Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How many of you are having your hours cut?

I've seen on different sites that many workers are getting cut to 3 days a week, and going from salary to hourly.

Is anyone else seeing this?

by Anonymousreply 9801/30/2013

I'm getting my bangs cut

by Anonymousreply 112/03/2012

What does it mean when you have no hours at all?

by Anonymousreply 212/03/2012

Oh, Romney would have been just as bad, if not worse. Look at "entry level jobs" in Massachusetts over the last 10 years.

by Anonymousreply 412/04/2012

It's the greedy employers' way of avoiding having to pay for the required health insurance mandated by Obamacare. If your employees work less than a certain number of hours a week (I think it's 30), then the employer doesn't have to pony up for health insurance and instead that responsibility falls to the government to provide for its citizens.

by Anonymousreply 512/04/2012

I eat old people's excrement.

by Anonymousreply 712/04/2012

[quote] So could have you.

You should have taken a few English Lit classes.

by Anonymousreply 912/04/2012

I wonder what church R6/8 goes to? So many of the Jesus-lovin hypocrites I know are the people crying out against the poor, vilifying them, and idolizing the ultra-rich who have pillaged the economy. But sure, r8, continue to throw the blame of the ills of the economy and the nation on the poor. It's so easy.

by Anonymousreply 1012/04/2012

Cutting hours is the new laid off.

by Anonymousreply 1112/04/2012

[quote]Why should employers foot the bill? It just drives up prices.

you're a greedy cunty cunt

by Anonymousreply 1212/04/2012

[quote] If you were a valuable employee you're hours would not be cut.

by Anonymousreply 1312/04/2012

R6 is right in at least one thing. The burden of healthcare should not be on employers. We should have universal healthcare. We are the only progressive nation that doesn't have it and it's ridiculous.

Your employer doesn't educate your kids, build roads, provide security (police, military) or anything else necessary for the common good. So why healthcare? There is no reason except that it's a "habit" that started after WW2 when there was a shortage of skilled labor. At that time desperate companies needed an incentive to attract workers. Not so anymore, so why does this antiquated model still linger?

As healthcare costs rise, you can expect even more employers to utilize work arounds so they will not have to carry this staggering burden. Less and less people are getting employer paid benefits every year, or the benefits they receive are greatly reduced.

by Anonymousreply 1412/04/2012

R6, you're an asswipe. I did the same thing as you, but find that most employers can afford to pay for health insurance, especially when it is subsidized. The ones who haven't been too stupid to read have found out that it's going to work out fine and allow them to keep their valued staff. It's only the neanderthals mad that a black democrat won the election that are taking it out on employees because they can. They are pigs who deserve to go broke.

by Anonymousreply 1512/04/2012

R6 is actually advocating single payer health care and doesn't know it.

by Anonymousreply 1612/04/2012

It is much easier and cheaper to cut peoples hours until they quit, than it is to lay them off.

If your hours are being cut, you are being pushed out.

by Anonymousreply 1712/04/2012

So you'd rather insurance companies have that role, R18?

by Anonymousreply 1912/04/2012

Think about it, R18.

The *for-profit* company is playing that role right now.

by Anonymousreply 2012/04/2012

This has been going on for years.

Guess who invented it?

The federal government .

My sister worked for the IRS in the early 70s. She would be laid off at least once a year in order to be unqualified as a full time employee. I'd never heard of such a thing before, where pretty much the entire workforce except for management was part time. It was just the beginning. Now it's pretty much the business model for Walmart, Pottery Barn and everyone else. Instead of using yearly number of hours, they use weekly number of hours and they keep it just below 37.5.

by Anonymousreply 2212/04/2012

[quote]The *for-profit* company is playing that role right now.

And how are insurance company's making their profits -- obscene profits, in many cases? By taking in more money for premiums than they pay out in benefits. That means exploiting every loophole they possibly can to deny benefits to people who have faithfully paid their premiums for year after year.

"I'm sorry you have breast cancer, Mrs. Doe, and I appreciate that you've been a valued customer for 20 years. But when you joined us, you didn't list on your enrollment form the acne drug you took for three months when you were age 15 -- therefore, your policy is null and void. Good luck with your cancer ... and your finances."

If the government was in charge, we could at least vote people out if they were pulling crap like this.

by Anonymousreply 2312/04/2012

The USA ranks 37th in The World Health Organization's ranking of the world's health systems. Is this also the fault of Obama?

