Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Christmas Dinner

Any recommendations for cooking a Christmas dinner for family? Nothing I need to knock myself out for. (I have physical limitations.)

by Anonymousreply 4612/07/2012

Everything goes better with Cheez-Whiz.

by Anonymousreply 112/03/2012

A roasted piece of beef is about the easiest thing imaginable. Salt and pepper it, stick it in the oven, and you're done.

Of course the quality of beef matters -- I'd get the most expensive, highest grade beef you can afford. Costco beef is excellent. They even have grade prime beef now.

by Anonymousreply 212/03/2012

We highly recommend Boston Market.

by Anonymousreply 312/03/2012

Go to Denny's.

by Anonymousreply 412/03/2012

Lasagna. You can make it in advance then pop it in the oven. Serve with salad $ great rustic bread.

by Anonymousreply 512/03/2012

R2's idea of a roasted hunk of beef is great (a ham would be the same level of effort). Baked potatoes (not a bar) are easy as pie, as are steamed green beans (squeeze some lemon over them and add some butter). Get some of those baby carrots (which we all know are milled down from past-their-prime full carrots, but whatever, it saves you the effort of chopping) and bake them with some brown sugar. Get some nice dinner rolls and ask everyone to bring some of their Christmas baking to share for dessert. Not much effort or prep time, but a pretty classic dinner.

by Anonymousreply 612/03/2012

I don't know about you, but I'm dying to hear the fussy suggestions of DL's own Galloping Gourmet troll on this topic.

by Anonymousreply 712/03/2012

Roast goose is heavenly, and having a goose at midwinter is a tradition that predates Christianity.

Not cheap, though, but no harder to cook than a turkey.

by Anonymousreply 812/04/2012

It depends on your physical limitations. Can you lift ovr 5lbs? Are you in a wheelchair? Can you stand for longer than 10 min.?

by Anonymousreply 912/04/2012

We do a filet of beef every year. Use a prime 4 lb. filet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme. Brown on all sides in olive oil. Roast at a high temp (425 to 430) for 28 minutes. Rest 10 minutes. Done.

Serve with Blue Cheese Scalloped Potatoes, Sauteed green beans and horseradish sauce on the side.

by Anonymousreply 1112/04/2012

How many people does a 4lb fillet of beef feed?

by Anonymousreply 1212/04/2012

Do you have a Crock Pot, OP? I tossed this in mine in the morning, and by afternoon or evening, it's deelicious.

Pork Loin Roast with Glamour 1 pork loin roast, 3 lbs or more 1 c brown sugar 1 T dry mustard 1/8 t ground cloves 1/8 t ginger 2 T vinegar (to make mixture spreadable) 1 t salt 1/8 t pepper Sprinkle roast with salt & pepper. Place fat side up in a shallow roasting pan. Place in 325 degree oven and allow 40 minutes per pound. When loin is about half done, remove from oven and spread half the brown sugar sauce over the roast. Return to oven and continue cooking until last 30 minutes of cooking period, then spread remaining sauce over the roast.

by Anonymousreply 1312/04/2012

Order out. Some delivery complete x-mas dinners.

by Anonymousreply 1412/04/2012

A 4 lb. filet should feed 6 hungry people or 8 not-so-hungry people.

by Anonymousreply 1512/04/2012

Slightly off topic but has anyone else done a prime rib in a rock salt crust? Heavenly. Juiciest piece of beef I've ever eaten. The rock salt, mixed with herbs, hardens in the oven and seals all the juices in. You need a chisel and mallet to break open the crust but it's drool worthy.

by Anonymousreply 1612/04/2012

[quote]Pork Loin Roast with Glamour

by Anonymousreply 1712/04/2012

The Costco beef roast is an excellent idea and the Reser's Main St. Bistro Baked Scalloped Potatoes Costco sells in the refrigerator section are superb. They sell for about $5.99 per package. I buy 2 packages and put them in a nice baking dish, sprinkle a little paprika on top and heat them up, no one is the wiser and they feed a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1812/04/2012

Pork shoulder.

Marinate in massive amounts of garlic, lemon or lime, salt and oregano. Roast.

