Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gays and Cats

Why?

by Anonymousreply 14112/09/2012

Why not?

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2012

Easier for cat owners to stay out all night than for dog owners.

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2012

I hate cats. I also want to know why other gay men love those selfish creatures so much.

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2012

Cats are fluffy and more like people personality wise.

by Anonymousreply 412/01/2012

Dogs are very demanding. Cats are very easy to leave alone for a weekend. Just put enough food and water down and they are fine. They might be pissed because you left them alone all weekend but physically they will be fine.

R3 cats are not selfish, they are animals. They are affectionate and haughty at the same time. The only reason they were able to be domesticated was because it benefited them in some way. Besides, nothing is cuter or sweeter than a fluffy little kitten.

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2012

Cats make great pets. Most are smart, clean, friendly & affectionate. There's been a cat living in my house since my very earliest childhood memories. Can't imagine living without one (or two)!

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2012

I love cats because you can pet and talk to them while reading a book. Actually, they pet YOU while you're doing something else. They love it when you talk to them. Then they fall asleep. Dogs, on the other hand, want that damned ball tossed for a hour.

Dogs are very dependent and needy, cats much less so.

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2012

R6, you're an ass. Was that supposed to be funny? Couldn't tell, it was so ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 912/01/2012

R3, I don't trust any one who "hates cats".

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2012

I have a cat so I can pop off at work that I'm going home for a weekend of pussy-loving fun. It sounds so butch and confuses the hell out of the fraus who think they know everything about a obvious prancing prisspot.

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2012

Who cares? I don't need you to trust me, R10.

"The only reason they were able to be domesticated was because it benefited them in some way."

That's actually the definition of 'selfishness', R5...

by Anonymousreply 1212/01/2012

Of course they are selfish R3/12. So are people. Our instinct is to survive above all else. Besides, my kitties bring me little presents to show their love. Granted, they are lizards or birds and usually still alive necessitating their rescue but still it's a sweet gesture.

by Anonymousreply 1312/01/2012

People like R6 think they are funny. They aren't. People like R6 don't have friends. They don't.

by Anonymousreply 1412/01/2012

Only lesbians!

by Anonymousreply 1512/01/2012

I can't resist saying 'hi' and petting an animal but I'll never keep one indoors.

and pets in a trick's bedroom during sexy times takes the lead out the pencil

by Anonymousreply 1612/01/2012

Then I'm a proud male lesbian, because I love my kitty and take her with me everywhere I go. She's been to Australia, Britain, Netherlands, Spain, France, Czech R, Berlin and Turkey. She flies first class and never eats airline food.

by Anonymousreply 1712/01/2012

Cats are independent, only want you on their terms and prioritize their sensual needs above all else. They are essentially little men who poop in boxes.

by Anonymousreply 1812/01/2012

[quote]"The only reason they were able to be domesticated was because it benefited them in some way."

You think that isn't equally true for dogs? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 1912/01/2012

I watched some kind of cat show on Animal Planet last night where this big tattooed gay guy (or at least I'd guess) comes in and helps owners who have mental cats. Imagine the hilarity!

by Anonymousreply 2012/01/2012

I have a cat and I really don't care what anyone thinks of him or his specie.

You have to own a cat to know what they are really like. They are a bunch of neurotic hams. Quirky by nature. Loving yet aloof at the same time. Never a dull moment.

I forgot who said this but "dogs are prose and cats are poetry."

by Anonymousreply 2112/01/2012

r20 the guy's name is Jaxson Galaxy and the show is called "My Cat From Hell." It's a rip on the Dog Whisperer. He has a girlfriend and they each have their own cat. I think he's always been a cat lover. He credits a cat for basically saving his life. He was going through a rough patch with drugs and alcohol. Rock bottom. He was working at an animal shelter when this injured cat came to the shelter. It was going to be put to sleep and he took it home to heal it. Through the process of saving the cat, he realized that the cat was saving him, too. That cat inspired him to save other troubled cats. They became best buddies. The cat is now deceased.

Anyways, that's his story.

by Anonymousreply 2212/01/2012

Dogs: slobbery, loud, messy, needy, co-dependent, high-maintenance, stiff & uncuddly

Cats: clean, quiet, independent, low-maintenance, soft & cuddly

Cats for the win.

by Anonymousreply 2312/01/2012

I've love both dogs and cats. I wouldn't be without a cat, but dogs and high-rises don't really mix all that well. In my building, pets can't walk on the commons, so everyone must carry their pet or pull them in a cart. Cats are much easier to hand carry than dogs, but I will admit, cats are hard to pull in a cart.