1 France 2 Italy 3 San Marino 4 Andorra 5 Malta 6 Singapore 7 Spain 8 Oman 9 Austria 10 Japan 11 Norway 12 Portugal 13 Monaco 14 Greece 15 Iceland 16 Luxembourg 17 Netherlands 18 United Kingdom 19 Ireland 20 Switzerland 21 Belgium 22 Colombia 23 Sweden 24 Cyprus 25 Germany 26 Saudi Arabia 27 United Arab Emirates 28 Israel 29 Morocco 30 Canada 31 Finland 32 Australia 33 Chile 34 Denmark 35 Dominica 36 Costa Rica 37 United States of America

by Anonymousreply 2512/04/2012

Corporations trying to hurt their workers...nothing new about that. That's why we need unions but since Americans decided they don't like unions...we are all fucked. Serves us right.

by Anonymousreply 2612/04/2012

If we had universal healthcare, we would be in good shape. Other countries who have it, say it saves them money and believe it or not...the people in those countries have NO COMPLAINTS. I'm not sure how Republicans have convinced Americans that we don't want healthcare. I sure want it.

by Anonymousreply 2712/04/2012

[quote]Less and less people are getting employer paid benefits

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 2812/04/2012

Who wanted the burden of health care on employers? Republians, that's who.

by Anonymousreply 2912/04/2012

Healthcare is a corporate driven-ponzi scheme.

by Anonymousreply 3012/04/2012

Yes, R22. The government came up with the idea. No corporate entity or for-profit business had ever thought of screwing over the little guy before. It was all an evil government idea. That's the ticket!

*eye roll*

by Anonymousreply 3112/04/2012

Medicine should be treated by our government as if it were drinking water, and distributed accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 3212/04/2012

The dearth of quality health care in America makes us a loser country--yeah, I said that. It is a public health issue (do you want someone with TB, the flu, or SARS handling your food?) and utterly retarded that at this point, in 2012, sick people go broke going to a hospital.

Ever deal with abject dummies in the stores, or numbnuts handling your food? It's because their pregnant mommies were to poor to go to a good doctor and then gave birth tolow-I.Q. children. Millions are too fucking stupid to eat right, exercise, and not shoot drugs because they slip under the radar without health care and no one gives a shit about them.

by Anonymousreply 3312/04/2012

R14, you meant FEWER and FEWER not 'less and less'. If you are going to attempt to communicate in English, make some minimal effort to actually learn the language.

by Anonymousreply 3412/04/2012

R6, it's "than" not "then" so obviously you weren't an English major. Not every worthy job is in the medical field. You'll never find a billionaire pharmacist. You'll never see a pharmacist as a mover and shaker, leading corporations. As a matter of fact, you'll never find a great pharmacist anywhere. The worst ones are those who work for gov't institutions like the Veterans Admin. They're odd little ducks who can't work with the public. Forget about opening their own pharmacies. The pharmie that works in a hospital setting is almost always suffering from some form of Aspergers. They're not REAL doctors even with advanced degrees but they like to dump on the rest of society because they didn't have what it takes to become a REAL doctor or, God forbid, surgeon. Sour grapes, pharmie. Your job is tedious, at best. The most excitement pharmacy offers is finally catching a doctor making a mistake on a script. Social outcasts looking for recognition by policing others. You know it!

by Anonymousreply 3512/04/2012

The gov't ones are always fat, too.

I've seen a few cute phrmacists that work in supermarkets, but most look like THEY need the meds.

by Anonymousreply 3612/04/2012

Oh, look at the teacher's pet at R34. Little Miss Prisspot gets a gold star.

by Anonymousreply 3712/04/2012

[quote]I've seen on different sites that many workers are getting cut

And yet you couldn't post a link to one of these sites. And faux noise doesn't count.

by Anonymousreply 3812/04/2012

Actually I was the poster at R31. Not R34.

I was going to let the less vs. fewer mistake slide.

I don't always sign my name or pick on grammar...

by Anonymousreply 3912/04/2012

R37 = functionally illiterate

by Anonymousreply 4012/04/2012

R40 uploaded this pic of himself on that thread about severe body odor. Did you ever get that under control, hon?

by Anonymousreply 4212/04/2012

They keep us under 30 hours where we work, so as not to pay us benefits. NO benefits, no overtime, no raises, $9/hour.

But I work for the government!

I thought they were throwing away all this money, but no one I work with has seen any.

