Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

It is difficult not to say "fuck you" to the salvation army bell ringers.

!

by Anonymousreply 28512/08/2012

I just present my hole to them, OP.

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2012

Two wrongs don't make a right, OP. Just say nothing & keep walking.

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2012

R2...two wrongs? Oh yes, saying "fuck you" to homophobes is a "wrong." You're a moron.

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2012

I wouldn't let it bother you OP, you have the option of completely ignoring them and shutting them out, I know I do but then there is very little about xmas hype I am willing to buy into--too much like Pavlov's Dogs.

by Anonymousreply 412/01/2012

Have you thought about grabbing their kettles and smashing them to the ground?

Don't hurt the bell ringers as that would be assault, but you can grab those kettles and smash them to show them you mean business!

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2012

Some of them are probably unaware about the policies and think they're doing a good thing. Yes, I realize some are probably homophobes; however, I would love to think that most are decent, uninformed folks.

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2012

I say fuck you to them by walking by them as if they didn't exist. It's rude but I don't feel any guilt, knowing how evil the organization is. I'm also planning on going to stores late-night until after New Years, to avoid them altogether.

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2012

Are the bell-ringers paid, or volunteers?

I wouldn't feel right telling off some poor schlub who needs a few bucks, but a volunteer would be fair game.

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2012

I saw some guy standing outside of a supermarket ringing the bell. Honestly, I think he worked for the supermarket and he was probably put in charge for it.

by Anonymousreply 912/01/2012

I try not to make eye contact while ignoring their pleas for spare change. Fuck those homophobes.

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2012

I do make appoint of explaining why I won't contribute. Polite, quick, to the point and then I wish them a Merry Christmas.

Violence or nasty doesn't get us anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2012

BTW WHET Anita Ward?

by Anonymousreply 1212/01/2012

You will never win them over to our side by doing that. They will feel victimized by your behavior and they will channel that emotion into feeling justified about their current position. Their gut response will overpower their reason, just as your emotion will overpower your sense of reason if you vent on them.

Trust me on this. I am a natural venter and it's gotten me into all sorts of trouble, some of which wasn't worth it.

by Anonymousreply 1312/01/2012

Just walk on by...

by Anonymousreply 1412/01/2012

I just walk by as though they're not there. They represent a bigoted organization. Why would I want to trouble my beautiful mind with that?

by Anonymousreply 1512/01/2012

"Violence or nasty doesn't get us anywhere."

Right. Act Up accomplished nothing. Neither did the anti-war protests during Vietnam, riots against racism and class oppression, etc. Only quiet 'ignoring' of oppression really teaches bigots a lesson!

by Anonymousreply 1712/01/2012

Very seriously doubt that most of the bell-ringers know much of their anti-gay policies (also doubt that most would care if they did know, but that's a separate matter). They're anti-gay, but it's mostly incidental to their main purpose. In other words, they're not Focus on the Family or NOM.

Very annoying that every grocery store seems to give these people space to annoy and solicit you. Also, it seems like most bell-ringers stand in climate controlled lobbies, which is weak.

by Anonymousreply 2012/02/2012

Have you considered bringing an air horn or rape whistle to blow when you walk by them?

by Anonymousreply 2112/02/2012

r20, if the bell ringers, petitioners, girl scout cookie sellers, etc. are out on the sidewalk there is very little the store can do and they sometimes post signs advising customers to ignore them if they aren't interested.

by Anonymousreply 2212/02/2012

The people doing the bell ringing ALWAYS look poor. They're either doing it because they desperately need a job or they are doing community service

by Anonymousreply 2312/02/2012

They need to be called out on every occasion. Most people, including Gays don't know how homophobic the SA is.

If they're in uniform and work for the SA, they need to be told, politely, that their organization is despicable. Some of them may not even know it.

by Anonymousreply 2412/02/2012

[quote]Act Up accomplished nothing.

Sadly, you're right. It didn't.

