Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Square Pegs (1982)

Where Sarah Jessica Parker got her start on TV, and also featuring Jami Gertz (quite a gifted child comic actor, as the clip will show) as the insufferably peppy preppie Muffy Tepperman, Tracy Nelson as the mean Valley Girl Jennifer di Nuccio, and the beautiful Merritt Butrick (RIP) as the New Wave space cadet Johnny Slash.

Here's a clip with Bill Murray as a substitute teacher.

by Anonymousreply 10207/12/2013

"Shoot, child, you think this place is crowded? You should have seen our living room when _The Jeffersons_ went to Hawaii. Those were the three worst Sundays of my life."

--LaDonna Fredericks

by Anonymousreply 112/02/2012

i loved Square Pegs. My friends and I would talk about the previous nights episode t school the next day.

We all felt a connection with the "Square Peg" characters .

by Anonymousreply 212/02/2012

Second set of clips with Bill Murray (in his prime) as the kids' substitute teacher.

I forgot how hateful laugh tracks used to be.

by Anonymousreply 312/02/2012

I remember loving the show when it was on, being really disappointed when it was canceled so soon... and really shocked at how badly it's aged and how painful it is to watch now.

by Anonymousreply 412/02/2012

This gefilte fish is from a jar! I hate that!

by Anonymousreply 512/02/2012

She was just a young foal then, not even on the racetrack.

by Anonymousreply 612/02/2012

I just thought of this yesterday OP, while watching Jami in "Undercover Christmas". She and SJP appear to be the only actors still working from this. (Although Tracy Nelson has been in the DL headlines recently.)

Gertz' husband owns an investment firm, so she doesn't really need to work ever again. I haven't seen her new sitcom, but I know the critics have been harsh.

by Anonymousreply 712/02/2012

You made me go see Olivia Newton-John! I HATE that chick!

by Anonymousreply 812/02/2012

I loved this show too. SJP and Jami had the most amazing hair. There's a video on YouTube of Jami and Sarah talking about their experiences working on SP, and Jami even recounts how Bill Murray took her for a drive around LA in his sports car or something. She also talks about how education-oriented SJP's mom was as opposed to her own mother.

by Anonymousreply 912/02/2012

It wasn't laugh out loud funny usually (although the writers, which included among them Andy Borowitz, wrote great lines sometimes especially for Muffy and LaDonna), and the use of Patty (SJP) always to provide pathos and sincerity always got pretty irritating. Still, I remembered when it aired it was the only thing at the time until John Hughes started making movies that showed anything that in any way approximated what life was actually like in high school. Before then, it was all sappy and out-of-date ABC After School Special stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1012/02/2012

totally different head

by Anonymousreply 1112/02/2012

Totally.

by Anonymousreply 1212/02/2012

I did the same thing with my friends at school (in 7th grade), R2. We would "compare notes" at our lockers and at lunch.

I really felt like a square peg (wore glasses, braces, was tall and gawky) and I so related to the pettiness of many cliques in the school. It was such a disappointment when the show was cancelled in its first season.

Years later, when "Freaks and Geeks" followed the same path, I was equally disappointed. One critic noted rather crassly, "People avoided freaks and geeks in school, so why would they want to watch them on TV?" Bastard.

by Anonymousreply 1312/02/2012

People, it behooves me to remind you that all proceeds from Friday's New Wave Dance-a-thon will go towards orthodonture for our class's adopted Guatemalan child! --Muffy

Like, why should I care about some poor kid in, like, Europe? --Jennifer

by Anonymousreply 1412/02/2012

The gifts for the Guatemalan child ("Rosita") that Weemawee H.S. "adopted" would get more and more elaborate as the season progressed. I think by the end of the show Muffy was asking for people to pony up so they could buy Rosita a cleaning lady's services for her shack in the slums.

by Anonymousreply 1512/02/2012

Who was the actor who played the hot Italian boy Vinny in the clip?

And what was the name of the actress who played SJP's bff with the braces? In the clip she looks very obviously padded under her clothes.

by Anonymousreply 1612/02/2012

Cocaine hit the writing staff of this sitcom hard. It was the reason behind the great CBS housecleaning of 1982, which included 'WKRP in Cincinnati'.

by Anonymousreply 1712/02/2012

[quote]Who was the actor who played the hot Italian boy Vinny in the clip?

Jon Caliri. He didn't do much film or TV after the mid 80s. He lives in Southern California now and breeds Wheaton terriers--he's still handsome, if silver-haired now.

