Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How did Kristen Davis land a starring role in Sex and the City?

She was markedly less talented than the other cast members: SJP and Nixon were legitimately gifted and Cattrall, while less versatile, owned that role. Davis was clearly the weakest link, the Matt LeBlanc of the show. How did she manage to land a part on the series, and keep it? Do you think the other actresses got annoyed with her lack of chops? I'd like to dish.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 8112/07/2012

She's gorgeous. Kristen was also pretty good on Melrose.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 212/02/2012

AShe stole the movie and should have had a supporting nomination.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 312/02/2012

Matt Leblanc is actually a decent actor, he's pretty great on Episodes. Kristen had her moments on the show but she absolutely was the weakest of the four. Didn't really impact the show for me though.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 412/02/2012

Her role was the least interesting, and still, in the later seasons she rose to the occasion and played it very well.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 512/02/2012

It wasn't guaranteed to be a hit. The other three weren't big names, your memory is clouded because they're all household names now. Sjp's film career was over when she took the role.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 612/02/2012

Sex and the City? What's that?

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 712/02/2012

I thought she was very natural in season 1 but then the character got a bit hysterical and over the top and that continued until the finale. I thought most improved on SATC was Nixon who seemed very stagey and 'actressy' in the earlier episodes but ended up making Miranda more human and likable that the other three put together.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 812/02/2012

She didn't 'leave' Melrose Place for Sex in the City

She was written out of Melrose for plot-line purposes. Her contract wasn't renewed for the next season.

Fortunately for her Darren Star (who created Melrose) left as show runner of that show to start up Sex and the City.

He invited her to audition (making no promises). She did and she got the part.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 912/02/2012

She's still stunning!

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 1012/02/2012

KD is no Meryl Streep but she's gorgeous and does what she does fairly well. I found Charlotte rather touching and funny, esp when she was married to Kyle McLachlan's character and deeply sexually frustrated.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 1112/02/2012

Stunning and gorgeous? She looks like any girl you went to high school with.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 1212/02/2012

R12 - I don't know what high school you went to, but Kristin today looks better than most 20 year olds.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 1312/02/2012

Please, Kristin is lovely - the loveliest of the four. And she did a great job of portraying to slightly uptight, WASPY Charlotte. Love her and her big shapely butt.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 1412/02/2012

I never thought she was anything special and she was really, really, bad in Melrose. Even for a campy show she was bad but something clicked for her as Charlotte. She played it well, and she still wasn't exactly good but she did alright. Her looks somehow peaked too, she really did grow into her beauty and aged really well.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 1512/02/2012

Yes, R14- she actually had a butt.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 1612/02/2012

By the end of FRIENDS, Matt LeBlanc was the best comic actor in the cast.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 1712/02/2012

Kristin's the only one of the four that you can honestly believe would be getting fucked a lot. Cynthia and SJP are homely, and Cattrall's character came across as desperate, plus she was old and had a hideous mole on her face. You could buy her as an aging call girl, but not a professional in any other sense of the word.

They had to cast at least one beautiful person in the show. Plus, Davis has a lot of charisma.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 1812/02/2012

[quote]She was written out of Melrose for plot-line purposes. Her contract wasn't renewed for the next season.

Exactly. Plus, her character was given one of the most pathetic deaths of any character on the show's history -- fitting, given that she was a total cunt. First everyone in her life, including her One True Love Billy, dropped her for being a toxic gash, and then she got drunk and slipped and fell into the Melrose Place pool, with no one there to save her. The pool boy found her the next morning.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 1912/02/2012

I think she played her part just fine but i don't think WASPY Charlotte would be best friends with the other characters if this were real life.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 2012/02/2012

I think alot of it had to do with writing and direction. In many episodes, she was passable. E.G. the miscarriage, Miranda's mother's funeral, the lesbian art collectors, but most times it seemed the writers and director geared her to be cartoonish and vapid. I don't think she has much range but what she does have, it wasnt used to the fullest on SATC.

At times, even Samantha was ridiculous. I don't think it was the actor's lack of talent. I am wondering why SJP's character was allowed to be as awful as she was and yet never looked cartoonish. At least not purposefully as in Samantha and Charlotte.