And I belonged to it, in NYC, circa 1991-92.

by Anonymousreply 2512/02/2012

Would someone with good verbal skills give us a good phrase to say?

by Anonymousreply 2612/02/2012

No, it's not. Actually, it's easy. Just say "fuck you, Godless bigot" and move on.

by Anonymousreply 2712/02/2012

You girls are so silly. We will just yell at them. Stick our noses in the air and walk on by. What twats. Actually there is something you can do. Yes, if they are set up on a public walkway you can't stop them. HOWEVER, when they are set up in front of a store in a mall, strip mall etc., that property is privately owned and they need permission to set up. When you see the SA at Walmart for example they have Walmart's permission. If in front of a grocery store, they need that store's permission. They did not set up a few years in front of Walmart where I live. Lots of backlash and they are back at Wally world. I don't shop Wally but if you do your target is the store that gave them permission. YOU CAN GO AFTER THE STORE. You can picket the store from the true public street, not inside the parking lot. Come on you twats, get out there and do something

by Anonymousreply 2812/02/2012

I used to say: sorry I don't donate to anti-gay charities. Which made be feel better then ignoring them like I have the problem.

Until one day the at the same store the guy tried to pin me down because he said the were not and it was all a lie. I didn't want to get into a long thing with him but I am guessing he had no idea or didn't want to acknowledge it.

But he denied it," were not anti-gay."

by Anonymousreply 3012/02/2012

Fact r.30

They will not hire a gay person. Their religion teaches that homosexuality is a sin.

Tell them that.

by Anonymousreply 3112/02/2012

I have the feeling that a lot of the ringers don't have a clue about the Salvation Army's homophobic tendencies, figuring they're just helping out a charity that gives to the needy (which it actually does to some degree).

Though, (a) a least some probably know, and (b)some of those that don't know probably wouldn't care if they did.

by Anonymousreply 3212/02/2012

[quote]I saw some guy standing outside of a supermarket ringing the bell. Honestly, I think he worked for the supermarket and he was probably put in charge for it.

Yes, you're right r9. The supermarket manger gets to keep 40% of the money for himself.

by Anonymousreply 3412/02/2012

My college roomate and best friend was goig to do the ringing thing for his local Rotary Club. I called him when that article came out. He had no idea about their anti-gay beliefs. He told his Rotary Club he would not participate and asked the club to find a different holiday charity to support-like a drive for the local food bank.

by Anonymousreply 3612/02/2012

R29 - you need a fucking kick in the head already. I wish you'd fuck off back to freerepublic with your bullshit instead of infecting every thread here on DL.

And FYI - the homelessness and welfare problem got WORSE under your exalted Reagan. Bill Clinton is credited with welfare reform and getting people off it. Maybe take an economics or history class that isn't based on revisionist theory or come from a Bible-based university.

by Anonymousreply 3912/02/2012

Sky, not only are there freelance haters who like to come here and gay-bash, there are agencies who hire and pay people to troll sites like DL promoting products and pushing political causes (mostly right-wing.) They aren't very imaginative or empathetic and tend to go for the obvious slurs. If you see a post by an obvious troll, just click the f&f link to alert the webmaster. We don't have to put up with their shit.

by Anonymousreply 4012/02/2012

I've never had the urge to actually lay into an SA bellringer, but I have to confess I've been tempted a couple of times when approached by Cub Scouts selling popcorn or collecting bottles or whatever to tell them my nephews quit Cub Scouts because it's a homophobic organization and I'm glad they did because it turns out it's also a haven for pederasts!

by Anonymousreply 4212/02/2012

For pedophiles, R42. Pederasty isn't the same thing. But you're right about the Scouts.

by Anonymousreply 4312/02/2012

Years ago, the bell-ringers (at least in New York) were actual Salvation Army officers/ members in uniform; nowadays most of the ones I see appear to be volunteers. I doubt the latter know the fine points of what the Army believes or condemns as a Protestant denomination.

by Anonymousreply 4412/02/2012

Years ago, there was another organization that had bell-ringers. They wore cheap-looking Santa outfits. When I asked why Santa looked so different from the one in Macy's, my parents said the bell-ringer was just a Santa helper.

by Anonymousreply 4512/02/2012

Don't waste your time saying anything to a volunteer who's paid minimum hourly wage (in NYC) and may be homeless. Save it for the bell ringers who belong to the Army, they wear full uniforms. Be polite, those individuals don't make the rules, but will refer your comments to TPTB. Or slip a note in the kettle explaining why you refuse to contribute.

