Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are you friends with any Republicans?

Most of my co-workers vote Republican, but politics doesn't affect our work environment.

by Anonymousreply 12412/07/2012

No.

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2012

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2012

Friends, no, but many relatives with whom I'm on reasonably good terms. We just don't talk politics.

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2012

Friendly, but not friends.

by Anonymousreply 412/01/2012

Nope. I have a suspicion that one is a republican but she never talks politics.

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2012

Where do you work OP, At a Gun Factory, Pickup Truck Repair? Figure Skating Shows?

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2012

yeah, unfortunately...

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2012

unfortunately yes. We don't talk politics.

Most of my extended family is Republican. I don't keep in contact with them. They wonder why.

Thankfully my immediate family (mother, father) are both very liberal.

by Anonymousreply 912/01/2012

R2 is so nonchalant that I think he must actually be a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2012

I HAD one friend, but not anymore.

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2012

All of my management (from the guy I report directly to, to the guy that manages my group (yes, different people) up to the director and president, were all HUGE Romney supporters.

During the recent company quarterly meeting, the CEO was a particular asshole talking about how the election didn't go the way "we" wanted it to, and rambling on about utter bullshit. Made me steam.

I like the job and the pay, but damn, do I hate the politics of the management.

by Anonymousreply 1212/01/2012

I have relatives, and a friend or two, who are Republicans. People with a great deal of money, only care about money. They say they are fiscal conservatives, but socially liberal. They think they absolve themselves that way.

But what they fail to realize is that the only reason there are any Republicans in office is that there are millions of socially conservative (i.e racist, homophobic, xenophobic) people. There aren't enough fiscal conservative (i.e super wealthy) people to elect anyone into any office.

The two groups (fiscal and social conservatives) have a label in common, but very little else. But they have made a devil's pact.

by Anonymousreply 1412/01/2012

I had a coworker who was quite right wing, watched Fox and considered any print news source outside of the WSJ or Business Week unreliable and biased. The thing is that she was the type of person who would go out of her way to help her fellow coworkers, family and friends with her time and even money. Interpersonally, she was very nice and kind.

Her husband, OTOH, was a professional freeloader who ostensibly worked in construction but went from career to career, including a brief foray into - professional bass fishing. He also had some cockamamie scheme to contract with his local municipality to hand out tickets for traffic violations and city code violations. (I know, I know.) Needless to say, he wasn't a breadwinner, yet she tolerated his BS and managed not to see him for the sponger he was.

I couldn't understand or begin to reconcile these two aspects of my coworker. I did consider her a friend at work and got together with her and other coworkers socially a few times. The rest of us were pretty liberal, but she dealt with it well.

by Anonymousreply 1512/01/2012

I live in a red state. Most of my co-workers and friends are Repub. I make no bones about being a Dem. Everyone has a good time with me, teasing me about being a lib or a "loony leftist" or whatever, but it feels good natured.

There are other Dems who keep it secret from everyone including me. I didn't know how many there were until Obama won for the second time. They would come up to me, because everyone knew how I felt, and give me a thumbs up or whatever.

The Repubs were stunned, but mostly good sports about it except one. I was being teased one day and the teaser mentioned Reagan and said even Dems agree he's the greatest president and I laughed and said "No we don't. I think Reagan SUCKS!"

Everyone laughed and she turned around and said she was tired of hearing the tearing down of Repub on company time. So we all got really quiet because it kind of sounded like she was going to go to administration about me and no one wanted that since all of them were talking politics too.

Right then, one of the Big Bosses came in, walked over to me and said "What do you think about your guy (meaning Obama) and what he's saying about Bengazi?" He was laughing. He and I have a GREAT time arguing politics. Everyone shushed him, much to his surprise, and said we weren't supposed to talk politics. He laughed and took me outside and we had our little argument all was well.

She and I are okay and she said she was having problems at home and took them out on me. But I was glad he came in when he did because there are other bosses who don't have a sense of humor about things.

by Anonymousreply 1612/01/2012

There is nothing "fiscally conservative" about Republicans. You cannot point to one thing they've done in the last 40 years that exhibits any "fiscal conservatism".