I consider dogs to be like people as they should be, and cats are like real people.

by Anonymousreply 2412/01/2012

Aw, that's sweet, R22.

by Anonymousreply 2512/01/2012

[quote]They are essentially little men who poop in boxes.

I've heard cats described as little women in fur coats.

by Anonymousreply 2612/01/2012

gay men and women in fur coats are much alike. You r26, must be straight.

by Anonymousreply 2712/01/2012

R23 has been living in a hyperbaric chamber his whole life.

by Anonymousreply 2812/01/2012

No, R28, not at all.

by Anonymousreply 2912/01/2012

I'd always heard cats were independent and indifferent. We'd only had dogs growing up, so I had no experience. A couple of years ago, I took in a stray. At first she was jittery, sometimes she'd approach me, sometimes she'd run away. After a few months, she followed me inside the house (and nearly had a panic attack after I shut the door).

Well flash forward to now, and this is the neediest animal I've ever met. She follows me from room to room, screaming more than meowing. If she's not sitting/sleeping right beside me, she wants me to hold her when I'm walking.

by Anonymousreply 3012/01/2012

R19, of course it's true of dogs as well. Our dog is "man's best friend", fixing us with his soulful brown eyes (and drooling) when we're eating something he wants.

We have 2 cats and a dog and I don't find the dog to be messier than the cats. Granted, he is 100% housetrained, so that's not an issue, but he tracks in dirt from the outside and drools. The cats, on the other hand, track litter all over the house and scratch furniture. As for barfing, I'd say the cats have a slight edge but the dog barfs occasionally as well. Bottom line, if you're a neat freak, you probably shouldn't have pets.

The dog is definitely more dependent and a big whiner. He lies down by his food dish and moans if the food is not to his liking. He also hates to be left alone. The cats do quite well on their own but they are always glad to see us and they both love attention. One of them gets on his hind legs and taps my back when I'm on the computer and jumps up on the desk and "pets" me.

All three of them are affectionate guys with lots of personality and I can't imagine life without them.

by Anonymousreply 3112/01/2012

Cats are the greatest pets

by Anonymousreply 3212/01/2012

I love my pussy!

by Anonymousreply 3312/01/2012

I love both cats and dogs but I will always prefer cats because they make such hassle-free pets in comparison to dogs. My ideal is to have both when I'm older (esp if I can live by the sea and take my doggy for a walk on the beach regularly). In the meantime my cats are perfect companions who I can leave to their own devices when I'm at work or even if I go away for a couple of days.

Plus cats generally live longer, are less smelly, more independent and a bit brighter than dogs IMHO...

by Anonymousreply 3412/01/2012

Slightly off-topic, but has anyone read 'A Sreetcat Named Bob' about a homeless man in London who adopted a stray cat which ended up pretty much turning his life around? I've seen this guy in the Covent Garden area with his gorgeous cat on his shoulders and the book made me smile from ear to ear.

Seems like they found each other just when they needed to - puts me in mind of my beautiful ginger tom who has been a real comfort to me through some of the darkest times of my life. A must-read for cat-lovers!

by Anonymousreply 3512/01/2012

Quiet? Has anyone ever had a Siamese? They yak their heads off. I've known some, would never own one. Strays and rescue cats are for me. I adopted a 2 year old cat because I'm too old to go through the baby stuff again. She adapted well, and is one of the friendliest and affectionate cats I've ever had. The most well behaved too.

DO NOT travel with a cat. I don't believe the post about taking the cat all over the world. Cats are territorial and do not like a change in their environment. I also will NEVER let a cat outside by itself again -- too dangerous. If they don't go out, they don't miss it.

by Anonymousreply 3612/01/2012

Very creative video, on what'd you face if you had roommates who acted like a dog and a cat. They pretty much nail it. :)

by Anonymousreply 3712/01/2012

Siamese are the exception that proves the rule. And as much as I love cats, I cannot stand Siamese cats. They're ugly, prone to ill health, and LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS AS FUCK.

by Anonymousreply 3812/01/2012

I've seen people traveling with cats just fine. It really depends on the cat. Most don't travel well, but some certainly do.

by Anonymousreply 3912/01/2012

Cats are favored by lazy people.

by Anonymousreply 4012/01/2012

The guy who plays the dog in that is hot, R37. I got kind of turned on when he sniffed the other guy's butt.

by Anonymousreply 4112/01/2012

R40 = farvored by no one

by Anonymousreply 4212/01/2012

> Cats are favored by lazy people.

I read an article that suggests the opposite, and I can see his point.

"Dog people" are lazy folks who need instant gratification. Dogs love their people unconditionally, will come when you call them, always want to please you. There's no challenge there.

