Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Best bios of Hollywood starlets?

Okay, DL biography queens. I've become obsessed with old Hollywood. I've now finished Get Happy and a book on the history of the MGM backlot, and now I can't get enough.

I'm thinking either Greta Garbo or Joan Crawford is next, but am open to suggestions. I am NOT interested in Mommy Dearest; I would like something fairly accurate and well documented, but with an engaging narrative.

Yes, I know. Mary! I'm looking for caftans as we speak...

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 4706/20/2014

Brand new book to try: Margaret Talbot's book on her father Lyle, an unsung player whose face you'd probably recognize. Read an excellent excerpt in the New Yorker and am looking forward to reading the whole thing.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 112/04/2012

Jean Seberg bio: "Breathless" by Garry McGee

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 212/04/2012

Esther Williams' "Million Dollar Mermaid"

While not a starlet David Nivens' books are also very gossipy and informative about studio life and his co stars

also Judy Lewis' book "Uncommon Knowledge" about her mother Loretta Young and Clark Gable.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 312/04/2012

Ooohhh. Esther Williams. Good call, R3. That is right in line with my old school MGM obsession. The others sound good too, though.

Keep them coming!

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 412/04/2012

LULU IN HOLLYWOOD - by Louise Brooks

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 512/04/2012

And which is the best one on Greta Garbo?

I want to read one on Marilyn Monroe as well, but don't know where to begin! There are 7 billion biographies of her!

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 612/04/2012

For Marilyn try Anthony Summers' "Goddess."

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 712/04/2012

More suggestions, please!

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 812/04/2012

PLAYING THE FIELD by Mamie Van Doren is pretty funny.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 912/04/2012

The best Garbo book is by Barry Paris.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 1012/04/2012

How about Mark Vieira's A Cinematic Legacy, R10?

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 1112/04/2012

The Bette Davis bio 'Dark Victory' that came out a few years ago is quite good.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 1212/04/2012

Bette & Joan: The Divine Feud by Shaun Considine is scrumptious.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 1312/04/2012

Sal Mineo by Michael Michaud

Tab Hunter Confidential

Played Out: The Jean Seberg Story

Breathless Jean Seberg

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 1412/04/2012

"If this was Happiness" The biography of Rita Hayworth. Sad, sad life. Beautiful woman. Good Bio, I forget the author....

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 1512/05/2012

Hayworth author is Barbara Leaming.

I also recommend "Ava Gardner" by Lee Server. Ava was the baddest girl around and the most beautiful. She left everyone a wreck, but they did not seem to mind. She didn't give a fuck about much that was conventional and got away with it. It got worse, of course.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 1612/05/2012

Garbo wouldn't fall under the classification of a starlet. She was a full-fledged icon. Heard she was cheap as hell.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 1712/05/2012

The untalented wonderfulness of early 60s Joi Lansing.

Don't overlook the uncoordinated, unsynced, trio of girls in the pool, particularly the mentally retarded looking one. Can you pick her out?

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 1806/12/2014

There's a handful of those old 'Scopitones' from around '66 online. Joi made a few of them. One of 'em has her singing about "gowns, gowns, beautiful gowns........."

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 1906/12/2014

Eileen Heckart's son wrote a book about her. Really good.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 2006/12/2014

Also Dietrich by her daughter.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 2106/12/2014

Neither Betty Grable, Joan Crawford, nor Marilyn Monroe are starlets, unless you just want to read about their early careers before they hit it big. A starlet is a young, aspiring actress who has not yet achieved stardom. Someone like the aforementioned three, who had major success and even legendary status, does not qualify.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 2206/12/2014

That book on the MGM backlot is wonderful. Makes you wish it still existed and you could explore it. Damn you, Kirk K!

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 2306/12/2014

Bette & Joan: The Divine Feud by Shaun Considine is scrumptious.

MARY!

(but I still will go find it).

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 2406/12/2014

Janet Leigh's autobio is enjoyable. I think it's called THERE REALLY WAS A HOLLYWOOD. Roz Russell's LIFE IS A BANQUET is a fun read.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 2506/12/2014

Marvelous R18. I believe that is a young Judi Dench in that trio.

Thank you for schooling the OP R22. Crawford, Garbo, Monroe - starlets? Blasphemy!

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 2606/12/2014

It's been quite awhile, and I wouldn't call him a starlet, but I thought Patricia Bosworth's biography of Montgomery Clift was outstanding. Read the entire book in one sitting.

While the gossip is great (with some a bit subtle - after all Merv was still alive when it came out), it's a truly riveting portrait of a sadly tortured soul in pain.

"The Shocking Miss Pilgrim" by Frederica Sagor Maas. Check out the Wikipedia link to see if you think this portrait of early Hollywood is worthwhile. I think it definitely is - even if It's not trashy. Plus she wrote it when she was 99 - proving that living long enough to stick it to everyone you ever hated it the best revenge.

Although not biography, any books about Hollywood by Kevin Brownlow are also rewarding.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 2706/12/2014

This is a bit of a stretch, but Brooke Hayward was at one time considered to be an up and coming star because of her pedigree and beauty.

She was the oldest daughter of movie/stage star Margaret Sullavan and super agent Leland Hayward.

The book is "Haywire" and Brooke reveals all the family secrets (Mother and sister were suicides about 9 months apart.) and discusses her attempt at becoming an actress.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 2806/12/2014

THE STAR MACHINE by Jeanine Basinger is essential.

