Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Welcome to the Dollhouse"

I once mentioned this film in front of a friend, who wailed VERY loudly, "I *WAS* the Weiner Dog!"

A terrific film, and was wondering whether other folks' reaction to Dawn's intense alienation was "OMG Yes!"?

by OPreply 2012/03/2012

I saw that in the theater, it was ok, I wouldn't mind seeing it again. The actress who played Dawn eventually came out as gay. She said she started realizing she was gay while making the movie.

I still haven't seen the director's next movie Happiness, which also gets good reviews.

by OPreply 112/02/2012

One of the best depictions of junior high. And I liked that Dawn was unexceptional.

by OPreply 212/02/2012

R1, "Happiness" is very good, in my opinion. I'd say it's my favorite Solondz.

Some people roll their eyes at Todd Solondz, but I just "get" his work the majority of the time. I don't know.

I was 12 when WTTD was released. It was one of the first movies I saw that helped me realize there were probably other people out there with similar weirdness and senses of humor to mine. The filmmaking confirmed that others saw dark humor in the subtle nuances of humanity, among other things. I was also very into Daria at the time (and still love it).

by OPreply 312/02/2012

Meet me behind the school at 3, OP.

I'm gonna RAPE you.

by OPreply 412/02/2012

Great film. Reminds me I should watch it again.

by OPreply 512/02/2012

R4, it's "I'm Gonna WAPE you."

by OPreply 612/02/2012

"Mom, since Dawn isn't eating hers, can me and Mark split it?"

"Yeah, can we?"

**no cake for Dawn**

by OPreply 712/02/2012

She should have run off with the delinquent kid. Odds are they would still be together now married in some suburban area out of state with a passel of weiner dogs

by OPreply 812/02/2012

Oh, and when she implicitly fingers herself after talking to the "experienced" chick...

...then she says "I sprained my finger yesterday" when trying to seduce Steve Rogers.

These aren't really spoilers, because the entire film is carried by its tone and acting.

by OPreply 912/02/2012

Also very realistic as how she turned on her outcast gay twink friend when he came between her and popularity.

by OPreply 1012/02/2012

I thought it was really great when I first saw it.

Still good, but not really "brilliant" as all of its fans proclaim.

by OPreply 1112/02/2012

Ladyfingers

by OPreply 1212/02/2012

Eric Mabius was HOT in this.

by OPreply 1312/02/2012

Felt like my life- I could really relate to this movie.

by OPreply 1412/03/2012

R4 - Did you realize that the "rapist" actor went on to play a male stripper in John Waters' "Pecker"?

by OPreply 1512/03/2012

I hate that Dawn was killed off in Palindromes.

by OPreply 1612/03/2012

You think you're hot shit, but you're really just cold diarrhea.

by OPreply 1712/03/2012

[quote]I hate that Dawn was killed off in Palindromes.

I read that when Heather Matarazzo declined to reprise the role of Dawn, Todd Solondz killed off the character to start the movie.

Some of the dialogue was so brutal, true and funny. I still remember when Dawn asked one of her tormentors why she was doing this...

"Because you're UGLY."

by OPreply 1812/03/2012

Oh my god, I could have made half of these posts. Sorry R11, but I think the movie's brilliant because it's so accurate and unsentimental. Dawn is such a great character because she's a survivor, but not one who's glorified or given any phony redemptive moments.

Todd Solondz originally wanted to call the movie 'Faggots and Retards' because they're the most common insults that idiot teenagers use.

'I think ... oh, Steve! They're ALL so beautiful!'

by OPreply 1912/03/2012

A favorite but I always felt it went off the rails with the little sister's kidnapping.

by OPreply 2012/03/2012
Need more help? Click Here.