Cats, on the other hand, are more particular. If you want your cat to like you, let alone love you, you have to EARN that, and it often is not easy. There a lot more satisfaction when a cat seems to acknowledge: "You know, you're OK ... for a human!" :)

by Anonymousreply 4312/01/2012

I'm not sure what that means. I have two cats and I seem to spend an enormous amount of time shoveling waste out of litter boxes. (The person/s who invented clumping litter deserve/s the Nobel prize in chemistry). I also devote time cuddling, petting, brushing, feeding, and washing their dishes.

I drove cross country with my cats, literally coast to coast when I moved. It took five days and they were most certainly not happy (there was lots of meowing the first day) but they settled down after day one and I didn't even have to drug them.

I find cats to be elegant, clean, loving, inquisitive, fun and goofy. And they don't bark. What's not to love?

by Anonymousreply 4412/01/2012

Isn't that what some used to say about people who drove cars with automatic transmissions?

by Anonymousreply 4512/01/2012

I'm floofy and I know it.

by Anonymousreply 4612/01/2012

I fell a little in love with Karl Lagerfeld when I found out he, too, is a crazy cat lady. Oh, to have Choupette s life (his cat)

by Anonymousreply 4712/01/2012

I'm a dog person at heart but cats are more practical if you're living in an apartment. I'd love to have a dog but keeping it confined in my apartment while I'm away at work all day would be cruel. My two cats entertain each other while I'm away and limited space isn't an issue.

by Anonymousreply 4812/01/2012

I think it's an individual thing. I have had both cats and dogs. Love them both, but cats fit with me better. Dogs are so much work. The family pet was always a cat. I didn't have dogs growing up. But my ex and I had them and I loved them very much. Cats, I don't know, I just have a bond with them. I love their independence and self-sufficiency (just wish they'd change their own boxes!). I did have one cat that I loved dearly but my God, he was stuck to me like glue and acted more like a dog. Drove me crazy. I'll always have a cat. Who knew someone who liked dick so much could be into pussy?

by Anonymousreply 4912/01/2012

I've never been in a cat owners' home that didn't smell like cat piss.

by Anonymousreply 5012/01/2012

That's nice, R30.

by Anonymousreply 5112/01/2012

R51, that's because some male cats spray their piss to mark territory. Doesn't have to happen. First, neuter your cat. Second, don't have multiple cats because they compete for territory.

My male stray that I had since he was 2 weeks old, was a notorious sprayer when in a house with three other cats. In my apt alone, he was perfect and never peed out of the box.

BTW, this cat chased women cats even after he was neutered. Almost had his head taken off my some of them.

by Anonymousreply 5212/01/2012

Arguing one is better than the other is silly. Cats are not all the same, and neither are dogs.

[quote]r23 Dogs: slobbery, loud, messy, needy, co-dependent, high-maintenance, stiff & uncuddly

[quote]Cats: clean, quiet, independent, low-maintenance, soft & cuddly

Not at all. My dog does not slobber, is very quiet, does not shed and is very cuddly. She is on the sensitive side though. The cat is a pigpen. He's got long hair that sheds and gets crap in it (sometimes literally). He doesn't like grooming himself. He starts being noisy within an hour of dinner time. He wrecks stuff and makes it nearly impossible to get anything done in the kitchen. He's pretty easy-going but hardly low-maintenance.

by Anonymousreply 5312/01/2012

An eldergay cat hissed at me.

by Anonymousreply 5412/01/2012

That's because your cat is a messy straight boy, r54!

by Anonymousreply 5512/01/2012

My friend has this theory that women love cats because a cat is the approximate weight of an infant and it strikes some sort of primeval cord in a female to hold a nursing child to her breast.

Men hate cats because cats have a phallic shaped tail that is longer than the average man's penis and they are threatened by that.

My friend is being facetious but you have to admit it's pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 5612/01/2012

More insane than funny, r57

by Anonymousreply 5712/01/2012

Because kitties are CUTE.

And you can hold them like babies.

And they PURR.

'Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 5812/01/2012

Cats purr too r59.

by Anonymousreply 5912/01/2012

Gay men just love pussy(cat)!

by Anonymousreply 6012/01/2012

My Siamese cat thinks he's a dog. I've always been a dog person but he's so personable. He loves all people, plays tug of war with toys and even growls when someone's at the door.

by Anonymousreply 6112/01/2012

Here's my theory about the appeal of cats: They're the only living things that you can spoil rotten.

If you spoil a human or a dog rotten, it will get nasty and turn on you. If you pamper and indulge a cat, you have a happy cat.

by Anonymousreply 6212/01/2012

I love cats because they're affectionate and expressive and cuddly and funny.

by Anonymousreply 6312/01/2012

One of my cats beat the shit out of dog last night. The dog was covered with scratches and bleeding. Kitty is fine.

