Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rob Ford Gets Stay On Ouster Until Appeal Settled

TORONTO - The mayor of the country's largest city will not have to fight to stay in office while he appeals his ouster for violating conflict of interest laws.

Toronto businessman Paul Magder, who persuaded a judge to order Mayor Rob Ford punted from office, agreed Monday to a stay of the decision pending the appeal.

Magder's lawyer, Clayton Ruby, said they would nevertheless continue the fight to have Ford thrown out of office.

"By breaking the law in such a flagrant manner, Rob Ford has put this city into unnecessary turmoil," Ruby said in a statement.

"We are agreeing to this stay to give the city of Toronto a measure of stability, something that has been wholly absent during Mr. Ford's term in office."

The Divisional Court, which is expected to hear Ford's appeal early next month, was slated to hear a stay of the judge's order on Wednesday.

Even though there will be no opposition, Ford's spokesman, George Christopoulos, said the mayor's lawyer would nevertheless have to be in court to formally request the stay.

"We hope the stay is granted," said Christopoulos, who had no further comment because the matter is before the courts.

Last week, Ontario Superior Court Justice Charles Hackland ordered Ford out after finding the mayor violated conflict laws by voting at council on a matter in which he had a financial interest.

"It is difficult to accept an error in judgment defence based essentially on a stubborn sense of entitlement (concerning his football foundation) and a dismissive and confrontational attitude to the integrity commissioner and the code of conduct," Hackland said in his ruling.

Hackland did put his decision on hold for 14 days to allow the city to make arrangements to deal with the situation.

The ruling stunned city hall and outraged Ford, who blamed a left-wing conspiracy for his ouster. The mayor immediately said he would run in any byelection if his appeal fails.

Magder said the way Ford and his "proxies" impugned the reputation of the legal system was outrageous.

"One of Ontario's most respected judges considered in great detail the arguments made on my behalf and that of Mr. Ford before issuing his thoroughly reasoned decision," Magder said in a statement Monday.

"For Mr. Ford to pretend he is the victim of a 'left-wing' political attack is to insult the justice system that is a cornerstone of Canada's strong and enduring democracy."

Magder also said he brought the application to protect the city's municipal government from politicians putting their own interests ahead of the citizens they were elected to serve.

Hackland's decision also sparked debate about whether Ford could run in a byelection if council — which would have the option of simply appointing an interim mayor — called one should the ouster stand.

On Friday, Hackland issued a clarification to make it clear the mayor could run in a byelection.

by Anonymousreply 1501/08/2013

The Globe and Mail is sitting on a story about Ford's increasingly public cocaine use. Eye-witnesses saw him on St. Patrick's Day using at the Beer Market.

Who will be brave enough to break the story first?

by Anonymousreply 112/09/2012

R1--yikes! The Ford stuff just keeps getting more bizarre by the hour. The bio pic of his life should be awesome. Who will play him?

by Anonymousreply 212/09/2012

Holy Shit, R1! I'm surprised he's still alive. With the weight & the drinking & the rage, but cocaine on top of that? Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 312/09/2012

Duh. Obviously a judge doesn't have the power to get rid of an elected mayor.

by Anonymousreply 412/09/2012

I can also further reveal that the Toronto Star sourced the story and were ready to go public describing it "unidentified white substance" but got scared at the 11th hour. The Globe then picked up the scent of the story, sourced it and verified it, but the editorial board fears retribution. Not from City Hall, but the Fords themselves.

It's also an open secret at City Hall, everyone from Councillors to city hall staff are aware of the problem, but no-one will speak about it publicly until toronto media pulls the trigger....and Toronto media won't run a story unless a councillor or exec comittee member gives them a quote.

by Anonymousreply 512/09/2012

Wow, who knew that Toronto was such a shitfest?

by Anonymousreply 612/09/2012

Thanks for the dish, R5. If they have reliable witnesses, I'm surprised neither paper has run with the story. Maybe waiting for a second incident?

by Anonymousreply 712/09/2012

[quote]The bio pic of his life should be awesome. Who will play him?

Chris Farley would have been perfect.

by Anonymousreply 812/09/2012

Word on the street is he's now on a "secret vacation."

Rehab?

The media's probably afraid of lawsuits if the spill the coke story without backup.

by Anonymousreply 912/11/2012

Holy shit, r1.

r5, are they afraid of libel chill, or do you mean a personal troll attack by the family?

In fairness to Ford, on principle not on his vile character, the Canadian media knows all kinds of things like this about politicians and prominent citizens they don't report.

I think that's the real reason why they are not reporting it. You know that the Fords are going to claim it's an elitist attack on a populist, regular guy.

If they play dirty, they could also out other people who are using "Hey you guys didn't to a story on Liberal/NDP MP X-why not?

This is especially true if the Globe published. The Star might get away with it.

If they can link it to any obvious effect on his job duties, they should publish.

by Anonymousreply 1001/07/2013

Remember when he called 911 on actress Mary Walsh?

by Anonymousreply 1101/08/2013

That fucking character is obnoxious, r11.

Not that I'd have 911 on speed dial if someone annoyed me, but I hate the kind ambush comedy.

by Anonymousreply 1201/08/2013

R12, it's a tradition in Canadian politics that This Hour Has 22 Minutes makes fun of all the Canadian politicians - Ford is the only one who has ever called the police.

by Anonymousreply 1301/08/2013

I know, r13. SW Ontarian here. Like I said, he was an asshole for calling, but I bet a lot of subjects hate that juvenile shit.

[quote]It's also an open secret at City Hall, everyone from Councillors to city hall staff are aware of the problem...

Do you mean aware of the problem as in it affects his duties/interactions with city hall staff, or everyone just knows he's on coke?

If r1 is correct, and s/he sounds credible, the specific evidence of his using comes from an eyewitness in a Beer garden on St Pat's.

Unless the G&M or the Star have evidence of it in the workplace, or affecting his job, it will only backfire on them if they publish.

I've read a lot of stories over his tenure about what an abrasive, loud asshole he is in council. While true, so was Mel Lastman and no one ever went after him like they do Ford.

That petty politicking is biting the Globe in the ass now, since it would look like they are trying to finish him off.

by Anonymousreply 1401/08/2013

Rob Ford is like Canada's Rush Limbaugh.

Needless to say what is happening to the city of Toronto these days.

by Anonymousreply 1501/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.