Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Simon Halls Speaks

He looks and sounds exactly like Beekman Boy Brent (give or take a foot in height).

by Anonymousreply 9501/27/2013

To my ears he sounds nothing like Brent. But what good speeches by Matt and Simon, especially by Matt.

by Anonymousreply 112/03/2012

It's great that we finally hear Simon speak, and I love both of their speeches. Simon more businesslike, Matt more personal, a good choice.

by Anonymousreply 212/04/2012

Great speeches!

by Anonymousreply 312/04/2012

i like simon when he started clapping right into the mic.

by Anonymousreply 412/04/2012

by Anonymousreply 512/04/2012

by Anonymousreply 612/04/2012

by Anonymousreply 712/04/2012

by Anonymousreply 812/04/2012

Joe Manganiello: [...] an example to everyone in putting their passion and energy behind family, education, and equality, they're an inspiration to all of us. So please, help me welcome my two friends, the 2012 GLSEN Respect Awards Los Angeles Inspiration Honorees, Simon Halls and Matt Bomer.

Simon Halls: Wow. This makes me think-- I don't know if any of you guys saw Matt do Glee. There was a scene-- he was just being ridiculous as his character, and then he went out and broke out into song with Darren Criss, and they were doing all this stuff, and at the end people started clapping, and he looked over to [Darren's] character and he said, "Standing O." [laughs] And I sorta feel the same way. Thank you so much. It's crazy to give us a standing ovation when there's so many inspirational people out here. Thank you Joe, for that great introduction, and thank you to GLSEN for this very kind award. Both Matt and I are deeply, deeply honored to be receiving it.

You know, there are a lot of great organizations out there who do a lot of fantastic stuff for people from all walks of life. But I think I speak for Matt and myself in saying that none of them impress them as much as GLSEN, which does amazing lifesaving work for kids across the country. As you've heard by now, GLSEN works in a grassroots manner to protect young vulnerable kids from harassment and bullying in schools and in their communities. For that they deserve all the accolades and all the support they're getting from all of you tonight. So, [applauds]

As parents, Matt and I have been blessed with three incredible, sometimes crazy, but incredible kids. Having kids really teaches you so many things, and one of the things we both learned in our parenting journey is how loving and accepting and open children's minds and hearts are from day one. We both believe that kids are a constant reminder that man is essentially kind and good and fair. Unfortunately in some parts of the country, some kids are taught at an early age that being different is somehow bad or wrong or worthy of ridicule. And that's where the seeds of bullying are sown. Kids aren't born to be bullies, they're taught to be bullies.

And I think that's why all of the amazing work that GLSEN does is so essential. Kids need to be given an environment where they feel safe and where they have hope for the future and they feel empowered to love whoever they want. So thank you to GLSEN, for all you do in creating a safe place for our nation's youth, and thank you, Joe, again. And now, over to my better half, Mr. Bomer.

Matt Bomer: Uh, note to self, never let your smarter half speak first. [laughs] I hope you guys don't mind I say a few words as well. We're both really honored to be receiving the Inspiration Award tonight from an organization that's been so inspirational to us for so long. I want to echo Simon in thanking Joe. Joe, to be honest with you, I thought the gay friendliest thing you ever did was dance with me in a thong inMagic Mike. But, I think you've actually outdone yourself tonight, so thank you. You are an amazing friend and an incredible artist and I'm lucky to know you, and you inspire me. And not just with your beard.

A lot of the people who inspire me are here tonight, really starting with this amazing young generation who are doing such impactful, grassroots work. You guys have to give yourselves a hand, you're doing the real work, frankly. And also established artists like Jeffrey, and Ryan Murphy, Harvey, Mike Lombardo, amongst many, many others who are here tonight. You tell stories that start a conversation, and oftentimes that's the first step in dissolving ignorance, so thank you.