I found Miranda boring but she was the most real.

Off topic, but anyone feel Craig Ferguson's show never changes? It's been the same format, same jokes, same kitcsh for years. Even the guests are recycled. He has the same thing over and over yet he's beloved.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 2112/02/2012

R19 - "dropped her for being a toxic gash, and then she got drunk and slipped and fell into the Melrose Place pool, with no one there to save her."

I thought Allison found Brooke.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 2212/02/2012

She clearly sucks a mean dick.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 2312/02/2012

Charlotte wouldn't get fucked more than other characters. She was way too much work, not to mention a prude.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 2412/02/2012

"Off topic, but anyone feel Craig Ferguson's show never changes? It's been the same format, same jokes, same kitcsh for years. Even the guests are recycled. He has the same thing over and over yet he's beloved."

So? All of the great TV late night shows found their identity and basically stuck with that.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 2512/02/2012

She was great looking and she fit the bill for the type of Waspy person that they wanted to play Charlotte. Whenever she was all aghast about something she was believable. Just like Cynthia Nixon/Miranda was beievable as an abrasive woman, and how Kim Cattral/Samantha was blieavable as a voracious sexpot.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 2612/02/2012

I completely disagree with R18, and I'm assuming he/she has never actually *lived* in New York City and known any single Manhattan women. Regardless of her looks, Charlotte would rarely get approached by men, let alone laid, because she's too prim and proper and looks/acts like she's "waiting for marriage." Miranda wouldn't get laid much, either, because she's so defensive and comes off on first impression as a grade-A bitch, but OTOH she'd be the biggest "conquest" of the bunch for that exact reason, and I know a lot of straight guys who would savor the pleasure of getting someone so "frigid" all worked up and a slave to their cock.

I know SJP gets endless "horse" jokes here, but in real-life NYC Carrie would get laid frequently by virtue of her personality and smarts, plus she had a smokin' bod assuming you're not into big tits. I have zero problem believing Samantha would get laid whenever and however the fuck she wanted; long before cougars were "in," it was always a big deal for NYC straight guys to get seduced by a hot piece of older ass dating back to the "Mrs. Robinson" era, and re-juiced in modern times by the MILF phenomenon started with "American Pie."

Btw R6 is correct: the show was by no means a guaranteed hit. Anyone remember the painfully awful "fourth wall" pseudo-documentaries during the first season? Finally, while I agree that Kristen was the worst actress of the four, she successfully played Charlotte's primness to laughs on a number of occasions; one of my favorite SATC episodes remains the one when a guy she's dating asks her to let him buttfuck her, resulting in all three of the other girls immediately dropping what they were doing for an emergency cab confab. "I don't want to become the up-the-butt girl!!"

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 2712/02/2012

I thought she we PERFECT in that part.

And she made me cry [MARY!] in the later seasons, especially when she apologized to her future husband at the Jewish singles mixer.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 2812/02/2012

My friend met her on the Sony lot years ago and said she was extremely sweet.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 2912/02/2012

"and then she got drunk and slipped"

Or did she, Amanda?

Or DID she?

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 3012/02/2012

[quote] I know SJP gets endless "horse" jokes here, but in real-life NYC Carrie would get laid frequently by virtue of her personality and smarts,

This is the only place where I disagree with R27's post. Her personality was beyond obnoxious, with all the maturity of a clingy, insecure 15-year old girl, while her smarts were always dubious.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 3112/02/2012

She was perfect as Charlotte and her character has aged the best.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 3212/02/2012

Is Kristin really gay?

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 3312/02/2012

Who honestly thought someone like her would change religions and marry someone like Evan Handler?

