Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol is back, bitches!

For the 50th anniversary, NBC will be airing the special on Dec 22 at 8pm.

by Can't Waitreply 6801/01/2013

I hope that is not exclusive. Then no one else will run it.

by Can't Waitreply 112/04/2012

Damn, I have a Christmas party that night! Hmm, I wonder if I could convince the others that... never mind.

by Can't Waitreply 212/04/2012

The worst Christmas episode evah

by Can't Waitreply 312/04/2012

The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come used to scare holy hell out of me.

by Can't Waitreply 412/04/2012

It's great to be back on Broadway!

by Can't Waitreply 512/04/2012

"Jingle, Jingle coins how they jingle, make such a lovely sound"

by Can't Waitreply 612/04/2012

It's ringle, not jingle you dumb fuck!

by Can't Waitreply 712/04/2012

This always makes me teary. Poor little Ebenezer all alone at school.

A hand for each hand was planned for the world Why don't my fingers reach?

Millions of grains of sand in the world

Why such a lonely beach?

by Can't Waitreply 812/04/2012

50th anniversary? Wow, that makes me feel old. Was it a Rankin/Bass or ??? I don't remember.

by Can't Waitreply 912/04/2012

It has a great score by Jule Styne (Funny Girl/Gypsy/Peter Pan/Gentleman Prefer Blondes) and besides Jim Backus as Magoo, Jack Cassidy, Jane Kean and Morrey Amsterdam are in the cast.

by Can't Waitreply 1012/04/2012

Mr. Magoo is SO VERY politically incorrect between making fun of Chinese people and the visually impaired!

by Can't Waitreply 1112/04/2012

"Winter Was Warm" is a great song.

by Can't Waitreply 1212/04/2012

Oh Magoo, you've done it again.

by Can't Waitreply 1312/04/2012

Why wait?

by Can't Waitreply 1412/04/2012

!!!!! YES !!!!!

by Can't Waitreply 1512/04/2012

It was the first version of A Christmas Carol I'd ever seen.

I believe it was the first animated Christmas special.

by Can't Waitreply 1612/04/2012

I remember being disturbed by the open mouths singing, "La la la," in the We're Despicable song.

Younger people I've shown this to have found it horrid. But they don't understand that our only alternative Christmas special was "Amahl and the Night Visitors," so we have fond memories of this cartoon.

by Can't Waitreply 1712/04/2012

Razzleberry dressing!

by Can't Waitreply 1812/05/2012

Little Ebeneezer only had 4 fingers. That always disturbed me when he traced his hand on the blackboard

by Can't Waitreply 1912/05/2012

Why watch it on NBC with commercials when it's available on Blu-ray.

by Can't Waitreply 2012/05/2012

This is my favorite childhood Christmas show. Great songs and pathos!

by Can't Waitreply 2112/05/2012

I really loved this as a kid back in the 1960s. Looking at it again now, it seems somewhat quaint, but very dated. The best part is the music by Jule Styne.

by Can't Waitreply 2212/05/2012

Does anyone under 50 know the character? Are Mr. Magoo cartoons still in circulation?

by Can't Waitreply 2312/05/2012

I liked it when Mr Magoo said, "We should've nuked your Jap asses even more."

And then his houseboy says, "No, Mr Magloo, I's Chinaman."

And Magoo says "Commie"

by Can't Waitreply 2412/05/2012

MaGloo's "boy" was racist.

by Can't Waitreply 2512/07/2012

I like the series where they do great books of literature

by Can't Waitreply 2612/21/2012

R20 = Mitt Romney

by Can't Waitreply 2712/21/2012

That was a disgrace. The only decent version was the 1951 movie Scrooge. And even that strayed so far from the book it was barely passable.

by Can't Waitreply 2812/22/2012

I'd kick you in the nuts if I could see 'em R28.

by Can't Waitreply 2912/22/2012

Soon

by Can't Waitreply 3012/22/2012

Has NBC cut parts from this?

by Can't Waitreply 3112/22/2012

I don't think it's cut but the commercials are HORRIBLY placed.