Go Kitty!

by Anonymousreply 6412/02/2012

The thing about women liking cats and men liking dogs is more about the men and the dogs.

Many STRAIGHT men don't like cats because they can't dominate and control them. Cat say fuck off to that shit or run off and hide. You can't teach a cat to be your slave. A lot of men, especially straight ones, can't handle that.

Did you that it's documented that very few single men have cats? They mostly have cats when they're coupled with women. I assume gay men were not counted in the study.

by Anonymousreply 6512/02/2012

[quote]If you pamper and indulge a cat, you have a happy cat.

That's true. However, the cat will expect/demand not only more of the same, but even better. If it wants breakfast at 4am & you oblige, it will eventually start crying for food at 3:30am. Etc., etc., etc......

by Anonymousreply 6612/02/2012

You have to be the boss, or the parent, in your relationship with a cat or they'll walk all over you.

Do not feed the cat people food or feed them at 4:00AM. They need a schedule. I do sometimes cut up small pieces of chicken and give it to her AFTER she finished her dinner sometimes, maybe once a week. I do not believe in letting them nibble all day because it attracts insects. Dry food for breakfast and half a small can of wet food for dinner.

Pamper your cat with kindness not food.

by Anonymousreply 6712/02/2012

BTW, I give her the BRAND name can food -- that's how I pamper her. She hates the generic and she'll eat most anything.

by Anonymousreply 6812/02/2012

r17 there is a 6 month quarantine on cats (and probably other animals) if you want to bring them into the UK. How did you get around that?

by Anonymousreply 6912/02/2012

My dad loves cats. His mom was a crazy cat lady. Your eyes started to water from the amonia a foot from the front door. I don't even understand why she had litterboxes as they all were indoor/outdoor cats. Grandma Kitty didn't like me much. There's a picture of me as an infant flipping her the bird.

by Anonymousreply 7012/02/2012

[quote]Many STRAIGHT men don't like cats because they can't dominate and control them.

Exactly. It's a control thing. I avoid men who hate cats like the plague because of this. I don't want to be manipulated or controlled either.

by Anonymousreply 7112/02/2012

My two cats do their play fighting (batting each other with their paws) but stop right in the middle and start grooming themselves. Is this normal?

by Anonymousreply 7212/02/2012

Yes, R73.

by Anonymousreply 7312/02/2012

R74 why do they do that?

by Anonymousreply 7412/02/2012

Never date a man with a cat.

They ain't right.

by Anonymousreply 7512/02/2012

Grooming and playing are activities on the same spectrum, r73. Cats only play-fight with other cats whom they like and trust.

Cats that are play-fighting generally take turns being the aggressor and the attacked, both are willing to expose their throats and bellies to the other, neither makes a move to run away, and it's generally non-vocal play unless one of them gets too rough.

Among cats that like and trust each other, grooming will often turn into a boxing or wrestling match, and a fierce play battle might end up with the cats all grooming each other or themselves.

by Anonymousreply 7612/02/2012

Thanks r77

by Anonymousreply 7712/02/2012

Hissss!

by Anonymousreply 7812/02/2012

R51, that may be true of the homes you've been in. But I know for a fact that my house doesn't smell like cat urine. And I have cat-owning friends whose homes smell clean and fresh.

Here's why the homes of some cat owners smells like piss: They simply do not clean. Either they don't clean the litter box on a regular basis, or they don't clean up accidents after cats have peed outside of their litter box. And let me assure you, there are only three real reasons why a cat will pee outside of his litter box: health problems, trauma (he's being attacked by another pet while in the box, for instance) or A DIRTY LITTER BOX.

I've known people who think their cat is being devious when it pees outside of the litter box. The reality is, a cat prefers the box. He is in distress if he won't use it. A cat has to be taken to the doctor when it starts having litter box problems. And in my opinion, owners who don't take them to the vet should not be pet owners.

If someone's house smells like cat urine, it is not the cat's fault.

by Anonymousreply 7912/02/2012

LOL, r80. Have you never heard of an unneutered male peeing outside the box to spread his scent?

by Anonymousreply 8012/03/2012

R70 The UK has changed the 6 month quarantine bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 8112/03/2012

My girls like a clean box so I comply.

by Anonymousreply 8212/03/2012

The under 30s, male and female, are all pro-cat now, thanks to LOLCats. They want cats over dogs. Anonymous will ruin your life if you dare harm a cat.

Cats don't bullshit you, and they clean up after themselves. They don't need to be walked either. Then there's the whole rodent situation.

There are a lot of benefits to having a cat, if you want a pet.