All they've done is grow government, and explode deficits and debt.

by Anonymousreply 1712/01/2012

I couldn't be friends with a republican. What could we talk about? I believe, more or less, that we are here on earth to help other people. Republicans believe that we are all here to help Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 1812/01/2012

I over-heard a co-worker talking on the phone, and he said this: "... yeah, well, it takes a lot of money to be a liberal! Go ahead and increase my taxes!"

I wanted to punch him. Seriously. How do conservatives get everything SO FUCKING BACKWARDS?

My patience has run out on these idiots and assholes. It's not a difference of opinion, THEY'RE FLAT OUT DELUSIONALLY WRONG. Objectively.

I'm finding it harder and harder to be "friends" or even associate with people who vote against my very basic civil rights because they buy the lies of the rich about taxes.

by Anonymousreply 1912/01/2012

My whole immediate family and a lot of my relatives have always been Democrats. In my early life, the Republicans I knew didn't bother me; it was before the extremism entered politics and frankly, nobody talked about politics much. Also, most of them (Repubs) were not particularly religious.

Nowadays, I positively loathe Republicans and what they have become. I can't stand them. I am sick of the whole "good Christian" schtik too.

by Anonymousreply 2112/01/2012

R20 is visiting from an alternate universe.

by Anonymousreply 2212/01/2012

Who gives a fuck, R20/R24? Tell that to the Republicans who have been destroying our country for years, and to the dozens of gay men who think you're a torpid Pollyanna.

by Anonymousreply 2512/01/2012

I have several neighbors, retirees, who are Republicans. A couple of them tried to engage me in a political discussion, and I just gave them a friendly chuckle and said, "You know, I hate politics, and I try not to pay any attention to all that nonsense!"

When one of them asked me who I was voting for, I said,"Vote? I don't think I'm even registered! Don't you have to register?"

Meanwhile, I was volunteering for Obama, cavanssing, making phone calls and on four weekends in October I drove from PA to Ohio to help out!

I'm on good terms with my neighbors, and yes, I'm out, but they like me because I live quietly, keep up my property and I took care of my mother when she had her stroke. She died last year. I have the house now. I've been living hereoff and on with mother ever since I went to high school. They know me.

by Anonymousreply 2612/01/2012

R20's post is more eldergay than Orrin Hatch's anus swathed in taffeta.

by Anonymousreply 2712/01/2012

My dad, was Repub most of his life while his wife and us kids were Dems. Suddenly one year, I think it was Clinton, Dad changed sides. With a vengeance. He was more liberal than all of us. So this year he got himself an Obama sign.

Apparently the neighbors didn't like it because it kept getting stolen. He'd just get another. Finally he drove home and caught a neighbor taking his sign and made him give it back.

Then my elderly dad got out his stepladder and a nail gun. Everyone was unhappy with these tools but he went out and nailed his sign just out of reach on a tree in the front.

by Anonymousreply 3012/01/2012

R29, believes are the best way to judge people. Being and voting Republican makes you a sub-human unworthy of respect, friendship, or much of anything, really. Period.

by Anonymousreply 3112/02/2012

[quote]believes are the best way to judge people.

What are you trying to say?

by Anonymousreply 3212/02/2012

My best friend was(is) a Republican and very involved in local politics. I wrote him off after he started getting in to that Reverend Wright shit (remember that?) and how it proves what kind of beliefs Obama really has. I threw back about how he goes to church every week and the fact that he follows the pope shows me what kind of beliefs he really has. That was the end of our friendship. It just became too exhausting arguing politics every time I went to his house. He still tries to contact me ( he was concerned that I was doing Ok during all the Chik-Fil-A negativity)but I'm done. So, the answer is no.

by Anonymousreply 3312/02/2012

I've only met one Republican I could really be friends with, during undergrad. We worked together, and when we first met she was the treasurer of the College Republicans. Her parents had defected from Cuba, so fiscally she was uber-conservative, although she would occasionally give ground on social issues. She was Catholic and very devout, but not fanatical. We bonded while talking about books, and music in particular as we both had classical tastes.

