Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Slice soda

Remember this from back in the day? There were all kinds of flavors, from apple and strawberry to pineapple and mandarin orange.

by Anonymousreply 10305/04/2013

We had Nehi.

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2012

I loved Slice.

But I loved Shasta more. They had the most amazing Black Cherry soda.

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2012

I liked Apple Slice back in 1984 or so. 16 oz. bottles, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 412/01/2012

They tried to market it as containing real fruit juice. It had such a small amount, it really didn't make any difference in the health benefit of the products.

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2012

I liked orange slice.

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2012

We had Moxie.

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2012

It was made by Pepsi. I wonder if they discontinued it because the name was kind of innuendo-ish.

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2012

[quote]It was made by Pepsi. I wonder if they discontinued it because the name was kind of innuendo-ish.

Yes, though next year they are coming out with a new line of sodas.."Gash".

by Anonymousreply 912/01/2012

If there was Squirt around, my mouth was on it.

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2012

We had Fanta.

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2012

It's kind of scary being in a business where your product name can gradually (or quickly) become a problem. Classic example, of course, is AYDS weight loss candies. But there were also products with the name "Hooker" or "Manson" (usually after the manufacturer's now unfortunate surname). Dick's Sporting Goods is still around, however. And "Trim" manicure implements.

by Anonymousreply 1212/01/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1312/01/2012

I lived on cigarettes and Diet Apple Slice in college. God, what I wouldn't give for another sip of that sweet nectar.

by Anonymousreply 1412/01/2012

You can't get Shasta in my area, but they have 30 flavors. Dammit, why aren't they nationwide?

Worse: Why doesn't carry them so I can have some delivered?

by Anonymousreply 1612/02/2012

The lemon-lime Slice was foul. It tasted semi-fermented or something. It was just wrong.

by Anonymousreply 1712/02/2012

I don't remember it at all. I must be the only one on this board under 100

by Anonymousreply 1812/02/2012

"I don't remember it at all. I must be the only one on this board under 100."

WTF are you talking about, Slice wasn't an ancient soda! It was very short lived, it's not as if it was out in the 1950s or 1960s!

In fact, IIRC, it came out in the 1980s!

by Anonymousreply 1912/02/2012

Slice is a line of fruit-flavored soft drinks manufactured by PepsiCo and introduced in 1984, with the lemon-lime flavor replacing Teem.

Varieties of Slice have included apple, fruit punch, grape, passionfruit, peach glaze, Mandarin orange, pineapple, strawberry, Cherry Cola, "Red", Cherry-Lime, and Dr Slice. Until 1994, the drink contained 10% fruit juice.

In the summer of 2000, lemon-lime Slice was replaced in most markets by Sierra Mist, which became a national brand in 2003. The rest of the Slice line was replaced in most markets by Tropicana Twister Soda in the summer of 2005, although the Dr. Slice variety can still be found in some fountains.

In early 2006, Pepsi resurrected the Slice name for a new line of diet soda called Slice ONE. Marketed exclusively at Wal-Mart stores, Slice ONE was available in orange, grape and berry flavors, all sweetened with Splenda.

As of 2009, Slice (orange, diet orange, grape, strawberry and peach flavors) was available solely from Wal-Mart Stores. In India, Slice is a mango flavored soft drink under the PepsiCo brand and can be bought in any general grocery store and other eatries, catering shops, promoted by a Bollywood actress, Katrina Kaif.

by Anonymousreply 2012/02/2012

"In fact, IIRC, it came out in the 1980s!"

It's cute that you still think of the eighties as not very long ago.

by Anonymousreply 2112/02/2012

I used to drink Body on Tap shampoo for that little taste of beer.

by Anonymousreply 2212/02/2012

Didn't care much for fruit sodas like grape or strawberry but loved Squirt(talk about suggestive name) and thought Orange Crush was best of orange soda.

by Anonymousreply 2312/02/2012

[quote] Dick's Sporting Goods is still around, however. And "Trim" manicure implements.

