Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did Jon Peters ever love Barbra?

Did he ever find her attractive or was it just the money and fame?

by L A Warrenreply 4412/04/2012

It was her hair.

He longed to crimp it. And then, when he did, it was over.

by L A Warrenreply 112/02/2012

He was a user. The fucker. It's not so much that Bab's is not beautiful (just LOOK at that schnozz) but that Jon was out for every advantage.

by L A Warrenreply 212/02/2012

So a hair dresser, in Hollywood, and to Barbra no less, was straight??

by L A Warrenreply 312/02/2012

Barbra who?

by L A Warrenreply 412/02/2012

Jon was a gorgeous homosexual who was said to be horse-hung and thus used the choriso to hook Babs, who is a noted sizemologist.

Are there nude photos of Jon?

by L A Warrenreply 512/02/2012

It was the perm that did them in. She just had to give in to the times :(

by L A Warrenreply 612/02/2012

She worked for it. She is legendarily needy. He had to tell her over and over and over again how beautiful she was. Ack.

by L A Warrenreply 712/02/2012

It was the POW-AH.

by L A Warrenreply 812/02/2012

I remember an interview back in those days where she said she loved being subjugated by him. I was a young teenager and had to look up what "subjugated" meant. I lost respect for her right there and never took her seriously again.

by L A Warrenreply 912/02/2012

Suppose to have a big cock. Married to Lesley Ann Warren before he took up with Streisand. Wasn't Warren Beatty's character in SHAMPOO based on him?

by L A Warrenreply 1012/02/2012

I assume he's ambitiosexual.

Ambitiosexual: Sexually attracted to people who can help your career.

by L A Warrenreply 1112/03/2012

Jewish women are never truly loved by anyone.

by L A Warrenreply 1212/03/2012

The movie SHAMPOO is about Peters. Notice that Julie Christie even has Barbra's hairstyle.

by L A Warrenreply 1312/04/2012

I thought Shampoo (which is hysterical and moving at the same time) was based on Jay Sebring? Isn't Jon Peters the one who was sued by his male assistant for sexual harassment?

by L A Warrenreply 1412/04/2012

Of course it was just the money and the fame. Everyone knows that men can't be attracted to women without perfect noses.

by L A Warrenreply 1512/04/2012

He was Barbra's protection against Ray Stark, who Peters said tried to rape her. It was in Peters' book, which he was shopping around a couple of years ago. Jon alleges that Stark tried to force himself on Barbra and rape her.

by L A Warrenreply 1612/04/2012

[quote]Jon was a gorgeous

He is as 'gorgeous' as Barbra.

by L A Warrenreply 1712/04/2012

Did he give her the perm? If so, shame on him. When Barbra was preparing for "A Star is Born," there is an interview (somewhere on YouTube) from 1975 where she talks about the upcoming film and her hair is still straight and long and beautiful. The perm just killed it.

What was the reaction to her perm at the time? And she had it for years after.

by L A Warrenreply 1812/04/2012

That perm turned me off to Babs through its entirety. It sort of changed her--made her less soulful, when actually she probably thought it made her more--as in an afro.

Many whites gave themselves afros thinking it made them 'hip.'

It was like her fucked up her hair on purpose, as a joke.

by L A Warrenreply 1912/04/2012

What was the deal with those truly awful 70s white-people-with-afros perms? I would love to know the mindset. Vicki Lawrence sported one for a while, and so Dad and Greg Brady.

by L A Warrenreply 2012/04/2012

It did Barbra no favors. She did look attractive for "Guilty" but the longer hair made her more beautiful. When she finally gave up the perm, around the time of "The Broadway Album," it felt like a long time coming. The perm also was during her worst rock/pop era, bookended by "Emotion."

by L A Warrenreply 2112/04/2012

[quote]He was Barbra's protection against Ray Stark, who Peters said tried to rape her. It was in Peters' book, which he was shopping around a couple of years ago. Jon alleges that Stark tried to force himself on Barbra and rape her.

Your chronology is a bit off. Stark used the casting couch on Streisand over Funny Girl, long before she met Peters.

by L A Warrenreply 2212/04/2012

Jon Peters is considered a total sleaze even by Hollywood standards, which boggles the mind when you think about it.

by L A Warrenreply 2312/04/2012

Yeah, but Streisand was under contract to Stark and she was very unhappy that she had to make "Funny Lady."

by L A Warrenreply 2412/04/2012

Jon once picked up Barry Diller at a gay after-party for the film "Endless Love" and slammed him against a wall. The crowd applauded him.

by L A Warrenreply 2512/04/2012

I can't picture Babra having to have done sexually humiliating acts to get ahead, but one never knows.