by Anonymousreply 4612/02/2012

To be honest, there aren't a lot of charities that don't have ties to religious organizations. I typically donate to some homeless shelters, food banks and soup kitchens this time of year, and they're all run by religious organizations who are all pretty much anti-gay. I figure the people who benefit from my donations aren't there because of their religion or religious hate for gays, they're there because they need a bed or a meal.

by Anonymousreply 4712/02/2012

nothing as crazy as a salvation army defender.

by Anonymousreply 5012/02/2012

Who's defending them, R50?

by Anonymousreply 5112/02/2012

[quote]You will get a big fuck you on DL for being a traitor. The crowd here has tunnel vision, they can't see beyond themselves

I agree with r47 but r48 is obviously one of those who post "Why does [bold]everyone at DL[/bold] hate blah-blah?" Since when does seven people make up a "crowd" r48?

by Anonymousreply 5212/02/2012

What R20 said. They probably have no idea.

Take it up with the policy holders, not the poor shlubs working the kettle.

by Anonymousreply 5312/02/2012

The salvation army's bell ringers are just paid hourly workers who probably couldn't care less about what either you or the "Sally" is all about. Most of them are just ex-cons, parolees, or homeless men looking for quick cash.

by Anonymousreply 5512/02/2012

I keep 'play money' in my wallet for them, on it I have written, 'you play with gay rights, you get play money'.

I donate to many other causes that don't mess with taking away people's rights.

by Anonymousreply 5612/02/2012

r54, for example. r51.

by Anonymousreply 5712/02/2012

and r18 of course.

by Anonymousreply 5812/02/2012

r54 is all over this thread spreading his bigoted bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 5912/02/2012

Catholics, especially the Knights of Columbus actively work and spend their tax free money to undo homosexuals. So does the Mormon church. One difference between these two groups and the SA is the SA member live very frugal lives. You will find no cathedrals and costly church buildings. Where I live a new Mormon Temple shows up very few years to go with all of the other multi million dollar Mormon temples. One of the local Catholic churches just built a new 10 million dollar Church, no expense was spared.

by Anonymousreply 6012/02/2012

[quote]The DL crowd does not...

There you go again. Typical moron who thinks everyone at DL thinks alike.

by Anonymousreply 6112/02/2012

A Guide To Knowing Your Taints: 2012 Edition

[quote]Are the bell-ringers paid, or volunteers?

If they are wearing blue polyester suits, they are missionaries. If they are wearing normal clothing, they are most likely temps.

The SA, as a church, does not pay any benefits to these people working outdoors.

Prime locations are reserved for more trustworthy (paler skinned) volunteers who are less likely to break into the kettles.

Trickier neighborhoods are reserved for wage slaves who might run away with all of the loot.

by Anonymousreply 6212/02/2012

[quote]Prime locations are reserved for more trustworthy (paler skinned) volunteers who are less likely to break into the kettles.

That's not true. The bell ringers at my grocery store, which is in a very affluent neighborhood, are predominantly black. Go figure.

I just say Hello when they greet me and keep walking. I figure that they're there to collect money so I'm most effective by not giving them what they want.

Plus, I don't think the greeters are necessarily bad people. I had a friend in high school. She was actually valedictorian. Her parents were very poor. The Salvation Army furnished their home among other things and she would ring the bell outside of our local Kroger. She's extremely liberal, HATES Republicsns more than I do.

She doesn't ring for them now.

by Anonymousreply 6312/02/2012

R62, are these SA's policies or yours?

by Anonymousreply 6512/02/2012

Okay R64. You win!!!!!

[bold]EVERYONE[/bold] AT DL HAS CONNIPION FITS anytime anyone strays from the group speak. EVERYONE at DL is thrilled that you're displaying your brilliance for all to admire. You're truly amazing and EVERYONE agrees.

by Anonymousreply 6612/02/2012

They are a cult.

by Anonymousreply 6712/02/2012

[64], so if everyone agrees that racism is wrong, it's group think?

It isn't group think to respect ourselves and not give money to a group that fires Gays if they find out, or refuse to help people if they admit they're Gay...

Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 6812/02/2012

Salvation Army bell-ringers are a mixture of actual Salvation Army members; volunteers, who may have little knowledge of the organization's political policies; and minimum-wage workers, who likely have no knowledge about the organization except that it's a supposedly good charity.