by Can't Waitreply 3212/22/2012

God, I saw this so long ago. And the only thing I can remember about it is that it made me cry! I seem to recall some little children caroling and Magoo/Scrooge screaming at them to get lost; I remember having tears in my eyes at his cruelty. I also remember Bob Cratchit shivering in his ice-cold office, shuddering "cold, so cold" or something to that effect. That made me cry, too. I don't think I want to watch this again!

by Can't Waitreply 3312/22/2012

I take it back--they just chopped the ending off.

by Can't Waitreply 3412/22/2012

Very sad what NBC did to it.

by Can't Waitreply 3512/22/2012

This was cut beyond belief! I expected a really nice 50th anniversary introduction, a little history on the production, the song writers and stars. But NO! All the broadway parts were cut out and they even cut the last song after Scrooge visited the Cratchets and they were so happy. They even cut to a commercial in the middle of a song. I am so disappointed in NBC. They had the opportunity to do something special here and they blew it.

by Can't Waitreply 3612/22/2012

I was 6 years old when I saw it and it was the irst time I ever saw or heard the story of A Christmas Carol. I didn't know it was a book by Charles dickens. I thought it was just a story told by Mr Magoo and I thought it was so very sad when young Ebenezer was all alone at the school and when Tiny Tim died in the future. I think I cried about Tiny Tim and didn't quite understand how he became alive again, but I was very happy that he did. Marley's ghost scared me. But the ending was happy.

The animation wasn't just crude, but all of he characters are drawn unattractively. The Crachit children look like small old people and Tiny Tim seems a little retarded.hes got that bug head and was obsessed with woofle jelly cakes and razzle berry dressing. Most of the male characters, except for Ebenezer, looked like they might turn into George Jetson.

I can definitely see how younger people would be perplexed by our fondness for this show. It was the very first animated Christmas show and we were very excited to see it -- a Christmas show just for kids! And it's how many of us became familiar with the story.

by Can't Waitreply 3712/22/2012

Just tuned in--and NBC has cut the first five minutes! Yet they'll pad it with commercials to fill the one-hour time slot.

I'm out.

by Can't Waitreply 3812/22/2012

Thank GOD the Blu Ray DVD is so good.

This was disgraceful. Shame on you, NBC!

by Can't Waitreply 3912/22/2012

I recorded it to watch with my 8-yr old. Is it really that butchered?

by Can't Waitreply 4012/22/2012

...And y'all make fun of fraus.

by Can't Waitreply 4112/22/2012

[quote]I recorded it to watch with my 8-yr old. Is it really that butchered?

Let's put it like this: it's a 53-minute program squeezed into a one hour time slot.

by Can't Waitreply 4212/22/2012

YES R40! It was cut so that it was almost unenjoyable. Please do yourself a favor and go out and buy the DVD or Blue Ray and see the whole show the way it was meant to be seen. Not as NBC showed it. THAT was horrible.

by Can't Waitreply 4312/22/2012

I have MR. MAGOO'S CHRISTMAS CAROL on DVD. Is it really on Blu-Ray? I'm surprised but happy to hear that.

What kind of network idiots would telecast a severely edited version of a classic show that's available complete on home video? If anything, as someone in this thread pointed out, they should have done the opposite -- given it a 90 minute time slot and filled out the extra time with a guest host, some nice features on the movie and its 50th anniversay, etc.

P.S. I didn't realize this until someone said it on an NPR feature, but Tiny Tim in this version is "played" by....Gerald McBoingBoing!

by Can't Waitreply 4412/22/2012

For all you uncut fetishists, it's on Netflix instant watch until January 1st.

by Can't Waitreply 4512/22/2012

Outside of the Broadway sequence in the beginning, what else was cut?

by Can't Waitreply 4612/23/2012

The whole show has a Broadway "framing" device - not just the opening and closing Broadway numbers (both totally cut) but flashes back to the theater with a curtain dropping at each commercial break.

(BTW, I was totally reminded of Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol while watching the new Anna Karenina movie with Keira Knightley - same device).

The titles were also cut - the credits for Jack Cassidy, Jane Kean and Morey Amsterdam were missing.

Plus other numbers were cut (as noted above, they went to a commercial in the middle of a song!) as was plot and dialogue. The show as originally aired had the commercials in specific places - like an Act ending of a play - with a return to the "Back on Broadway" frame. This airing had too many commercials, just stuck in willy nilly.