[quote]And what was the name of the actress who played SJP's bff with the braces? In the clip she looks very obviously padded under her clothes.

Amy Linker. She left entertainment pretty soon after the show folded, and went on to be a French major at Wellesley. She's been a teacher in recent years.

She wasn't fat when they did the show and had to wear padding for the character. Also, she had to put on fake braces for the part.

I once met her when we were in college, and she talked about the show to me. She said that the writers were mostly from the SNL staff and were doing a LOT of coke, and that the execs at CBS were terrified it was going to spill down and affect the child actors and that they'd have a huge scandal on their hands. I think Jon Caliri was in his early 20s, but most of the rest of them were still in high school. Merritt Butrick had coke problems later, but I don't know if that originated from doing the show or predated it or came later.

by Anonymousreply 1812/02/2012

"There Ain't a Black Girl Alive Who Can Look at a Broom and Think About Halloween"

My mama, my mama, my mama rode the bus...

by Anonymousreply 1912/02/2012

By the way, Amy Linker is extremely pretty - probably better looking than any other cast member today.

by Anonymousreply 2012/02/2012

[quote]By the way, Amy Linker is extremely pretty - probably better looking than any other cast member today.

By which of course you mean: all of them except for Sarah Jessica Parker.

After all, I have a perfume that was named "Lovely" explicitly after me!

by Anonymousreply 2112/02/2012

Amy Linker is a bitch who now says how bad all show biz is. It's funny how the success don't mind, just the washed up losers or those without any talent that are critical (->Angus I mean you)

by Anonymousreply 2212/02/2012

Square Pegs DVD commentary

Tracy Nelson And Claudette Wells

by Anonymousreply 2312/02/2012

Square Pegs DVD Commentary

SJP

by Anonymousreply 2412/02/2012

Jami Gertz

by Anonymousreply 2512/02/2012

Amy Linker

by Anonymousreply 2612/02/2012

John Femia

by Anonymousreply 2712/02/2012

Good lord, how many times was SJP going to say, "I recall..."

by Anonymousreply 2812/02/2012

When I was younger I always thought Amy Linker was a fat Jennifer Connelly.

by Anonymousreply 2912/02/2012

Loved this show. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 3012/02/2012

R28, I KNOW! I had to stop, I couldn't take any more than a few minutes of that. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 3112/02/2012

I loved that Johnny Slash used tiny baby dolls to tie his rat-tail.

by Anonymousreply 3212/02/2012

When asked in class about Watergate, Tracy Nelson's character responded, "Wasn't that a mini-series or something?"

I loved Square Pegs.

by Anonymousreply 3312/02/2012

[quote]By the way, Amy Linker is extremely pretty - probably better looking than any other cast member today.

I think that Jami Gertz takes that title.

by Anonymousreply 3412/02/2012

Love this show. Amy Linker looks great. She should continue acting.

I can still quote lines from it 30 years after watching the show.

by Anonymousreply 3512/02/2012

Jami Gertz would later reprise her role of Muffy as a recurring character on Facts of Life as Blair's sorority sister.

by Anonymousreply 3612/02/2012

[quote] HAVE THE DVDS!!!!!!!!!!

Why have they cut scenes out?

btw Anne Beatts says SP was cancelled because of network politics, not ratings.

Anyone know the inside story?

by Anonymousreply 3812/02/2012

Amy Linker looks amazing, she must be pushing 50 by now but looks much younger. I believe she and Secretariat are still in touch with each other.

by Anonymousreply 3912/02/2012

It behooves me to remind you that the word "behooves" has not been used until this post.

by Anonymousreply 4012/02/2012

What's going on with Jami Gertz's hair? Are the long pieces extensions?

by Anonymousreply 4112/02/2012

I remember we were all so excited when this show started. I was a freshman in high school. By the third episode, we all talked about how much it sucked and quit watching it. Hugely disappointing show.

by Anonymousreply 4212/02/2012

[quote]Jami Gertz would later reprise her role of Muffy as a recurring character on Facts of Life as Blair's sorority sister.

It was actually a different character, named Boots St. Clair

by Anonymousreply 4312/02/2012

[quote]What's going on with Jami Gertz's hair? Are the long pieces extensions?

No, I think it was just chopped into that way--layered.

by Anonymousreply 4412/02/2012

Actually R43 Muffy was her nickname on Square Pegs.

