Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Corey Booker to begin living for a week on food stamps (SNAP)

"This morning, I will begin living on a food budget of $30 a week / $4.32 per day. This is the financial equivalent of the budget provided to people participating in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as food stamps, in the State of New Jersey.

I can't find one link to follow him daily. Anyone have a link for that?

(Yes, I did a search but search basically doesn't work.)

by Anonymousreply 5112/10/2012

Some sacrifice when he put half a million in the bank from Bain Capital. Fuck Corey Booker.

by Anonymousreply 112/04/2012

Well it isn't like he has a wife and children to support....

by Anonymousreply 212/04/2012

I'd suck his cock.

by Anonymousreply 312/04/2012

He is buying food based on the allocation for one person.

And, R1, you are SO politically radical and outspoken!

Let's get back to what it takes to feed one person per day.

by Anonymousreply 412/04/2012

I hope they stripped his cupboards before the week started. No fair if he is using spices and expensive oils/vinegars/condiments, unless he buys them with his allotment, or steals them from a fast food place.

by Anonymousreply 512/04/2012

Is he going to write a book, "My Year of Living on Food Stamps?" ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Anyway, it's simple. This whole day of healthy meals is only $4.22

Bfst: oats (15 cents), egg (17 cents), 1/2 banana (17 cents)

Lunch: WW pasta (43 cents), tom sauce (28 cents), salad (66 cents)

Dinner: chicken br (87 cents), br. rice ( 19 cents), broccoli (63 cents), sweet potato ( 37 cents)

Snack: popcorn (30 cents)

Beverage: tap water

by Anonymousreply 612/04/2012

He was getting fat, so this will work out well for him.

by Anonymousreply 712/04/2012

how much chicken breast do you get for .87?

by Anonymousreply 812/04/2012

oats (how many? 1/3 a cup?) 1 egg and 1/2a banana... thats a decent portion size for 10 year old

by Anonymousreply 912/04/2012

r4=control freak

by Anonymousreply 1012/04/2012

Oats are $3.60 per box before you remove that paltry portion. Eggs are about $2.00/dozen before you remove that one for your meal. Yes, you might be able to buy some of these at the beginning of the week/month but that is not realistic for most people on food stamps who don't even have access to grocery stores.

by Anonymousreply 1112/04/2012

Sorry, I forgot to provide the link where I got all the prices per serving size.

by Anonymousreply 1212/04/2012

[quote]that is not realistic for most people on food stamps who don't even have access to grocery stores.

That's a bit much. Yes, some people have trouble traveling to grocery stores. But people are on food stamps all over the place, not just in the poorest parts of town.

by Anonymousreply 1312/04/2012

No way you can get a chicken breast for 87 cents.

by Anonymousreply 1412/04/2012

half a banana? Have you ever left a half banana out for a day?

by Anonymousreply 1512/04/2012

That's a perfectly good breakfast for someone who isn't an obese glutton, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1612/04/2012

I eat half a banana all the time. I cover the rest with a small piece of foil and it's fine.

by Anonymousreply 1712/04/2012

Chicken breast on sale is $1.99/lb.

by Anonymousreply 1812/04/2012

R18 I haven't seen a price like that for chicken breasts in about 4 years.

by Anonymousreply 1912/04/2012

not where I'm from, it isn't

by Anonymousreply 2012/04/2012

It's not that hard to live on $30 per week if you are careful. In NYC you can go to Western Beef and get some inexpensive meat and use it all week.

by Anonymousreply 2112/04/2012

u should also throw in the cost of dish detergent cause hes gonna have to do his own dishes. Also toothpaste, soap, shampoo, deodorant, shaving cream and disposable razors.

by Anonymousreply 2212/04/2012

I bought boneless, skinless chicken breast recently on a buy 1 get 2 free sale, which they have often, but unpredictably. It cost $10.50 but included 3 packages of chicken breast. 3 large breasts per package X 3 packages