I thought we were great friends, and then one day she just quit speaking to me. She had invited me to one of her piano recitals. I said that I'd try my best to make it, but I was busy that day and it completely slipped my mind. Now, I was a total closet case then, and ridiculously naive. It wasn't until a coworker later told me that I realized all that time my friend had been flirting with me. It had hurt her feelings that I never responded, and I guess the recital was the final straw. I felt terrible.

Anyway, that's the story of my only Republican friend.

by Anonymousreply 3412/02/2012

I wouldn't be friends with a Republican, but let me also add many Democrats are assholes too.

by Anonymousreply 3612/02/2012

We all knew that already, R35 - they bonded over music, if I'm not mistaken.

We still hate Repug scum, though.

by Anonymousreply 3712/02/2012

[quote]he was concerned that I was doing Ok during all the Chik-Fil-A negativity

I hope you sent him this link and asked him to read the entire thing:

by Anonymousreply 3812/02/2012

No, R38. I told him that "all the negativity" is being caused by the very people that he would bend over backwards to have vote for him and the people whose views he represents.

by Anonymousreply 3912/02/2012

Related to? Yes.

Friends with? No.

by Anonymousreply 4012/02/2012

Well, if you haven't read the link, R39, please do so (it's good). And if you ever communicate with him again, share the link.

And in fact, share this one as well (another excellent deconstruction of "I'm not anti-gay" people who vote Republican):

by Anonymousreply 4212/02/2012

No, R41 ... R35 is NOT right.

Intolerance of intolerance is intelligence.

And Republicans are intolerant and willfully ignorant.

That you coddle such bullshit is a problem. It's not everyone else that's the problem. It's people like you.

by Anonymousreply 4312/02/2012

No, R44. Again, you seem to not be able to grasp the distinction between cause and effect. This is a problem you really need to work on.

I am intolerant of those who are full of hateful ignorance and bigotry and selfishness.

It's a very, very different thing.

What you just said is like going up to a jew that has just had his family murdered by Nazis and who refuses to be friends with a Nazi neighbor, and telling the jewish man he's full of hate.

That's how fucking wrong and ridiculous you are.

by Anonymousreply 4512/02/2012

R44 echoes those tiresome fundies that claim they are the true victims of intolerance.

by Anonymousreply 4612/02/2012

There was one at a party I attended a few weeks ago. I made a point of snubbing him.

by Anonymousreply 4712/02/2012

Exactly, R46.

by Anonymousreply 4812/02/2012

R49, when someone, with their vote, elects people who want to deny my basic human and civil rights... it goes way beyond a mere difference of opinion.

You can't say just agree to disagree, because they get to walk away a full citizen with full rights, and I don't.

You're just wrong here.

by Anonymousreply 5112/02/2012

Most of the guys where I work are republicans but I don't really interact with them because of all the sexual tension. And the women...well I don't interact with them becuase they're mostly frumpy and jealous.

by Anonymousreply 5212/02/2012

Yes, but only find out after we have been friends for several years. Its like "I forgot to tell you I had herpes."

The straight friends I can sort of have a debate with. The gay ones are the worst. I have a much shorter fuse with that.

"I'm not a one issue voter" bla bla bla. I say oh really? Lets take money as an one issue off the table. Now tell me what you love so much about the republican party that has nothing to do with money which includes: taxes, welfare, benefits, or unions.

by Anonymousreply 5412/02/2012

R53, what "Kool-Aid" do you suppose I've drunk?

Are you denying that Republicans as a party are attempting to deny basic civil and human rights to anyone who isn't a wealthy straight white Christian male? Are you really so delusional as to make that sort of claim? Really?

by Anonymousreply 5512/02/2012

Hateful sows, all of them. I avoid them. Greedy white people, Religious nut jobs. I see these people for what they truly are now. Inherently evil.

by Anonymousreply 5612/02/2012

R53 shows how completely bankrupt his position is. Having no reasonable rebuttal (or even one that isn't obviously batshit crazy) he falls back on simple-minded mockery.

by Anonymousreply 5712/02/2012

Being "fiscally conservative," (I.e., advocating the distribution of wealth upward) is no more morally decent than being "socially conservative" (I.e., a bigot). People who try to label themselves with such so-called distinctions actually disgust me as much as the out-and-out homophobes who at least make no pretense to being anything but scum.

by Anonymousreply 5812/02/2012

R53 is disgusting. The Jew / Nazi comparison was apt.

by Anonymousreply 5912/02/2012

During my 20-plus years of being out, the overwhelming majority of gay men I've met and known are Republican.

