Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Shin Dong Hyuk, born in N. Korean prison camp on 60 min. tonight

How is he a normal, functioning human being? He cannot possibly have normal human emotions, when he was born and raised in that environment, right? He admitted that he felt no emotion when his mother and brother (who he reported) were killed in front of him. Will all of these prisoners in N Korea, that were born and raised there, be psychopaths? He seems so inhuman.

by Anonymousreply 2412/04/2012

I read an article on Hyuk soon after he reached South Korea. His mother and brother had plotted together to escape, were captured, and executed in front of him. He was not in on the plans being too young, and having been raised separately. Still he was severely tortured as a result of their actions, and suffers permanent excruciating pain.

by Anonymousreply 112/02/2012

Fascinating story on 60 Minutes.

by Anonymousreply 212/03/2012

I've been working on a fiction book pertaining to North Korea and found his story intriguing, but incredibly sad. I can only imagine the mental torture he goes through daily, knowing there are people in Camp 14 who are still suffering and there's nothing he can do about it. They mentioned the "Escape From Camp 14" book about his life, I want to check it out.

I'm in my 30s and it's safe to say North Korea won't be freed within my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 312/03/2012

R3, Those that live in N. Korea have probably lost most of their ability to think independently or creatively. Basic survival, with a chronic lack of food for almost everyone, requires one to permanently ignore honest feelings and have a fatalistic point-of-view.

by Anonymousreply 412/03/2012

I'm mad that I didn't watch 60 minutes last night.

by Anonymousreply 512/03/2012

R5 - here you go

by Anonymousreply 612/03/2012

by Anonymousreply 712/03/2012

hey, R5 did you watch the post script video "becoming Human"?

by Anonymousreply 812/03/2012

Sorry I meant R6.

by Anonymousreply 912/03/2012

Famished people problems.

by Anonymousreply 1012/03/2012

If you're interested in North Korea I highly recommend the book "Nothing to Envy." I finished it recently and it's a fascinating look into life inside North Korea. It truly is like a real life version of the Hunger Games. It's a shame how completely uninformed most people are about the conditions there.

by Anonymousreply 1112/03/2012

R11, I've been reading online about the conditions in N. Korea for some time. Still I can understand people's reluctance to keep up with the truth. After all what can most do, besides feel even more powerless, after learning about such great tragedy and suffering?

by Anonymousreply 1212/03/2012

Another great book is "The Aquariums of Pyongyang"; a depressing and harrowing read, but not wholly lacking in humor.

The depth of human capacity for cruelty is simply stunning, as is the capacity for human survival. Honestly, the conditions are so barbaric and utterly grim that it is baffling to me that not everyone attempts suicide.

It is disheartening (to say the least) that the world can't figure out a way to end this.

by Anonymousreply 1312/03/2012

Shin says he would like to return to live in the area near Camp 14, because he loves the mountains and the water.

He describes himself as in the process of changing from an animal into a human.

by Anonymousreply 1412/03/2012

OP, how is it possible that this person is going to be born in a NK prison camp on 60 Minutes tonight? Are you psychic? Why would 60 Minutes show such a thing?

by Anonymousreply 1512/03/2012

Verificatia of size meat?

by Anonymousreply 1612/03/2012

r1, on the 60 Minutes interview he revealed that he actually did turn his mother and brother in for plotting escape. He said it took many years for him to reveal that information, but he finally confided in the guy that wrote the book. And it's also taken him a long time to feel bad about the fact that his mom and brother were executed as a result of his action. Previously he'd always thought he'd done a good thing since his family was trying to break the rules.

Overall very interesting.

I'm curious about many things regarding the story (so I'll likely check out the book), but there is one thing in particular. They mentioned the policy of a 3-generation punishment - where someone convicted of treason (or whatever other crimes) would be thrown in the camps along with their children and their children's children. The threat of interning the 3 generations is thought to be a deterrent. But I'm wondering what happens with the 4th generation. If a 4th is born in the camp, are those kids eventually allowed to leave? That doesn't make sense to me and it seems like families would stay together in the camps until they eventually die out.

by Anonymousreply 1712/04/2012

I don't know R17, but it's jaw dropping in its purity of evil. The goal being total irreversible debasement.

by Anonymousreply 1812/04/2012

Try this.....

by Anonymousreply 1912/04/2012

This is a fascinating story.

by Anonymousreply 2012/04/2012

R17, there likely isn't a fourth generation.

by Anonymousreply 2112/04/2012

The Workers' Party LOVES North Korea!

by Anonymousreply 2212/04/2012

I think this was one of 60 Minutes's most interesting stories, and Anderson's best piece for them. It made me want to pick up the book too to find out more about Hyuk's whole life in the camp and his escape. They should do a 2-hour documentary about this.

by Anonymousreply 2312/04/2012

Yeah, I agree that Anderson was perfect for this piece. His look of bewilderment at this man's survival was genuine without going over the top, and respectful without being fawning. Not easy to do.

by Anonymousreply 2412/04/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!