Any Freeps care to explain how I'm getting a majickal deal no other Americans get?

by Anonymousreply 4312/05/2012

This thread made me laugh more than the LiLo threads.

1- there is no such thing as free, except with our own bodies. For health care to be "free" the Dr has to be a slave, or the person who pays has to be a slave. De facto, if I am forced to pay for something I am not free.

2- all companies that do service related business- restaurants, retail, admin- will cut hours for their employees to keep out of the ACA. The ones that don't will go bankrupt.

3- the new "normal" will be 2 jobs, each at less than 28 hours, for anyone not working for a small company.

4- the quality of health care will drop, fast. Don't get sick. Ask people in Canada, or the UK, or France about their knee surgery, or the hoops they jumped through to get treatment. 90% of the people love it...until they lose a loved one because their cancer screen took 7 months.

The people who don't understand this make me laugh- not out of delight, but out of pity.

by Anonymousreply 4412/06/2012

[quote]The ones that don't will go bankrupt.

you're really stupid, you know that?

by Anonymousreply 4512/06/2012

r44 - very dour

some companies will get away with it and it will be hard for those affected.

however the impact of the companies avoiding their responsibilities by the system will only increase outrage and backlash upon them.

systems elsewhere are imperfect but at least the people there are not prisoners to insurance companies holding them prisoner for profit. healthcare costs but is a basic human right. its about time we in the US got with the program and not buy into a Republican dreamed pass the buck scenario

by Anonymousreply 4612/06/2012

Life is imperfect.

Creating a "one size MUST fit all" health care system will not help things.

My Dr has to employ 2 nurses- 1 that ONLY does paperwork, and another who spends 1/2 her day on paperwork. All of our medicine is mandated by the government. The patent laws that give the big pharmaceutical companies power drives up prices, not to mention the useless (and often rigged) hoops they jump through just to get a new drug.

Why do you think people are flying to Costa Rica, or Columbia, or even India to have operations? Because those countries have FREEDOM from regulation on most of their health care.

Abolish the FDA, AMA, and DEA and health care would become more affordable, more advanced, and more innovative. These regulatory bodies don't help anyone, they just limit competition.

by Anonymousreply 4712/06/2012

[quote]Why do you think people are flying to Costa Rica, or Columbia

honey, flying to Columbia isn't necessary, just fly to General, it's MUCH closer, you cheap fuck.

by Anonymousreply 4812/06/2012

people in europe go to different countries too. but only the ones who have the money not to work within the system.

abolish the fda and ama - lmfao. yeah right. no balances and checks and we'll all take whatever is offered and untested........ unreal. with all due respect you are in cuckoo land.

and as for hour cutting - see the link below. looks like its working REAL well. Go consumers!

by Anonymousreply 4912/06/2012

[quote]Why do you think people are flying

uh, rich people are flying, no one *I* know is flying anywhere for medical care.

by Anonymousreply 5012/06/2012

oh and the paperwork is driven by the insurers and medicaid. no system is paperwork less. it doesn't work that way. doctors need help in every country for that. not just here.

by Anonymousreply 5112/06/2012

Poor R18 couldn't afford treatment for his cognitive impairment.

by Anonymousreply 5312/06/2012

[quote]Medicaid is a government program, and requires massive paperwork.

Insurance companies not only require just as much paperwork, they also need to make a profit, so their overall costs are considerably higher.

[quote]Why can't you see that all these things end up costing more, at a poorer quality, and with more hassle when "The Government" is in control?

Mostly because that statement is completely false out here in the real world. The three best health programs in the U.S. today are Medicaid, Medicare, and the VA Hospital system. All three are cheaper than the private alternatives, control costs better than the private alternatives, and are more popular than the private alternatives.

And that's not even counting the example of all of the major industrialized nations, all of which spend as little as half of what we do, cover more people than we do, and have outcomes at least as good as ours.

Face it: every single assertion of yours in this thread is not only false, it's laughably and stupidly false. You're regurgitating shit you picked up somewhere without even understanding a word of what you're saying.

by Anonymousreply 5412/06/2012

I work for one of the bad ass inusrance companies and it is just as bad for our employees. I have taken a $20,000 reduction in pay over the past 2 years and we have been told there will be no raises in 2013. And oh yes, by the way......."we are raising your insurance premiums by double in 2013".

by Anonymousreply 5512/06/2012

I don't know who the ignorant jerk is but the FACT is, every country that has universal healthcare, says THEY SAVE MONEY. Lying Republicans should shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 5612/06/2012

They layed off a superfluous yenta who did nothing for 8 years. Bye Bye crazy lady!!!

by Anonymousreply 5712/06/2012

[quote]Lying Republicans should shut the fuck up.