I wrapped them all individually and froze them. They ended up being $1.65 per pound.

by Anonymousreply 2312/04/2012

r22, I don't think that's part of the $30. I think the $30 is just the food allotment. There are other sources to pay for non-food items.

by Anonymousreply 2412/04/2012

There's no money on food stamps for soap or detergent, R22. It's for food only. If you do have some cash, they have to ring up the food as one purchase using the EBT card, then you have to pay using your own money for the non-food items. If you have a job you can do it. If you are disabled and have no income, you can't buy anything at all besides food. No shampoo, soap, pencils, paper, nothing.

I had to help support a relative who was on food stamps for a couple of years. I had to pay for toilet paper, toothbrushes, toothpaste, laundry soap, everything for her. You don't realize how many non-food items there are until there's no money to pay for them. No haircuts, socks, underwear. No garbage bags. No diapers if you need them. Some of this stuff you can get from church food pantries or charity, but basically everything you own wears out and you can't get any more. I couldn't really afford it and ended up in debt trying to support her. We lived on rice and beans mostly. You get hungry otherwise. We gained weight. If Corey Booker thinks he going to live healthy, he's going to starve to death. You might be able to do it for a few days but long term? No. He needs to do it for 90 days to get the full effect, a month at least.

I had access to Costco, most food stamp users don't. Costco doesn't take food stamps. I was able to supplement the food my sister could buy at a low price. I wish they could make Costco or Sam's Club take food stamps, the prices are much cheaper and it would really help people.

by Anonymousreply 2512/04/2012

Are they really telling us that a 1/4 lb of chicken breast is "one serving."

by Anonymousreply 2612/04/2012

I lived on food stamps for more than a year after loosing my job due to some health issues and being denied unemployment.

While I think it's laudable for politicians to try and get an idea what it's like for our poorest citizens, living on a food stamp budget for a week is no big deal. Until this is your reality, you really cannot fully understand what it's like to live like this.

It's totally doable. I shopped all the sales, I cooked in bulk based on sales and I started baking. Why pay $5 for a loaf of bread when you can buy enough flour and yeast to make dozens of loaves for that much money?

I did start with a full pantry with spices, dried herbs, canned goods etc. The longer I did it, the harder it got. I found myself stocking up on crap I'd normally never buy like cans of Beefaroni on sale.

I ate a lot of pasta, stews and soups. I bought meat only on sale or at the end of the day when it got marked down for quick sale.

I learned a lot about myself during this period.

by Anonymousreply 2712/04/2012

Substitute lentil or split pea soup or bean soup for the chicken breasts; hope you have a slow cooker. You really don't need to eat all that much protein anyway. Many of our ancestors lived on potatoes and whole-grain bread, and a few vegetables or pickles, except for special holidays. Even beans with chili peppers and corn tortillas 3 x a day is healthier than how most wealthy Americans eat.

A sister's anthropology class once conducted a study. Participants were required to mimic the basic Native American diet; corn, beans, hot peppers, water, etc. All got healthier. As much as I love to eat a variety of foods, marketing in America is in over-drive.

by Anonymousreply 2812/04/2012

[quote] Are they really telling us that a 1/4 lb of chicken breast is "one serving."

Yes, that would be 4 oz (1/4 pound) and 3-4 oz of meat IS an actual serving size.

by Anonymousreply 2912/04/2012

so is that an adequate serving for 5'2" 98 lb woman or a 6'3" 190 lb man?

by Anonymousreply 3012/04/2012

[quote]Costco doesn't take food stamps.

It does now. I think Mayor Bloomberg insisted, and then all locations followed suit.

by Anonymousreply 3112/04/2012

The whole thing is clearly a publicity stunt, but when you've got asshats like Paul Ryan (and by extension Mitt) and other repugs promoting the idea that poor people get "free stuff", it's good to take a closer look at what they are really getting, which is barely enough to subsist on. While I am sure there are ways to make ends meet, a lot of poor people aren't going to have access to a Costco or Sam's Club because they live in the inner cities & rural areas and often don't have cars or access to reliable transportation. Plus, everyone laughs at the gross (and fattening) food that Honey Boo Boo's family eats - well that's eating when you're poor!