Dykes Lumber is very successful in the NY tri-state area and East coast.

by Anonymousreply 2412/02/2012

1984 may be a "long time ago", but as the post above in R20 shows, it actually stayed around a long time, and in some places is still around.

by Anonymousreply 2512/02/2012

[quote]although the Dr. Slice variety can still be found in some fountains

Now there's a SERIOUSLY unfortunate name. Gynecologist or surgeon?

by Anonymousreply 2612/02/2012

Dr Slice sounds like a bad horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 2712/02/2012

LOL Dr. Slice was their variation on Dr. Pepper (which is a horrible tasting soday, BTW).

And who's the young'un upthread who doesn't remember something from the mid-late '80s?

by Anonymousreply 2812/02/2012

Squirt, another ruined brand. I bought a bottle of Squirt last summer and was disappointed because it tasted exactly like nasty Mountain Dew.

by Anonymousreply 2912/02/2012

R29 Isn't Squirt a grapefruit soda? I don't recall Mountain Dew tasting like grapefruit.

by Anonymousreply 3012/02/2012

What about Faygo?( might be a regional thing)Do they still make that stuff? I remember frequently drinking Redpop as child

by Anonymousreply 3112/02/2012

R28, Dr Pepper is the best soda there is. Anyone who says it's "horrible tasting" has no idea what they're talking about, and no taste.

by Anonymousreply 3212/02/2012

Whoever mentioned Orange Crush was correct -- it was the best orange soda and tasted great! My late parents claimed the original Orange Crush came in a brown bottle containing bits of orange pulp.

The original grapefruit soda was Fresca, which tasted awful to me. It's made by Coca-Cola company and was one of the first "diet" sodas.

To each his own, but i'll never understand the appeal of Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper in any version -- both YUCK!

My mother, who was old as dirt, always claimed that Dr. Pepper was the very unsuccessful result to copy Coca-Cola and was mostly enjoyed by southern rednecks. Don't kill the messenger...

by Anonymousreply 3312/02/2012

Calm down, R32. My taste buds are different than yours, and my taste buds tell me that Dr. Pepper is gross. It's kind of like liquid black licorice. Blech!

by Anonymousreply 3412/02/2012

R34, your taster is way off.

I loathe and hate black licorice (or anise, or fennel)

Dr Pepper is delicious. It's cherry/vanilla/almond if its anything. Delicious!

by Anonymousreply 3512/02/2012

[quote]Dr Pepper is delicious. It's cherry/vanilla/almond if its anything. Delicious!

It's YUCKY!!!

If you want a good almond/cherry/vanilla soda, you should try Suburban Almond Smash. Now THAT'S a good soda.

by Anonymousreply 3612/02/2012

Yes r30, it's supposed to be grapefruit and lemon flavored but it tasted like half flat sugar piss Mountain Dew.

by Anonymousreply 3712/02/2012

That sounds delicious, R36... but not only have I never seen or heard of it (must be regional), but I'm not sure I should trust the taste of anyone who thinks Dr Pepper is "yucky"

by Anonymousreply 3812/02/2012

"It's cute that you still think of the eighties as not very long ago."

That's right douchebag, the 80s was not all that long ago, not in terms of any products longevity. I work in advertising, when any product spans more than 15-20 years and is still around, that means the product is very successful.

SLICE might still be available in some areas, though not across the US, to me, that doesn't seem like a very successful product which caught on.

Shut up R21, the ageism on DL is downright disgusting, just remember that when someone calls you a "big fag"! Prejudice is prejudice, whether it's about our sexuality, race, age or nationality.

So many gays are hypocrites!

by Anonymousreply 3912/02/2012

Suburban soda is good. It may be a regional thing, but they had two different ginger ales (golden and pale), orange, grape and almond smash.

And Dr. Pepper is vile.

by Anonymousreply 4012/02/2012

[quote]the ageism on DL is downright disgusting, just remember that when someone calls you a "big fag"! Prejudice is prejudice, whether it's about our sexuality, race, age or nationality. So many gays are hypocrites!

Truer words have never been spoken.

by Anonymousreply 4112/02/2012

I can't even imagine how people can think Dr Pepper is vile.

It was cherry coke before Cherry Coke(tm)!

