Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Forget Crawford and Davis..

Sylvia Sidney could out-act both of them. Her performances have aged well because she's a much more naturalistic actor. Strange that a career that spanned 70 years (without scandal or tell-all bios from disgruntled children) is almost all but forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 4301/15/2014

Blasphemer! 'Without scandal or tell-all bios,' Darling, what are you saying? Have you lost your Boy-lovin' mind? THIS is why Sylvia fell off the radar. Unless, of course, you're referring to "The Women..."

by Anonymousreply 112/02/2012

SS was a great actress, though I don't know that I would say she could outact BD at her best. Crawford, yes, they were not in the same league. Sidney managed to keep her dignity and craft longer than Davis--she was still moving in "An Early Frost" and funny in "Beetlejuice."

by Anonymousreply 212/02/2012

Well, i'll tell you why she is forgotten. She didn't date, fight, or sleep with enough people, i mean popular, famous people.

by Anonymousreply 312/02/2012

Mama Carlson! IMDB says she only did one episode of WKRP whereas I recall her having been in several. Love her!!!

by Anonymousreply 412/02/2012

However, i must say that this is not of course the right way of evaluation. To be forgotten, it doesn't mean that you hadn't been good enough or exquisite enough. It's just that time is relentless. It's unavoidable some names to be in the shadow and some facts to be forgotten There is not room for all names and actions to be in the spotlight.

Nonetheless, if you care enough and seek about something or someone, you will find out more than the rest.

by Anonymousreply 512/02/2012

[quote]Fifty years after the fact, (Budd) Schulberg still writes with tremendous bitterness of his father's affair with Sylvia Sidney, an affair that he says caused irreparable damage to his parents' marriage. He remembers, as a teen-ager, going to Miss Sidney's house and demanding that his father come home. He also remembers watching Miss Sidney in the movie version of Theodore Dreiser's 'An American Tragedy' and thoroughly savoring the scene in which she drowns.

by Anonymousreply 612/02/2012

Oh My...

by Anonymousreply 712/02/2012

I thought she was heartbreaking in Dead End. Managed to have a nice career later in life (an oscar nom for Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams).

by Anonymousreply 812/02/2012

She HATED Tatum O'Neal and told everyone who would listen when the two vied for an Oscar in 1972.

by Anonymousreply 912/02/2012

I love Sylvia Sidney, too, but I'm not sure if there's a single film that she appeared in that is admired as a classic today, in spite of her great performances in them.

Well, maybe Dead End but that seems to be more fondly remembered for the advent of The Dead End Kids.

Is An American Tragedy available on DVD or ever seen on TCM? The male lead in that version, Phillips Holmes, who plays the Monty Clift role, was quite the looker and apparently gay acording to some sources.

by Anonymousreply 1012/02/2012

r4, she was replaced by an actress who very strongly resembled her. I remember being happy to see SS in the show, but was then surprised to see how quickly she was gone.

by Anonymousreply 1112/02/2012

'Sabotage' and 'Fury' are her most famous movies. She was the leading lady in them, the first was directed by Sir Alfred Hitchcock and the second one by prodigious Fritz Lang.

by Anonymousreply 1212/04/2012

Bitch on wheels apparently, at least when she'd been reduced to "touring".

by Anonymousreply 1312/04/2012

What might you mean Desiree? A penny for your thoughts...

by Anonymousreply 1412/04/2012

Here's one such quote:

[quote] I too saw Sylvia Sidney in Auntie Mame at the old Lambervtille Music Circus. Apparently, she was a real bitch all the way down and every year thereafter, at the end of each season, the company awarded a "Sylvia Sidney" award for the person who was most difficult to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 1512/04/2012

She was pretty...

by Anonymousreply 1612/04/2012

[quote]Mama Carlson! IMDB says she only did one episode of WKRP whereas I recall her having been in several. Love her!!!