It's a matter of greed; a backlash against progressive income taxes is now in vogue and politically correct. As education levels and incomes rise, societal concerns tend to decrease in priority. Most Americans, even gays, don't care how the national debt balloons if they believe their bank accounts will benefit from continual tax cuts. The GOP has taken full advantage of these factors in pandering to our society.

So if you have gay friends, you probably have Republican friends.

Liberal is not a dirty word, but I've watched the right-wing movement make it dirtier than butt-fucking without douching!

"When facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis(?)

"Ask not what your oountry can do for you, ask what you can do for your country." John F. Kennedy, 1961

by Anonymousreply 6012/02/2012

[quote]During my 20-plus years of being out, the overwhelming majority of gay men I've met and known are Republican.

You SERIOUSLY hang around in the wrong circles. Jesus.

I've known many gay republicans, but they've only ever been a TINY minority.

by Anonymousreply 6112/02/2012

R62, I'd rather be alone than with someone who considers me a second-class citizen, unworthy of equal rights, and who thinks it's perfectly fine for corporations to pollute the environment, and for rich people to rip off the poor.

by Anonymousreply 6312/02/2012

[quote]Did you know that Ruth Bader Ginsburg (the most liberal member of the Supreme Court) and Antonin Scalia (the most conservative member of the Supreme Court) have been inseperable best friends for decades?

A friendship that always baffled me was Ted Kennedy and Orrin Hatch. At Kennedy's wake, that raging dickhead of a conservative seemed absolutely grief-stricken.

by Anonymousreply 6412/02/2012

My partner is a moderate Republican. However, he voted for Obama twice.

by Anonymousreply 6512/02/2012

Obama is a moderate Republican, so that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 6612/02/2012

I was friends with a guy who was a Republican, until he realized I was Democrat, and then he just stopped talking to me. I liked him too. Thought he was pretty cool.

Actually, pretty much all of the Republicans I have known really have nothing to do with me. Family included.

by Anonymousreply 6712/02/2012

OP still thinks it doesn't affect his work environment, but it does. Just not to your face.

by Anonymousreply 6812/02/2012

Not really. I just don't understand why regular middle class people will vote against their own best interests. I don't deal in conversation with, them any more because its way to frustrating, and I don't like to hate.

by Anonymousreply 6912/02/2012

[quote] So much for liberal kindness and empathy.

You came HERE looking for kindness and empathy? Boy, did you ever hang a left at Albuquerque.

by Anonymousreply 7012/02/2012

Death to Republicans!

by Anonymousreply 7112/02/2012

[quote]Did you know that Ruth Bader Ginsburg (the most liberal member of the Supreme Court) and Antonin Scalia (the most conservative member of the Supreme Court) have been inseperable best friends for decades?

I do, because I was the one who first posted that tidbit here years ago and frequently repeat it on threads like this one, posted by narrow-minded people who just can't *fathom* the concept that not all Republicans detest gays and would ideally like to see us taken off to the camps and gassed. Ripping that tidbit off from me is perfectly fine, though. :-)

After many years on DataLounge, I've come to learn that many of its posters are incapable of thinking beyond black-and-white shades. X person is Democrat and thus *must* be good. Y person is Republican and thus *must* be evil. No room for equivocation or even ten, much less fifty, shades of grey. No acknowledgement of the *scores* of Democratic politicians, up to and including Hillary Clinton, who've never publicly voiced their support for gay marriage. No acknowledgement of what NYT columnist Frank Bruni aptly pointed out in his column today that Bill Clinton has never apologized for signing the only two laws that tangibly HAVE hurt America's gays on a national level. No concern that Obama maintained his opposition to gay marriage until well into the second half of his first term. Excuse after excuse about why two of America's most liberal states, California and New York, took so long to enact gay marriage (and in CA's case subsequently took it away at the polls via Prop 8). No acknowledgement that many of America's largest gay populations are in red-state cities like Houston, Dallas and Atlanta, and that discord between local gays and Republicans in those cities are extremely rare. (Hell, Houston even has a lesbian mayor!)