People live longer for some reason if they have a cat.

by Anonymousreply 8312/03/2012

Every cat owner I have ever encountered or observed is a mental case.

by Anonymousreply 8412/03/2012

[italic]The thing about women liking cats and men liking dogs is more about the men and the dogs.

Many STRAIGHT men don't like cats because they can't dominate and control them. Cat say fuck off to that shit or run off and hide. You can't teach a cat to be your slave. A lot of men, especially straight ones, can't handle that.

Did you that it's documented that very few single men have cats? They mostly have cats when they're coupled with women. I assume gay men were not counted in the study.[/italic]

Under 30 males have cats now more than ever. It's the hipster animal of choice.

It doesn't seem as though the cat craze will end anytime soon. It's all cat vids, hilarious cat memes, gifs, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8512/03/2012

My neutered 1.5 year old cat decided he liked the plush feeling of the rug in my spare room to do his biz. No health problems, total privacy in his litter box and no issues with cleanliness or type of litter, since he still also used the litter box. He's such a dirty boy even the dog gives him the side-eye.

by Anonymousreply 8612/03/2012

It's a huge turn-off when a man has a cat.

Equally true when a woman has a cat.

But even a bigger turn-off when a man had a cat.

by Anonymousreply 8712/03/2012

By the looks of this thread the stereotype of gays and cats is pretty accurate. The cat people I know are a little nutso.

by Anonymousreply 8812/03/2012

I like a man who likes all animals. If someone just likes dogs I think they lack empathy or something is wrong with them. I don't understand people who say "I hate cats/dogs" because it probably stems from some childhood trauma they need to deal with already and get over it.

by Anonymousreply 8912/03/2012

I love dogs and I love babies, but I'd never have either.

I'm a cat guy. I adopted a 12 year old cat earlier this year. His owner died and the cat ended up in the shelter. He was grieving and scared when I got him. Now that he's settled in like he owns the joint he's showing a lot more of his personality. He's pretty cool. He's most affectionate when I completely ignore him.

by Anonymousreply 9012/03/2012

I've never noticed anyting about "gays and cats" in all my adult life. I have two, and I love all animals. I would have a dog if my lifestyle did not make it diffcult (have to walk dogs at least twice a day in the city) etc.

Few things more wonderful in life than the companionship and love from a cat or dog in my opinion. I just wish they lived longer so I did not have to lose them.

by Anonymousreply 9112/03/2012

R91, good for you in adopting an older cat from a shelter! Too many people just go for the cute kittens, who have little problems finding a home.

My cat is 13, and I've had him since he was 7 months old. And he continues to "train" me to do what he wants his human to do. He's very patient with me. He loves the attention of all people, and will actually entertain and play with kids who visit with their parents. At least a dozen people have told me that, if I ever need to find him a new home, they want to be the one to be called.

By the way, he was neutered before I got him, and he has NEVER pissed or crapped outside of his litterbox. It's a big box, and I replace the litter twice a week. If it gets bad, he howls in the box to let me know "It's time!" I have a Febreeze plug-in on the wall next to his litterbox, and many have remarked, once they see I have a cat, that there is absolutely no odor, even if you enter the spare room where the litterbox is located.

by Anonymousreply 9212/03/2012

It's creepy when a man has a cat.

by Anonymousreply 9312/03/2012

I had a Siamese cat who sounded like Eliza Doolittle with all of his owwwwwwahhhs....awwshhhh. I'd get off the elevator at my building and he'd start in. Had him 18 years and he was high maintenance. Now have two black ones and it's pretty noise free around here.

by Anonymousreply 9412/03/2012

Why R94?

When I discover that someone loves animals (whether cats, dogs, chipmunks- one of my favorites, large preditors, grazing aminlas, you name it) I tend to think of them in a more favorable light.

And visa versa, although there are no hard rules. But I met someone who did not want to become my friend based on the fact that I have two kitties- they are not friend worth having. It's almost kind of like being racist in my view. Kind of sad too.

by Anonymousreply 9512/03/2012

R91, you sound pretty cool yourself for adopting an older cat. And R95, what a great description of a Siamese's voaclizations! And good for you for giving two black cats a home.

by Anonymousreply 9612/03/2012

I broke up with someone who was allergic to cats. Shame, he was the hottest guy I ever knew. But I knew there was no future for me with someone who can't be around cats.

by Anonymousreply 9712/03/2012

I detest people who give up their pets, whether dogs or cats, for a potential bf/gf due to allergies (there are meds for that) or simply "I'm not into animals" attitudes. I've known several couples where one had to give up longtime pets for the other and they always ended up splitting up eventually and the poor animal shuffled off, or worse yet, taken to a shelter where it potentially ended up being put down.

by Anonymousreply 9812/03/2012

I've no idea.

by Anonymousreply 9912/03/2012

[quote]I detest people who give up their pets, whether dogs or cats, for a potential bf/gf due to allergies (there are meds for that) or simply "I'm not into animals" attitudes. I've known several couples where one had to give up longtime pets for the other and they always ended up splitting up eventually and the poor animal shuffled off, or worse yet, taken to a shelter where it potentially ended up being put down.