I think it's good to bring attention to this stuff, but unfortunately I think most people are too ignorant and selfish to even care.

by Anonymousreply 3212/04/2012

Perhaps if we stopped sending money to every shithole outside of the US, we would have money to feed our poor. Why are we sending money to Egypt and the Palestinians while those at home are having problems?

by Anonymousreply 3312/04/2012

When you add up all the money in the many, many hunger programs in the United States and divide by the number of people getting food assistance on one type or another, it comes to $171.44 per day, per person. So, what's happening to all that food?

by Anonymousreply 3412/04/2012

r33 there are actually very self-protective and pragmatic reasons for making sure that other parts of the world do not descend into social/political chaos and disorder.

by Anonymousreply 3512/04/2012

This is a really, really stupid idea.

by Anonymousreply 3612/04/2012

There is no way anyone on SNAP can even imagine buying a slow cooker. Or buying rice or anything in bulk to get the cost down. It is a day-by-day struggle.

by Anonymousreply 3712/04/2012

We need to get the Galloping Gourmet to weigh in on this. Hopefully, bitch won't start griping about how the BF couldn't find cardamon on Martha's Vineyard over Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 3912/04/2012

R30? It's an adequate serving for a grown person, period. It's not as if a piece of meat is all that you will be having for a meal.

by Anonymousreply 4012/04/2012

r40 it is absolutely ridiculous to claim that the nutritional needs of all grown adults will be identical regardless of their physical size. Did you even graduate high school? Of course a smaller woman will require less food to fuel her body than a man who is a foot taller and 90 lbs heavier than she.

by Anonymousreply 4112/05/2012

Is this the pudgy football player on Glee that dated Rachel? I guess Hollywood actors will try any diet to drop weight. It will be good for him because food stamps doesn't let you buy beer and that's the Glee kid's reason for being a fat high school kid.

by Anonymousreply 4212/07/2012

I make just enough to live on. My standby has always been Poverty Stew: one can of Campbell's Chunky soup; one can of diced tomatoes; and I prepare rice in bulk to add to it.

That and a multivitamin will get you through the rough days.

by Anonymousreply 4312/09/2012

Can people buy soda, chips, and pretzels on SNAP?

by Anonymousreply 4412/09/2012

"Can people buy soda, chips, and pretzels on SNAP?"

Yes

by Anonymousreply 4512/09/2012

Yes, people can buy junk food on SNAP. What I don't understand is that WIC is restricted to healthy food and SNAP isn't.

by Anonymousreply 4612/09/2012

R38, it may be THEIR tax dollars as well. My son graduated from college and was only able to get a contract position initially. He paid taxes but was able to get food stamps because he made less the 1,004 a month.

by Anonymousreply 4712/09/2012

r46, the junk food lobby is powerful. The association that represents soda companies in New York ran TV ads against an extra sales tax on their products with no nutritional value. The politicians caved.

by Anonymousreply 4812/09/2012

While I agree with R27 in principle, I still believe (as I have posted elsewhere at DL) that anything involving Cory Booker smacks of a publicity stunt, the purpose of which is to further his own career agenda. (This little game of his is playing may better in the media than it is in the city of Newark.)

BTW, what are the odds of getting Governor Fat One to try living only on SNAP dollars for food as well?

by Anonymousreply 4912/09/2012

Obviously "is playing may better" should read "is playing better" if I reread my stuff before posting.

by Anonymousreply 5012/09/2012

Here's what you can buy on SNAP. Vitamins are on the "not" list. Don't they want people to be healthy?

by Anonymousreply 5112/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.