This organization has always been special to me because I grew up in suburban Texas, not far from Katy, Texas that we heard about earlier tonight. And there was no GLSEN when I was in high school, there was no safe haven, there was no outlet for you to speak your mind. So I did what any self-preserving 14-year-old would do: I signed up for the school play. And also the football team to cover

by Anonymousreply 912/04/2012

And also the football team to cover my tracks. [laughs] I'm sure there are many of you out there tonight who probably did something very similar. But you know, when that happens, when you aren't allowed to speak about who you are, one of the most authentic parts of who you are -- which is who you love, or who you're attracted to -- feels invisible. And GLSEN gives visibility and authenticity to kids all across the country, and for that, we're very, very grateful.

So I want to thank everybody who's here tonight, who's started a chapter at your local school or had the courage to go to a meeting. To all those here who donated of their time and their money, you're the ones doing the real work and we share this award with all of you. I also especially want to share it with the kids who don't have an outreach program and who suffer in silence. Help is on the way.

I went back to my high school alma mater website this week, just to see what the developments were. And front and center on the homepage -- this is near Katy, Texas -- was an organization called "Bearcats Against Hate." Bearcats were our mascot, I don't know what that is, I still don't know what a Bearcat is. It made high school even more confusing. But I digress. [laughs] The important thing is that the work we're doing here tonight is changing the cultural landscape and making a lot of lives a lot better. So thank you.

Mostly I want to thank my amazing family, Simon and our three boys, who inspire me every day. And I want to thank everybody at the USA Network and Fox, many of whom are here tonight. [...] And I really want to thank my friends who came out to support, and especially my cast. You guys have been so incredibly supportive of me from day one. You're like the big Italian family I never had. You've stood by me, through the good and the bad, and always supported me, whether voiced or silently. And most importantly, you've only ever treated me as an equal artist who's there to help you tell a story. And that, in my opinion, is real progress. So thank you.

by Anonymousreply 1012/04/2012

Seems Halls is a bottom? Bomer has a manly voice.

Great speeches! Sweet couple!

The transcripts left out some names Bomer thanked.

by Anonymousreply 1112/04/2012

I thought he sounded like one of the Beekmans as well, though I hadn't settled on which one.

Nice speeches from both of them.

by Anonymousreply 1212/04/2012

R11 Thank you, Frau. We were waiting for you.

by Anonymousreply 1312/04/2012

I shall call him Mini-Me.

by Anonymousreply 1412/04/2012

I thought they were both professional speeches. Very good but contrived, especially as Matty has been playing football since he was a kid and his Dad was an ex draft football you didn't 'join' because you had to joined because you'd been playing your whole life. He also quit football at 14 to join the drama club. Plus he won like most popular guy at school...I also read somewhere that he was out and all the girls used to try and 'change' him...

Haha Matty, you're JUST like all those kids!

by Anonymousreply 1512/04/2012

R15 There were pictures that showed he did not quit football until he finished high school. He was 17 and still playing football. He did theatres till late night after school with Lee Pace. His photos from high school looked like he was a happy kid growing up. May be he knew how to fake happiness. Where did you read girls trying to change him? He likely came out in his senior year at HS, not before that.

by Anonymousreply 1612/04/2012

Stop with the stupid beekman shit. Matty voice may be lower but thw emo/fem mannerisms give away his bottom status everytime. Nothing about Simon says bottpm....he's the top...period

by Anonymousreply 1712/04/2012

R17 Matt is no way feminine. His ass might be prettier but I don't know what you see feminine in his mannerism. Simon looks confident but who said a confident man cannot be a bottom?

by Anonymousreply 1812/04/2012

STFU. You know NOTHING unless you have proof? Some of us with brains and no low self esteem laced with severe self/loathing towards gay men, take what the poster back in 97 said which was that Bomer was versatile. End of. Grow up.

I read that comment re girls when he came out. And I wasn't thinking he was 14 if he was out at HS but maybe like the senior year. It's irrelevant when he stopped playing football, my point was more about the fact that he never joined the football team because he HAD to hide. He has been playing sine he was a child.

We have seen photo's are a very cute smiley kid w red hair in his football kit...

Maybe he was faking being happy but I don't think so...though I do feel he prolly felt frustrated, like most of us who had to 'fit in' until we left and went to university where we could be our crazy creative selfs...something you can't do in small minded towns.

by Anonymousreply 1912/04/2012

Or, r19, maybe he liked football when he was little, but by the time he reached high school, he wanted to stop. And maybe felt he couldn't, because doing drama alone would tip people off. Maybe someone told him drama alone was "too gay."

