Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Erasure: Why no actively expressed love for them on the DL?

They did what they wanted and didn't hide that they were BOYS singing about loving BOYS, and they were good singers and musicians and all of that, good good, why not more love shown them here?

by Anonymousreply 3712/02/2012

Only one of the duo, Andy Bell, is a boy who loves boys, OP. Vince Clarke is straight.

On another note, no pun intended, I have no idea why I know that, or how I just pulled both men's name out of ass.

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2012

Their output as of late has been lacklustre at best. To be honest, Andy Bell's two solo albums have been better and sounded more contemporary than any Erasure album in recent memory.

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2012

How about a little respect?

Their fierce version of the song with the Harvey Milk kids and others (Musto!) never fails to bring my mood up and a tear to my eye at the same time. Reminds me how far we've come. Plug in the earbuds and crank it.

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2012

That's what I'm talking about, R3! They did beautiful things like that song that will ALWAYS be good, but they are passed over, not considered the classics they deserve to be. "A Little Respect" is timeless! I'm not a rabid fan of all their stuff, but they deserve a little more acclaim for some of what they accomplished many people like what they did and have a song of theirs they can point to as bringing back a poignant memory of a time...yet they are almost never mentioned. They don't get the credit they deserve, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 412/01/2012

I love dance music and synth-pop, but I don't like the singer's voice. Being gay is no excuse for an annoying, shrill falsetto, someone needs to tell Jimmy Somerville that too.

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2012

They were always viewed as the poor man's Pet Shop Boys.

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2012

I've heard of them but I'm not real familiar with their music,What are some of their more popular songs?

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2012

A strictly British thing.

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2012

I loved "Blue Savannah" and "Brother and Sister"

When I was young I would scream blue murder Till I had my own way...

Much preferred them to PSB

by Anonymousreply 912/01/2012

After Andy Bell came out as a "bug chaser", no one really thought he was terribly admirable.

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2012

I really enjoyed their first 5 or so CDs. And I saw them in concert in the early 1990s and they put on a fun show that had the audience singing along to a number of the songs.

Unfortunately, most of their subsequent music became repetative, although you could still find a good song here and there (like "Take Me Back" and "Breathe").

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2012

I think the album "Nightbird" is a gem. At best, they were/are a singles band. A good greatest hits comp is really all you need. Try "Total Pop" to get your fix.

by Anonymousreply 1212/01/2012

Andy Bell seems terribly humorless and high maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 1312/02/2012

The fact that OP writes in the past tense answers the question.

by Anonymousreply 1412/02/2012

I couldn't stand them back then. They were the poor man's Pet Shop Boys, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Jimmy Sommerville, and Marc Almond. I also didn't get their camp appeal (to me it was neither intentionally or unintentionally funny) and I loathed them even more for their Abba-esque EP which you couldn't avoid since it played on every fucking Euro Pop radio station and on MTV Europe.

I remember me and my friends made fun of the lyrics for Always that go like 'Open your eyes / I see your eyes are open'.

The only song I liked was Run to the Sun which has a nice techno beat.

by Anonymousreply 1512/02/2012

They were better as Yazoo with Alison Moyet.

Erasure was always going to be second place. Bell admitted trying to sing like Moyet and he does a bad job of it.

by Anonymousreply 1612/02/2012

Love Erasure but agree their last few albums have been pretty forgettable. Couldn't get into Andy's solo stuff much either. They may indeed be a singles band but their early albums were solid pop classics - even the non-singles could have been hits.

They put on a great live show if you ever want a fun night out.

by Anonymousreply 1712/02/2012

They had a good tun. The Gay market treated them better than the straight market ever would have, so Andy coming out was the right thing to do.

