Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ricky Martin is a self-important insufferable DOUCHE

I just heard an NPR interview and to hear him speak his coming out was the most important event to have occurred on this hemisphere since the birth of the oceans.

Hey straights? Want him back?

by Anonymousreply 7408/26/2013

His coming out was a big deal and not just for him. For over a decade he was a target of speculation and jokes and not just on this site but worldwide. He must have been aware of it. If you're confirming something that millions of people were wondering about, it IS a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2012

His coming out was a big deal.

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2012

Entertainer comes out as gay? Please.

Media made it out like he had parted the oceans, but that's the media looking for sensationalized copy.

Of course the speculation was rampant through the years, because most people thought he was gay. It was semi-brave of him I suppose, but he's not a 'hero' for pete's sake.

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2012

He's one of the few male celebrities whose coming out I was actually thrilled for. Still young, still handsome, tons of $$, and no need for him to put himself out there, but he did. It's usually a disappointment when only the queeniest guys make their "shocking" coming out announcement, so his was a breath of fresh air.

by Anonymousreply 412/01/2012

He's done more than you ever will.

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2012

Actually r5, I disagree, but that's another discussion. I'll allow you your delusions; enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2012

It was an interesting interview. They played some of Ricky's "Evita" performance. Though I'm far from a fan of Mandy Patinkin, Ricky can't hold a candle to Mandy's Che in "Evita." I was hoping he would be better.

by Anonymousreply 712/02/2012

He's done more than you ever will. Thanks, Ricky.

by Anonymousreply 812/02/2012

I heard his interview, he was fine. And I'm glad he took a big risk and came out. I'm happy for him that his run in "Evita" is doing well.

by Anonymousreply 912/02/2012

He's a bit prone to hyperbole, but I love him. I absolutely think his coming out was important. It's moves such as this that precipitate a cultural shift towards generations who don't care what your sexuality is, and who don't feel the need to define it.

by Anonymousreply 1012/02/2012

He's done more than all of us combined. More men, that is. He's probably up to his 5,000th customer by now.

by Anonymousreply 1112/02/2012

I want to eat his hole.

by Anonymousreply 1212/02/2012

Love him and all he's done. Glad he came out.

by Anonymousreply 1312/02/2012

He's a great guy. Bug off, OP.

And even if he's only "meh" in Evita, he's keeping the huge show packed. And I was happy to see it.

by Anonymousreply 1412/02/2012

He hasnt done shit except hide in the closet becasue that is what would make him rich and famous... then entertain for George Bush because he thought THAT was the train to hop on... then try and campaign for Hillary because he thought THAT was the train to hop on.. then try and come out after years of people and others had already shown it was safe, because he thought THAT was the train to hop on

you can have him.

Quelle douche.

by Anonymousreply 1512/02/2012

Wow, OP.. Don't you think it's time for you to leave with your tail between your legs? .. Scoot!

by Anonymousreply 1612/02/2012

R11 Whoopee fucking shit! He is not any better than anyone else! At the most he is a two hit wonder who probably came out in part to give whats left of his career a slight boost. And it hasnt happened. If he came out around the peak of his popularity i would respect him more. So sick of these fuckers coming out years later and you guys worshipping them because they have money, looks and are "brave". Brave is being true to yourself when its not the most convenient or comfortable thing to do and you stand to lose something.

by Anonymousreply 1712/02/2012

Link please? Or at least say what NPR program this was?

by Anonymousreply 1812/02/2012

He was already a wash-up when he came out. No one but the silly gays cared or noticed.

by Anonymousreply 1912/02/2012

[quote]He was already a wash-up when he came out.

His concerts still pack stadiums in S.A., Europe, and Asia.

by Anonymousreply 2012/02/2012

And David Hasslehoff is an A-list star in Germany. Your point being?

by Anonymousreply 2112/02/2012

[quote]Your point being?

No doubt, r21, you're unaware of the fact that people actually pay money to get into Ricky Martin's stadium concerts. Real money. As a result, he's making more money in one concert than you'll see all year. Does that sound like he's washed up as r19 claimed?

by Anonymousreply 2312/02/2012

You wanna read a boring autobiography? Pick up his typewritten ambien.

by Anonymousreply 2412/02/2012

R17 I get your point. But at least he came out. Think of all the closeted actors that didn't.

by Anonymousreply 2512/02/2012

She is an annoying homosexual and her 'coming out' is not valid until she publishes nude photos of herself and her husband.