It's literally the only soda I will still drink, because it's the only one that tastes really good.

by Anonymousreply 4212/02/2012

R42, your taste is shit. Dr. Pepper not only doesn't resemble the vastly superior-tasting Cherry Coke, but it is just wretchingly bad. There have been times when I've ordered a Coke and got Dr. P instead, and I just lost it every time. Nas-TEE.

by Anonymousreply 4312/02/2012

I don't get the comparison between Dr. Pepper and Cherry Coke.

I always judge the off brands on their quality of grape and orange soda. It has to have the right amount of flavor and carbonation.

by Anonymousreply 4412/02/2012

If you drink Dr Pepper while expecting coke, of course it tastes nasty.

But the same is true in reverse... if you drink Coke while expecting Dr Pepper, it'll taste nasty.

Don't you have the slightest clue about how taste works?

by Anonymousreply 4512/02/2012

[quote]Don't you have the slightest clue about how taste works?

I do, in fact, which is why I think Dr. Pepper is completely undrinkable.

by Anonymousreply 4612/02/2012

I once ordered coke, but got root beer. Now, I love root beer... but that first taste was a shock. I spit it out thinking the Code was rancid! It took me a few seconds to realize what the issue was. At which point I just continued drinking the Root Beer happily.

by Anonymousreply 4712/02/2012

Though it's only an occasional treat because I avoid aspartame, Diet Squirt is the best diet soda. It makes a great low-carb cocktail with tequila or gin. I wish they'd use a better quality sweetener.

by Anonymousreply 4812/02/2012

R33, it doesn't have bits of orange pulp, but you can still get Orange Crush made with sugar imported from Mexico. I rarely drink carbonated beverages, but this is what I reach for when I do.

by Anonymousreply 4912/02/2012

Dr. Pepper is the only soda worth drinking.

by Anonymousreply 5012/02/2012

Dr. Pepper is nasty. Always has been, always will be.

by Anonymousreply 5112/02/2012

R51, you're wrong.

And I agree with R50, sorta. I mean, I like some other sodas, but I've cut them out of my diet (empty calories). If I ever do slip and drink on, it'll be Dr Pepper, just because it's vastly superior to the other options generally available (Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, Root Beer, Orange Soda, Mt Dew, etc)

And if you've never had it with pure cane sugar, you're really missing out.

by Anonymousreply 5212/02/2012

Tab, baby.

by Anonymousreply 5312/02/2012

I will never understand the appeal of Tab.

Apple Slice was pretty good though.

by Anonymousreply 5412/02/2012

[quote]Worse: Why doesn't carry them so I can have some delivered?

Only a real fatso would order soda by mail

by Anonymousreply 5512/02/2012

R55, if you want to try something that isn't available in your area, how else would you do so but by ordering it by mail?

Did you even THINK before you posted that reply?

by Anonymousreply 5612/02/2012

"Back in the day"?? It's still around; I have the 7-upish type in the soda machine where I live; have also seen the orange...of course, I'm in a tiny northern NY town...

by Anonymousreply 5712/02/2012

Damn, R49! If I had credit cards anymore, I'd want to hook up with you if you could order me some????

by Anonymousreply 5812/02/2012

From Polar Beverages in Worcester MA

"Orange Polar Dry" or "Diet Orange Dry"

BEST of ALL - can't get it everywhere

by Anonymousreply 5912/02/2012

Dr Pepper was the first real soft drink (not counting traditional ones like root beer, ginger ale, etc).

It came in 1885 a year before Coca-Cola.

Mr Pibb is the knock off.

The only real good soft drinks are Coke Zero and Canfields Diet Chocolate Soda...

The rest suck the meat

End of thread

by Anonymousreply 6012/02/2012

R21, bitch please. TAB is still around and that's from the 1960's. It sells itself. Coca Cola doesn't do any marketing what so ever for TAB. They still sell it (mostly in 6 packs and 12 packs) because people still buy it.