In this case, it's not a lying Republican; it's a delusional Ron Paul libertarian advocate who has trouble telling fantasy from reality.

by Anonymousreply 5812/07/2012

WebMD is going to be firing a lot of people next week. Hearing their NY office is going to take a big hit. Huge.

by Anonymousreply 5912/07/2012

Took a consultant to dinner tonight. He does tax strategy work. He told me that he was shocked, and concerned, at the number of small biz guys that were either shutting down or downsizing radically on 1/1/13. He said none of them want to do anything before the holidays, and most are trying to work out good exit benefits for the long term employees but that they were just done with the paperwork and regulations. A lot of them are medical and med supply.

I laughed when I saw the NFP U3 numbers today- the labor force participation rate is below 1999, and the number of part time jobs is at an all time high. The media just looks at the headlines, trying to make people think we aren't in a Greater Depression. Real unemployment/underemployment is over 20%.

by Anonymousreply 6012/08/2012

I worked in a library for several years and had my hours cut during a year in which they were being deprived of government funds. They cut me by 3 hours a week, but when you do the math it was about $100/mo. after taxes- on a salary I'd already been living on check-to-check.

I left during the year they were trying to get a levy approved (it passed, or else layoffs were going to happen) and never looked back. I liked working with books but I'll never work for a non-profit again.

by Anonymousreply 6112/09/2012

Cut hours and avoid having to pay any benefits.

Cut hours and employees start leaving ,so you avoid expensive layoffs.

Cut hours and every get nervous about their jobs and works harder.

Cut hours and then offer people less money for guaranteed full time.

They are all pre-planned Corporate Strategies for greater control. Thankfully a couple of fast food workers are fighting back now.

by Anonymousreply 6212/11/2012

[quote]Thankfully a couple of fast food workers are fighting back now.

Get ready to pay $20 for your big mac if they are successful R62. Can't have it both ways.

by Anonymousreply 6312/11/2012

If these people understood economics we wouldn't be having this thread.

Look at how dead Detroit is. After the Japanese and Koreans started, they couldn't compete. If it weren't for the (tens of)thousands of dollars in import taxes on each Honda or Toyota (passed by congress to "save" the automakers, and screw the little guys who didn't give them campaign contributions) then Lexus would be cheaper than a Caddy.

Without "import duties" all cars would be far cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 6412/11/2012

Bic Macs won't cost $20, labor is only 10% of the current product cost.

Big Macs SHOULD be $20 because of their force in the world Obesity Epidemic.

by Anonymousreply 6512/12/2012

"I've seen on different sites..." You really mean "nowhere," don't you?

by Anonymousreply 6612/12/2012

R63 you are clearly an idiot. The CEO is what costs the companies money, not the piddling workers. When we start cutting top pay it will all even out.

by Anonymousreply 6712/12/2012

R67, with no CEO, there is no company, therefore no Big Mac, therefore no jobs, therefore no McDs...some people are just too stupid to know how stupid they are.

by Anonymousreply 6812/13/2012

[quote]some people are just too stupid to know how stupid they are.

Takes one to know one, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 6912/13/2012

Yes, R69. Since you agree with people who think that CEOs can just be "disintermediated" and all will be well, you are too stupid to know how stupid you are.

by Anonymousreply 7012/14/2012

I had all of my hemlines cut - about 3 inches shorter. It's the new look.

by Anonymousreply 7112/14/2012

[quote]Cut hours and every get nervous about their jobs and works harder.

oh, dear

by Anonymousreply 7212/14/2012

Anyone else seen a cut in hours?

Care to compare your December paycheck to your newest checks?

by Anonymousreply 7301/29/2013

What is your point r73?

The restoration of the payroll tax is the reason for the difference, but I think you knew that already.

by Anonymousreply 7401/29/2013

Yes, R74, and the poorest people are paying more taxes as a result.

by Anonymousreply 7501/29/2013

They cut me out of the entire movie!!!

by Anonymousreply 7601/29/2013

Do you like families...

Don't you just love a baby, a baby

How about daddy, daddy

A BABY, BABY, BABY...Let me go

by Anonymousreply 7701/29/2013

[quote]and the poorest people are paying more taxes as a result

And your point is? That tax cut was always going to be temporary, as you well know, and the tax is needed to fund Social Security, as you also know.