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 3412/02/2012

R34 I actually thought it was quite believable that Charlotte would fall for a guy like Harry. She needed someone different who could change her perspective on things and who else but a jew could turn her waspy ass around for the better. They actually looked really sweet together and supposedly according to the show it was some of the best sex Charlotte had ever had.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 3512/02/2012

R34: You do raise a valid point. I did not think that that "character" would EVER marry someone as ugly as he, but when she did the show moved beyond stereotypes into more "realness" -- just as Carrie was becoming even more ridiculous.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 3612/02/2012

SATC wasn't really considered that great a job when it started. It was on HBO which had hardly done many series. It was a job for has beens and never weres....Most actresses who still had hope for a big careers turned it down.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 3712/02/2012

because she can suck the fuel from a car engine through a small straw

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 3812/02/2012

My straight male friends liked her best. They thought Miranda was not that attractive, Carrie was too self centered and weird, and Samantha too slutty.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 3912/02/2012

I agree with [R15] and [R17]. I hated Kristen on Melrose, but the role of Charlotte worked for her. She wasn't phenomenal but she fit the character. She was the innocent waspy girl who believed in love. Matt LeBlanc did indeed become the best comic actor on Friends in the later years.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 4012/02/2012

It's too bad they didn't do an episode where peripheral cast members reacted to the main characters in the way that a normal person would.

That would have involved an hour of mocking Carrie, which would have been quite entertaining.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 4112/02/2012

Don't forget, some men's magazine (ESQUIRE? MAXIM?) polled its male readers at the height of SATC: which character do you want to fuck the most?

Charlotte won. By a mile.

Samantha came in next.

Miranda was a distant third.

Carrie came in LAST.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 4212/02/2012

Remember when Sex and City came out HBO shows were basically the equivalent of no budget cable access shows.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 4312/02/2012

I would love to see the call list of actresses who auditioned for 3 of the 4 leads (besides SJP, who was a given).

Sandra Bernhard loves to tell about turning down the Miranda role, but I understand that she merely read for the role. Not hers to turn down.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 4412/02/2012

Groups of friends have "weakest links" - someone who isn't as exciting, more reserved, less dynamic than the others. So, I thought Davis and the character were fine.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 4512/02/2012

How did SJP get to have SATC made for her?

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 4612/02/2012

Charlotte was the prettiest and most refined. She was exactly what a lot of guys were looking for in a wife after they got done fucking a lot of sluts.

Truth be told, Big would never have married Carrie in real life. She was a cheap, neurotic piece of ass who'd do anything he wanted. And she became an embarrassment over time. He would have stayed married to Natasha, had some kids and never looked back.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 4712/02/2012

[quote]How did SJP get to have SATC made for her?

She didn't. She was an actress hired for the role who then through her cuntiness and control issues pushed herself to the center, pushed Candace Bushnell out of the picture and never let anyone (especially the rest of the cast) forget....that the the show was an ensemble but she was first among the "equals." There were big reasons why Cattrall refused to due the film initially.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 4812/02/2012

I think it's so funny when straight men call women "slutty." Straight men complain that they want sex but then complain about women who give it to them.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 4912/02/2012

Plus, let's get real. Carrie was over 35 the second time she got back with Big, and looked it. Not exactly the fresh bloom of youth and fertility.

Speaking of, how did they ever manage the issue of children? Carrie really wanted children when she first dated Alexander, but was adamant about NO KIDS when the second movie was released. WTF?

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 5012/02/2012

Men like Charlotte. She is the most popular woman with straight men. That is the key to understanding her. She's old fashioned. She's preppy. She wants to make the man in her life happy. Hmm what a mystery, why could straight men possibly like her?

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 5112/02/2012

Charlotte was old-fashioned and didn't make straight men feel threatened in any way - traditionally "feminine."

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 5212/02/2012

To her credit, Charlotte was the traditional preppy girl looking for Mr. Right, but she embraced new experiences, loved art and artists, She could have been a humorless prig but wasn't, and often laughed at her mishaps. She couldn't stay with Dr. Mr. Right when he didn't share her values. She tried being a lesbian for a week! She explored Mr. Pussy. By the time she settled down with Harry, she had been transformed.

(And yes, that scene at the Jewish Singles party where he presents her with a ring always makes me cry a little bit. So sue me.)

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 5312/03/2012

Carrie didn't tend to be a high maintenance girlfriend. Particularly with Big, she was (for the most part) a kittenish doormat who was afraid to ask for what she wanted.