I really don't understand your inability to accept what he said. There are a million explanations for it, and almost all of them make sense.

by Anonymousreply 2012/04/2012

Bomer may be versatile but Simon Halls is exclusively top.

by Anonymousreply 2112/04/2012

Why does Joe look like Tevye?

by Anonymousreply 2212/04/2012

It's chicks who are obsessed with this top/bottom thing, right?

by Anonymousreply 2312/04/2012

Isn't Halls a Brit? He seems to have an American accent.

by Anonymousreply 2412/04/2012

r23 who knows..? I think it's men tho..but I don't know..

by Anonymousreply 2512/04/2012

Did we ever decide if Pace got a piece of that?

by Anonymousreply 2612/04/2012

Halls is from LA, you probably got the Brit thing cause someone was pushing that he was the heir to the Halls mentholyptus fortune (he's not.)

by Anonymousreply 2712/04/2012

Thank you, r27 .

by Anonymousreply 2812/04/2012

'Halls' is a brit name!

The trolls here saying Simon is the bottom are deluded. Matt is versatile but a btm wth Simon - Simon is an exclusive TOP!

Bomer's mannerisms when he's around Simon says everything, and I don't think he cares that people assume/know he plays 2nd fiddle to Simon in the relationship (if you now what I mean).

by Anonymousreply 2912/04/2012

No I will not stfu bitch! I say what I want, believe what I want. Matt MIGHT be vers but Simon is the man in that household in EVERY WAY!!

by Anonymousreply 3012/04/2012

So I guess that confirms who the top is.

by Anonymousreply 3112/04/2012

Sometimes I really feel that Matt's fanfraus care more about his anus than his acting.

by Anonymousreply 3212/04/2012

R32 He's boring outside acting, so you can't blame the fraus for focusing on his other 'attributes' real/imagined.

by Anonymousreply 3312/04/2012

Did you notice Bomer doesn't make eye contact with Halls? Is he shy to do it?

by Anonymousreply 3412/04/2012

R32 They care more about their idealized and fetishized image of his life with Halls and the kids -- their "head canon". Some major league fag hags there.

by Anonymousreply 3512/04/2012

R32 R35 Agree. Sickly obsessed with Bomer's personal and sexual life that he wants to keep private. Same pull of fanfraus analyzes which one of twins is Bomer's, where they went for holidays, if they left children behind so the fucking can be easy, from where Bomer buys his condoms. I can go on. Here is how they imagine him.

by Anonymousreply 3612/04/2012

Just actually heard the transcript and although I think Matt was fibbing w the football thing...

It was actually really wonderful. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 3712/04/2012

So, yep..this was an amazing video and apologies. Really nice. :-)

by Anonymousreply 3812/04/2012

Damn you R22. Now I can't get "If I Were a Rich Man" out of my head.

by Anonymousreply 3912/04/2012

matt on the set of the new normal.

by Anonymousreply 4012/04/2012

IMO Matt was joking a little with the "joining football team to cover the tracks". He probably tried to lighten up the speech, so it would not be overwhelmingly serious.

He said in interview that he left football his senior year in HS, because it was too difficult to do both theatre and football and be professional at both. And he was more passionate about theatre anyway. Maybe he also came out the same year. Anyway it is actually possible that he was hiding at first when he started high school, but then he was out later, his senior year or sth.

by Anonymousreply 4112/04/2012

[quote]He looks and sounds exactly like Beekman Boy Brent (give or take a foot in height).

He sounds absolutely nothing like Brent. Let it go, hon. And what's with this obsession about defining either Simon or Matt as a "top" or "bottom"? I know from years on DL that this concept is difficult for many of you who've never had a long-term relationship, but in reality most men are sexually versatile (which isn't to say they don't like a particular position better, and some men don't have anal sex at all).

by Anonymousreply 4212/04/2012

Matt and Simon don't have sex at all. Matt just likes to lean against Simon and hold hands and cuddle together in bed while nibbling on fruit and cheese and frolic in the water while gloriously naked.

by Anonymousreply 4312/04/2012

that sounds good r43...except a don't like most cheeses.

by Anonymousreply 4412/04/2012

R44 Simon, the fanfraus would be only too happy to hear from you about your dietary concerns and accommodate you. Go to town!

by Anonymousreply 4512/04/2012

Simon Halls is not versatile. Exclusively top.

