Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

New York Post Cover Shows Ki Suk Han, Man Run Over By Subway Train, Moments Before Death

Why the fuck is this paper still running??!

by Anonymousreply 9712/05/2012

It's Rupert Murdoch's, what do you expect?

by Anonymousreply 112/04/2012

Someone took time to snap that picture and didn't try to pull that guy up. I assumed he got paid for it, too. What a goddamn, fucking asshole. He should go to prison along with the murderer.

by Anonymousreply 212/04/2012

The photographer (a freelancer who works for the Post) said that he hoped the flash from his camera would prompt the driver to stop the train.

by Anonymousreply 312/04/2012

Please remember what city we are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 412/04/2012

I think he's lying R3

by Anonymousreply 512/04/2012

At that point the man was beyond help. Anyone who attempted to rescue him would get their arms torn off.

by Anonymousreply 612/04/2012

Conspiracy theory!

by Anonymousreply 712/04/2012

He hoped a flash from a camera (what kind of camera does he use with a flash?) would save the day. How about using an arm to pull the guy to safety. This freelance photographer is full of shit. I agree. Arrest the soulless bastard.

by Anonymousreply 812/04/2012

You looked at it didn't you?

by Anonymousreply 912/04/2012

I agree. It was already too late to save the man - the train was feet away when the photo was shot.

by Anonymousreply 1012/04/2012

LOOKING at it is a crime, R9? You've got quite an imagination, don't you.

by Anonymousreply 1112/04/2012

Suicide by train is common in Asia. A video very similiar to this incident was posted three weeks ago on the internet. An Indian man in India jumped on the tracks then waited at the ledge so the train would cut him in half. A link to the video is below.

by Anonymousreply 1212/04/2012

Who knows how this unfolded? The picture shows the train as being far too close to save the poor man in time. But did the photographer just happen to have his flash camera at the ready? It would seem he had to pause to get the camera and lighting ready to take the money shot. It'll be interesting to see what the other witnesses say. Oh, to warn the conductor with his flash? More like to [italic]blind[/italic] him.

Of course, it goes without saying that a Murdoch publication would put this on the front page of a tabloid. Does anyone remember when an NYU student leaped off the top balcony in the library foyer (I think it was)? Somebody took continuous action photos of the leap and fall. (sorry, don't know the photography term) The web version of the Post strung them together so viewers could see the person coming off the balcony in a little gif. I recall there was some outrage then, but not enough, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 1312/04/2012

Keep it classy, New Yahhhkkuhz!

by Anonymousreply 1412/04/2012

Rupert Murdoch and his ugly family do offer credence to the "reptilian 'elite' theory. Their business is based on exploiting the parents of murdered children via hacked cell phones, photos of emotionally lost people seconds before death, the citations could go on and on. He literally generates wealth from the suffering of others, then degrades the species by encouraging - some would say forcing - us to look at it. Rupert Murdoch - death pool 2013!

by Anonymousreply 1512/04/2012

Just saw the photog on Inside Edition -- maybe in his country, camera flashes will help rescue people who have been pushed on the tracks.

by Anonymousreply 1612/04/2012

Do not watch R12's link.

by Anonymousreply 1712/04/2012

I don't think a crime was committed legally, not pulling this man up. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm sure The Post could be sued for millions.

by Anonymousreply 1812/04/2012

Anything for a headline.

by Anonymousreply 1912/04/2012

Any decent person would have dropped their camera to rescue the person.

by Anonymousreply 2012/04/2012

Maybe someone will do Murdoch the honor of filming and posting his long overdue and hopefully ghastly death when it occurs. Wouldn't that be "fair & balanced"?

by Anonymousreply 2112/04/2012

Dr. Laura Kaplan, a second-year resident at Beth Israel Medical Center who was also on the platform, sprang into action, taking off her coat, grabbing her stethoscope and rushing over to try an administer CPR with the help of a nearby security guard.

“It was terrifying, but you run on adrenaline,” Kaplan told The Post. “There was no pulse, never, no reflexes.”

“I heard what I thought were heart sounds,” she added. “We started compressions, which is half of CPR. We were unable to perform rescue breathing [the other half of CPR] because there was blood coming out of his mouth. He wasn’t in the right position [for full CPR] and there was just no way to get him out of there.

“It was apparent there was not much I could do -- but you can’t not do something, you have to try.”

by Anonymousreply 2212/04/2012

Why is nobody even near the platform, trying to help or even failing to help?

How long before he fell did the train come, anybody know?

by Anonymousreply 2312/04/2012

[quote]Why is nobody even near the platform, trying to help or even failing to help?

They were probably too afraid of the guy who pushed the victim.

by Anonymousreply 2412/04/2012

How awful for this man's family to have to see the pic of his final moments. It would be hard to avoid it completely.

by Anonymousreply 2512/04/2012

I'm not clicking on it.