by Anonymousreply 2612/02/2012

Can we please stop caring more about celebrities than we care about ourselves and each other? The heroic people are all the no-name schmucks working in shit jobs with religious fundamentalist parents, in states where there were no laws protecting queers from being fired or bashed or murdered - and many of these states still exist! - : I'm saying that the real hero/ines are all of us who came out in hostile surroundings and just WENT ABOUT OUR BUSINESS but made sure that everyone who came in contact with us knew we were gay, There are millions of us around the world who did this. Sometimes we did it by lying down in the street and getting arrested! Sometimes we did it in a low key but ordinary way, by refusing to allow straight people to operate on their arrogant assumption that everyone they know is always straight. Millions of men and women around the world, gay, lesbian, bi, transgender, took the risk on a daily basis for decades, letting people know they were gay. Those people are heroic. Those people made a difference. Even if some straight guy in Iowa knew only ONE person on the planet - thought he knew only one "open homosexual" - and that "open homosexual" was his neighbor or his accountant or his doctor or whatever: that straight guy from Iowa in 2002 or 1996 or 1984 had to think twice when he said something fucked up about quers. "Well, my neighbor is gay, and I don't see him on his knees in my bathroom licking the toilet bowl, so I guess maybe gays are not an abstraction, I guess I can't generalize about them, I guess at least one of them is just some dude next door." We made that happen. Over the past 40 or 50 years. All of us who insisted we not be invisible. All of us who insisted they see us. And all our friends who died of AIDS, who were the tragic victims of our invisibility. A lot of people paid with their lives for the hetero world's refusal to see us. All these people are incredibly heroic, all these people risked a huge amount to live honestly, all these people deserve to be celebrated as heroines and heroes.

by Anonymousreply 2712/02/2012

OP= King Crab.

by Anonymousreply 2912/02/2012

R27 is our Norma Rae.

by Anonymousreply 3012/02/2012

I wish he came out when he was really hot

by Anonymousreply 3112/02/2012

R27 Very well put. All the andersons, rickys, ellens, neils and rosies arent worth a damn compared to these people.

by Anonymousreply 3212/02/2012

We'll I'm right, we are all motherfucking heroes, all of us who've been open about ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 3312/02/2012

I like Ricky Martin a lot (and think it was indeed a big deal for him to come out). But I'm depressed by all the "He's EVERYTHING because he's rich and famous, and you're NOTHING" posts on this thread.

Inside many Dataloungers is a tiny Donald Trump screaming to get out, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 3412/02/2012

R27 is totally right. But we can't deny that also public people who come out help us. Both are important.

by Anonymousreply 3612/02/2012

Ricky Martin would NOT have come out if ordinary homos had not created a revolution in which we changed the general public impression of queers. We created the atmosphere in which it was not just safe for Martin to come out, but it was necessary. Because so many people already knew, and he was starting to look foolish for hiding it.

by Anonymousreply 3712/02/2012

Leave Daddy alone

by Anonymousreply 3812/02/2012

I always loved Ricki and love him no less now but he's not a hero, just like Anderson isn't. Both came out late in life after having a big career and a huge bank account and basically when they had very little to lose and actually a lot more to gain.

I have more respect for young artists that do come out at the very beginning of their careers and when they risk a lot - Adam Lambert, Zachary Quinto, Jaimie whatever from Union J, Matt Bomer and others who actually risk a lot.

So, yes, every celeb who comes is a great thing but some show more courage than others and more integrity.

In fact, I'm pretty sure there are very brave men and women here who came out early in an environment that was very hostile, even dangerous, risking their relations with the closest to them, their lives, their friendships and maybe even future careers.

To me, such people are the real heroes, the role models even if they are not rich celebs, in fact, the fact that they don't have a safety net makes them A LOT BRAVER.

by Anonymousreply 3912/02/2012

He's kinda like Donny Osmond, riding on the fumes of a long ago pin-up persona- as all the fraus scramble to find a new fuck fantasy.

Very limited talent. I can't see buying any of his albums.

by Anonymousreply 4012/02/2012

Sorry if I repeat myself, but why don't speak of those who don't come out?

by Anonymousreply 4112/02/2012

Ricky Martin is his number one fan. I am over him.

by Anonymousreply 4212/02/2012

He's always come across as extremely dim to me, which makes it surprising that he was able to stay closeted so long. He doesn't seem smart enough to lie for decades like he did.

Glad he finally stopped lying, though.

by Anonymousreply 4412/02/2012

Pretty but dumb is never a bad combination, R45.

by Anonymousreply 4512/02/2012

I think Ricky Martin coming out was awesome. Another celebrity quit lying about his sexuality. The only problem i have with his story is that he said he really loved those beards he had, i mean cmon Ricky, no one believes that.

by Anonymousreply 4612/02/2012

37 hits the mark. It's good he came out (although a few years earlier would have meant more) but he didn't create the atmosphere in which it was possible to come out. People who came out years ago and lived their lives openly and didn't date women and/or marry them because they were "confused," i.e. using them - they made it possible.

by Anonymousreply 4712/02/2012

I think you've got it, R28. What basic bitches.

by Anonymousreply 4812/02/2012

[quote]I just heard an NPR interview and to hear him speak his coming out was the most important event to have occurred on this hemisphere since the birth of the oceans.

