Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How did you find out that there was no Santa?

Did you just figure it out or did someone spill the beans?

by Anonymousreply 4112/05/2012

One day I just knew. Then I realized that it was my dad drinking the milk and eating the cookie I left out for him. Little did I know he hated peanut butter cookies, and that's what I had been leaving him.

by Anonymousreply 112/02/2012

My cousin told me, and then I asked my mother if it was true.

I'm still a little mad at both of them. (It's been almost 45 years.)

by Anonymousreply 212/02/2012

My parents were so frantic and disorganized Christmas Eve I knew it had to be them

by Anonymousreply 312/02/2012

I caught my mom and stepfather putting the gifts under the tree.

by Anonymousreply 412/02/2012

Common sense.

by Anonymousreply 512/02/2012

When I was 7 my younger sister broke one of Santa's gifts and was crying about it, and my mom said, "Oh, I'll just take it back to the store."

Hmm?

Then my mom look at me and said, "Oops."

by Anonymousreply 612/02/2012

Um.....from you OP, just now. Thanks a hell of a lot!

by Anonymousreply 712/02/2012

Post spoilers inside the thread, OP! Jerk!

by Anonymousreply 812/03/2012

My parents were religious so I was never told about Santa.

They loosened up by the time my younger siblings were born, so THEY were allowed to believe. My sister still blames me for telling her Santa wasn't real when she was 4. Bitch, at least you got 4 years.

by Anonymousreply 912/03/2012

My younger sister found all of the presents hidden under the sofa, a living room chair, under a tarp in the basement. She was 5. I was 6.

What I find amusing is that she was able to keep her daughter believing in Santa until she was well past 10.

by Anonymousreply 1012/03/2012

I basically figured it out on my own because it was preposterous (plus I found my mom's "super secret Santa only" wrapping paper in the front closet when I was about four), but it didn't become completely "official" until my mom admitted it to me when I was nine. For years before then I had been pleading with her to just admit it to me and she refused because it was too much fun for her to pretend. She really wasn't a very good liar/actress though, which made it all more obvious.

Probably my favorite story of finding out the truth about Santa comes from my best friend, whose psycho bitch mom simply blurted out "THERE'S NO SANTA!" out of nowhere because they were arguing about something stupid when she was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 1112/03/2012

I don't understand why would any parent want to make their child believe in Santa. I don't think children should be lied to (about these things anyway). Maybe that's a cultural thing because I'm from Europe so maybe it's important for American kids. As a child I knew the story about Santa and that was fun and all but I knew the presents were from my parents.

Maybe we're just a crazy cynical atheist family so no Santa for us :)

by Anonymousreply 1212/03/2012

I remember the day I figured it out. I was walking home from school one day - in the third grade so I was 8. I remember having a whole 'conversation' with myself about the plausibility of a red-suited fat man that flew through the night drawn by reindeer, entering the house magically through the chimney, etc. and suddenly realized that it was a story and a myth. And just like out of a Hallmark Hall of Fame TV movie, I realized that Santa existed, but just in our hearts - that it was all about love and the spirit and generosity and giving. So, yes, Santa existed in my parents - and even, now, in me. It was a moment of great clarity.

"And Oh, yeah," I remember thinking, "the same thing is true about Jesus and God."

by Anonymousreply 1312/03/2012

I'm embarassed to say I was 26 before I found out. I was raised in a small religous hamlet, never had any reason to question what I was told.

by Anonymousreply 1412/03/2012

Memories of Mom using the tree stand as a stripper pole while Dad was doing lines off the etch-a-sketch they'd bought me...

mmm...lines...

by Anonymousreply 1512/03/2012

I can't remember a time when I believed in Santa. I always knew it was my parents giving me those shitty gifts.

by Anonymousreply 1612/03/2012

I poisoned his milk and cookies one year, and we awoke to find father as dead as a doornail. When the coroner told mother about the traces of strychnine found in his system, I knew it was he who had eaten the fatal snack intended for Santa.

by Anonymousreply 1712/03/2012

Chrissie Chapman told me when I was five.

Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 1812/03/2012

I figured it out when I was 4. Don't remember it, but my mother always said that right before Christmas I said, "There's no such thing as Santa. It's you and Dad." Apparently they'd been zooming around town trying to pick up "Santa" gifts and I put it together.

I do remember my first year of kindergarten, when all the kids were excited about Santa Claus, and I wasn't even tempted to tell them because it felt like I was a grownup, knowing the truth.

by Anonymousreply 1912/03/2012

I never thought Santa was real. Because my parents never lied to me. They told me from the beginning he was a story, he represented the "spirit of giving".

I still had all the fun of pretending, and anticipating. But I always knew it was my parents that put the "Santa" presents under the tree.

by Anonymousreply 2012/03/2012

I found out in the worst way possible. Oh God, it was so horrible. It was Christmas Eve. I was 9 years old. Me and Mom were decorating the tree, waiting for Dad to come home from work. A couple hours went by. Dad wasn't home. So Mom called the office. No answer.

Christmas Day came and went, and still nothing. So the police began a search. Four or five days went by. Neither one of us could eat or sleep. Everything was falling apart. It was snowing outside. The house was freezing, so I went to try to light up the fire.

