Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why didn't Daniel Day-Lewis go to RADA?

Was he turned down?

by Anonymousreply 2312/05/2012

Didn't really need to, did he?

by Anonymousreply 112/04/2012

but he went to a different school instead...I was wondering if the big ones turned him down....

by Anonymousreply 212/04/2012

That's odd.

by Anonymousreply 312/04/2012

R2, Bristol Old Vic, where Day-Lewis trained, is no small potatoes. It's a very selective school, accepting only 12 applicants out of thousands each year, and it has produced some highly distinguished British actors of stage and screen.

by Anonymousreply 412/04/2012

I know r4...but I think RADA is still the first choice for most students....I just was wondering if he applied and how RADA let him slip by.

by Anonymousreply 512/04/2012

He's so fucking hammy

by Anonymousreply 612/04/2012

You either have it or you don't. The only things acting schools do are broaden your knowledge as an actor, give those who haven't previously worked professionally some experience, and, if you're lucky enough to go to Juilliard or the like, hook you up with great agencies out of school. Ultimately, school makes no difference to those who are truly talented actors. And the more trained actors usually sound the most phony with their voice/speech/diction nonsense seeping into every role whether playing a prince or pauper.

by Anonymousreply 712/04/2012

His Hamlet was a borderline disaster at the National. He couldn't project and mumbled. He reportedly had a nervous breakdown over it. He's a film actor, and a good one.

by Anonymousreply 812/04/2012

R5, in the scheme of UK drama schools, there is no first choice. There are a handful of drama schools - RADA is one of them, LAMDA and others - that have a good reputation but now that students have to actually pay their tuition fees, a lot of people are wondering if drama school is worth the investment. But still, getting into RADA is no guarantee of a career, just as there are more actors working who did not get into RADA than did. Drama school is a rite of passage, all that matters is your graduate show and getting an agent and then it's out into the real world.

by Anonymousreply 912/04/2012

R9---I just know RADA says they are the first choice and brag about their offers never being turned down.....plus back in DAY-Lewis'years I think it was THE place to go. It just seems to me he'd have had his choice because of who is father was.

[quote]but now that students have to actually pay their tuition fees, a lot of people are wondering if drama school is worth the investment.

when did that start? did it used to be free?

by Anonymousreply 1012/04/2012

Among the great actors who didn't bother with RADA, both the Redgrave sisters,Vanessa and Lynn, went to Central School of Speech and Drama.

by Anonymousreply 1112/04/2012

I think their father went to Central.

by Anonymousreply 1212/04/2012

Again R10, I don't think people set their sights on one drama school and one drama school only. Nor do they feel that their career is made if they get into RADA.

by Anonymousreply 1312/04/2012

oh yes they do r13....people were crazed to get into RADA and thought they were superstars just by being there (we weren't! and aren't)

by Anonymousreply 1412/04/2012

I guess, R14. And then it all goes a bit Black Swan...

I'm an American actor. I work in London. Most of the British actors I work with loathed drama school, thought it pretty much a complete waste of time. A lot of successful actors don't even go to drama school anymore, if they're already getting job offers.

People were crazed and thought they were superstars because they were young. They didn't know any better. I'm sure life after graduation levelled them out plenty.

by Anonymousreply 1512/04/2012

What is RADA?

by Anonymousreply 1612/04/2012

For some, University with a great drama tradition is the way. McKellen, Jacobi, Thompson, Fry and Laurie are all Cambridge alumni.

by Anonymousreply 1712/04/2012

It's possible that DDL didn't even apply to RADA and had no interest in going there. Perhaps he found the Bristol Old Vic's approach to training more appealing than RADA's.

by Anonymousreply 1812/04/2012

Which way is north? What day is it? When did I eat corn?????

by Anonymousreply 1912/04/2012

Why didn't I post myself as author in R19??????????

by Anonymousreply 2012/04/2012

Judi Dench also went to Central. She was classmates with Vanessa.

Maggie Smith went to Oxford.

by Anonymousreply 2112/04/2012

Do you really think you don't need any training at all. Maybe for TV and film but what about stage and Shakespeare. I think you need some classes on that...maybe not a whole degree but at least some help with it.

by Anonymousreply 2212/05/2012

r10, universities in the UK (including drama schools offering degree courses) were free up until 1998, plus students got grants for living expenses.

by Anonymousreply 2312/05/2012
Need more help? Click Here.