Times change, but not so much on DataLounge.

by Anonymousreply 7212/02/2012

I live in Houston, R73, and there is LOTS of discord between us local gays and the nasty country club Republicans. Our having a lesbian mayor is a triumph over them, not an ability to work with them.

by Anonymousreply 7312/02/2012

R74, by "discord" I meant physical attacks on gays, not mere disagreement with local rich Repubs. Famously liberal Austin has seen substantially more physical attacks on gays in recent years than Houston, actually.

by Anonymousreply 7412/02/2012

[quote]X person is Democrat and thus *must* be good.

Nobody here or elsewhere has EVER said any such thing. Liar.

[quote]Y person is Republican and thus *must* be evil.

These days (the last decade or so) it's pretty much true. They are either evil, or they're aiding and abetting evil, which is nearly the same thing (if not worse: the true evil happens when good people do nothing)

The modern republican party is the party of racism, sexism, homophobia, and xenophobia. It's the party of fear-mongering and war-mongering. As a party, they are anti-education, anti-union, anti-worker, anti-gay, anti-woman, anti-environment, and anti-science. They consistently reject proven reality and embrace proven lies. These are facts that you cannot deny.

[quote]No acknowledgement of the *scores* of Democratic politicians, up to and including Hillary Clinton, who've never publicly voiced their support for gay marriage. No acknowledgement of what NYT columnist Frank Bruni aptly pointed out in his column today that Bill Clinton has never apologized for signing the only two laws that tangibly HAVE hurt America's gays on a national level.

All of that is untrue. You're either blind (and probably willfully so, like so many Republicans are), or just oblivious.

[quote]No concern that Obama maintained his opposition to gay marriage until well into the second half of his first term.

Also untrue, and also kind of spinning the reality to make him sound worse than he was.

[quote]Excuse after excuse about why two of America's most liberal states, California and New York, took so long to enact gay marriage (and in CA's case subsequently took it away at the polls via Prop 8).

Again, not really. You don't read here much, apparently.

[quote]No acknowledgement that many of America's largest gay populations are in red-state cities like Houston, Dallas and Atlanta, and that discord between local gays and Republicans in those cities are extremely rare. (Hell, Houston even has a lesbian mayor!)

While there are of course some knee-jerk texas bashers here, I can assure you this isn't true at all. I myself have posted on these topics a lot.

So... basically you're a liar and an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 7512/02/2012

I do have a friend from grad school who I befriended on Facebook. I had a real hard time with some of his posts that were slamming Obama for no good reason. It seemed like thinly veiled racism to me. He clearly holds Obama in contempt, hinting at a seething hatred that I really don't understand.

by Anonymousreply 7612/02/2012

We all have to remind ourselves that there are a lot of people out there who don't put much more thought into whether they are Republican or Democrat than whether they're a Cowboys or Eagles fan. It depends on how they were raised and they never strayed, and dont spend ANY time reading about politics/issues and don't watch ANY cable news channels.

by Anonymousreply 7712/02/2012

[quote]Famously liberal Austin has seen substantially more physical attacks on gays in recent years than Houston, actually.

Gays in Austin are also substantially more "out" and substantially less isolated into gay ghettos. Gay bars and straight bars mix, and there is no real "gay neighborhood" anywhere, because gay people are everywhere.

And many of the attacks were by out-of-towners, in for one of Austin's many festivals and events that draw hundreds of thousands from around the state, and country.

Your anecdotal evidence here is unconvincing.

by Anonymousreply 7812/02/2012

R73, that's probably because we've never seen anything from the GOP but open hostility. And possibly because we're tired of Log Cabin and GoProud supporters showing up here and spouting bullshit like it's the fucking gospel. For example your claim that there was "No concern that Obama maintained his opposition to gay marriage until well into the second half of his first term" isn't even remotely true. There's been plenty of talk about that, and other issues we have had with him. But we know as bad as Obama has been he's light years ahead of Romney and the right-wing.