That's when I noticed the smell. The firemen came and broke through the chimney top. And me and Mom were expecting them to pull out a dead cat or a bird. And instead they pulled out my father. He was dressed in a Santa Claus suit. He'd been climbing down the chimney... his arms loaded with presents. He was gonna surprise us. He slipped and broke his neck. He died instantly. And that's how I found out there was no Santa Claus.

by Anonymousreply 2112/03/2012

My mother told me just after the Christmas season that year. I don't know how old I was but recall instantly saying that now I knew the Easter bunny was not real either.

by Anonymousreply 2212/03/2012

I was sucking his cock and riffled through his wallet and found out his real name.

by Anonymousreply 2312/03/2012

A Jewish kid, David Reich, told me.

by Anonymousreply 2412/03/2012

I love R21

by Anonymousreply 2512/03/2012

WHAT? What are you saying???? WHAT?????

by Anonymousreply 2612/03/2012

Did anyone have creative parents who kept up your belief via stories and happenings?

by Anonymousreply 2712/03/2012

When I was 8 I announced my plans to bobby-trap the Christmas tree in an effort to catch Santa in the act. When my plan expanded to bobby-trapping the whole house my mother figured she had to put a stop to it. After giving me the bad news, I asked what any inquisitive child would ask.

"Is there an Easter Bunny?"

"No"

"What about the Tooth Fairy?"

"No"

"Leprechauns?"

"No", again.

"What about God?"

"OF COURSE THERE IS A GOD! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?!?"

And that dear readers, is how you turn a child into an atheist.

by Anonymousreply 2812/03/2012

I never believed in Santa. I was a smart kid and realized early on it was just a fantasy story. A nice one, but still a story.

A fat guy in a red suit travels around in a sled with eight reindeer, breaks into people's houses and leaves presents (made by elves no less) to children all over the world ... all in one night? You'd have to be retarded to believe that.

by Anonymousreply 2912/03/2012

[quote]Maybe that's a cultural thing because I'm from Europe

My parenst are from Europe so maybe that's another reason. They never mentioned Santa. I only heard about him on TV. And saw him in malls.

Americans seem to have this need to believe in fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 3012/03/2012

Logic took the best of me.

I was never taught to believe in magic in any other context so I didn't believe "Santa" could fly around and make it to all those chimneys in one night.

And what about houses without chimneys?

And how is possible in this day and age of cameras and video tape, he hasn't been sighted or caught on tape?

And how can that be Santa at the mall when he's also at the local drug store, and the shopping center... on the same nigh...and it's clearly two - three different old men. Who are not magical.

etc.

( -- My mind, age 7. )

by Anonymousreply 3112/03/2012

r21 is lying.

by Anonymousreply 3212/03/2012

I figured it out pretty early but I also realized that 1. I might be wrong, and 2. Even if' I'm right I get more stuff for playing along. I played along for a couple more years.

For me, the final piece of the puzzle was Santa using the same wrapping paper my Mother used.

by Anonymousreply 3312/03/2012

I spoiled it for myself. When I was 7, I was reading my way through Dr. Spock's "Baby and Child Care." (I would read anything that was lying around, even cereal boxes or my mother's Missal).

There in Dr. Spock, I came across the section on what to tell your child about Santa Claus. I could not believe my parents had lied to me.

by Anonymousreply 3412/03/2012

[quote]I don't know how old I was but recall instantly saying that now I knew the Easter bunny was not real either.

Does any kid really buy into the Easter Bunny thing?

Even as far back as I remember, the concept of a magic giant rabbit hiding colored eggs and candy in my backyard because Jesus died on a cross made no sense whatsoever on any level.

by Anonymousreply 3512/03/2012

I grew up in a predominantly Jewish neighborhood. One year when I was around 6, my parents threw a New year's Eve party, and the neighbors that were invited brought over their kids. We were all friends, around the same age. They told me then that Santa was a lie. I was so upset that my parents were lying to me. They were adamant that Santa was real.

So the next year, the home use BETA video camcorders had finally been invented (this was the early 80's). And my father always has to have the latest gadget. He bought one. He set it up on Christmas eve, pointed at the tree. So we could see Santa come on video. And there Santa was! It wasn't a Santa in a red costume like what it portrayed in the news, it was a spirit. The real one - of Saint Nick. I was so impressed! Santa was real and at MY house! I showed my friends the video that following New Years eve party, and they were in disbelief. They were convinced Santa wasn't real because their parents told them so. Now they were questioning their parents why Santa didn't come to their house. Hanukah just wasn't as fun.

Several years later I was watching the video when going through tapes. I realized that "Santa" was actually a sparkler. My father used a close up shot of a lit sparkler as a "special effect"

I didn't tell him that I was onto him - but I knew that was definitely a sparkler.

by Anonymousreply 3612/03/2012

I think my grandmother was the one who first told me, I think about age 6 that Santa Claus was "just a spirit". I asked my mother about it and she probably clued me in further. Talk about "all good things must come to an end" and "nothing lasts forever". I don't give a shit about Christmas in my old age, it really is a waste of time for some people--I go to the baths and get laid on Dec. 25th.

by Anonymousreply 3712/05/2012

Never! It was too outlandish a story for this little fairy. I was the same way at bible school...really...parted the water? How? That's a story! I used to get in such trouble.

by Anonymousreply 3812/05/2012

I got circumsized.

by Anonymousreply 3912/05/2012

My parents never pretended it was anyone but themselves providing our Christmas gifts, so I missed out on the Santa story, except culturally.

by Anonymousreply 4012/05/2012

I snuck downstairs one xmas eve to try and catch Santa and I saw my father eating the cookies. I shouted, those are for Santa...and started to cry. The house woke up. I was going on and on about how my stupid father ate Santa's cookies and now Santa has nothing and he's not going to give me any presents now. I was hysterical and one of my sister told me. I was the youngest at this point and the show was really just still for me.

by Anonymousreply 4112/05/2012
Need more help? Click Here.