Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why wasn't Stockard Channing nominated for an oscar for GREASE?

She stops the show twice with her two numbers. Her Rosalind Russell meets Tina Sinatra performance is the best in the movie. Even Olivia and Didi have said that.

by Anonymousreply 3802/15/2014

Grease did not receive any acting nominations. I think the academy didn't take it seriously as an actor's movie.

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2012

Is this thread a joke?

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2012

Hey, you try playing a high schooler when you're past 30.

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2012

It's arguably not a good movie to begin with?

by Anonymousreply 412/01/2012

They were too dazzled by ONJ's acting in the part of Sandy.

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2012

Stockard was great in the movie. I would have loved to have seen Adrienne Barbeau in the original production. I imagine it was a somewhat similar portrayal.

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2012

Has anyone seen Adrienne in the original?

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2012

R2 nailed it.

THREAD CLOSED

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2012

"I would have loved to have seen Adrienne Barbeau in the original production. I imagine it was a somewhat similar portrayal."

No, the stage version was tougher. In the movie, "There Are Worse Things I Could Do" is too much muzak. Where Stockard was sarcastic, Barbeau was a much tougher Rizzo.

by Anonymousreply 912/01/2012

[quote]Where Stockard was sarcastic, Barbeau was a much tougher Rizzo.

From watching Barbeau on Revenge last week, I can believe that.

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2012

Hello, I'm Stockard Channing and welcome to Trader Joe's"

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2012

If she were nominated in leading actress, she would have been against winner Jane Fonda in Coming Home, not to mention Ingrid Bergman, Ellen Burstyn, Jill Clayburgh and Geraldine Page. If she were considered a supporting actress it would have been against winner Maggie Smith for California Suite and others including Dyan Cannon, Penelope Milford, Maureen Stapleton and Meryl Streep. I do love Stockard Channing (and I don't know how she lost a Tony Award to Mercedes Ruehl) but I think the Academy made the right choice about Grease.

by Anonymousreply 1212/01/2012

She would have to be best supporting.

by Anonymousreply 1312/01/2012

Barbeau IS a much tougher Rizzo, r9, because isn't her performance captured on the original Broadway cast album?

by Anonymousreply 1412/01/2012

The real travesty was the Academy not recognizing the work of Miss Didi Conn.

by Anonymousreply 1512/02/2012

There was some talk of a supporting nod at the time. At least in People magazine.

by Anonymousreply 1612/02/2012

Shhhh, this is DL, the land of inverted taste. People with bad taste have gathered here to say they're mad as hell, and they're not going to be told they're wrong anymore!

by Anonymousreply 1712/02/2012

Lucie Arnaz was wanted for the role of Rizzo, but her mother, not Gary Morton btw, didn't want her to screen test. She would have been fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 1812/02/2012

How did Joan Blondell not get nominated?

by Anonymousreply 1912/02/2012

My older brother used to have sex with the guy who played Putzie. I hear he is now married with kids. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 2012/02/2012

[quote]The real travesty was the Academy not recognizing the work of Miss Didi Conn.

You'll be pleased that the Academy is rectifying that mistake and giving Didi Conn the Cecil B. Demille Award in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 2112/02/2012

lol,R21, thanks for the laugh!

by Anonymousreply 2212/02/2012

Sorry Stock you were passed over to present me the award for Debbie Boone who will sing "You Light Up My Life" as I enter stage left.

by Anonymousreply 2312/02/2012

As good of an actress Stockard is, members of the Academy still couldn't buy a post-menopausal woman as a teenager!

by Anonymousreply 2412/02/2012

[quote]Sorry Stock you were passed over to present me the award for Debbie Boone who will sing "You Light Up My Life" as I enter stage left.

With Marlee Matlin signing the lyrics as an homage to Boone's performance at the 1978 show.

by Anonymousreply 2512/02/2012

Even though stockard was about 30 i still think she pulled it off and grease wouldnt been the same without her. She probably merited a golden globe nom but only travolta and newton john got nominated for globes. Think she was seen as too lightweight against such heavy competition of those oscar nomned. I would have loved to have seen adrienne in the role too.

by Anonymousreply 2612/02/2012

By the time the movie version of Grease came out, Adrienne Barbeau was already known as Maude's daughter. I wonder if she had played Rizzo if that would have changed the balance of the show, with her being as well known as John Travolta and ONJ.

by Anonymousreply 2712/02/2012

Just to clarify my post above, Grease on stage was also a more rowdy show than the movie. For example, in the show, during "We Go Together" Kenicke is standing behind Rizzo and grabs her breasts. I think the movie had to lessen the rowdiness so as not to get an R rating. The movie was a very watered down version of the stage show.

by Anonymousreply 2812/02/2012

Because giving the best performance in "Grease" is not the same as giving an oscar nomination worthy performance.

Having said that if AMPAS could have nominated Penelope Milford for her performance in Coming Home - what exactly did Penelope Milford to in Coming Home to merit an oscar nomination; granted, I haven't seen that movie in decades, but was her role that memorable? - I suppose they could have nominated Stockard.

by Anonymousreply 2912/02/2012

maybe they can give her a retroactive one this year.

by Anonymousreply 3002/14/2014

She was robbed!

by Anonymousreply 3102/14/2014

But you have to admit she's the only one in the film who can act, who's not a one-dimensional goof.

by Anonymousreply 3202/14/2014

When Stockard Channing misses her period in "Grease," she shouldn't have assumed pregnancy.

Menopause, on the other hand....

by Anonymousreply 3302/14/2014

The fuck, r32?

by Anonymousreply 3402/15/2014

Stockard Channing is a hell of an actress. She was nominated for the Oscar 20 years ago. But, when it came to [italic]Grease[/italic], the Academy only had regard for its music. This isn't necessarily a silly thread when looking at some of the wonderful work in that film. Yes, this includes Didi Conn. But it also includes Eve Arden. The leads, John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John, pulled it off as well. It just wasn't the type of film that was going to get that kind of recognition.

by Anonymousreply 3502/15/2014

I'm still pissed about Grease 2 not getting any love from the Academy!

by Anonymousreply 3602/15/2014

I couldn't even get a Razzie.

by Anonymousreply 3702/15/2014

Grease was a hugely popular movie. But who the hell was its audience? I can't imagine anyone but 13 year old girls would want to see it.

I remember in a Playboy interview with John Travolta he was asked "how are you dealing with the bad reviews Grease has been getting?" And Revolta replied "Grease has gotten a lot of good reviews. It depends on which ones you're reading." And the interviewer said "the ones we read were awful." I can't remember what Revolta said in reply to that.

by Anonymousreply 3802/15/2014
Need more help? Click Here.