It has enough fat so it can take a long slow roast and you can put carrots, potatoes and other veg to the side in the same pan. Easy and exquisite.

by Anonymousreply 1912/04/2012

My best advice would be to focus on things you can just prep quickly and pop in the oven to roast, rather than things you have to stand over the stove and labor over. I'm doing all roasted veggies this year because I don't feel like sauteing. My menu will probably be beef tenderloin, sweet potato gratin, roasted green beans with shallots and balsamic honey glazed butternut squash. A potato gratin might be more work than you'd want to put in, but some simple oven roasted potatoes would be easy and perfectly fine. I pair the tenderloin with a red wine sauce that is a decent amount of work to prepare, but it's also delicious by itself just brushed with a little olive oil, sprinkled with a little salt/pepper and roasted in the oven. As for the butternut squash, I'll probably buy the pre-peeled and cubed kind. Any veggies you can buy already sliced and peeled are your friend.

by Anonymousreply 2012/04/2012

R11 That sounds delicious!

by Anonymousreply 2112/04/2012

I do R11's roast but I don't brown it. I buy no more than 5 lbs. I roll it in kosher/sea salt and crushed black pepper, set the oven to 500 and, when it's hot, I lower it to 475 and put the roast in. Cook 5 mins for every pound (5 lbs = 35 mins). The trick is to turn the oven off after 35 mins and DON'T OPEN THE DOOR for two hours. Works perfectly every time, and leaves you lots of time to do other things.

by Anonymousreply 2212/04/2012

R11, I'll trade you the recipe at the link that makes scalloped potatoes with a combination of yukon gold & sweet potatoes ("yams") for your blue cheese scalloped potatoes recipe.

I hate Christmas, but I do love the food.

by Anonymousreply 2312/04/2012

SEVEN mins for every pound = 35. Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 2412/04/2012

I didn't name the stupid recipe, I was looking at 1950s recipes from magazines leftover from my dead mother-in-law. Sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 2512/05/2012

I'm serving pigs in a blanket hors d'oeuvers. I'm not kidding. My sister, her bf and her two sons come over ragingly hungry and demolish anything I put out in minutes. I used to have shrimp, but it got too expensive because I was buying more every year ("got anymore shrimp?") so I bought a few boxes of Hebrew national and they were fine with it.

by Anonymousreply 2612/06/2012

Chinese Food

by Anonymousreply 2712/06/2012

I've seen 2 versions of cooking directions for standing rib roast: 1. Sear, then roast at 350 OR 2. Slow roast at 200

Which is better?

by Anonymousreply 2812/06/2012

Agree that R11 suggested a great menu and R23's scalloped potato recipe looks great.

The blue cheese scalloped potato recipe I use is from Patricia Well's Bistro Cooking

by Anonymousreply 2912/06/2012

[quote]Pork Loin Roast with Glamour

Official DL Christmas dish.

by Anonymousreply 3012/06/2012

Eat out.

by Anonymousreply 3112/06/2012

Yam and sweet potato are really not the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 3212/06/2012

As many of these as needed.

by Anonymousreply 3312/06/2012

Haha, R33, that brings back some ancient memories. I used to love the cinnamon apples in those old fashioned tv dinners.

by Anonymousreply 3412/06/2012

R32, yam & sweet potato are not at all the same thing. In America, the orange fleshed red skinned sweet potato is often erroneously labelled "yam", & that's the variety called for in most American recipes.

by Anonymousreply 3512/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 3612/06/2012

R35, your point being?

by Anonymousreply 3712/06/2012

Roast Beast.

by Anonymousreply 3812/07/2012

Anyone know any great Baked Bean recipes?

by Anonymousreply 3912/07/2012

Deal R23

by Anonymousreply 4012/07/2012

All this talk of beef roasts reminds me of my favorite topping. My mother always served her roast beef with a horseradish/sour cream sauce with fresh dill, served at room temperature. It was perfect.

My own personal favorite these days, is a Pork Loin roast rubbed with a mix of fennel, black pepper and kosher salt

I serve it with a melange of roasted veggies including cubed chunks of butternut squash, roasted carrots (real ones cut in chunks) zuchini, yellow squash, roasted red bell peppers, portobello mushrooms, halved brussel sprouts and fresh asparagus, red onions. Put it all in a plastic freezer bag,add a tiny splash of balsamic vinegar and oilve oil, salt pepper to taste and roast for about 25 minutes @ 425.

Make a nice apple sauce from scratch, and scalloped potatoes casserole, with white cheddar and parsley.

For dessert I usually serve fruit pies and icecream and have a bowl of fruit and some cookies & nuts.

by Anonymousreply 4112/07/2012

R41, I love roasted veggies, but don't all the ones you listed roast for different times? The zucchini and mushrooms would be overdone in the amount of time it takes for the carrots to cook.

by Anonymousreply 4212/07/2012

Yes. I roast my carrots separately, longer than the others.

by Anonymousreply 4312/07/2012

Caramel-covered popcorn, BBQ chips, Fanta soda, Cheetos, and Dorito Nacho-flavored chips.

by Anonymousreply 4412/07/2012

Irish coffee, Cheerios, and a Vicodin.

by Anonymousreply 4512/07/2012

R13, why did you ask about a crock pot (and claimed to have "tossed this" in one) and then proceeded to post a recipe for pork loin baked in a roasting pan in the oven?? Did you "toss" the whole oven in your crock pot? Must be a big crock pot!

by Anonymousreply 4612/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!