A read an article on this incident in the NY Times, and in the comments section, someone said she was on the train that hit the guy, and when she got out she saw people taking photos with their cell phones of the guy who was killed on the tracks.

by Anonymousreply 2612/04/2012

That sounds too morbid.

by Anonymousreply 2712/04/2012

[quote]At that point the man was beyond help. Anyone who attempted to rescue him would get their arms torn off.

That still doesn't make it okay for the NYPost to use that sick photo on their cover.

It's indefensible.

by Anonymousreply 2912/04/2012

Can't believe I'll be the most cynical bitch on this thread, but what if the photog pushed him?

by Anonymousreply 3112/04/2012

Dear God, R12, that is seriously disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 3212/04/2012

Of course r31. With a name like Abbasi, he must be a Muslim and therefore a fuckin' terrist.

by Anonymousreply 3312/04/2012

What the hell is wrong with r28?

by Anonymousreply 3412/04/2012

I hate this generation

by Anonymousreply 3512/04/2012

Murdoch is evil, but in fairness that kind of journalism has been a staple in NYC long before he got to North America.

And as r26 says, it's more than just one evil media mogul encouraging this: it's a societal norm in those under thirty. They live through their devices. The net depersonalizes everything.

by Anonymousreply 3612/04/2012

Don't most subways, including NYC's I would assume, have something known as a "suicide pit" which is the gap between the rails. If you find yourself on the tracks and a train coming, there should be enough space to lie face down in this gap and let the train the pass. You may get a mouthful of dirty subway water but it's better than getting hit.

by Anonymousreply 3712/04/2012

The subway was built in 1903 and they weren't on that wavelength R37.

by Anonymousreply 3812/04/2012

R37, R38 - Actually, the guy who saved the student who fell on the tracks after an epileptic seizure managed to find that gap. He covered the student as the train was train moved overhead.

[quote]On January 2, 2007, Autrey was waiting for a train at the 137th Street – City College subway station in Manhattan with his two young daughters. At around 12:45 p.m., he and two women noticed a young man, Cameron Hollopeter, having a seizure. Autrey borrowed a pen and used it to keep Hollopeter's jaw open. Following the seizure, Hollopeter stumbled from the platform, falling onto the tracks.

[quote]As Hollopeter lay on the tracks, Autrey saw the lights of an oncoming train. As one of the women held Autrey's daughters back away from the edge of the platform, Autrey dove onto the tracks. He thought he would be able to take Hollopeter off the tracks, but he realized there was not enough time to drag Hollopeter away. Instead, he protected Hollopeter by throwing himself over Hollopeter's body in a drainage trench between the tracks, where he held him down. Though the operator of the train applied the brakes, all but two cars still passed over them, close enough to leave grease on his cap.[3]

by Anonymousreply 3912/05/2012

I hope the Negro Wesley Autrey's heroism cancels out the crazy guy's crazy for R40. To restore his faith in at least part of the human race.

by Anonymousreply 4112/05/2012

Autrey really was/is a true hero. I can't imagine having the presence of mind to do what he did in that situation.

by Anonymousreply 4212/05/2012

On top of everything else, the follow up stories in the fucking POST are shit. For example, one of the stories gives an account of the doctor trying to help the victim with CPR after the accident, but they don't explain how the victim's body got up onto the platform. Did people on the platform pull his body up after he was struck? You'll never find the answer to that by reading that piece of shit rag called the NEW YORK POST.

by Anonymousreply 4312/05/2012

"Any decent person would have dropped their camera to rescue the person."

And gotten killed too.

Look, the guy with the camera was too far away to pull the guy up. I think all the people around were too stunned to react or else knew they'd be risking their own lives if they attempted a rescue.

The only one at fault is the monster who pushed the man in front of the train. He should go to jail for life for that.

by Anonymousreply 4412/05/2012

The NY Post runs at a loss. It has been in the red for years.

The only reason Murdoch keeps it running is because he can afford to and it still gives him yet another conduit through which he can air his vile views.

by Anonymousreply 4612/05/2012

There was also a story a few months back about a black guy who helped some mother whose stroller rolled onto the tracks. He jumped down onto the tracks to grab it.

It's more likely a black guy will help you down there, rather than the white, Wall Street asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4712/05/2012

Maybe Murdoch writes off his NY Post losses as a political contribution.

by Anonymousreply 4812/05/2012

Murdoch's bitch of a mother finally croaked at 103. One only hopes he joins her and I look forward to watching the family fights.

