Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Would You Want To Live In The Early 1900s

or any other decade/century that's been glamorized by Hollywood, the public, or the gay masses thanks to the arts?

As a gay person it would be a nightmare. I can only imagine what it would be like for a black person.

Looking back at old movies and reading old literature, it's all so enticing, but being that I'm gay, that stops me from ever having any desire to live in their time period. It does cross my mind as to what it was like for other gay people during the era while reading or watching. A big downer.

We really don't have any eras where we could have lived openly. Maybe Ancient Greece.

What are we left with? The present. It's the only era as a gay person where we're closer to gaining full legal acceptance, not to mention public. No other era has really been good for us.

White, heterosexual men can look back at centuries past and not automatically wince.

by HIStoryreply 4404/04/2013

How about being gay in other cultures? Or is this a white person only thread?

by HIStoryreply 112/02/2012

You would have died from influenza.

by HIStoryreply 212/02/2012

Even as a white heterosexual male one would still have a host of health risks to deal with from smallpox and whooping cough to appendicitis and tooth decay the latter two dealt with minus anesthesia until the 1840s and 50s and even then anesthesia was only in its "infancy". In the US white males who had no property (land) could not vote no matter what age they were until the 1830s. It would be interesting, though, to be "translated" back to that time with a machine that would put you in the nearest equivalent then to what you are now.

by HIStoryreply 312/02/2012

Hell no. Black white gay straight I like things like antibiotics and flush toilets.

by HIStoryreply 412/02/2012

Oh, but they had style then!

by HIStoryreply 512/02/2012

No Deodorant! It was hard for men to shave themselves therefore the barber kept personalized shaving mugs and used them because he shave everyone. The horses would shit in the streets and if the street sweeper didn't pick it up you just might step in it. In the summer it would dry in the streets and the wind would blow it up into everything. Dentists sucked. Not everyone had braces if anyone! Hair tonics and fixatives sucked. No hair dryers. No washing machines or modern irons so clothing didn't look quite as nice as the movies would lead you to believe. No Deodorant! I could go on and on.

by HIStoryreply 612/02/2012

I like to live as a very RICH gay man in the New York City of a sitcom where each week I'd get a different guest star boyfriend.

Just line 'em up. Start with all those out of work soap hunks.

Hilarity ensues.

by HIStoryreply 712/02/2012

Definitely not the South.

California would have been best.

by HIStoryreply 812/03/2012

Live in an age before penicillin, when getting so much as a cut on your foot could result in death? Live in a time where people routinely threw their trash on the streets, streets that were already littered with horse shit? (And thats what the living horses did, the dead ones were just left where they dropped until someone days later came to take it away.)

No, thanks.

by HIStoryreply 912/03/2012

If I could live in another time it would be the American west right after WW2

by HIStoryreply 1012/03/2012

[quote]If I could live in another time it would be the American west right after WW2

You mean the time and place where they were daily detonating atomic bombs for the fun of it?

by HIStoryreply 1112/03/2012

I think about these things in terms of being a woman.

All that victorian era crap where the men are so dashing and the styles are so beautiful, etc. But I would HATE to be a woman back then, let alone a lesbian.

My whole worth would be determined by men's interests. I would have no independence. If I were remotely middle or upperclass I wouldn't even be allowed out at night.

if I were straight- I would be denied sex and if I chose to have sex anyway- I would have to live in Mortal FEAR of becoming pregnant.

UGH. It would suck!

by HIStoryreply 1212/03/2012

I think I'd like to have been an American during and right after WWII. The war would be horrifying but it seems like Americans really pulled their shit together to deal with it. Basically every able bodied man went off to war - movie stars, baseball players, businessmen. It wasn't just the financially disadvantaged kids fighting. And the women went off to work in nontraditional roles, keeping things running on the homefront while they managed to scrape by with rationed food and pickings from their victory garden. Or was that all a load of horseshit we were raised to believe?

by HIStoryreply 1312/03/2012

I guess there's a reason they romanticize the past.

Hell- if it was good we wouldn't have needed to change it.

by HIStoryreply 1412/03/2012

There is simply no way I am going to wear only black for an entire year when someone in my family dies.

by HIStoryreply 1512/03/2012

If we could go back in time to the early 1900s, we would be overwhelmed by how bad people stank and how filthy they looked. Not to mention the lack of toilet facilities and running water. The hygiene and sanitation standards of the day would be appalling to us.

by HIStoryreply 1612/03/2012

It it weren't for antibiotics, I would have died several times over by now. If I had lived back in the early 1900s there is no question that I would not have lived to see my 25th birthday.

by HIStoryreply 1712/03/2012

I'd have been more miserable as a gay man, but on the other hand I would have probably died sooner.

by HIStoryreply 1812/03/2012

I might've been dead by 30. I'd sure as hell would not have lived past 39.

by HIStoryreply 1912/03/2012

I just want a time machine where I could go and just look around then leave.

by HIStoryreply 2012/03/2012

I'd live in a lumber camp with 200 randy men!

by HIStoryreply 2112/03/2012

I don't know if I could hack it permanently, but I wish I could spend at least one month in 1900s/10s/20s New York (or any major U.S. city I guess). All those dashing, peasanty mustachioed young European men in suspenders and top-hats. I wish the whole suspenders/newsie look would come back for men.