The #1 reason for this at shelters: "With our new baby, we just don't have the time he or she needs! It's not fair to Rover/Fluffy!"

And so, for purely altruistic reasons (eyeroll), a perfectly happy and well-behaved animal is now dumped at the shelter, where it's confused and scared.

by Anonymousreply 10012/03/2012

Dealbreaker.

by Anonymousreply 10112/04/2012

Yes, R101, I had a beautiful Siberian Husky, white with blue eyes, who was left at the shelter because her human companion got married and they got pregnant. The wife was worried about the precious baby and made husband get rid of the dog. That dog was the most well-behaved, gentle animal and did well with kids, never barked, just woo-wooed and howled occasionally and was very good in the house.

I get really pissed at the excuses of some people to dump animals.

by Anonymousreply 10212/04/2012

My favorites are the ones who write rescue groups asking for their pets to be taken. Of course their pets are the most wonderful pets ever who have been spoiled rotten and loved beyond compare for past 9 years. It's with a heavy heart they have to give up Fido because they're getting married, just had a baby, they're moving or someone developed an allergy. Fido should only go to the best adopters who will love him just as much as they have.

What's wrong with these people? First it's a tough life out there for rescue animals. Do they think there's an overwhelming demand for senior cats and dogs? Second, they think they're in a position to demand the best for their pets when they're giving them up?

I'm not saying there is never a legit situation when a pet has to go. But it should be the very, very, very last option and owners have an obligation to work every option before they give up their pets. You took on that responsibility when you brought home a living being.

by Anonymousreply 10312/04/2012

Giving up a pet that is in its twilight years is basically giving it an early death. Senior cats and dogs are often the first to go to the gas chamber. It's heartless. Having a baby is not a good reason to get rid of a pet, especially one that has been part of the family its entire life. Babies/kids and pets are not mutually exclusive.

by Anonymousreply 10412/04/2012

"But I have to bring little Travon home to an antiseptic, sterile environment free of any allergens!"

by Anonymousreply 10512/04/2012

[quote]I get really pissed at the excuses of some people to dump animals.

How about these assholes? I guess the dog was too much for their new pristine house.

[italic]Earlier this year, they downsized from a house with more than 3,000 square feet to one that is half that size, cutting their property taxes in half and their aggravation even more.

There has been one sad downside to the downsizing, though. The new house, the Kellys realized, was too small for a dog the size of Toby. So he has gone to live with a family that has a bigger house, as well as another collie to keep him company.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 10612/04/2012

I think that's actually a good deal for the dog, r107. It has bigger space to run around and a new friend to keep it company. At least it will have a home to live out the rest of its days.

My issue has always been with people who go to shelters or rescue groups with sorry ass excuses and expecting some miracle that their "beloved" dog/cat will find the perfect family. That ain't going to happen, people. Your dog/cat is a senior and no one wants to take on the inevitable health crisis and ensuing vet bills.

by Anonymousreply 10712/04/2012

If you look at the pictures of their new home, R108, there seems to be plenty of space for a dog (there's a garden, too). It's not like they moved into a 500sq ft Manhattan walk up.

Yes, they found a good home for the dog, but it seems the decision was made for convenience, not necessity.

by Anonymousreply 10812/04/2012

Most gays deserve cats. The whole thing really completes the picture...LOL it's very similar to dykes in their flannel shirts.

by Anonymousreply 10912/04/2012

If they actually did the work of finding a good home to rehome their pets, then I give them credit. Especially if the pet is going off to a better living situation. I just find the ones who want to pass the buck onto the shelters and rescue groups reprehensible. Especially when they are demanding and/or have flimsy excuses.

by Anonymousreply 11012/04/2012

Shelters lie to pet owners. They'll tell them that Fluffy has a good chance at adoption to get rid of them and send them away guilt-free. Three days later Fluffy is most likely dead. I was talking to a cop who patrols my area and he said he used to have a side job working for the county animal shelter. Three days is the max and they had freezers full of dead animals stacked to the ceiling. He said it was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 11112/04/2012

You can't beat dogs for love and devotion. You can't beat cats for being self sufficient. I love both but wouldn't make a dog live in my condo. My cat seems to like it and is mostly pretty affectionate.

by Anonymousreply 11212/04/2012

r112 I don't believe you at all. Shelters often have to turn away people who want to dump their pets if it is full. Many shelters are at the max. They will tell these heartless people that senior cats have a difficult time being adopted out.