Sylvia Sidney played Mamma Carlson in one episode. After that, the role was played by Carol Bruce who was taller and younger and had blond hair. Sidney was white-haired by the time she played that part.

by Anonymousreply 1712/04/2012

People still watch [italic]Beetlejuice[/italic], though it might not count as a classic.

by Anonymousreply 1812/04/2012

She was a good actress but she was went out of her way to create trouble. I knew someone who thought of her as a friend. He was a working actor involved with a banker. She seemed to become friends with both of them, and she poisoned the banker's mind so they broke up. After that, she dropped the banker.

by Anonymousreply 1912/04/2012

R16 She looked like a younger Bette Davis in this photo. Maybe they were sisters or cousins and they didn't know that.

by Anonymousreply 2012/04/2012

Maybe R20. But Bette was a total WASP and Sylvia was of Eastern European Jewish extraction. Her original surname was Kosow.

by Anonymousreply 2112/04/2012

I'll always love her smoking through the trach hole in her neck in Beetlejuice!!!!!!!

She's divine!

by Anonymousreply 2212/04/2012

She was Bennett Cerf's first wife but they divorced because he was jealous of her fame.

by Anonymousreply 2312/04/2012

I started the "Hidden Gems" thread with her movie "Street Scene". She was terrific in a terrific movie.

Whole movie at link.

by Anonymousreply 2412/04/2012

Hey, she made seven appearances on "Fantasy Island." If that's not a classic, I don't know what is!

by Anonymousreply 2512/04/2012

I worked with her. She was a perfectionist.Though known for her serious roles, she was a remarkable at comedy as well.

by Anonymousreply 2602/13/2013

R26 was she a pleasant person?

by Anonymousreply 2702/13/2013

She smoked like a motherfucking freight train.

by Anonymousreply 2802/13/2013

Bette smoked a lot too. One of their similarities i guess.

by Anonymousreply 2902/13/2013

Strange - I recently watched her in "Snowbeast" and thought as I watched, "Gawd, where do I know her from!" I then went to her IMDB page.

by Anonymousreply 3002/13/2013

She was wondeful to work with. I was very young and she was always good to me.I loved watching her from the wings when I wasn't on stage. Her acting was so honest and natural, even in roles like Auntie Mame and Mrs. Hardcastle. I probably would not say she was overly pleasant, but not unpleaseant either.

by Anonymousreply 3102/13/2013

Sylvia Sidney was a very touching actress. She could be raw and dignified at the same time. Watch her in Street Scene and, of course, Dead End. I can't think of anyone like her, though she bears certain similarities -- to me, at least -- with Margaret Sullavan.

It's weird to me that people lump Bette Davis, one of the most original, immediate, and powerful actresses, with Joan Crawford, who, after, say, Grand Hotel or Rain, never delivered another fresh, interesting performance. It's hard to imagine two actresses so different in their approach and effect. They both played a number of bitches, but are any of Crawford's distinctive and enjoyable, except as camp? She's certainly never moving. Crystal, for instance, is one of the duller characters in The Women, though I love how she delivers the line "If you throw a lamp chop in the oven, what's to stop it from getting done?" I guess she had her moments, but not many.

by Anonymousreply 3202/13/2013

On her arrival in Pasadena after a three-month vacation on the East Coast, Sylvia Sidney is greeted by fans. April, 1937

by Anonymousreply 3302/20/2013

Sylvia Sydney was really pretty.

by Anonymousreply 3402/20/2013

Please, OP.

I loved Sylvia Sidney, but unless you meant Broderick Crawford and Joan Davis, give it up.

by Anonymousreply 3502/20/2013

Sylvia Sidney looks like Gene Tierney here. Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 3603/13/2013

Beautiful Sylvia

by Anonymousreply 3705/15/2013

I love "Merrily We Go To Hell" (released as "Merrily We Go To ----"). In the crisp DVD print, Sylvia Sidney and Fredric March come across as two of the screen's great beauties.

by Anonymousreply 3805/15/2013

I love "Merrily We Go To Hell" (released as "Merrily We Go To ----"). In the crisp DVD print, Sylvia Sidney and Fredric March come across as two of the screen's great beauties.

by Anonymousreply 3905/15/2013

R39 i would love to see them together. I haven't yet, but i'm sure they were both riveting in a motion picture.

by Anonymousreply 4005/15/2013

Gene Raymond & Sylvia Sidney on the set of "Behold My Wife"

by Anonymousreply 4201/15/2014

I crack up every time I watch "Beetlejuice", because of the scene she did, where's she's smoking a cigarette, and the smoke comes out of the slash in her throat...

by Anonymousreply 4301/15/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!