Ask a coca cola delivery man about Tab. People know what day the Tab is delivered to their local store and buy it all up. You will never see someone with one 12 pack of TAB. It will always be 4 or 5 twelve packs of TAB. Most people don't know that it's still available because the stores only carry a few 12 packs and it's always sold out. It's usually the empty space on the shelf

by Anonymousreply 6112/02/2012

Darn, Suburban Almond Smash isn't available on Amazon either. And, no R55, I'm not fat either.

by Anonymousreply 6212/02/2012

[quote]Dykes Lumber is very successful in the NY tri-state area and East coast.

Back in the 60s my uncle had a gift shop in Dykesville, WI He named it "The Dyke". No lie.

by Anonymousreply 6312/02/2012

[quote]The original grapefruit soda was Fresca

Squirt came out in 1938. Fresca in 1966.

by Anonymousreply 6412/02/2012

Diet Chocolate Fudge.

by Anonymousreply 6512/02/2012

Loved apple Slice. Wish they made more apple-flavored beverages.

Grape soda is the best thing for a hangover. I don't know why.

by Anonymousreply 6612/02/2012

[quote]The only real good soft drinks are Coke Zero and Canfields Diet Chocolate Soda...

I'm sorry, but there's no such thing as a good diet soft drink. They ALL taste terrible.

by Anonymousreply 6712/02/2012

Dr. Pepper is cola with a shot of prune juice. Why do you think they call it [italic] Doctor [/italic] Pepper?

by Anonymousreply 6812/02/2012

[quote]Dr Pepper, just because it's vastly superior to the other options generally available (Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, Root Beer, Orange Soda, Mt Dew, etc)

You should replace "superior" with "more disgusting"

[quote]Dr. Pepper is cola with a shot of prune juice

No wonder it's so nasty.

by Anonymousreply 6912/02/2012

[quote]Dr. Pepper is cola with a shot of prune juice.

Uh, no. There is no prune juice or flavoring in Dr Pepper. That nonsense was debunked a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 7012/02/2012

[quote]From Polar Beverages in Worcester MA

They've got a range of holiday flavored seltzers - egg nog, butter rum, and something else. We bought the butter rum and egg nog last week while visiting R.I. to see what they would taste like. I expected it to be horrible but the butter rum was delicious - like drinking a cocktail but in a 0 calorie seltzer water. I was tempted to put some in my suitcase and bring them back to Atlanta since Polar isn't sold down here.

by Anonymousreply 7112/02/2012

Root beer (mostly wintergreen flavored soda) is widely disliked outside of North America.

by Anonymousreply 7212/02/2012

The orange and strawberry were my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 7312/02/2012

The local Ci-Cis pizza place has apple Fanta.

by Anonymousreply 7412/02/2012

I like Diet Dr Pepper, but I tried the Cherry Vanilla version once and spit it out. Tasted like medicine. My current favorite drink is orange juice mixed with Diet Sprite/Sprite Zero/7-Up.

by Anonymousreply 7512/02/2012

Anyone remember No Cal soda? They did a bizarre mix, IIRC, cola with mint and other weird cola flavors around the Holidays.

I'm trying to remember another bizarre concoction, it was like a liquid version of Kool Aid, in thta it had to be mixed with water.

This was basically a liquid flavoring mix which came in different colored small cans, with the main art on the can being a polar bear in an icy landscape.

My mom thought it was called Sno-Crop, but I Googled, that brand was an already mixed juice in larger cans, this was a syrupy mix which required water.

by Anonymousreply 7612/02/2012

I quit drinking soda for a couple years and when I had a diet Coke, I couldn't believe how salty it was. I can't drink it anymore.

When water with lemon bores me, I drink Crystal Light flavored water. It's good but it turns my teeth pink.

by Anonymousreply 7712/02/2012

Apple Slice sounds awesome! Bring it back!!

by Anonymousreply 7812/02/2012

A picture of pure deliciousness:

by Anonymousreply 7912/03/2012

Does anyone remember Dr Pepper's "10, 2 and 4" slogan? Or the commercials that suggested that you heat it and serve it as a morning beverage? I like Dr Pepper, but WARM Dr P? I don't think so. And it would be flat, too.

by Anonymousreply 8012/03/2012

Dr. Pepper may not actually contain prune juice, but it makes me have to shit like nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 8112/03/2012

No, R81, it doesn't. That's not possible.

by Anonymousreply 8212/03/2012

Nobody's mentioned "Rondo." My mom thought I was drinking a beer the first time she saw me with one.

by Anonymousreply 8312/04/2012

I pity the fool who doesn't like Dr Pepper.

