Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Remember Green Goddess dressing?

Can you still buy it bottled? I found a recipe for it that sounds delish.

2 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry, and coarsely chopped 1 medium garlic clove, smashed and peeled 1 cup mayonnaise 1/2 cup sour cream 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh Italian parsley leaves 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh tarragon leaves 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

by Anonymousreply 4011/08/2013

I loved Green Goddess dressing -- I was very upset when I couldn't find it anymore. Thanks, OP!

by Anonymousreply 112/03/2012

For you R1. The instructions, pretty easy.

Place all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula as needed. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed. Refrigerate in a container with a tight fitting lid for up to 1 week.

by Anonymousreply 212/03/2012

Gee OP, if only there were somewhere to search for the information that you seek

[quote] In the early 1970s, salad dressing maker Seven Seas produced a bottled version of this dressing. It is still made in limited quantities, although the company has since been purchased by Kraft Foods. It is sold at online outlets like The Vermont Country Store and Ralph's grocery on the West coast (Parent company Kroeger), also Wal-Mart.

by Anonymousreply 312/03/2012

here ya go OP

by Anonymousreply 412/03/2012

The stuff in bottles is crap, make your own.

by Anonymousreply 512/03/2012

Last time I was in Florida I saw in a Publix.

by Anonymousreply 612/03/2012

I agree that the bottle stuff is crap. Most bottled dressing contain HFCS now.

by Anonymousreply 712/03/2012

I got ½ a bottle in my fridge as I type.

I like to drizzle Green Goddess dressing on a quick salad I make when the sweet grapefruits and avocados come in this time of year.

Good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 812/03/2012

Bottled Green Goddess dressing is not nearly as bad as using the word "delish".

by Anonymousreply 912/03/2012

Just saw a bottled version at Ralph's in LA but I can't remember if it was Kraft or Anne's Organic. Hadn't seen it in years.

by Anonymousreply 1012/03/2012

I haven't had this dressing since I was little, but I've always had the impression that it had cucumber in it. I guess I confused it with creamy cucumber.

by Anonymousreply 1112/03/2012

Kraft Green Goddess dressing. Seen today in Publix in St. Petersburg, FL. "Savory and Vibrant." Near the key lime pie.

by Anonymousreply 1211/06/2013

Yuck, you lost me at tarragon, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1311/06/2013

I thought Green Goddess dressing had a cucumber flavor... Is there another dressing that looks similar and has cucumbers in it? I could swear I've had it before.

by Anonymousreply 1411/06/2013

Green Goddess dressing was awful. It used to give my tongue pimples!

by Anonymousreply 1511/06/2013

It is one of the salad dressing choices at Saladworks when you are willing to mortgage your house to buy a salad there.

by Anonymousreply 1611/06/2013

[quote]I got ½ a bottle in my fridge as I type.

Put it on eBay.

by Anonymousreply 1711/06/2013

My mom made OP's recipe. We loved it so much that in a pinch Seven Seas Green Goddess would do.

I bought the Kraft Green Goddess a few months ago, and I think they substituted the anchovies with marshmallows.

Annes Goddess dressing is good, but it's not Green Goddess.

by Anonymousreply 1811/06/2013

Kraft bought Seven Seas but the flavor seems the same as when I was a kid. I bought a bottle a couple of years ago.

It's very similar to Ranch, but perhaps more herbal. No anchovy flavor that I detected (I don't like anchovies and they're not "nutty" in taste, despite what Rachel Ray says.)

BTW, Julia Child tracked down Rosa Cardini, the daughter of Caesar Cardini. The original Caesar Salad had no anchovies, just some Worcestershire sauce, the better brands of which contain some anchovy paste.

by Anonymousreply 1911/06/2013

And here I was thinking Caesar salad was named after the emperor.

by Anonymousreply 2011/06/2013

"I am the Goddess of Wishbone!"

Green Goddess salad dressing TV commercial, 1960s

by Anonymousreply 2111/06/2013

No avocado? I always followed a recipe that used avocado.

by Anonymousreply 2211/06/2013

The current Seven Seas Green Goddess is nothing like the old version. To me it tastes like Kraft Creamy Italian with a little green food coloring thrown in.

I may have to try the recipe above. I have fond memories of Green Goddess from my childhood. My grandmother always used it as the dressing for her salads.

by Anonymousreply 2311/06/2013

Yuck, a fish dressing?? Eeeew, gross.

by Anonymousreply 2411/07/2013

Try Ina Garten's recipe-it's deelish!

by Anonymousreply 2511/07/2013

A homemade Green Goddess dressing with avocado sounds wonderful. Post the recipe if it turns out.

by Anonymousreply 2611/07/2013

The OP's recipe is what I've used in the past. I think I found it, or at least something that also used parsley and tarragon, in an Alice Waters cookbook.

However, I just looked at Ina's recipe, R25, and I know I'll like that more because I like basil so much more than parsley and tarragon, so thank you.

Bottled dressing = ick. If I don't have time, or the ingredients on hand, to make something like Green Goddess -- which is most of the time -- I just dress a salad simply, first coating the greens in EVOO and salt, then tossing, then vinegar, and then tossing. That's from Marcella Hazan.

by Anonymousreply 2711/07/2013

I used to love the bottled stuff (my mom probably bought whichever brand was cheapest at the time) -- haven't looked for it in ages, not sure what's available now.

I don't recall it tasting like parsley or tarragon (both of which I dislike), nor anchovies (which I love), so I'm surprised to find from OP's recipe that those are major ingredients.

The Ina Garten recipe with basil does sound good & I'm going to try that.

by Anonymousreply 2811/07/2013

[quote]Annes Goddess dressing is good, but it's not Green Goddess.

Agreed, not the same but the Annes/Trader Joes version (they are the same thing) is a similar bottled substitute that is quite delicious. You can find it at Trader Joes for a very affordable price.

by Anonymousreply 2911/07/2013

Annies makes Green Goddess too.

by Anonymousreply 3011/07/2013

I make a vegan version of the Annie's dressing that uses tahini as the fat and fresh herbs for the greenery.

It is fantastic and will put you off store-bought dressings. Last summer I grew flat leaf parsley on my patio and put piles of it in my freezer so I could make the dressing all winter long.

by Anonymousreply 3111/07/2013

R31, water in salad dressing? Ewww.

by Anonymousreply 3211/07/2013

Bottled dressing? Not on MY fresh salad!

by Anonymousreply 3311/07/2013

R22, mine is avocado based. Del friscos has the best avocado goddess dressing on earth.

by Anonymousreply 3411/07/2013

The restaurant 'The Buggy Whip' in LA on La Tijera (sadly now closed) claimed to have invented the dressing. But Wiki credits the Palace Hotel in SF.

by Anonymousreply 3511/07/2013

A reviewer on Amazon discussing how this new version has been "Kraftified" and no longer contains anchovies either.

I loved the original. It is time to make OP's recipe.

by Anonymousreply 3611/08/2013

People who use the word "delish" = 300lbs.

by Anonymousreply 3711/08/2013

They have it at Trader Joe's in Palm Springs.

by Anonymousreply 3811/08/2013

r37 TWO e's in deelish, doll, and, I'm down to 235.

by Anonymousreply 3911/08/2013

No, r39. It's DEEEEEEElish! And r37 types fat.

by Anonymousreply 4011/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.