She seems so dominant.

by L A Warrenreply 2612/04/2012

Jon Peters 1977

by L A Warrenreply 2712/04/2012

Jon Peters, c. 1987

by L A Warrenreply 2812/04/2012

More recently.

by L A Warrenreply 2912/04/2012

Jon was sued by his male assistant for groping him and stroking himself in front of him. Maybe he's a late in life gay or was closeted during his pussyhound years.

by L A Warrenreply 3012/04/2012

And now...

by L A Warrenreply 3112/04/2012

He can't read. Literally. His assistants have to read all of his scripts to him. Kevin Smith has talked openly about this and other stuff during his college appearances (peters hired smith to write a screenplay for a Superman reboot back in the late 90s).

by L A Warrenreply 3212/04/2012

I could not stand that jewfrow on her. I am still trying to get over it decades later.

I dont know why, but it was the thing back then for women to get the kinky perm. No one really liked it, but the women who did it thought they were being cool like dying their hair red.

But even back then, I always though it looked nasty. On guys too (that includes you Mr. Brady)

I like my brady's like this

by L A Warrenreply 3312/04/2012

Yuck. He was never close to "gorgeous".

by L A Warrenreply 3412/04/2012

He looks fat in R27 photo.

by L A Warrenreply 3512/04/2012

Was Babs still with Jon when she did Yentl and The Broadway Album?

by L A Warrenreply 3612/04/2012

Barbra locked herself in her hotel bathroom before the London premiere of Funny Lady. The Queen and Prince Charles were there, but Barbra was so upset with Ray Stark that she refused to go. Stark called their hotel suite several times asking Jon where she was. Jon told him that she doesn't want to go and has locked herself in the bathroom and won't come out. Stark told Jon that the entire Royal Family was going to be there and he better find a way to get her out of that bathroom and to the premiere. Barbra was sobbing and screaming from the bathroom, "TELL HIM THAT I'M NOT GOING!!!"

by L A Warrenreply 3712/04/2012

[quote]I can't picture Babra having to have done sexually humiliating acts to get ahead, but one never knows. She seems so dominant.

Dominant bossy types are often the people who get the most off on being masochists in the bedroom.

They explored that this season on BOARDWALK EMPIRE with the Gyp Rossetti character: people who need to always be in control and dominate in real life have the fantasy of relinquishing all control and being bossed around and humiliated, but only in extremely safe(9and controlled!) sexual circumstances.

by L A Warrenreply 3812/04/2012

#32 Not that Peters is not a tool but Hollywood execs rarely read scripts. They pay people to read them and give them coverage. Not only does every writer in Hollywood know this every bus boy knows this. Kevin Smith is just embellishing tale.

by L A Warrenreply 3912/04/2012

Jesus. Jon Peters was/is a little out of shape guy with average cock.

"I remember an interview back in those days where she said she loved being subjugated by him. I was a young teenager and had to look up what "subjugated" meant. I lost respect for her right there and never took her seriously again."

Actually, Barbra said that about a nice looking married man she was seeing right BEFORE Peters named Sam Grossman. Rona Barrett even speculated that Jon Peters was a "screen" used to throw off everyone because she was seeing the married Grossman. Sue Mengers wrote about Streisand & Grossman messing up her wedding by making themselves the stars of it. Though I agree that saying she liked being "subjugated by him" made her sound like an idiot.

by L A Warrenreply 4012/04/2012

The VF article at link is different from the one posted above.

R39 - Smith is a jerk but I don't think he was embellishing. Peters had long been known in the industry for being illiterate. He managed to disguise it for years when he was a very successful hairdresser to the stars and later when he went on to be a successful producer. By this point it became obvious. I guess he had too much pride to hire someone to teach him. It's mind-boggling he got so far when you think of it.

by L A Warrenreply 4112/04/2012

#41 Thanks for clearing that up.

by L A Warrenreply 4212/04/2012

Didn't he produce both the "Butterfly" and "Lazy Afternoon" albums?

One of them (I think "Butterfly") is supposed to be awful but it wins by that awesomely bad back cover image of Barbra's hair being lifted up by butterflies.

by L A Warrenreply 4312/04/2012

Jon loved Barbra, he truly did.

by L A Warrenreply 4412/04/2012
Need more help? Click Here.