GET THE BLURAY! It's cheap and so worth it! And the special features are great.

by Can't Waitreply 4712/23/2012

I just requested it from the library. Looking forward...

by Can't Waitreply 4812/23/2012

[quote]GET THE BLURAY! It's cheap and so worth it! And the special features are great.

Or better yet since the show didn't change any and you've seen it, donate the money to a charity.

That's what Christmas is about helping less fortunate people.

It's NOT about buying things you already have or seeing things again. It's not like the ending changes.

by Can't Waitreply 4912/23/2012

NBC knows how to do these things - they give three hours every year to It's a Wonderful Life. I wonder how and why they dropped the ball on this one.

by Can't Waitreply 5012/23/2012

NBC's Yuletide reminder that commercial network television is the worst place to view video.

While we are on the rare subject of Mister Magoo's musical comedy skills, here is a fun cartoon made sixty years ago in which the old fogey cuts a mean rug at the 67th Rutgers Alumni "Old Grad" Ball.

by Can't Waitreply 5112/23/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Can't Waitreply 5212/23/2012

That was pretty bad. NBC butchered it.

What a way to destroy a childhood memory. I loved Mr Magoo as a kid.

I can't imagine anyone who didn't know the character already understanding any of this. They really didn't even do anything to establish the central characteristic of Magoo -- that he's so near-sighted -- other than one quick reference to Ebeneezer being to cheap to buy spectacles, that was it.

Does Mr Magoo still air on TV would anyone born after 1970 even know the character?

by Can't Waitreply 5312/23/2012

[quote]Does anyone else think Mr. Magoo is probably well-hung?

It's the oh-oh-only way to fuck!

by Can't Waitreply 5412/23/2012

This has to rank among the best scores for a children's musical. Mr. Magoo is goofy yet it has pathos.

by Can't Waitreply 5512/23/2012

Those cheap NBC fuckers. I had not seen it for many years but the butchering was obvious to me. Cutting off a song for a commercial was unconscionable. I sent in a complaint through NBC's web site.

by Can't Waitreply 5612/23/2012

Wow, it must suck to be a Mr. Magoo fan.

by Can't Waitreply 5712/23/2012

The complete, UNCUT version can be found in 3 parts on YouTube (for those like R49 with no disposable income). Enjoy!

by Can't Waitreply 5812/23/2012

Last year, ME TV showed it uncut, twice in a row on Xmas Eve and then again on Xmas day.

I feel very lucky to have missed this NBC debacle.

by Can't Waitreply 5912/23/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Can't Waitreply 6012/23/2012

Get it from itunes and watch on your ipad. Bitches.

by Can't Waitreply 6112/23/2012

And dingle berry dressing...

by Can't Waitreply 6212/24/2012

Just saw the butchered version on TIVO. Damn them!! Why did they even bother to run it if they had to cut 15 minutes out of it!! Stupid. Why couldn't they've run it in a 90 min slot? Obviously the content to commercial ratio is a lot higher now than in 1962. Then I think it was 4 minutes commercials and 26 minutes content. What is it now?

by Can't Waitreply 6312/24/2012

[quote]Then I think it was 4 minutes commercials and 26 minutes content. What is it now?

On MSNBC it's approximately 4 minutes of content to 26 minutes of commercials.

by Can't Waitreply 6412/24/2012

I hope that NBC NEVER shows this again!

Can't believe how butchered it was, and there was no history about the special or the character.

I was almost certain they were gonna cut "Winter Was Warm", but it just made it.

Buy or rent it on dvd, bitches.

by Can't Waitreply 6512/25/2012

Going down the stony end, I never wanted to go

Down the stony end

Momma let me start all over

Cradle me, mommy cradle me again....

I can still remember him, with love light in his eyes

But the light flickered out and parted

As the sun began to rise

No I don't believe I want to see the morning.......

by Can't Waitreply 6612/27/2012

Wrong thread, Laura Nyro....

by Can't Waitreply 6712/27/2012

[quote] Then I think it was 4 minutes commercials and 26 minutes content. What is it now?

I watched the first four seasons of Breaking Bad on Netflix. When season five was on AMC I literally could not sit through the show because it seemed to have 40 minutes of commercials to 20 minutes of show.

I'll wait for season five on Netflix.

by Can't Waitreply 6801/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.