No success in the USA, well....... the USA loves Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift, so do you really want that title? It is not worth much other than for money.

by Anonymousreply 1812/02/2012

There's also the fact that he said he deliberately got HIV. That's going to affect how people perceive you, particularly in a community struggling to either stay negative or fight the disease and stay healthy.

by Anonymousreply 1912/02/2012

I'm not a huge fan but I enjoy them. Here's a song I could listen to on repeat for hours: "I Love Saturday." Is this considered a greatest hit?

by Anonymousreply 2012/02/2012

I bet a lot of gays in DL love Erasure's song 'I Love to Hate You'

It fits. LOL

by Anonymousreply 2112/02/2012

A little bit of Erasure goes a long way. My biggest problem with them have been Andy Bell's lyrics which always seemed like something taken from a 16-year old girl's diary. They did manage to put out some very enjoyable singles, however, and (an unpopular opinion warning!) their "Erasure" album which was surprisingly dark and synth-proggy, with Diamanda Galas appearing on a couple of tracks, showed how good they could be if they were willing to diverge from their usual formula.

by Anonymousreply 2212/02/2012

[quote]No success in the USA, well....... the USA loves Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift, so do you really want that title? It is not worth much other than for money.

Erasure was never huge in the U.S., but they certainly had some success here. Chains of Love, A Little Respect and Always were all top 20 hits. The Innocents went platinum and Pop went gold.

I thought they peaked with Wild, although I agree with R22 that Erasure is worth hearing. They started to really go downhill with Loveboat.

by Anonymousreply 2312/02/2012

R7. Some of their hit songs are Always, Chains of Love, A Little Respect.

by Anonymousreply 2412/02/2012

"Vince Clarke is straight."

After starting two groups that were drenched in gayness (and a third duo with Alison Moyet that only the gays remember).

Sorta 'gay-4-pay', no?

by Anonymousreply 2512/02/2012

It wasn't one of their biggest hits but "Star" is my favourite.

by Anonymousreply 2612/02/2012

Also love "In My Arms" with that gospel style chorus.

by Anonymousreply 2712/02/2012

There was recently a bizarre flash game featuring a robot unicorn that had one of their songs as it's theme but I can't remember the name of the game and I don't think I ever heard what the song title was.

by Anonymousreply 2812/02/2012

I've been an Erasure fan since Day One. It's just weird, gorgeous electro pop.

No, they were never as cool as the Pet Shop Boys. But they had a nerdy, misfit, gay, fantasy-like weirdness about them that appealed to me.

Their early hits are classics, yes. But I actually really like their recent albums. They've matured and evolved and the last three in particular are excellent. The only album I didn't really like was Loveboat. Every other album before that and since then has some brilliant moments.

Andy's solo albums are just OK. They're a bit too "gay danceclub" for me.

Andy's voice is great and appropriate for the style of music they do. In the early days he was trying to sound like Alison Moyet, but he's settled down and developed his own style since then.

I follow both Andy and Vince on Twitter. And if that's anything to go by, Vince is intelligent, literate, witty, dry, and funny. And Andy is kind of ... dumb. But the two seem to get along well and are supportive of each others non-Erasure efforts. The fact that Erasure still exists as an active, working band says a lot about their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 2912/02/2012

Did they drug Diamanda Galas to get her on one of their cheap little albums? Jesus, what a couple of dullards. Andy Bell wailing in his rubber pants on TV like a retarded baby as if he was Lady Diana's gay fetus, just no.

by Anonymousreply 3012/02/2012

Erasure has worked with a veritable who's who of freaky women. Diamanda Galas, Lene Lovich, kd lang, Cyndi Lauper, Claudia Brucken, ...

by Anonymousreply 3112/02/2012

Oh, please. You bitches, like me, danced around weeping to HIDEAWAY. They aren't the best band ever but they were fierce back then

by Anonymousreply 3212/02/2012

by Anonymousreply 3312/02/2012

"Chains of Love" will forever be the SHIT.

by Anonymousreply 3412/02/2012

"On the Road to Nashville" is one of my favorite albums; they do some cool stuff with Oh l'Amour, Victim of Love, Sometimes, Chains of Love, and Blue Savannah.

by Anonymousreply 3512/02/2012

They managed to do a lot of cool b-sides, some of which were much better than the a's, as well as some awesome remixes.

by Anonymousreply 3612/02/2012

R16 I love you!

by Anonymousreply 3712/02/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!