Tigerwife ain't giving up shit.

by Anonymousreply 4912/05/2012

Autrey's situation was a happy confluence of events that helped to save the young man's life. IIRC, this wasn't a usual time or subway for him to be at (I think he was with his daughters because they had a day off school). He happened to know what to do if someone is having a grand mal seizure. And, most curious of all, he worked in construction and he was accustomed to working in small spaces, hence he was able to accurately tell that he and the seizure victim would fit in that gap. It was more than just presence of mind to do something (although he had plenty of that, too.)

by Anonymousreply 5012/05/2012

When was this, R49? Can you imagine the large multi-family, multi-competing interest reunion at the funeral? No one can really avoid the matriarch's funeral, can they? I know she hated Wendi (or didn't approve of her, in the very least), but it would look kind of bad if she didn't show up.

Murdoch Family Reunion [italic]should[/italic] be a reality show. Only condition is that lawyers cannot be involved. Family members go mano a mano with each other, no intermediaries, no consultants.

by Anonymousreply 5112/05/2012

R12, it wasn't suicide. He was pushed.

by Anonymousreply 5212/05/2012

by Anonymousreply 5312/05/2012

What a bunch of Marys! THe photographer and doctor both were just following instinct. It's what they do.

Last week the Post had a picture of Syrians dragging a headless body through the streets. I didn't hear anyone complaining about that.

by Anonymousreply 5412/05/2012

[quote] Do you think it's possible someone was mistaken and that this guy got on the tracks himself or that he was purposefully pushed onto the tracks in a scheme so his family could sue the subway authority and collect a financial settlement?

Turn off Diagnosis Murder, grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 5512/05/2012

A guy that was on the train took a picture of the victim right after and posted it on reddit. It is gruesome.

Reminds of one of the great episodes of television ever. Homicide's Subway episode which tells a similar story of a subway pushing. Vincent D'onofrio plays the victim.

by Anonymousreply 5612/05/2012

Thanks, R53. Will have to keep my eye on the Australian press. I don't think there will be much coverage here until some Vanity Fair writer does one of their usual extensive pieces about the Murdoch "empire" months from now.

by Anonymousreply 5712/05/2012

I never stand on the edge of the platform for precisely this reason. I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but back in the late 90s ('98, I think?) there was a young woman who was waiting for the uptown 6 @ 28th and a deranged man who had literally just minutes before been released from Bellevue pushed this woman on the tracks as a train was speeding into the station, killing her. It was a big story in the local NY media at the time, and I've never forgotten about that poor woman. After that story, I've never stood at the edge of the platform again, ever.

by Anonymousreply 5812/05/2012

Why would anyone stand anywhere near the platform in the first place?

Smalltown flyover here, but given how many times shit happens and how vulnerable you are, why risk it?

by Anonymousreply 5912/05/2012

143 people are hit by subways every year, 48 of them are fatal. So in NYC you have about one person a week getting killed by a subway. So surprisingly, it is not all that uncommon.

I saw a woman fall onto the tracks while having a seizure. It took four men to jump down and lift her up. I was scared and a train wasn't even coming.

Your last instinct is to rush and help someone if they fall on the tracks when a train is coming. In that instant it is survival of the fittest. I honestly think I would cover my face, turn in the other direction and walk out of the station.

That is why when someone does save someone who has fallen it is truly heroic.

by Anonymousreply 6012/05/2012

I never stand near the platform. It amazes me at how many people wait right next to the ledge...leaning over to look for the train. Dolts!

by Anonymousreply 6112/05/2012

People constantly move to the platform to see if the train's headlights are approaching the station. If it's a moderately busy time of the day, you'll see many people doing it out of impatience. There's the idea that it's safe if everybody does it. Really, when you think of it in terms of people serviced by the subway and miles traveled and fatalities due to people being pushed, this sort of this is extremely rare, so there's not much risk. Except in those infinitesimally low probability events.

by Anonymousreply 6212/05/2012

Apparently the pushed man was quite drunk and confronted the pusher on the platform. Big mistake...

by Anonymousreply 6312/05/2012

Not only do I not stand close to the platform, I always stand behind a column so that I can gab onto it if I sense someone is coming towards me. Subway columns have open corners. This is a really stupid picture, but it shows what one of the columns looks like.

by Anonymousreply 6412/05/2012

R60, it is uncommon when you consider millions ride it every day.

by Anonymousreply 6512/05/2012

R64 watches too many Brian De Palma movies.

by Anonymousreply 6612/05/2012

I'm just so grateful I saw the photograph on Huffington where it was gracious and classy instead of on the front page of that awful newspaper.

by Anonymousreply 6712/05/2012

Huffington, classy?

by Anonymousreply 6812/05/2012

I'm with R64, seems like the smart thing to do.

by Anonymousreply 6912/05/2012

I'll never forget when that crazy woman jumped onto the track at 68th St to retrieve her gym bag. My son went to jr high with a lot of the kids who were in the station waiting for the train when it happened. Those poor kids were traumatized. She was killed the same way, trying to get back on the platform and it was gruesome.

by Anonymousreply 7012/05/2012

I wonder why that woman in the linked photo is so in love with the subway column?

by Anonymousreply 7112/05/2012

Fresh paint.

by Anonymousreply 7212/05/2012

Oops, it was the 77th St station.

by Anonymousreply 7312/05/2012

I hardly ever use the subway, but when I do I stand by the platform wall.