Carrie didn't view men as disposable (like Samantha), as antagonists (like Miranda) or as a means of achieving a certain lifestyle and social position (like Charlotte). It's weird that straight men always found her the most "threatening" of the four characters.

Sure, she was a piece of work, but it was always her girlfriends who ended up dealing with her bullshit.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 5512/03/2012

Carrie was awful.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 5612/03/2012

And here's the Charlotte/Harry reconciliaton scene.

Don't blame me if you get a little gooey watching it.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 5712/03/2012

r52 got lost on her way to ONTD.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 5812/03/2012

Here's a scene with Carrie that made me feel vindicated (because she's so crazy and awful to men)... and still sad for her.

The last time she ever sees Berger.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 5912/03/2012

And here's my fave Miranda scene (from a surprisingly compassionate episode where her mother dies).

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 6012/03/2012

Found this on IMDB:

During an interview, it was revealed that Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Cattrall loathed each other since the first season. The relationship became even more strained when Parker was made producer; their on screen friendship was so well done that fans had no idea. This is why whenever the four women appeared at events, Parker and Cattrall were opposite each other. Both women felt it was "unprofessional" to bash each other during the series' run.

I didn't realize they loathed each other. How delicious! I bet KC delayed signing on the the second movie to up her price and most of all to make SJP squirm.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 6112/03/2012

What the fuck is ONTD?

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 6212/03/2012

Kim was older and more experienced (even if Cynthia and SJP had worked as children) and thought of herself as a veteran stage actress. SJP bows to no one (ask Bette Midler and Kathy Najimy about their HOCUS POCUS experience with her). Nixon and especially Davis were mostly peacemakers, just happy to be there.

Poor Kim. I think she expected SATC would re-launch her film career. She's done Bway since, but not to any great effect.

SJP becoming producer meant she was enjoying mega-profits from the series (and syndication) while the others were merely salaried players. SJP, King, and Starr made fortunes off the show. Candace Bushnell and the 3 actresses did not.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 6312/03/2012

R62 One Needs To Die

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 6412/03/2012

I'd love to hear what went down between SJP, Midler and Najimy, R63.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 6512/03/2012

What was the source of the tension between SJP and Cattrall? Clashing personalities or did both pull the diva routine?

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 6612/03/2012

Read The Devils Candy. It features Catrell as a hard working, sane person in the middle of swirling insanity.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 6712/03/2012

i understood the feud was because Kim was doing all the heavy lifting as far as having a much more challenging role (lots of nudity for one thing) and she was paid far less than diva SJP.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 6812/03/2012

I don't blame Kim Catrell - she should have been paid equally to SJP.

And as the show become a major hit - they all should have been equally compensated.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 6912/03/2012

Yes, she's a lesbian and was bearding with Sorkin a few weeks ago. Why she does this, I don't know. She's been caught red-handed before at this nonsense.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 7012/03/2012

I always liked her best...I can relate to her character on the show. Yes...I know...I'm a big ol' mo'.

Anyway...I was just catching up on last weeks Craig Ferguson shows & I watched her appearance from 11/30.

Was she loaded? lit? She sounds like me after a couple of vodkas and a Xanax. Slurry and laughy.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 7112/04/2012

I had a thing for Kristen after her stint on Melrose Place, so I've always hoped she was gay.

Some signs point to yes, some signs point to no.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 7212/04/2012

R71 - Probably.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 7312/05/2012

Have any women been linked to Kristin?

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 7412/06/2012

re Cattrall, she was much better looking than SJP. On a show called SEX and the City, you should be paid for being the sexy one.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 7512/06/2012

Everyone looked better than SJP.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 7612/06/2012

Carrie was the most annoying.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 7712/06/2012

And the most pretentious. You write a sex column, lady.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 7812/06/2012

[quote]I don't know what high school you went to, but Kristin today looks better than most 20 year olds.

Really? She has a pair of Cankles that could fill out even one of Hilary's most forgiving pants suits.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 7912/06/2012

She's sturdy, but hot.

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 8012/07/2012

And of course, SJP never once got her tits out on the show, because of her shame of having inverted nipples! How can you be the star of a show called Sex and the City and never show your jugs??

by Charlotte York, sticking out her lower lipreply 8112/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.