We know full well that the Democrats aren't perfect, but that doesn't somehow magically let the Republicans off the hook for all the awful shit they've done over the years.

by Anonymousreply 7912/02/2012

Liberal kindness and empathy are not the same as embracing enemies actively working for your demise, r62. It is the conservative belief that anyone who isn't solely self-interested must be a "sucker" which has repeatedly led you to underestimate the liberal ability to overcome you, since you assume that anyone with a moral compass stronger than Joseph Goebbels must be easy pickings. We're not; but just keep believing that as you circle the drain. Being enirely lacking in kindness and empathy does not magically transform one into Nietschean übermensch. It just makes you morally bankrupt and, ironically, quite wak.

by Anonymousreply 8012/02/2012

Except that all of them spend a shitload of time thinking of what they are fans of.

by Anonymousreply 8112/02/2012

A couple, but both keep pretty quiet about it and make a point out of telling me that the rest of their families are Democrats. Both work in finance and are socially liberal.

My uncle was a Repug until he came down with an expensive, terminal illness.

I suspect others in my life are but don't really want to know.

by Anonymousreply 8212/02/2012

R73, as a former Republican whose parents were both Republican politicians, I just have to laugh at your absurd argument. I never liked the Clintons, and still don't, but you are just a big liar if you think they were not miles better than the Republicans. It's not a question of presuming Democrats are all good and Republicans are all bad. It's a question of watching a political party, the Republicans, gradually become a violent criminal mafia with values incompatible with the most basic and elementary considerations of humanity. Are there corrupt Democrats? Yes. Are their homophobic Democrats? Yes. Are there cowardly Democrats who won't stand up to the nation's military and financial superstructure? Sadly, they seem to be a majority in the Democratic party. But Republicans set out decades ago on a path to where they now have no moral qualms about murdering innocent people or holding them with charge or legal representation, about genocidal foreign policy and domestic policy plans, and about looting the public purse for their friends with no thought to the impact on the whole nation. This isn't something that just came upon us in the Bush II era. It was accomplished at the top in the Reagan era, and has been filtering down across the party ever since. They are literally barbarians.

by Anonymousreply 8412/02/2012

Those were 6 good months without you, R88.

by Anonymousreply 8612/02/2012

I work in the chemical industry in the South - my colleagues are generally Republican. Although I find them close-minded, I am an on friendly terms with them. It is frustrating though to keep my political and religious beliefs to myself.

However, my more personal friends are generally all Democrats. I just don't seem to gravitate to republicans for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 8712/02/2012

I have some friends who are moderate Republicans. It's been getting more and more difficult for them to remain in the Party. They often don't vote for the Republican candidates past the primary stage because the winning nominees are too extreme.

They're willing to lose for a couple of cycles while they wait for tea party mania to pass.

by Anonymousreply 8912/02/2012

I agree R91, imagine what it would be like if there were thousands and thousands of websites dedicated to denigrating and attacking gay people, and several major religions opposed to our civil rights, and a whole American political party that included anti-gay discrimination in its official platform. Imagine how awful it would be if we were inundated by opposing words from these people on a daily and ongoing basis.

Can you imagine?

I'm so glad DL is the only place where gay people encounter opposing words.

by Anonymousreply 9012/02/2012

Wow, R93 just splashed jizz all over R91's face.

by Anonymousreply 9112/02/2012

I used to be. Then Obama was elected.

by Anonymousreply 9212/02/2012

R93, you are my hero.

by Anonymousreply 9312/03/2012

R87, I was thinking of that thread too when you brought it up. Of course it could just be a handful of insecure nitwits and not indicative of DL as a whole. And some might actually be Repugs, they certainly think like them.

by Anonymousreply 9412/03/2012

OP, why would you work with such people? Do you not have any morals or convictions? Stand up for yourself and get out of there!

by Anonymousreply 9512/03/2012

Not if I can help it.

by Anonymousreply 9612/05/2012

My cousin with whom I'm very close is a Republican. So are my aunts and uncles. But they *love* me and my partner. We summer with them on Mackinac Island every year and have a blast.