Look at the way he handed over the trophy to Bomer and look how Bomer handed it over before his speech. Any observant person will be able to tell who is the top.

Frankly, I think Bomer tries hard not to show his vulnerable side physically and stand their as manly way as possible. But, sometime when he is not paying attention, it does come out which is adorable. Halls look like he deeply adores Bomer. Hope Bomer can be more relaxed to express affection for Halls in future.

by Anonymousreply 4612/04/2012

Yes, R31. And it's R30, just so we all know.

by Anonymousreply 4712/04/2012

Exactly what R42 said.

by Anonymousreply 4812/04/2012

LMFAO!!! Comment of the day!!

by Anonymousreply 4912/05/2012

Any notice how ALL of Bomer's roles are directly related to Halls? The Winters Tale? Director is repped by Halls....New Normal & The Normal Heart? Murphy is repped by Halls...the spaceship movie? EVERY actor/actress in that movie is repped by Slate PR..

Whatever but people are seriously naive if they don't think that be being w Halls, Matt has had a much better career then he would have. The volume of work since they've been together to before is astonishing...esp as actors tend to want to act more when they are young and White Collar was the/is the least seen show he had/has ever done. It's cable.

On Traveler he was on ABC. Chuck was on NBC.

Not that I am complaining as this is great towards gay visibility.

by Anonymousreply 5012/05/2012

Thank you for that assessment, Captain Obvious.

by Anonymousreply 5112/05/2012

R46 Gotta go with R49 on this. This part especially made me spew my coffee.

[quote] and stand their as manly way as possible

by Anonymousreply 5212/05/2012

I haven't gone to utube yet - am I to understand that Simon speaks with gay voice?

by Anonymousreply 5312/05/2012

Here, r53. Not the most severe case of gay-voice I've ever heard, but it's there.

by Anonymousreply 5412/05/2012

Thanks for the link, r54, although I wouldn't call it gay voice, just a slightly nasal tenor voice.

by Anonymousreply 5512/06/2012

Simon Halls is incredibly lucky. Does he have both the dick of death and an awesome personality? Matt is quite the catch...

by Anonymousreply 5612/06/2012

[R50] I thought that the Space Station movie connection was Carnegie Mellon University, not Slate PR. Matt Bomer, Patrick Wilson and Jack Plotnick (the director) are all CMU graduates.

BTW not every actor from that movie is repped by Slate PR. Bomer is not. At least not officially. ;)

by Anonymousreply 5712/06/2012

Space Station 76 is a tiny little movie, and he's doing them a favor by appearing in it, not the other way around. Winters Tale, yes, the director is repped by Halls.

Halls is well-entrenched in Hollywood and Matt has benefitted for years and will benefit from his connections. There's nothing wrong with that, it is simply the way Hollywood works.

by Anonymousreply 5812/06/2012

Would love to see the two of them be affectionate with each other

by Anonymousreply 5912/06/2012

A movie about troubled relations aboard a space ship set in the 70s Buck Roger view of the future? The description of Space Station 76 reads like a cheesy film student project. Unlikely this movie will ever see the light of day.

by Anonymousreply 6012/06/2012

It's one of those films like "Psycho Beach Party" that will play at the Cinemark for two weeks and then repeat on Logo until the apocalypse. It sounds cute, I'm looking forward to it.

by Anonymousreply 6112/06/2012

[quote] He did theatres till late night after school with Lee Pace

Wouldn't you?

by Anonymousreply 6212/06/2012

I agree r55. Although the tone is one that I usually associate with gay voice, he doesn't have it. Not like Robert Conrad did.

by Anonymousreply 6312/07/2012

Oh, it's there. You can hear the slight, reedy vibrato that afflicts so many of us.

by Anonymousreply 6412/07/2012

by Anonymousreply 6512/13/2012

I think all of the kids are Simon's, biologically, but that is quite a comparison [R65]. I don't remember seeing either one before either.

by Anonymousreply 6612/13/2012

Still not biologically related, but both Matt and Walker are beautiful.