Meanwhile, the wealthiest 1% saw their taxes increase by 6% and the wealthiest .1% saw their taxes increase by 9%. I can live with that.

by Anonymousreply 7901/29/2013

My hours have been cut and I'm self employed.

by Anonymousreply 8001/29/2013

[quote]The CEO is what costs the companies money, not the piddling workers.

Bullshit. There's a reason you're unemployed: you're stupid.

by Anonymousreply 8101/29/2013

Not me.

by Anonymousreply 8301/29/2013

Target pulls this shit with their team members every January,forcing people who have devotd years of service to file for partial unemployment. It's a disgrace, especially when they call themselves "the best company ever".

by Anonymousreply 8401/29/2013

Taylor Swift said she would only continue to date me if I got my hours cut.

by Anonymousreply 8701/29/2013

No OP. Just you and your FReeper friends.

by Anonymousreply 8801/29/2013

Why yes, such a shame that we don't live in a Libertarian paradise where the Invisible Hand of the Market(TM) would keep everybody healthy & insured.

(rolls eyes)

by Anonymousreply 8901/29/2013

I've got more hours!

by Anonymousreply 9001/29/2013

Several of my friends have their hours cut or the companies moved out of state

by Anonymousreply 9101/29/2013

I toured Sweden, Denmark and Norway in 2009 and was amazed by the prices. Beautiful countries but expensive as hell.

For some reason all I can remember are the food prices. (Cue the fatty jokes!) A Big Mac was the equivalent of $8 just by itself. A Big Mac meal was $15. A can of Coca Cola was $5. A dinner served on a paper plate of fish and potatoes and a beer at an outdoor fish shack on the harbor in Norway was $30.

We asked our Swedish guide how middle income people could afford those kinds of prices and she said the high prices subsidize all of the govt provided services. It's a 'pay as you go through your life' kind of system. Instead of the American way where the prices are cheaper (a $3 Big Mac) but the burden is on the individual to save up for what they need so they can personally pay for their childcare, healthcare, etc.

If I understood her correctly, she said that citizens got healthcare, daycare, elder care, state school/university provided to them from 'cradle to grave'. So they don't need to save up for those things.

So the Norwegian pays $15 for the Big Mac meal but gets free healthcare, state university, for life. The American pays $6 for the Big Mac meal and is expected to put money away so that they can pay for their own healthcare, school, retirement care, etc. later.

She said most people didn't have massive savings because they didn't need to provide for retirement the same way that Americans needed to. That said, the cost of living was so high in those Scandinavian countries most people couldn't put away much savings. She also said that it was somewhat of a luxury for people to live alone as the cost of living was so high.

She said their healthcare system was decent. Not fantastic but certainly not awful. Her daughter needed some dental work done and had to wait 6 months to get it done. But if it's urgent surgery where you can't wait she said it would likely get taken care of.

And, oh yea, the average citizen of those countries get 5-6 weeks vacation a year . She said a new employee would start out with an average of 5 wks vacation. New parents often take 6 month maternity leave, both parents. Anyone know if that's still the case?

I wish someone would post on this thread from a Scandinavian country and let me know if I have totally bungled my interpretation of the Scandinavian countries' benefits system. My apologies if I have. I just never forgot how pricey it was but I also thought it made sense to 'pay as you go' to subsidize services we all need.

by Anonymousreply 9201/29/2013

The shitstained freepers who claim that the healthcare in civilized countries is some kind of death trap, sending citizens running to other countries for healthcare are big fat liars. They have never lived in any of these countries and don't know anyone in these countries. They just keep yapping like hysterical goddamned lapdogs whenever Big Pharma and Big Insurance yanks on their leashes. (Apologies to cute and happy canine lapdogs everywhere.)

I can't wait until five years after Obamacare is implemented and then improved/expanded. Everyone who knows these ignorant fools will tell them to shut the fuck up. The fuckwitted tea baggers and libertarian idiots will probably just keep on whining and pretending to be victims. I look forward to their mass emigration to the kind of banana republics they actually believe in.

Bon voyage, you dumb motherfuckers.

by Anonymousreply 9401/29/2013

I'm having my pubes cut

by Anonymousreply 9501/29/2013

Yeah OP and thanks to all you idiots that voted for this shit.

by Anonymousreply 9701/30/2013

This thread is giving the professional victims of DL, shower-nozzle masturbation material for weeks!

by Anonymousreply 9801/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!