I'm sure he was referring to himself, OP. His personal life. Not society. But, yes, coming out is extremely important, probably the most important thing any gay person can do.

by Anonymousreply 4912/02/2012

r48, why do you speak as if only men were gay? There are a lot of gay women, too, you know. They are called Lesbians. Let me introduce you.

What is this homosexual = always male presumption that DL always makes?

You guys are why teenagers kill themselves.

by Anonymousreply 5012/02/2012

R27, good points, but this is, afterall, a gossip site and if you don't want to hear people obsessing over celebrities (rather than ordinary working people), this is probably not the best site to be on.

by Anonymousreply 5112/02/2012

I always knew Ricky was gay.

by Anonymousreply 5212/02/2012

Because 95% of the gay people on this site are gay men. And 99.9% of the time when people mention the word "gay", they think gay men.

Female homosexuals already have their own word to 100% totally describe themselves only (Lesbian). There is no equivalent for gay men - I see no problem with gay men monopolozing the word gay, the way lesbians monopolize the word lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 5312/02/2012

I can't see the forest for the straw men.

by Anonymousreply 5412/02/2012

Lesbians are so sensitive. Must be the pussy juice.

by Anonymousreply 5512/02/2012

OP = Troll.

by Anonymousreply 5612/02/2012

[quote]Because 95% of the gay people on this site are gay men.

Actually that's not true at all. We've established this before with polls. The ratio of lesbians to gay men is not equal, but it's much higher than that.

[quote]And 99.9% of the time when people mention the word "gay", they think gay men.

No. That's not true either.

by Anonymousreply 5712/02/2012

Someone should find the last poll we did for r54. IIRC women make up half, if not more of the viewership of this site, and they are overwhelmingly straight women. I think that gay men just actually post more.

by Anonymousreply 5812/02/2012

They're just here, R59, because they suspect their husband is a big old mo. And he probably is.

by Anonymousreply 5912/02/2012

R54, you are just wrong, and R56, I am a gay man who knows that I owe my life to women.

You women-haters need therapy. Get some.

by Anonymousreply 6012/02/2012

[quote]We've established this before with polls.

Why do you assume those polls are accurate? I'm sure that I'm not the only one who skips most of them.

by Anonymousreply 6112/02/2012

Well good for him - I mean, I haven't thought of him in years until I saw this post. I suppose most Americans haven't thought of him in quite some time. Still, if it makes him feel important, I'm happy for him.

by Anonymousreply 6212/02/2012

R51, you are why people think lesbians are shrill harpies. Because I left out women while talking about a gay man coming out, I'm responsible for teen suicides? Maybe you're an example of why lesbians kill themselves?

by Anonymousreply 6412/03/2012

Dear god.

by Anonymousreply 6512/03/2012

[quote]Dear god.

Is that the start of your prayer for suicidal lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 6612/03/2012

Yeah he is not the sharpest tack in the box- but he did come out which makes it easier for normal people to come out in homophobic leaning communities- do not kid yourself.

For that he is to be applauded as is every famous person who comes out. It is quite obvious to me how much easier this makes it for the non famous to come out. For all the hand wringing over retribution from coming out-it is nevertheless the best thing anyone can do for themselves. It is the end of being a victim and the first step toward self determination which works well in all peoples lives.

by Anonymousreply 6712/03/2012

Is that you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 6812/03/2012

R68, you are giving him too much credit. Like Anderson, he only came out after he realized he was no longer fooling anyone AND because he knew we now live in a time where coming out can actually help you.

If you want to go gaga because a celebrity came out than go gaga for the celebrities that did came out when they did have something to lose (like Bomer).

Americans gays now live in a society that doesn't care as much as before. I can't help but think if the environment was still toxic, people like Ricky and Anderson would still be closeted.

by Anonymousreply 6912/03/2012

I am harldy gaga over Ricky Martin doing anything. But his coming out is GOOD. And those who do so in the future are doing good as well. Just as those of you who come out on the job AFTER others have. You may not be the first, but the more the better and on.

by Anonymousreply 7012/03/2012

The piece of shit is now saying that he used to bully gay people to distract from his own faggotry. Just goes to show that the most homophobic people usually really are fags themselves.

by Anonymousreply 7108/26/2013

Yeah, OP, it was a bigger deal when he WOULDN'T come out, I remember.

by Anonymousreply 7208/26/2013

He needs to shut up and come out all over me FACE!!

by Anonymousreply 7308/26/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!