of record buyers appreciate good singers when they hear them. The Way of Love has already been mentioned as a good example. After All, If I Could Turn Back Time, Gypsys Tramps & Thieves, The Beat Goes On...all display her singing talent as well as versatility. She does ballads, rock, pop, even the old standards very well with her unique and powerful voice. If you can't appreciate her voice, I'm sure she could give a shit. She's the one who's rich, r3, how much do you make?

by Anonymousreply 1112/04/2012

Um, no.

by Anonymousreply 1212/04/2012

Love Cher but not generally a good singer. She is unmistakeable , though, and can surely pitch the right song as well as anyone.

by Anonymousreply 1312/04/2012

Love, love, love Cher. Is she Streisand? No, but Cher has a damn good voice. Her voice is is on pitch and clear on a variety of songs. Cher is one of those freaks of nature whose voice has remained strong as she gets older. I'm not talking about the "autotune" that she seems to like lately; but rather, go see Cher in concert. "The Way of Love" sounds just as beautiful as when she sang it in the 1970s...and then she can break into "Strong Enough" and belt and dance her way all over the stage.

Cher deserves to be in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. But for some reason, those people who run that organization think it's cool to criticize or ignore one of the most enduring voices and performers in all of the entertainment business.

by Anonymousreply 1412/04/2012

From her last Vegas show

by Anonymousreply 1512/04/2012

Cher has a great voice but I think the most important thing about her voice is that it's very distinctive, which was essential in pop pre-internet when it was harder to find out the name of songs.

Nowadays you can just type a few lyrics your remember into a search engine and you'll get the song name and artist. I remember having to wait and listen to the radio for hours waiting for them to identify the name of songs, and sometimes the DJ wouldn't. It was very exasperating. Then you'd have to go to the record store and then say "What's the name of the song that goes like ...."

by Anonymousreply 1612/04/2012

She does a lot with a little.

That may sound like a back-handed compliment but it isn't really...

Honestly, I don't think she has an especially amazing voice or some unmatchable, incredible talent, but she certainly has developed an unmistakable, unique style and has parlayed that into a long, impressive career. Brava imho.

by Anonymousreply 1712/04/2012

That episode of her 70s variety show in which she performed all the roles in West Side Story was simultaneously preposterous and brilliant. Artists don't stretch themselves like that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1812/04/2012

"I'm calling from Malibu..."

by Anonymousreply 1912/04/2012

Hump for Cher.

by Anonymousreply 2012/04/2012

Sit back for a few minites and enjoy this terrific interview with Cher on ABC's 'Nightline:'

by Anonymousreply 2112/04/2012

Here is the full Las Vegas show, shot from a vid cam in the audience, The quality gets better after the opening number.

by Anonymousreply 2212/04/2012

Cher always was a novelty singer. Sonny and Cher were a novelty act. All the way back in the beginning, they parodized the thing they ended up being - and her success was built on her appearance and manner much more than her singing.

The plaudits here are silly without this context. Even at her most serious, the wobble-and-rat-a-tat-tat of her vibrato, the lazy elisions, the open-throated huffing, the huskiness - all the tricks she has used through her half-century in the business - have not just been her trademark. They have been the limiting traits that she used to convey "Cher." And that always has mattered much more than the technical appeal of her voice, which is very modest.

I like her. I like hearing her, even now, when the age and the electronic assistance have combined to produce the Cher-bot we see and hear today.

by Anonymousreply 2312/04/2012

[quote] her success was built on her appearance and manner much more than her singing.

R23. Well get a load of you. Big friggin know-it-all. Cher was able to combine her looks, manner and fashion with a pretty goddamn good singing voice. However, you prefer to shower us with bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 2412/04/2012

I don't know if she's the greatest singer ever but her voice is definitely distinctive. Certainly, by the standards of today's awful pop-tarts, she's a goddess of song.

And really, her dramatic talent and fabulous personality make her a thousand times more interesting and fun than these girls will ever be.

Plus, she can survive a nuclear holocaust.

I don't think we get enough Cher, what is she doing?

by Anonymousreply 2512/04/2012

R25. You got me thinking. With all the different cable television networks these days, there should be a Cher network, e.g., interviews, videos, concerts, Las Vegas appearances, Cher hangong around the house, Cher going for coffee with her girlfriends, Cher in the recording studio, Chaz and Elijah Blue visiting Cher, etc.

Yeah, I'm obsessed with Cher, Queen of the Universe.

by Anonymousreply 2612/04/2012

Unofficial remixes of her new song

by Anonymousreply 2712/05/2012

Recorded for the pediatric AIDS foundation.

by Anonymousreply 2812/05/2012

Cher has a very effective voice for the kind of music she performs. She's a good belter and her voice is great for the rock/pop genre.

It's not a great voice, but it's strong and enjoyable and you always know it's Cher singing.

by Anonymousreply 2912/05/2012

She's not that great of a singer. Gregg Allman told her that once and she got quite miffed at saying that if he didn't like her singing a lot of other fucking people did! But he was right.

by Anonymousreply 3012/05/2012

r23 - I like what you had to say.

by Anonymousreply 3112/05/2012

I don't know. Cher was a bit pitchy in her last movie. Link below.

by Anonymousreply 3212/05/2012

I watched part of the concert at R22 and some of it was funny (kathy griffin influence?) but most of it was sad and pathetic. She looks beyond bored.

by Anonymousreply 3312/05/2012

r33

In her defense, that was the last show, she had done it 300 times. I saw it on opening night and she had much more energy.

by Anonymousreply 3412/06/2012

Cher's technique is to bellow.

by Anonymousreply 3512/06/2012

She seems like a nice person, but she is not a good singer.

She is a personality.

by Anonymousreply 3612/06/2012

Inventing David Geffen had a segment of "David's Song" from the "Half Breed" album, written by David Paich of Toto fame, and she really sounds good on that song. I always thought it was about Paich but maybe it's David Geffen. It's on the "Bittersweet" cd.

by Anonymousreply 3712/06/2012

[quote] You know who's singing when you hear it.

I know William Shatner is singing when I hear it.

Cher has a servicable voice and it's worked very well for her. I wish she hadn't messed with her face so much - that says a lot about her and makes me sad. I'd like to see her act more - I thoroughly enjoy her on screen.

by Anonymousreply 3812/06/2012
Need more help? Click Here.