"Jeanine Basinger gives us an immensely entertaining look into the “star machine,” examining how, at the height of the studio system, from the 1930s to the 1950s, the studios worked to manufacture star actors and actresses. With revelatory insights and delightful asides, she shows us how the machine worked when it worked, how it failed when it didn’t, and how irrelevant it could sometimes be. She gives us the “human factor,” case studies focusing on big stars groomed into the system: the “awesomely beautiful” (and disillusioned) Tyrone Power; the seductive, disobedient Lana Turner; and a dazzling cast of others—Loretta Young, Errol Flynn, Irene Dunne, Deanna Durbin. She anatomizes their careers, showing how their fame happened, and what happened to them as a result. (Both Lana Turner and Errol Flynn, for instance, were involved in notorious court cases.) In her trenchantly observed conclusion, she explains what has become of the star machine and why the studios’ practice of “making” stars is no longer relevant. "

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 2906/12/2014

Not really what you requested but John Lithgow's bio was really interesting.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 3006/12/2014

r3, is this the book where Esther said Cary Grant was a cross-dresser?

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 3106/12/2014

R26, I blame the media. I see it all the time on entertainment news programs and gossip rags, referring to established stars like Jennifer Lawrence as starlets. I think they think it refers to any young actress regardless of their fame status. But think about it, in astronomy a starlet is a term for a small star. Someone like Lawrence who already has an Oscar, three nominations, and several hits under her belt is not a small star.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 3206/12/2014

Played Out: The Jean Seberg Story

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 3306/12/2014

In yesterday's Liz Smith column she was falling all over herself over Lee Grant's new autobiography "I Said Yes To Everything".

I have to admit it DOES sound like a good read.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 3406/12/2014

[R31} Esther claims in her book that '50s hunk Jeff Chandler (not Cary Grant) was a cross-dresser. She says she found him trying on her bra and panties.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 3506/12/2014

R29 I second the Star Machine. I intended to post that recommendation as well.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 3606/12/2014

The Barry Paris bio of Garbo is superb--you really feel as if you knew her by the time you've finished.

William Mann's Katharine Hepburn bio is good, too.

If you want a lot of divas in one volume, Ethan Mordden's Movie Star, The Women Who Made Hollywood is fun. It goes from Mary Pickford to Miss Piggy.

There's also that great book about Marilyn Monroe, written by the boy who was her assistant during the filming of The Prince and the Showgirl. The Michelle Williams film was based on it. I don't recall the title now, but if you search on Amazon under Books with Monroe's name it should come right up. Very enttaining.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 3706/12/2014

There aren't many good bios about "starlets," although there are quite a few about the "stars" of the golden age.

"Norma Shearer": Gavin Lambert gives the mostly forgotten superstar her due.

"Not the Girl Next Door": a sympathetic look at Joan Crawford by Charlotte Chandler

"Mother Goddam": Whitney Stine's straight-forward bio of Bette Davis, which includes hilarious commentary by Davis throughout.

"A Life of Barbara Stanwyck: Steel-True 1907-1940" Victoria Wilson's exhaustive look at the great star's life and career. Volume 2 is coming out soon.

"Elizabeth Taylor: The Last Star": Kitty Kelley's somewhat trashy book, but it has a lot of juicy gossip.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 3806/12/2014

R37, there were two -- THE PRINCE, THE SHOWGIRL, AND ME and MY WEEK WITH MARILYN. Both were fused together for the film MY WEEK WITH MARILYN.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 3906/12/2014

Not a biography, but City of Nets is a fantastic book about old Hollywood:

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 4006/12/2014

Norma Shearer by Gavin Lambert

Out of print, but an amazing story of a silent film actress who became one of the richest women in Hollywood, and was pre-Code sensation.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 4106/12/2014

I also loved the Marlene Dietrich book by her daughter, Maria Riva.

It has a little bit of the same feel as "Mommie Dearest" but it is a much fairer book (to Dietrich). Riva really seems to capture that her mother was a complex person.

Fascinating look at how things played out in early Hollywood, as well as Dietrich's life in the 60s and 70s.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 4206/12/2014

"Valley of the Dolls" is the best book ever written about Hollywood starlets.

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 4306/12/2014

Louise Brooks by Barry Paris

Garbo by Barry Paris

Norma Shearer by Gavin Lambert

Platinum Girl: the life and legends of Jean Harlow by Eve Golden

Played Out: The Jean Seberg Story by David Richards

Rainbow: the story life of Judy Garland by Christopher Finch

Marlene Dietrich by Maria Riva

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 4406/12/2014

By Myself: Lauren Bacall

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 4506/13/2014

Will There Really Be a Morning? (about Frances Farmer)

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 4606/13/2014

"Will There Really Be a Morning? (about Frances Farmer)"

Actually, that book was a creation by Jean Ratcliffe, a close friend of Farmer's in her later years. Farmer had some meetings with a journalist who was to have helped her write her autobiography. They did some interviews, but the journalist had other committments, and the project was abandoned. After France's death, Ratcliffe fashioned what little material there was into an "autobiography." The book is poorly written and features a lot of made-up, lurid scenes (there's a lesbian rape scene that will make you vomit) but somewhere in all of the grotesqueness the voice of Frances Farmer can occasionaly be heard. Ratcliffe passed the book off as the work of Frances, but she was the one who wrote almost all of it. And she dedicated the book to herself!

by Eucalyptus Moonflowreply 4706/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.