None get too political except my aunt, who rages at Obama like an insane person. Everyone else just laughs at her.

It's hard for me to hold it against them. Like I said, they love me and are pro-gay marriage. (which does blow my mind).

I guess you could say they are somewhat of a throwback to a more centrist type of Republican. Most of their issues are fiscal natch.

But DAMN do they hate Obama. I certainly dont know the man, but the way they demonize him and what they believe of his agenda is beyond irrational.

by Anonymousreply 9712/05/2012

Republicans have been removed from my circle, with very few exceptions.

by Anonymousreply 9812/05/2012

Yes, of the old-school centrist type. They're decent people, like r100 said.

I have no time for zealots on either end of the spectrum.

by Anonymousreply 9912/05/2012

R102 only has time to be mealy-mouthed and milquetoast.

by Anonymousreply 10012/05/2012

Funny, I've had exactly the opposite experience, r104.

Republican bigots.

by Anonymousreply 10212/05/2012

r100 if you don't know why your supposedly decent relatives hate Obama, you are not paying attention.

by Anonymousreply 10312/05/2012

R100, millions of other people besides your aunt believe that to be the case.

by Anonymousreply 10412/05/2012

R100...

[quote]It's hard for me to hold it against them. Like I said, they love me and are pro-gay marriage. (which does blow my mind).

How "pro-gay" can they be if the only place where it really matters -- the voting booth -- they vote AGAINST it?

[quote]I guess you could say they are somewhat of a throwback to a more centrist type of Republican. Most of their issues are fiscal natch.

There's no such thing as Centrist Republicans any more (at least not ones you can vote for). And financial issues? Republicans haven't been financially responsible or fiscally conservative since at least 1980, if not before. Not ONCE, when they got in control of the levers of power, did they actually reduce the size, scope, or power of government, or reduce the deficit or debt. There is ZERO EVIDENCE that Republicans are in any way fiscally conservative or responsible. Why this myth persists, is beyond me.

by Anonymousreply 10612/05/2012

The only republicans I know are moderates who refused to vote for Romney as he was too bat-shit crazy. They didn't vote for Obama but they also didn't vote for Romney and that was good enough for me.

by Anonymousreply 10812/06/2012

Dear R112: First off, putting the word "liberals" in quotes immediately flags you as an idiot. Second. thinking that you should be friends with people who do everything they can to hurt you does not make you an idiot. It makes you, well, the opposite of you.

by Anonymousreply 11012/06/2012

Liberals are NOT narrow minded.

Example: We hate republicans! Yet, you don't see us trying to take their rights away, preventing them from voting, or making it hard for them to find jobs.

Therefore it is republicans that are narrow minded because they think just because they don't like someone that makes it ok to screw them over and take their rights away.

by Anonymousreply 11112/06/2012

No, R115, you're just projecting. Like conservatives tend to do.

by Anonymousreply 11312/06/2012

no

Acquaintances but no friends

by Anonymousreply 11412/06/2012

Republican vs. Democrat is the biggest problem with this country.

by Anonymousreply 11512/06/2012

R118, no... Republicans are the problem. All by themselves.

by Anonymousreply 11612/07/2012

If narrow-minded means focused on important issues that matter, then yes, liberals are ethically tight.

Those broad-minded, scheming conservatives sure have a wide range of hate and anger...complete with a wide case of war-mania and moral outrage that consumes their broad-minded unethical methodology of deluded exclusions.

by Anonymousreply 11712/07/2012

A few.

Most of them, I've had reasonable conversations with. I've told them that I am open to more fiscally conservative idea if their party finds a non-asshole candidate who isn't subscribing to wingnut fuckery.

But I have a few friends and relatives I just have to tolerate with their birther/Obama is antiChrist BS.

by Anonymousreply 11812/07/2012

No.

by Anonymousreply 11912/07/2012

No. I have contempt for the destruction that party has brought to my country and don't want any part of their supporters. To me they are the equivalent of the Nazi party.

by Anonymousreply 12012/07/2012

[bold]Are you friends with any Republicans?[/bold]

No.

by Anonymousreply 12112/07/2012
Need more help? Click Here.