Being nasty to the bell-ringers is at best counterproductive. Drop in a voucher instead.

by Anonymousreply 6912/02/2012

No, R35, YOU fuck off and die. And then go self-righteous twat hell.

by Anonymousreply 7112/02/2012

[quote] if the bell ringers, petitioners, girl scout cookie sellers, etc. are out on the sidewalk there is very little the store can do and they sometimes post signs advising customers to ignore them if they aren't interested.

Completely incorrect. The sidewalks in front of stores are on private property, not a public thoroughfare. Ask Target. They do not allow ANY petitioners, solicitors or others to camp out and pester their customers.

by Anonymousreply 7312/02/2012

And we'd say to them, R72, that if you're going to judge all gay people by one thread on DL, then you're not particularly bright and are, most likely, just waiting for an opportunity to blurt out your homophobic feelings.

by Anonymousreply 7412/02/2012

I see SA bell-ringers, particularly this time of year, whenever I go to the supermarket or WalMart. I had no idea the SA were homophobic. What are the specifics of their homophobic practices and policies?

by Anonymousreply 7512/02/2012

The SA isn't the be all, end all of helping people. There are other organizations that aren't anti-gay bigoted assholes, feel free to give to those charities.

If you feel the urge to give SA a piece of your mind may i recommend writing a note, it could be nasty or argumentative, wrap it in something that looks like a dollar bill and drop it in the kettle.

by Anonymousreply 7612/02/2012

[quote] Some things should transcend arguments over religious Dogma.

NO, they shouldn't.

by Anonymousreply 7712/02/2012

Here ya go, R78. BTW, Google is your friend

by Anonymousreply 7912/02/2012

and more

by Anonymousreply 8012/02/2012

In June 2012, Major Andrew Craibe, a media relations director for one of the Salvation Army's Australian branches, had this exchange with radio host Serena Ryan:

Serena Ryan: According to the Salvation Army, [gay people] deserve death. How do you respond to that, as part of your doctrine?

Andrew Craibe: Well, that’s a part of our belief system.

Serena Ryan: So we should die.

Andrew Craibe: You know, we have an alignment to the Scriptures, but that’s our belief.

by Anonymousreply 8112/02/2012

The Sinking of the Empress of Ireland decimated the leadership of Canada's Salvation Army. 167 SA member, including almost all the leadership, died while on their way to the big convention in England.

by Anonymousreply 8212/02/2012

Bil Browning and his boyfriend were homeless.

“The Salvation Army refused to help us,” Mr. Browning recalls, “unless we broke up and then left the ‘sinful homosexual lifestyle’ behind. We slept on the street, and they didn’t help when we declined to break up at their insistence.”

Mr. Browning’s boyfriend was wearing a “Silence = Death” AIDS pin on his jacket, which must have tipped off the Salvation Army worker. “He told us we needed to be saved,” Mr. Browning says. “If we were willing to attend church services, he could help. We would have to break up, only one of us could stay in the shelter, and if there was room for the other, he would have to be on the opposite side of the room, and we wouldn’t even look at each other.”

by Anonymousreply 8312/02/2012

And it is not difficult to say "fuck you" to them. Sotto voce takes over as I walk past one of their dingalings, and who knows what I might say.

by Anonymousreply 8512/02/2012

Much like the Boy Scouts, the Salvation Army's years of discriminating are coming to an end sooner than later.

by Anonymousreply 8712/02/2012

Did anyone see the organization's television ads recently? I don't remember them ever doing that. Are they aware of the bad pr?

by Anonymousreply 8812/02/2012

The bell ringers are just trying to make a buck. I find it hard to hate on individuals who are just trying to make it by.

by Anonymousreply 8912/02/2012

Does Target still ban them from their stores?

by Anonymousreply 9012/02/2012

I pour fresh semen into their kettles and use their ringers as dildos.

by Anonymousreply 9112/02/2012

In 2001, the Salvation Army lobbied to change how the Bush administration would distribute over $24 billion in grants and tax deductions by urging the White House to deny funding to any cities or states that included LGBT non-discrimination laws. The Bush administration, to its credit, denied the Salvation Army's request.

by Anonymousreply 9212/02/2012

The Salvation Army is a legacy of the British. It's another part of the anti-homosexual culture it exported around the world in its colonial heyday.

by Anonymousreply 9312/02/2012

Shut the fuck up, R94. You dumb ass bitch. Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 9512/02/2012

Please be aware that the apologists here are mostly trolls pretending to defend the Salvation Army.