Gonna throw an early 1900s-themed costume party now.

by HIStoryreply 2212/04/2012

I think there is a movie in this.

by HIStoryreply 2312/04/2012

Agree with r12. Unless I could have a sex change, there's no way I'd ever want to go back in time.

by HIStoryreply 2412/04/2012

I'd be dead back then. The Victorian age wasn't rocking color or Victor/Victoria. I'd be trying to find a runway, when I should have been trying to run away.

by HIStoryreply 2512/04/2012

[quote]Basically every able bodied man went off to war - movie stars, baseball players, businessmen. It wasn't just the financially disadvantaged kids fighting.

Chortle!

by HIStoryreply 2612/04/2012

R12 and no tampons or napkins. Just rags or old newspapers.

by HIStoryreply 2712/04/2012

Hell no id kill every man that gave me shit like wtf u u thought this was

by HIStoryreply 2804/03/2013

I wouldn't, mostly because of the more gross aspects regarding hygeine, since I am female. A life without antibiotics and the high infant mortality rates would pretty much equal misery compared to today's standards. And, douching with Lysol? No thank you! I wish I had heroin for cough medicine sometimes, though. Regarding sexism, society hasn't come nearly as far as nowadays as we would like to think. You still don't have to look far to see examples everywhere of women encouraged to manipulate men into doing their bidding instead of making things happen directly. "She's so pretty she'll never have to work" is probably never going to die either, unfortunately; boastful, wishful thinking bullshit like that still does so much damage.

by HIStoryreply 2904/03/2013

Women douched with Lysol not for cleanliness but as birth control since it was illegal.

by HIStoryreply 3004/03/2013

Did that ever work r30? I thought it wasn't effective, was it? Interesting.

by HIStoryreply 3104/03/2013

I'd go back and get with Virgina WOOLF

by HIStoryreply 3204/04/2013

Because 'gay' was not public it was not an issue. I would find a way to fuck.

by HIStoryreply 3304/04/2013

You all refer to personal hygiene, when the most diseased things were people's minds.

by HIStoryreply 3404/04/2013

LA in that time frame would have been fun. Emerging neighborhoods, great weather and the movie industry. Exciting and glam.

by HIStoryreply 3504/04/2013

No - Prohibition put a crimp in fast living - that's why so many Americans left for Europe, i.e., it was more free (kind of like today, too).

There are aspects of the past that will always seem better than today. But we neglect to face the fact that past ways of life created problems that led to discarding those very ways. Just for example, the sex-drenched 70's when most sexually transmitted infections could be cured with a pill, and those that couldn't weren't all that bad.

Regardless, if I had to be transported to an earlier time, I'd know my way around/how to get sex.

by HIStoryreply 3604/04/2013

I read recently that Calvin Coolidge's 16-year old son died from blood poisoning while Coolidege was in office. Never knew that before. Evidently, the younger Coolidge got a blister while playing tennis on the White House lawn and it got infected. If the son of one of the most powerful men in the world could die so randomly, how did anyone survive?

by HIStoryreply 3704/04/2013

I'd like to hitch a ride with R20.

by HIStoryreply 3804/04/2013

As both a Black man and a gay man, I have zero interest in living in any era before this one right now, and shudder at how much our culture continues to look at these eras of sexism, classism, racism, and homophobia through rose colored glasses. Mad Men? Downton Abbey? Blech, I'll pass.

by HIStoryreply 3904/04/2013

Well, dearie, it's not like we asked YOU, R39

by HIStoryreply 4004/04/2013

Hardly any of you would have lived in cities. You would have been out on the farm somewhere. Personally, I'd run away to work in a lumber camp. All the dick I could get.

by HIStoryreply 4104/04/2013

yell to the NO, OP!

I'm nearly blind without my glasses/contacts. I would have been considered disabled back then and put in a mental home or worse.....

by HIStoryreply 4204/04/2013

I've always over-identified with gay men from the mid-century era: Truman Capote, James Baldwin, Gore Vidal. Even as a little black, female kid in 1970's Maryland. So much so that when "The Naked Civil Servant" was aired on PBS when I was 4 or so my mother suggested I watch it since it reminded her of me. That same year, my father let me watch "Breakfast at Tiffany's" since the soundtrack was one of my favorite albums, and my mother introduced me to both "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" and "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte." & yet the entire family was so surprised that I grew up to be a muff diver.

by HIStoryreply 4304/04/2013

Uh no...being a person of color is already terrifying enough today. I can't imagine what it was like 100 years ago.

by HIStoryreply 4404/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.