The subway is one of the reasons I could never live in Brooklyn. I couldn't take spending hours in that shithole every day.

by Anonymousreply 7412/05/2012

R58, I thought the young woman lived, but lost her hands, which was a shame 'cause she was a professional violinist.

by Anonymousreply 7512/05/2012

No r75 she died. The train mangled her body. I remember the story vividly. You must be thinking of someone else.

by Anonymousreply 7612/05/2012

R30: I Fall to Pieces

The Trolley Song

Any song by the band Train

by Anonymousreply 7712/05/2012

R75 recalls another story -- I think the poor gal was a flautist.

by Anonymousreply 7812/05/2012

So she played the flute?

by Anonymousreply 7912/05/2012

She made flautas at a taco stand.

by Anonymousreply 8012/05/2012

There was a 17 year old girl pushed off a train platform in 1979 who played the flute and lost her hand. The surgeons at Bellevue reattached the hand. She later became an occupational therapist.

Then there was Brigitte Gerney whose legs were severed when a construction crane fell on her. They reattached her legs and she got $10M (it was the 80s. $10m wasn't bad). She later became engaged to one of her doctors, but he was shot and killed by a guy with a grudge against Workmen's Comp.

by Anonymousreply 8112/05/2012

[quote]I thought the young woman lived, but lost her hands, which was a shame 'cause she was a professional violinist.

You're thinking of Rachel Barton who was/is a violinist involved with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. She was leaving a Metra commuter train in a northern suburb when the train door closed automatically on the violin case she had slung over her shoulder. The grip was so tight she couldn't let go. The doors didn't have sensors and open automatically, so she was dragged god knows how long and was severely injured, losing a leg.

by Anonymousreply 8212/05/2012

Several years ago I saw a horrifying interview with a New York EMS worker. He said that when a person is hit while hanging on the edge of the platform, they are twisted and the spine severed. They can stay alive for up to 90 minutes as long as they are pinned between the platform and the car, but as soon as they back the train away, they die. They leave the victim in place and ask "who do you want to say goodbye to?", and call in family before they back the train off.

by Anonymousreply 8312/05/2012

Well, this recent guy and the woman who was killed in the 77th street station didn't live past their heads being crushed between the train and the platform. That is a fact.

by Anonymousreply 8412/05/2012

R58 is referring to Kendra Webdale. Her death prompted the creation of Kendra's Law.

by Anonymousreply 8512/05/2012

The picture should not have been taken. The photographer may not have been close enough to help, but anyone with any morals would not have snapped that picture.

Is the photographer going to keep the money he/she got from the paper? Or are they going to do the honorable thing and give it to the nearest relatives of the victim?

by Anonymousreply 8612/05/2012

I find the electric rail more frightening that the thought of being hit by the actual train.

by Anonymousreply 8712/05/2012

New York City is the embodiment of the soulless demon Moloch.

It requires a human sacrifice every now and then; once a week is the minimum.

by Anonymousreply 8812/05/2012

This is why I always stand way back from the tracks while waiting on the platform and not even dream of engaging strangers in any way in the subway. All I need is some psycho, angry, homeless nut who refuses to take his psychotropic medication to mistake me for the dreaded Lucifer and push me in front of an oncoming train just for yucks. No thanks. That's what I am sure all the other people who witnessed this tragedy were thinking.

by Anonymousreply 8912/05/2012

There was a Homicide with Vincent d'onofrio as a dying man caught between traIn and platform. Sad

by Anonymousreply 9012/05/2012

Already referenced earlier, r90.

There was a good PBS doc on the making of that episode.

I didn't think Braugher wasn't quite into that episode. IIRC, he thought the concept was over the top, i.e. melodramatic. I always felt Clark Johnson should've been given that lead, instead of being the comic relief. Under-rated actor and brilliant director.

by Anonymousreply 9112/05/2012

post pic of body after impact

by Anonymousreply 9212/05/2012

Renee Katz was the music student mentioned by R81. It happened at the 47-49th Street Rock Center station.

by Anonymousreply 9312/05/2012

That H:LoTS episode stuck with me for a long time, r90. The PBS doc that r91 mentions was really good, too.

by Anonymousreply 9412/05/2012

Homocide was so good, the show, the actors, everything.

by Anonymousreply 9512/05/2012

... and ME!!!

by Anonymousreply 9612/05/2012

I saw that episode on TV, r83.

by Anonymousreply 9712/05/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!