I do not support the Army. I recognize they do some good work, but they are a purposely naive, homophobic organization. I have a right to choose the charities I wish to support. I don't step between people who have few scruples about supporting homophobes and their right to give money to them.

Of course any sensible gay person would question the judgment of other gay people who support homophobic charities, no matter how many people they feed. Again, plenty of reasonable, humane organizations both support gay rights and do excellent charitable work.

Additional to the issues with the Army's determined naivete and backward-looking approach to reality (learn their history - they are purposefully reactionary), I resent their constant and noisy presence everywhere I want to shop. It is a small nuisance, but I don't go to the grocery to have people step in front of me, demand conversation, sing at me, and rattle a bell like it is a jack hammer. I know that many of the volunteers are disabled people who are being used for collections. That's one reason they act peculiar and rude. But it is tiresome.

I give money directly to one woman who I see every year. I tell her it is not for the pot, it is for her. She takes it, and I feel like I am doing something good and even-handed with her. She obviously is being taken advantage of by the sect.

by Anonymousreply 9912/02/2012

[quote]one of these days you are going to need us in your life.

Too bad your bigoted beliefs prevent you from helping people who love people of the same sex, making your statement empty blather.

by Anonymousreply 10012/02/2012

Tell R94/R98 what you think of her on her little thread. She reeks of Frau.

by Anonymousreply 10112/02/2012

??

by Anonymousreply 10212/03/2012

convaluted thinking

by Anonymousreply 10412/03/2012

r104, who did you vote for this past November?

by Anonymousreply 10612/03/2012

Is the leadership of the SA the same internationally? Reading Paul O'Grady's (famous gay TV host/ drag queen in the UK) autobiographies at the moment and he writes alot about the SA helping AIDS charities and taking care of gay men dying from AIDS.

Is the UK branch something entirely different? I don't give to the SA anyway but just curious about this.

by Anonymousreply 10812/03/2012

R108 - the SA in Canada apparently doesn't include homophobic doctrine.

by Anonymousreply 10912/03/2012

Missing.

The.

Point.

by Anonymousreply 11112/03/2012

There are OTHER local and national charities that feed and clothe and house the poor.

There is no need to give to the salvation army.

Why do people like r110 assume that those of us who are discerning in where we give our money to help others, don't give our money to help others?

I give substantially.

Just not to SA. Nor do I eat at Chick-fil-a or shop at Walmart. It's not hard.

by Anonymousreply 11312/03/2012

The Red Cross

Goodwill

Action Against Hunger

Bread for the World

Coalition for the Homeless

Freedom from Hunger

and many many more

by Anonymousreply 11612/03/2012

r114, where'd you go?

by Anonymousreply 11712/03/2012

Don't become a victim of your own generosity.

Give to worthy cause that don't discriminate.

by Anonymousreply 12012/03/2012

[quote] They lost their pets and the Red Cross refused to help them.

There does need to be a limit to charity you know?

by Anonymousreply 12112/03/2012

[quote] By the way if your house burns down the Red Cross might provide you with 50 bucks, 2 nights in a hotel and a couple of meals then you are on your own regardless of grave circumstances. I say might only, a neighbor of mine lost his house, left with the clothes on back at the time which was pj's and a robe, not even a pair of socks. He did manage to get his invalid wife out of the house. They lost their pets and the Red Cross refused to help them

Perhaps if your punctuation was better we might be able to tell how much/how little help your neighbor got.

by Anonymousreply 12512/03/2012

I honestly never know quite what to do when I pass a SA bell ringer. They seem so enthusiastic, and I have no reason to thing that they, as individuals, condone the SA homophobia. And they look so sad when I turn away. But the Salvation Army will never get a dime from me, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 13012/03/2012

[quote] We're not opposed to faith-based organizations, dear; we're opposed to discrimination and bigotry. Is any of this sinking in yet?

you don't speak for everyone. Some of us ARE opposed to faith-based organizations of ANY kind and will never support them.

by Anonymousreply 13112/03/2012

R103, when you die I hope you go to a Salvation Army heaven, where you spend eternity with your ugly mug stuffed into one of their tubas as they weepingly tell you that they love all people but cannot support gay people or gay rights.