When she went to Eastland she used her full name Boots St. Clair. It was much proper since she was in college, rather than let people know her High School nickname.

by Anonymousreply 4512/02/2012

Eastland was a high school, not a college.

by Anonymousreply 4612/02/2012

[quote]Actually [R43] Muffy was her nickname on Square Pegs. When she went to Eastland she used her full name Boots St. Clair. It was much proper since she was in college, rather than let people know her High School nickname.

LOL nice plot twist, but no. They were two totally different characters. On SP Jami was Muffy Tepperman, and on FOL she was Boots St. Clair. Jami once did an interview where she said she didn't know why they always cast her as an uppity prepster back then, but it was her forte for a while.

by Anonymousreply 4712/02/2012

One size does not fit all.

by Anonymousreply 4812/02/2012

I agree with R42--I was in high school and an out cast and excited for the show. The first couple of episodes were good, but then it went downhill fast. Even for TV, the world the show displayed was too unreal.

by Anonymousreply 4912/02/2012

I enjoyed the show and was bummed that it only had one season. It was more entertaining than Alice or One Day At A Time and was loads smarter than shit like Three's Company or Happy Days.

by Anonymousreply 5012/02/2012

Amy Linker--who's her GF?

by Anonymousreply 5112/02/2012

All these posts and not one mention of the theme song which was performed the New Wave band The Waitresses who had minor success with the song "I Know What Boys Like"?

by Anonymousreply 5212/02/2012

It was funny - and yes R52 I remember the Waitresses theme for the show - they also do Christmas Wrapping, my favorite Christmas song.

I thought Square Pegs was, like Molly Dodd, a show that I and ONLY I had ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 5312/02/2012

Shame about the laugh track.

by Anonymousreply 5412/02/2012

Mad Magazine had a hilarious parody of "Square Pegs" in one of it's 1983 issues. It blasted the show for having the characters blurt out topical references without context in order to be "hip" to the young crowd. Very true.

by Anonymousreply 5512/02/2012

Magazine Interview with Devo Bassist Reveals Cocaine Hijinks on the Square Pegs Set

[quote]“The girls were out of control—they were doing drugs and they were making out and they were coming on to us in a big way… They might have been 15 or 16, but in their heads they were already 40. I don’t think there was a virgin on the set, except maybe a couple of the guys.”

by Anonymousreply 5612/02/2012

I generally dislike Christmas music, but I love Christmas Wrapping and love hearing it every year - it still sounds great all these many years later.

Patty Donahue, the lead singer of the Waitresses, died a very untimely death from cancer back in the 90s.

Merritt Buttrick died of AIDS in the late 80s. I don't think he was even 30 years old.

I went to high school with girls who were EXACTLY like Muffy, and I still shudder at the memory.

by Anonymousreply 5712/03/2012

[quote]Merritt Buttrick died of AIDS in the late 80s. I don't think he was even 30 years old.

Loved him in The Wrath of Kahn.

And it was bitter-sweet to see him in one of his final performances, in Star Trek: The Next Generation, as an alien dying of an AIDS-like incurable disease.

by Anonymousreply 5812/03/2012

Merritt was good in the small role he had in "Fright Night 2"

by Anonymousreply 5912/03/2012

Listen to Jamie on the DVDs, she clearly says Merritt was drugged out and couldn't even get to the set most of time and that he lived in his own filth.

Not a pretty picture.

by Anonymousreply 6012/04/2012

I almost wish I hadn't watched the DVDs. The show was better in my memory, or maybe I was easier to please when I was 10 or 11. Still, fun to re-watch and there was some good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 6112/04/2012

[quote]she clearly says Merritt was drugged out and couldn't even get to the set most of time and that he lived in his own filth.

She said that? What a bitch. She didn't have to defame his memory.

I hate that

by Anonymousreply 6212/04/2012

I thought the earlier episodes were more awkward and hit their stride in the second half of the season. Though Jennifer and LaDonna were just awful in the final "Geek Week" episode.

And there's an episode that could be a "Sex and the City" precursor where SJP's character is typing up a story and narrating the episode.

by Anonymousreply 6312/04/2012

Who would ever want to sleepover at a teacher's house?

Although Lauren and Patty in their "elegant" nightgowns was funny.

