Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Isn't it too late to get a flu shot?

I thought you were supposed to get them around Halloween, not in December.

by Anonymousreply 2612/05/2012

You can get them through May.

by Anonymousreply 112/03/2012

A friend of mine got a flue shot and then died.

by Anonymousreply 212/03/2012

I wait and get mine when RiteAid puts them on sale for $19.99.

by Anonymousreply 312/03/2012

I knew a girl who got a flu shot, but then she died.

by Anonymousreply 412/03/2012

I'm sorry, OP. But with all due respect I've got problems of my own.

by Anonymousreply 512/03/2012

by Anonymousreply 612/04/2012

I just got mine today, later than most years. It takes about 2 weeks for the effects of the vaccine to kick in. Usually the flu season peaks in March. The nurse told me that in the past, if you hadn't receive the vaccine by December, they would just tell you to go without.

by Anonymousreply 712/04/2012

Too late, OP. You gonna die.

by Anonymousreply 812/04/2012

Flu shots are dangerous, it's not worth the risk.

by Anonymousreply 912/04/2012

Kaiser Permanente in N. Calif. just put out a notice that it's not too late to get one at their facilities.

R9, you're misinformed. Unless you're running a fever, or are allergic to eggs, or have Guillain-Barré Syndrome, or are pregnant, there is no risk to receiving flu vaccine in the USA. Please talk to a doctor or nurse, or at least do some serious research. Influenza is dangerous & vaccines usually are effective in preventing it or reducing its effects.

by Anonymousreply 1112/04/2012

It WILL be too late when they run out of shots. They do not have an infinite supply.

by Anonymousreply 1212/05/2012

I missed mine this year and am debating whether or not to get one this week or just go without. I have a lot of big gatherings and traavel coming over the next 2-3 weeks so I may end up exposed to it anyway. CDC is predicting a doozy of a flu season this year.

I really wish I hadn't put this off because my 90 year old uncle is in the hospital with the flu and I can't go visit him.

by Anonymousreply 1312/05/2012

The strain of flu that this one is suppose to protect against, is expected to hit in 10-13 days.

I don't know what bug is out there, but the Heathcare system in Canada has been promoting the flu shot like never before in history. Every doctors office you walk in asks, to you get it and they are actually advertizing it on billboards infront of all the drug stores. They have never done either of these things and this is a government funded system. It is not like they make any money promoting it more.

Something special is up this year, because in all my life, I have never seen it promoted so aggressively. I got the flu shot for the first time in 12 years this year.

by Anonymousreply 1412/05/2012

Giving flu shots at schools, pharmacies, nursing homes and supermarkets used to be a good gig for semi-retired nurses or nurses who want to make some extra money for the holidays. Now, anyone can give a flu shot if they take a class. This means you can get a flu shot any day of the week in pharmacies. So go get one. I got mine at 7:30 pm in Target

by Anonymousreply 1512/05/2012

I had mine done at Costco a couple of weeks ago. The guy said it would take full effect in two weeks, but there would be some effect from the time I took the shot. Every time I've gotten the flu, it was in January, so it's definitely worth it.

Besides, if something happens later and you're sick with any illness at all, you can't get a shot then, so get it now and quit putting it off, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1612/05/2012

If there ever was a bio warfare risk and the government came up with an immunity vaccine, it wold have to be sold as the flu shot, because anything else would create a panic.

Same goes with this new super strain they have been hyping for 5 years now. In these situations, pubic panic can be worse than the disease, so mass inoculations have to be done very quietly.

by Anonymousreply 1712/05/2012

Can you get one if you're a vegan?

by Anonymousreply 1812/05/2012

[quote] Something special is up this year, because in all my life I have never seen it promoted so aggressively.

It's because they changed the rules about who could give flu shots. It used to be that only doctors and nurses could give flu shots. So pharmacies had to hire a nurse to give out flu shots. There were agencies that drew up schedules for the nurses, sending them to different places each day, so a pharmacy or supermarket would only have a nurse for one or two days to give out shots.

Now that the rules are changed, pharmacy assistants can give out flu shots, so the shots can be given any day the pharmacy is open, with no wait time, no appointment necessary. So there is a big push by stores which contain pharmacies to get the word out to the public -- you no longer need to make an appointment. We will give the flu shot every day during pharmacy hours.

That's why you see the promotional signs everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 1912/05/2012

I saw on the CBS evening news last night that even though more seniors than ever get the flu shot, the same amount of them still are dying from the flu.

by Anonymousreply 2012/05/2012

[quote]A friend of mine got a flue shot and then died.

Did he get stuck in the chimney?

by Anonymousreply 2112/05/2012

r20, could it be that there are more seniors than ever?

by Anonymousreply 2212/05/2012

[quote] I saw on the CBS evening news last night that even though more seniors than ever get the flu shot, the same amount of them still are dying from the flu.

As compared to when? In the 1970s, February and March had pages and pages of obituaries. It was mostly elderly people who died of pneumonia and flu. As soon as April came around, the obits went back to normal.

I haven't seen obituaries in numbers like those of the 1970s anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 2312/05/2012

Folks, I highly recommend getting a shot if you haven't already. I started getting sick Monday, and sure enough I have the flu and a touch of pneumonia. The docs threw the kitchen sink at it, so thankfully I'm not running a 103-degree fever anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2412/05/2012

Got my shot on Friday.

Have gotten a flu shot every year for at least the last 15 years.

Despite the shots, two of those 15 years I came down with the flu anyway. But it was a much milder case than what most people had.

Doctor said it was the flu shot that made helped make it a milder case.

by Anonymousreply 2512/05/2012

I'm with r15 have gotten the shot every year for 20 years and haven't had the flu since. It's not too late to get a shot!

by Anonymousreply 2612/05/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!