Your post makes no sense here. And you, of course, are a cunt. Another cunt.

Fuck you, you homophobe. You don't care about the Army but you care about the homeless. Well, you ass, there are other ways of supporting the homeless than for gay people to give money to homophobic organizations.

Why can't you get that through your phony, smug head? Why are you even on the DL? To spread your cheer or post cat pictures, as well as help spread homophobia?

by Anonymousreply 13212/03/2012

R135 is the typical "How dare you be intolerant of intolerance?!" cunt.

by Anonymousreply 13812/04/2012

Indeed

by Anonymousreply 13912/04/2012

no, r137 is schooling the troll.

by Anonymousreply 14112/04/2012

Well this group is increasingly being exposed as the hate group it really is. Hopefully, one of these days, the SPLC will classify it as such.

by Anonymousreply 14212/04/2012

Just to clarify. The SA naysayers are not as extreme as the OP.

The moronic bell-ringers are not the problem, as 99% have no idea about the anti gay agenda of the SA.

So no. It is not difficult not to say "F You" to them. It's easy.

The people who need to be said f you to are the SA leadership.

by Anonymousreply 14412/04/2012

It is difficult not to say "fuck you" to everyone I meet.

by Anonymousreply 14512/04/2012

Troll defined : r147 ^

Hit troll-dar and it lights the thread up like a bug light in a mosquito swarm.

by Anonymousreply 14812/04/2012

Why the tread was started?

by Anonymousreply 15212/04/2012

Just stand next to them and tell the public the truth about the SA.

by Anonymousreply 15412/04/2012

Trolldar R153 and take a look at some other threads: he objected to same-sex marriages at Westpoint, atheists, brayed about "real Americans" on a thread about FDNY, etc. Do you really want to argue with someone like that?

by Anonymousreply 15612/04/2012

[quote]Sorry, you aren't allowed an opinion here.The real trolls control the boards by calling everyone else trolls.

We're still waiting for you to tell us where you live so that we can help you with that enormously complicated Google search for other charities that don't engage in discrimination and bigotry. Any time, now.

by Anonymousreply 16112/04/2012

[quote] I don't speak the liberal lies and you attack me?

LOL.... And yet, you are unable to come up with a single "liberal lie." Yup, definitely a troll.

by Anonymousreply 16212/04/2012

[quote]This "we need everybody to like us or else we won't like you, and we'll even go out of our way to get other people not to like you" attitude has just gone too far by parts of the gay community.

Sigh.... And yet another idiot who seems incapable of grasping the point. The Salvation Army practices discrimination and bigotry and has spent millions lobbying so that they can continue to practice discrimination and bigotry. This has nothing to do with "need[ing] everybody to like us."

What is it with you idiots and these same pathetic strawman arguments over and over again? Are you really incapable of grasping such a simple point?

[quote]There is value in respecting each other and agreeing to disagree rather than boycotting everyone you don't like

"There is value in respecting each other and agreeing to sit at the back of the bus." "There is value in respecting each other and agreeing to sit at a segregated lunch counter." "There is value in respecting each other and agreeing to use a segregated water fountain." "You just need everyone to like you; that's why you're boycotting those bus companies." Is any of this sinking in?

[quote]The Salvation Army is trying to help the poor and needy for goodness sakes! Let them do that in peace!

Not so long as they continue to advocate and lobby for discrimination and bigotry. I will continue to point out those despicable practices, will direct my charitable giving elsewhere, and will continue to lobby my friends and family to do the same.

The nice thing about this is that we will win. Support for discrimination and bigotry has been dropping year by year. At some time, the tipping point will finally be reached and organizations like the Salvation Army will have to either abandon their discrimination and bigotry or disappear. It's going to take years but it is a fight worth having.

by Anonymousreply 16512/04/2012

[quote] You will never change a belief system with hatred. You will never be heard. Everyone is capable of evolving, even the SA but not at the end of a prod. Honey not knives.

Oh, so we could've just offered Gestapo pots of honey when they came for us?

by Anonymousreply 16612/04/2012

[quote]You will never change a belief system with hatred.

Good thing I'm not practicing "hatred" then, isn't it? I'm simply pointing out the truth.