"Great, now there's a popular side of the couch."

by Anonymousreply 6412/04/2012

Jon Caliri (Vinny) doing his Weemawee Indian dance shirtgless made me wonder if he'd been a stripper.

by Anonymousreply 6512/04/2012

I'm surprised no other posters mentioned that the guy who played Marshall turned out GORGEOUS.

by Anonymousreply 6612/04/2012

I didn't hear Jami Gertz say anything negative about Merritt, she just said he would oversleep and people would have to go to his apt. and wake him up.

by Anonymousreply 6712/04/2012

A fun fact: Jami Gertz was originally cast as Monica Geller when "Friends" was pitched to NBC.

by Anonymousreply 6812/04/2012

Based on those DVD commentaries, Tracy Nelson seems like she'd be fun to be around, if she'd spill some of the vast amount of secrets/info you know she has.

by Anonymousreply 6912/04/2012

Jami is a lez

by Anonymousreply 7012/04/2012

Jami is a lez

by Anonymousreply 7112/04/2012

I always thought Amy was much prettier than Jamie, even back in the day. I see it still holds true.

by Anonymousreply 7212/04/2012

The only other thing I remember Amy Linker in was some HBO teen movie about a girl who falls in love with a guy whose mom drunkenly killed her sister in a car accident. It sounds more complicated than it was.

SJP was in "Footloose" the year after Pegs.

by Anonymousreply 7312/04/2012

R60, it behooves me to say, you really took liberty with Jami's comments.

by Anonymousreply 7512/04/2012

"It behooves me to say this since I saw what your people went through in Roots but your sense of style is not appropriate for suburban living."

by Anonymousreply 7606/08/2013

Like, gross me out the door.

by Anonymousreply 7706/08/2013

Totally different head...totally.

by Anonymousreply 7806/08/2013

Meritt Butrick was such a sweety. So tragic that he died so young.

by Anonymousreply 7906/08/2013

We were going to share our joy at Ye Old Renasiance Country Club but since it is a new wave gathering Rabbi Kaplan was deeply concerned about the likelhood of slam dancing

by Anonymousreply 8006/15/2013

I remember liking this show - and that it was Monday nights!

by Anonymousreply 8106/15/2013

[quote] I thought Square Pegs was, like Molly Dodd, a show that I and ONLY I had ever seen.

That makes two of us watching those shows....

by Anonymousreply 8206/15/2013

Molly Dodd was a very different show.

by Anonymousreply 8306/16/2013

Help is my favorite word ...next to people!!

by Anonymousreply 8406/16/2013

Through my unrelentless (sic) endeavors Guatemala has one small child with cable television in her bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 8506/16/2013

Give me back the money! Our Guatemalan child could use a second pair of coo-lots!

by Anonymousreply 8606/16/2013

[quote]Tracy Nelson And Claudette Wells

I'm surprised there's been no comment about how much Claudette Wells looks and sounds like Michelle Obama.

by Anonymousreply 8706/16/2013

Weird. Tracy Nelson has some facial and vocal similarities to Sara Michelle Gellar.

by Anonymousreply 8806/16/2013

[quote]Although Lauren and Patty in their "elegant" nightgowns was funny.

"Like, who invited the Mandrell Sisters?"

by Anonymousreply 8906/16/2013

Ill go with, but I won't wipe.

by Anonymousreply 9006/16/2013

Awww, Merrit. Such a crush.

by Anonymousreply 9106/16/2013

Amy Linker comes off as sort of an obnoxious dud. She also sounds like she's got some dirt on SJP.

by Anonymousreply 9206/16/2013

R28

[quote]Good lord, how many times was SJP going to say, "I recall..."

um. um. um. um.

by Anonymousreply 9306/16/2013

Sort of interesting that Sara Jessica Parker doesn't talk about any of her interaction with other castmates like th rest of them did in their interviews. She just sits there and talks about herself and what she thinks the show meant.

by Anonymousreply 9406/16/2013

Neigh! Whinny!

by Anonymousreply 9506/16/2013

Who had the best hair on the show, Jami Gertz or SJP? They both had such gorgeous heads of long, thick hair.

by Anonymousreply 9606/16/2013

Jami had better hair.

by Anonymousreply 9706/17/2013

Because it was straighter, R97?

by Anonymousreply 9806/17/2013

No, R98 - because it was nicer.

by Anonymousreply 9906/17/2013

Jami's hair was only better until SJP discovered Mane & Tail Shampoo.

by Anonymousreply 10006/17/2013

Thanks DL! Watching the DVDs right now.

2nd episode...the school play.

I was 6 years old when SPs premiered and remember being obsessed with it. I would always talk about it at school and the other kids were jealous because they had to be in bed at 8pm.

I was also obsessed with the Harper Valley PTA sitcom on around the same time.

by Anonymousreply 10106/17/2013

"If your glasses really bother you that much why not draw attention away from them by wearing interesting sinch belts?"

by Anonymousreply 10207/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.