You know, it costs money to house the animals and sadly, to euthanize them.

It's people like r112 who make animal shelters look heartless when in fact it's people who think their pets are so disposable. Shelters do the job no one else wants to do.

Everyone talks about loving cats and dogs and they go online to watch cute cat videos. Yet, when pets become inconvenient, they are disposed of. Either set free (as in the case of cats) or just dropped off at the shelter for the workers to deal with.

by Anonymousreply 11312/04/2012

I got Smokey D. Katt, about 7 months old, from a local no-kill shelter, which had rescued him from the county pound. I was amazed how much they do for the animals in their care, with both cats and dogs in "dayrooms" - filled with toys and stuff to climb on - rather than cages, so you can see how they interact with each other and with people. Kittens and "senior" (over 15) cats were in dayrooms with their peers, and they even had a room with cats with (non-contageous)medical problems, including diabetes or missing limbs. They even guarantee that they will take an animal back at any time, for any reason, if you no longer can care for it.

Now in his 12th year, Smokey is the mascot for my tax practice. Clients love to play with him, and he has his own business cards, identifying him as "Smokey D. Katt, CPA" (Contently Purring Animal)

My business and I have have been donors to them every year since. One year, I included in a mailing to my clients a "note from Smokey" asking for donations to the shelter, his "alma mater", and talking about the great work they do. The shelter called me to let me know they received over $1,500 in donations from people who mentioned "Smokey D. Katt" as their referral source!

Link to the shelter's site (in Phoenix AZ) is below.

by Anonymousreply 11412/04/2012

One more reason to love the Tax Troll!

Fantastic. I volunteer with a no kill cat shelter also. We don't quite have such a great setup, but we do give thousands of cats each year a chance from being killed. We rescue them from rural high kill shelters and bring them to the DC area.

by Anonymousreply 11512/04/2012

I don't understand people who give up their pets either. I had never had an adult shelter cat until I lost another shelter cat I had adopted as a kitten. I went in thinking I'd get a kitten again. Instead I fell in love with a 5 year old ginger tabby. BEST cat I have ever had. The excuse from his prior owner, who had him declawed, neutered, all his shots were up-to-date, was that he or she couldn't afford him anymore. What? He has an amazing personality, gets along with kids, dogs, people, etc. My current vet's office absolute loves him and the assistants fight over who gets to help when I bring him in. Unthinkable that someone just dumped him at a shelter. I'm glad I saved him and I'll always adopt adult cats from now on since they have less of a chance of getting a good home.

by Anonymousreply 11612/04/2012

I'm thinking about bringing this guy home.

by Anonymousreply 11712/05/2012

He's gorgeous r118. I love white kitties.

by Anonymousreply 11812/05/2012

Cats and dogs both have common characteristics. Cats will bond to a human, as I write I have an 11lb. female cat names Angie in my lap.

As others have mentioned, you can go away for a week if someone can look in on the cat and no harm done.

However if you're gone for more than a couple days, when you get back the cat is going to be a little, what's the word I'm looking for, pissy. They have a slight attitude toward you but after you're home for a few hours they're fine.

Dogs on the other hand - they bond to humans a little too strongly. To the point where if you leave a dog with food, water and place to relieve itself, the dog is likely to also eat the living room sofa because of separation anxiety.

Plus I'm allergic to dogs, but not to cats.

by Anonymousreply 11912/05/2012

Question My cat crawls up on me when I turn off the lights at night. She gets up on my chest and lays flat out and puts her little face right up on mine. She purrs like a freight train and wags her tail while I pet her. This has become a nightly routine for about 5 minutes. Is this normal?

Pretty r118. Go for it.

by Anonymousreply 12012/05/2012

Yes r121. Very much normal. My cat sleeps on me every single night. He weighs 17lbs mind you. He likes to ignore me the rest of the day (except mealtime) but at night, he insists on cozying up. During winter, cats will seek warmth with body heat.

by Anonymousreply 12112/05/2012

But she doesn't stay. She hops down after 5 minutes are so. It's like shes giving me a little love and then off to do her own thing. It's kind of sweet. My other cat sleeps between my legs in the winter.

by Anonymousreply 12212/05/2012

Yes, R121. I have one who will sleep with me every night and if I lock him out he will cry until I let him in. He always curls up right behind my knees where they are bent (I sleep on my side). My other cats sleep wherever.