I once tried this "Cherry Lime" soda that I saw in Utah. It was put out by Snapple. It was freakin' AWESOME. I saw it the once, and never again.

by Anonymousreply 8412/05/2012

[quote]I pity the fool who doesn't like Dr Pepper.

You just like him cause Scott Baio would dance and sing off key with one in his hand.

by Anonymousreply 8512/07/2012

Apple Slice has a strong cult following. It always comes up in threads about favorite pops (yes, I'm from the Midwest). Wish I had tried it.

I don't like regular Dr. Pepper, but the diet version is my favorite diet pop. Diet Canada Dry is also good, and it is VERY dry and gingery.

Coke is a perfect creation. I would drink it every day if it weren't so bad for me.

by Anonymousreply 8612/07/2012

You fatsos need to just drink water.

by Anonymousreply 8712/07/2012

Cumberland Farms has a fantastic soda called Sucka Punch for $1/20 oz. bottle. Tangy and addictive. Best flavor I've had in years.

by Anonymousreply 8812/07/2012

Elder-gay thread.

by Anonymousreply 8912/07/2012

You bitches don't know what you're missing if you're drinking sodas made with HFCS instead of sugar.

HFCS should be outlawed.

by Anonymousreply 9012/07/2012

I've never heard of "Slice" being innuendo-ish. I seriously doubt the name was a problem.

I had to really think about that. Is Slice now slang for vagina? I associate it with pizza, cake, pies and fruit, or as an alternate verb for "cut". Never heard it used any other way. Then again I never got the whole "gash" thing, either. Maybe I just don't hate women enough to reduce them to violent imagery equated with their genitalia. Guess I should work on that.

by Anonymousreply 9112/07/2012

[quote]Root beer (mostly wintergreen flavored soda) is widely disliked outside of North America.

Wintergreen? The flavor of root beer comes from sassafras. That's why it's called "root" beer.

by Anonymousreply 9212/07/2012

Craigmont rules..

by Anonymousreply 9312/07/2012

I never heard of "Birch Beer" until I visited teh North East. Weird stuff.

by Anonymousreply 9412/10/2012

R93 CRAGmont. It was Safeway's house brand. They now use "Refreshe."

by Anonymousreply 9512/10/2012

R85 When did Scott Baio dance with Dr P?

by Anonymousreply 9612/10/2012

You will apparently know because they don't make Diet Apple Slice anymore, but seriously, half beer and half diet apple Slice was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 9705/04/2013

We only had about three flavors of Slice in my area - certainly never the apple flavor. Ours is Faygo territory (yes, it's still made). Faygo's raspberry cream was the absolute best.

by Anonymousreply 9805/04/2013

Lemon-lime Slice was great and it's criminal that Slice is dead while shit like Shasta, Squirt and Mello Yello still exist.

Grape and Orange Slice were also delicious.

Fuck you Pepsi Co. for your Sierra Mist wannabe Sprite bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 9905/04/2013

My dad was in the grocery biz in the Midwest and was always bringing home manufacturers' samples of new products for us to try. Around the summer of 1980 he brought home a crate of an apple flavored soda called Applicious which I remember drinking all summer from our basement fridge. I can still picture the pale green can but have never seen any mention of the brand on the Internet ever. Apple Slice was probably close to it in taste, kind of like a carbonated nonalcoholic cider.

by Anonymousreply 10005/04/2013

It was David Naughton, not Scott Baio [R85]. He used his fame from the Dr. Pepper commercials to land the lead in American Werewolf in London.

by Anonymousreply 10105/04/2013

FLOVED the apple. Why did all the good things get taken off the market so quickly like Bird's Eye Cool and Creamy puddings in a tub yet their shitty Cool Whip has been around forever.

by Anonymousreply 10205/04/2013

I miss the Shasta Black Cherry soda.

Doesn't matter too much, I don't drink sodas any more.

by Anonymousreply 10305/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!