[quote]You will never be heard.

Um, the annual articles on this rather seem to contradict this point.

[quote]Everyone is capable of evolving, even the SA but not at the end of a prod. Honey not knives.

There's nothing wrong with employing both tactics. Hitting 'em where it hurts, in the pocketbook, is a time-honored way of getting attention. It often fails, for one reason or another, but it has also succeeded at various times. The Salvation Army will change; it's just a matter of time.

by Anonymousreply 16712/04/2012

what are the odds r169 is r168 after clearing his/her cookies?

Pretty high, I'd say.

by Anonymousreply 17012/04/2012

[R69] That is true, the members live very frugal lives. They don't build temples to themselves like the Catholics and the Mormons.It should be noted that Mormons are only charitable to Mormons. Gays love Christmas and will tell you they found a church that accepts them. Bull shit. They are celebrating the very same religion that has tried to undo them. Talk about hypocrisy.

by Anonymousreply 17112/04/2012

Project much?

by Anonymousreply 17412/04/2012

...time to clear your stale cookies again, silly.

by Anonymousreply 17612/04/2012

[173] LOL, as he trolls the thread he accuses everyone else of being a troll. I don't even know what a troll is supposed to be.

by Anonymousreply 17712/04/2012

cheering on r180.

by Anonymousreply 18112/04/2012

It's not a surprise that R179/R169 on another thread thinks that two Lesbians marrying is 'ungodly.'

by Anonymousreply 18212/04/2012

No. Not at all a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 18312/04/2012

GET LOST, JESUSCUNTS! Go spread your lies and support of gay-hate somewhere else. This site is not for you.

BTW - your mother sucks cocks on hell.

by Anonymousreply 18612/04/2012

Find another site to troll for your sky fairy, Jamie. Fucking psycho.

by Anonymousreply 19012/04/2012

r135. Why do you think two women marrying is "ungodly"?

by Anonymousreply 19112/04/2012

The little turds that keep being left behind here by trolling or Army-apologist asses sure stink up the DL. Note the one who is too lazy to do a Google search and fine the Army's policy on gays and gay rights. Note the clown who keeps saying that it doesn't care about homophobia because of all the good the Army does.

If you don't get the point that one can be charitable without supporting an organization that is against equal rights for gays, then you don't belong here. You don't belong here because you are either homophobic yourself, a frau, or so stupid you're just an irritant.

And if you're a troll, well, that's it's own reward, isn't it?

Fuck the Salvation Army. It is a backward, naive sect that is against gay rights, under the familiar guise that being gay is unchristian. Fuck that shit, and fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 19212/04/2012

Answer the question r135.

by Anonymousreply 19412/04/2012

From quite a few years ago, in New Zealand:

Before the passing of the Homosexual Law Reform Act in 1986, the Salvation Army was active throughout the country gathering signatures for a petition seeking to prevent the bill's passing.

Note: it took 20 years for the Salvation Army leadership to acknowledge the effect of their bigotry and even then, they didn't apologize for their opposition; they simply acknowledged that it was "hurtful" to some.

by Anonymousreply 19712/04/2012

[quote] The Salvation Army projects spending between $88,000 and $110,000 a month in its effort to boost Bush's faith-based initiative. It has hired various lobbying and strategy concerns to help with the effort.

That's what the money you drop in their kettles pays for. Not to help people in need.

by Anonymousreply 20012/04/2012

[quote]The Salvation Army projects spending between $88,000 and $110,000 a month in its effort to boost Bush's faith-based initiative. It has hired various lobbying and strategy concerns to help with the effort.

by Anonymousreply 20312/04/2012

Insane you are, anti-Paul troll.

by Anonymousreply 20612/04/2012

Thank you, R210. Someone doth protest too fucking much.

by Anonymousreply 21312/04/2012

What you are saying R212 is that it shouldn't matter whether organizations are bigoted. If they were racist would you say the same thing? Misogynistic? Anti-semitic?

What bigotry is okay with you and what isn't? Are you only okay with being being bigoted against gay people? That's okay right? We don't really deserve equal treatment and rights as everybody.