My other cat had a bathroom ritual with me. When I showered in the tub/shower combo he would jump on the ledge and when started toweling off he would get up on his back legs lean his front paws on me and rub all over the towel purring like crazy while I scratched his ears. If I locked him out he claw and scratch at the door. Unfortunately, I moved to a new place with an enclosed shower so he can't do this anymore.

by Anonymousreply 12312/05/2012

My cat cries when I shower. She is fascinated by the water yet terrified of it.

by Anonymousreply 12412/05/2012

> My cat cries when I shower

She thinks the water is attacking you! When I first got him from the shelter, Smokey used to stand about five feet back when I showered, let out a howl, then give me an "OMG! I was so afraid for you! Who would feed me?" look when I turned off the shower. Eventually, he started checking out the oversize shower stall in the master bath that I use, and would run around in it (always counter-clockwise, after first stretching a bit at the entranse to the shower stall) for four or five laps. Strange kitty. :)

R121, the only thing strange about what your cat does is the tail wagging. Unlike dogs, cats generally don't wag their tails because they are happy or content. Depending on how fast and wide the wag, it could mean fear, uncertainty, hunting, or (if very slow and pausing occasionally) deep in thought. Could be thinking "OK, he likes this, so I have to remember to do this before I want anything from him. No sense wasting it now. LATER!" :)

by Anonymousreply 12512/05/2012

The current feline resident, Angie, is a vocal girl.

When she wants something she definitely lets you know.

In fact she was a cat I adopted from the pound when she was 3 years old.

by Anonymousreply 12612/05/2012

R126. I didn't realize she thinks the water is attacking me. I just thought she wanted to get at the water herself but as afraid.

by Anonymousreply 12712/05/2012

R73, mine are the opposite--every mutual cleaning session always, always ends in hurt feelings and fisticuffs. Sometimes it just ends in one swipe and each walking off with one eye trained on the enemy. Other times, it ends in punching, scratching and body pin downs. They're supposed to be sisters.

by Anonymousreply 12812/05/2012

R121. My cats tail wagging is very friendly not defensive at all. She laying on my chest looking at me, purring up a storm and I'm petting her. The tail is going 90 to nothing. It's very sweet. She's adorable.

by Anonymousreply 12912/06/2012

When I'm in the shower, my water loving cat uses the time to go thru the lower kitchen cabinets.

by Anonymousreply 13012/06/2012

My male cat is kind of immature. He lives with his mom and sister and an unrelated bitch cat.

A few times i heard him crying like a sad, scared lost kitten. I would go downstairs, calling him and he would pop up and look at me like, "What? What do YOU want?"

I eventually found out that he was going into a tiny (non working) shower in the downstairs bath, going behind the shower curtain and liner and crying as if he had no idea where he is.

I think he is reliving some event from his kitten hood. And he must be OCD, because he does it at least once a day, or at night.

by Anonymousreply 13112/06/2012

R129 I have two who do that too. Usually it's pretty tame but several times it's gotten pretty wild with them rolling across the floor snarling and throwing punches. It's usually the youngest cat getting the upper hand but when the older one has had enough it gets wild.

by Anonymousreply 13212/07/2012

Do any of your cats make biscuits on your tummy? it's so sweet but kind of ouchy

by Anonymousreply 13312/08/2012

One of my cats makes biscuits in my armpits, crotch, lap and sides. Good thing I trim her claws every couple of weeks. Usually it's more ticklish than anything. Once it starts to hurt, I know it's time for the bi-weekly trim.

by Anonymousreply 13412/09/2012

Growing up, one of the entertaining parts of Sunday dinner was the old Siamese putting her claws into my dad's ass. We had these Queen Anne chairs with a lot of space in the back. We'd all sit down, Dad would start praying, and then let out a 'Son of a Bitch!' The old cat would then race off.

In later years, you could hear when they awoke. You'd hear the cat yowl and then my dad would yell, "Well, dammit! Get out from under my feet!" It was a ritual.

by Anonymousreply 13512/09/2012

l

by Anonymousreply 13612/09/2012

I adopted a scrawny, gray tabby with a skin condition from the shelter. He plumped up and his bumpy skin healed. (The vet said it was stress-related). Eight years later and he's still a wonderful cat. I'm glad I took him because no one else would have. He is so regal I named him Man-Cat.

by Anonymousreply 13712/09/2012

R137 Are you bumping this thread or did you have a stroke??

by Anonymousreply 13812/09/2012

Question

My cats love to roll around on top of wet laudrey after I take it out of the washer. Is this normal?

by Anonymousreply 13912/09/2012

R139, some idiot doesn't know how to put threads in her threadwatcher without posting in them so types single letters in the ones she's interested in after she clears her cookies. It's probably D a v i d a.

by Anonymousreply 14012/09/2012
Need more help? Click Here.