[R66] The right pic is new.

by Anonymousreply 6712/14/2012

Seriously, guys? Still?

He has Matt Bomer's eyes. Matt Bomer's famous, legendary eyes have been passed on to Simon's biological son?

This is not a difficult story to figure out.

WTF do I need to do, photoshop him in a fedora?

by Anonymousreply 6812/14/2012

How can one twin be Matt's and the other twin be Simon's?

by Anonymousreply 6912/14/2012

For that to happen they'd have to mix each sperm sample together and used the mixed sperm to inseminate the donor mother, and this in the USA is illegal.

by Anonymousreply 7012/14/2012

LOL That idiotic idea about Walker being Matt's biological son is still going on?

Anyway, Walker doean't have Matt's eyes. Just because both have blue eyes doean't mean that they look similar. Matt has very specific eyes, with very small pupils and big irises. That's why his eyes are so strikingly looking. Someone compared them to husky eyes. Walker doesn't have eyes like that at all. And he looks very much like Simon (all the kids look like him actually).

by Anonymousreply 7112/14/2012

Link is for R69

R70 = moron

R71 = braindead

It really boggles the mind how Matt's fans can spend all day looking at photos of him and still can't tell when a son looks like his father.

by Anonymousreply 7212/14/2012

It seems that WIMBST will be a troll and an idiot forever.

by Anonymousreply 7312/14/2012

MIxing sperm is not illegal; look at NPH and his twins.

by Anonymousreply 7412/14/2012

[R74] Exactly, NPH did the same, as well as many others. Doesn't change the face that I'm sure they are all Simon's.

by Anonymousreply 7512/14/2012

R73 Amen

by Anonymousreply 7612/14/2012

I think it's illegal in the US not in the UK though, Elton and David had their kid like that.

by Anonymousreply 7712/14/2012

Funny to find so many neo-lamarckians here. Why do you guys think Walker looks like Matt?

by Anonymousreply 7812/14/2012

Weird. I saw the photo and couldn't believe how much he looks like Simon! Especially when he opens up his face to yawn-man Simon randomly does that ALL the time, same shape of mouth.

If this weird troll that is obsessed with Walker being Matt's is not kept out, this thread will close like all the others...

by Anonymousreply 7912/14/2012

[quote]Why do you guys think Walker looks like Matt?

I have a curious affliction wherein the nerves from my eyeballs happen to reach my brain, and I can recognize when a little boy looks like his father.

by Anonymousreply 8012/14/2012

What kind of dog do they have?

by Anonymousreply 8112/14/2012

He beat Andrew Garfield.

by Anonymousreply 8212/28/2012

That is hilarious.

Matt did pretty well himself.

by Anonymousreply 8312/29/2012

How did they measure it? By number of searches on the site or sth like that?

by Anonymousreply 8412/29/2012

"These rankings are calculated by a number of factors, including pageviews/hits from readers, comments, and social media interaction."

by Anonymousreply 8512/30/2012

It's Simon's birthday today. He is 49.

Happy birthday, Simon :D

by Anonymousreply 8601/12/2013

Simon two days ago with Ang Lee.

by Anonymousreply 8701/12/2013

Another one, looking hot.

by Anonymousreply 8801/12/2013

He looks good.

by Anonymousreply 8901/12/2013

Matt & Simon at that creative coalition thing in Washington, dc 1

by Anonymousreply 9001/27/2013

Matt & Simon at that creative coalition thing in Washington, dc 2

by Anonymousreply 9101/27/2013

Matt & Simon at that creative coalition thing in Washington, dc 3

by Anonymousreply 9201/27/2013

Matt & Simon at that creative coalition thing in Washington, dc 4

by Anonymousreply 9301/27/2013

Matt & Simon at that creative coalition thing in Washington, dc 5

by Anonymousreply 9401/27/2013

That first picture is really nice, they both look handsome in it.

by Anonymousreply 9501/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!