Either bigotry is okay, or it isn't. Period. Either you believe gay people deserve to be treated the same way as everyone else or you don't. Period.

by Anonymousreply 21412/04/2012

Sad that anti-gay bigots are allowed to take over what used to be one of the few refuges for gays on the net.

by Anonymousreply 22112/04/2012

Yes, and R220 also supports the "pray the gay away" therapy. So, begone and shove a crucifix up your ass!

by Anonymousreply 22212/04/2012

Fuck off back to Freeperville, R224.

You're not welcome here.

by Anonymousreply 22712/04/2012

Sounds like a threat R224. How Christian of you.

by Anonymousreply 22812/04/2012

The jesuscunt troll as usual can't reply to ANYTHING factual or logical, it just has to concentrate on "Paul".

Fuck off churchy. You have nothing to add here but troll diarrhea. Eat shit and go pray about it.

by Anonymousreply 23112/04/2012

[quote]I think a lot of people probably feel the way you do. I bet everyone he knows prays daily for him to get hit by a truck.

LOL.... And they claim that *I'm* a "hater?" The mind boggles....

by Anonymousreply 23612/04/2012

[quote]Salvation Army Media Director: Gays Should Be Put To Death

by Anonymousreply 23812/04/2012

So there!

by Anonymousreply 23912/04/2012

Let's see ... Paul is a troll for suggesting to gay people, on a gay website, that they might want to reserve their charitable donations for one of the many groups that help the downtrodden without serving up a side order of homophobia.

You, on the other hand, are not a troll for coming to a gay website and telling the gays they that should be happy to give their money to anit-gay SA even though many gay-friendly groups do the same work? And then trying to convince us that the SA isn't really anti-gay at all even though Paul and others have posted plenty of hard evidence to the contrary?

Riiiiggght ....

by Anonymousreply 24412/04/2012

[quote] R241 and R242, anti-gay trolls. They hate Lesbians marrying at West Point. They love therapists who try to make their patients 'ex-gay.' They love anti-gay Salvation Army. I'm not sure why they're on a gay website.

Because they're closet cases.

by Anonymousreply 24612/04/2012

There's an annoying woman ringing her bell near my house and she sings Christmas songs. I have seen her at different stores.

by Anonymousreply 24812/04/2012

Pro-SA posters on DL = putting the cray cray into C R A Z Y

by Anonymousreply 24912/04/2012

[quote]I really think I should pay all of you for the hilarity.

Riiiggghhhtt...

by Anonymousreply 26812/05/2012

[quote]I don't care if DL people call me a traitor, [R48]. I'm lucky for what I have, and lucky to not have to depend on a shelter or soup kitchen. I also think of how many gay youth these organizations probably help. Some things should transcend arguments over religious Dogma.

You have a point, r49, and I appreciate your concern for gay youth. Many large cities have organizations set up specifically to help homeless and otherwise-trouble gay teens. To avoid donating to anti-gay organizations, and to know for sure that your charitable dollars are helping gay kids, you might want to check into some of the groups.

by Anonymousreply 26912/05/2012

The Ali Forney Center in NYC:

by Anonymousreply 27012/05/2012

Larkin Street Youth in San Francisco:

by Anonymousreply 27112/05/2012

Ucan in Chicago:

by Anonymousreply 27212/05/2012

Lost and Found Youth in Atlanta:

by Anonymousreply 27312/05/2012

Avenues for Youth in Minneapolis, and if you google "homeless gay teens," your will find similar organizations in many cities beyond the ones I've posted about.

by Anonymousreply 27412/05/2012

Ha.

by Anonymousreply 27512/05/2012

w

by Anonymousreply 27612/05/2012

?

by Anonymousreply 27712/05/2012

Today a Salvation Army bell ringer told me to have a nice day. What should I have said in return?

by Anonymousreply 27912/05/2012

"Eat my big hole, felch-face" would've done the trick.

by Anonymousreply 28112/05/2012

[quote]Today a Salvation Army bell ringer told me to have a nice day. What should I have said in return?

"No, thanks. I've got other plans."

by Anonymousreply 28212/05/2012

I skip the "fuck you" (though it's fine as subtext) but I do say, as I keep walking, "I don't like that organization." Not interested in it disintegrating into the discussion phase -- but no guilt over not giving them money either. It's so in the news, these people have to know why.

by Anonymousreply 28312/05/2012

by Anonymousreply 28512/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.