Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lingering cough likely to keep George H.W. Bush hospitalized

Dec. 1

1:59 PM EST

The Associated Press

HOUSTON (AP) — Former U.S. President George H.W. Bush remains in stable condition at a Houston hospital, but a lingering cough related to bronchitis likely will keep him there through the weekend.

Methodist Hospital spokesman George Kovacik said Saturday there is no change in the status of the 88-year-old Bush from earlier in the week. But Jim McGrath, a spokesman for the 41st president, said "he still has the cough and we're now not expecting him to be discharged this weekend."

McGrath said doctors are "going to play it safe there for obvious reasons."

Aides had expected his discharge soon, but McGrath said "the cough has taken longer to clear up" than anticipated.

Bush has been in and out of the hospital recently for complications resulting from bronchitis. He has been treated with antibiotics and steroids, and this marks Bush's second extended hospital stay since November.

Hospital visitors have included Bush's son, former President George W. Bush, and his wife Laura, who live in Dallas.

The former president has a form of Parkinson's disease that has forced him to use a wheelchair or motorized scooter to get around. Bush was seen a few weeks ago attending a Houston Texans NFL game, something he does frequently.

The elder Bush was vice president under Ronald Reagan from 1980 to 1988, when he was elected president. He lost his re-election bid to Bill Clinton four years later.

Bush and his wife, Barbara, now make their winter home in Houston and spend summers in Kennebunkport, Maine.

The former president was a naval aviator in World War II — at one point the youngest in the Navy — and was shot down over the Pacific. He achieved notoriety in retirement for skydiving on at least three of his birthdays since leaving the White House in 1992.

by Anonymousreply 2712/02/2012

Well, this is working out well for me.

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2012

We're Democrats here, R2 - we hate Repug scum like you. Are you just upset because it's been three days, and Cletus and the roadkill haven't come home yet?

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2012

I'm glad he has lived long enough to see Obama re-elected.

Obama being elected twice is partially a message from the people to the Bush family, afterall.

by Anonymousreply 412/01/2012

4 - Bush Senior actually gets on very well with Obama and he has been to the White House on several occasions and Obama has visited Texas to speak. Bush Senior was actually not a bad president, unlike today's republicans he actually raised taxes on the rich to tackle the deficit, he only went to war against Saddam with UN approval and he signed the Rio Protocol on climate change. He is much more moderate than his son was and a world away from the likes of Palin, Gingrich, Ryan, Santorum etc!

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2012

R2 showing the class of a Freeper.

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2012

R5, you are being very naive.

George H. W. Bush may have governed as a moderate when he was President, but don't forget that he has been working for the CIA all his life. He has done a lot of bad things in his time.

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2012

Not only that he supported the right drift of his son and others.

About the only thing he did we can genuinely support was defining HIV as a disability and getting the Americans With Disabilities Act adopted.

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2012

Bush Sr. was far more socially liberal than his son and got caught in the Reagan revolution crap and the demands of the fundamentalists beginning to claim political clout. He used to be a big supporter of Planned Parenthood and was known as "Rubbers" Bush at one point due to his support for this cause. But he bent to the demands of the right like every other Republican. The phenomenon was useful for many years, but it's catching up now. His legacy won't be as good as it could have been.

by Anonymousreply 912/01/2012

R5, Obama may "get along" with HW Bush, but he is not friendly with anyone outside his personal circle. That's one of Obama's main problems, and it affects his performance as president adversely. Bill Clinton on the other hand, is positively IN LOVE with the elder Bushes! Did you see Babs all over him at Obama's inaugural? But Bill Clinton became friends with Nixon in '93... Bill can (and wants) to befriend everyone, even if it's for his own purposes.

Elder Bush may be on the way out. The "lingering cough" may be or become pneumonia -- a major killer of the elderly. Of course, none of us would get the kind of healthcare he (or anyone in congress) gets.

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2012

R9, H.W. Bush changed into a conservative TO RUN WITH REAGAN. During the 1980 primaries, Bush was the moderate alternative to Reagan, pro-choice and everything. Once becoming a fake conservative and then president, he had to throw a bone to the right wing and one of them was Clarence Thomas. Not acceptable or forgivable. A fake conservative is as bad as a real one. As pres, Bush also dropped the ball many times on domestic issues -- he was okay, but deserved to be beaten in 1992.

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2012

H.W. Bush & his CIA friends may have been behind a lot of what went on during the Reagan years.

by Anonymousreply 1212/01/2012

Ah, yes, HW Bush, the only person alive at the time and over 4 who can't remember where they were when Kennedy was was shot. Actually, it was Dallas. He's truly evil but I'm sure he and Henry Kissinger bathe daily in the stem cells of thousands of South American and Africans.

by Anonymousreply 1312/01/2012

[quote]the only person alive at the time and over 4 who can't remember where they were when Kennedy was was shot. Actually, it was Dallas.

Why does this old bastard not want to reveal where he was that day?

by Anonymousreply 1412/01/2012

"So, why should I waste my beautiful mind on something like that, and watch him suffer."

by Anonymousreply 1512/01/2012

I'm torn. I want him to die horribly and painfully, of course, but I want him to confess before he does.

Fucking scum criminal traitor.

by Anonymousreply 1612/01/2012

10/11 - I would agree with that, as I said Bush Snr was not a bad president, although clearly not a great one either!

by Anonymousreply 1812/02/2012

I do hope it's nothing trivial.

by Anonymousreply 1912/02/2012

R17, Bush is the only President who was CIA DIRECTOR

by Anonymousreply 2012/02/2012

Whatever it takes!

by Anonymousreply 2112/02/2012

To R20's point, someone once wrote regarding George H.W. Bush that had the head of the secret services become president of any other country, it would be considered a dictatorship. I will note, however, that he was head of the C.I.A. only briefly.

by Anonymousreply 2212/02/2012

I got bronchitis! Ain't nobody got time for that!

by Anonymousreply 2312/02/2012

He's a decent guy. Hope he gets well soon.

by Anonymousreply 2412/02/2012

by Anonymousreply 2512/02/2012

[quote]Bush changed into a conservative TO RUN WITH REAGAN. During the 1980 primaries, Bush was the moderate alternative to Reagan, pro-choice and everything.

He even decried the trickle-down theory as "voodoo economics."

by Anonymousreply 2612/02/2012

SEE? People don't sit around and DIE in their apartments! Have a cough? Go to the hospital and get round-the-clock care and attention! You silly peasants!

by Anonymousreply 2712/02/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!