Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Reality Shows and Reality Competition Shows that have outlasted their welcome

Project Runway. What is the show even about anymore?

by Anonymousreply 2512/02/2012

Nope- it's a majority of the tv production happening.

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2012

Survivor. Jeff Probst irritating as hell, giving the play-by-play as the contestants try to solve the puzzle and run the obstacle course. "Tonight's winner will dine on steak and seafood at the spa on the nearby island, and soak in a hot tub and get a massage. The rest of you will eat that slimy shit on the beach you've been eating for the past six weeks and picking the roaches out of each other's hair." Oh for fuck's sake.

Why are people still watching this shit?

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2012

I know, R2. I hate when Jeff yells out at the competition about how so and so is sucking and not doing well. It's like, "hey guys, this is the weakest link - vote this one out!"

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2012

There was a recent article on Salon or Atlantic about how the All-Star seasons are reality TV's shark jumpers.

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2012

every single one of them, and every one that is yet to be forced out the can. the only 'realness' about any of these shows is the damage they do to humanity.

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2012

ANTN and AI.

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2012

Give it a rest, R6. You are ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2012

Most of them. They are incredibly formulaic in their approach: a good guy, a bad guy, a good one, a much older one, backstabbing, betrayal, confessions, reconciliations, crying, hugging, etc. Like a bad and boring daytime soap.

by Anonymousreply 912/01/2012

I stopped watching Survivor years ago because of Jeff Probst,his constant snarky and useless banter makes me want to reach through the screen and wring his ageing hipster neck!Also anything on MTV,When I found out they made it a point to supply a steady stream of booze to the people on The "Real" World and The Challenge I knew they were utter scum that would do anything to create drama for the sake of ratings.

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2012

R10 forgot to add "hisssss!"

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2012

I will continue to watch MTV's Challenge as long there are hot muscly guys in the casts that often wear speedos.

by Anonymousreply 1212/01/2012

All of them.

"Reality TV" has destroyed television.

by Anonymousreply 1312/01/2012

Big Brother USA. It's one of the worst shows ever. Anti-gay bigotry is rampant and allowed.

The Challenge. Very anti-gay.

by Anonymousreply 1412/01/2012

I bet you still watch them though, r14.

by Anonymousreply 1512/01/2012

[quote]"Reality TV" has destroyed television.

Some of the greatest television ever has aired in the past dozen years, aka the reality years.

by Anonymousreply 1612/01/2012

UK Reality TV is still great. I love The Apprentice UK and BB UK. They tend to be less sensationalized.

by Anonymousreply 1712/01/2012

Oh, dear! I don't know if I'll ever get through to you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1812/01/2012

R15 I've never watched The Challenge and I only watched a couple episodes of Big Brother in season one and two.

by Anonymousreply 1912/01/2012

They've all outlasted their welcome. What do you think will take their place? More reality shows.

by Anonymousreply 2012/01/2012

Project Runway is about fashion, obviously, but it doesn't have to be about anything anyway. At its core, a competition reality show is like a game show. Wondering who will get eliminated each week is fun and addictive. TV shows don't have to be deeply meaningful, they can just be fun escapism.

And the audience will decide when PR has outlasted its welcome. It's ratings have held steady for years, even after the move to Lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 2112/01/2012

Ignore the blatantly obvious if you will, but it's still the truth.

Not even the crappiest, most banal sitcom or dramatic show has had the impact that reality TV has had. Countless cable channels are now devoted to showing all reality shit all the time.

I never said there was nothing good currently on television, but if you think reality TV hasn't had a negative impact on our culture, and greatly dumbed it down, you're seriously delusional.

by Anonymousreply 2212/01/2012

Top Chef sucks now

by Anonymousreply 2312/01/2012

The Challenge at this point is just a showcase for violent and in some cases obviously mentally ill drunken fame whores to beat the shit out of eachother mentally and physically.

by Anonymousreply 2412/01/2012

American Idol

by Anonymousreply 2512/02/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!