Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Ordering a bottle of wine in a group setting...

My partner and I will be on a cruise ship. We'll probably be sitting with strangers at dinner. We usually get assigned with straight, single ladies. If we order a bottle of wine, I want the wine to be just for the two of us and not for the table. Is that rude? Or should I just order wine by the glass?

by Anonymousreply 712/02/2012

Why would that be rude? You're not "dining" with them, right? You're just sharing a table. I say that it's perfectly acceptable to order a bottle of wine for you and your bf. But I would also feel weird about ordering a bottle in this situation, because I know people. Someone WILL decide they're going to partake of the bottle of wine. Never fails. And then what? You'll feel like you can't say no because you have good manners. But some asshole is gonna drink your wine and not even offer to pay for it. People suck.

Sorry, OP, I know I haven't helped. I feel for your situation, though. I'm interested in what other posters have to say on this matter.

by Anonymousreply 112/01/2012

By the glass if you don't plan on sharing. It will remove all tension and guilt that comes with the instinct of coveting a bottle, and the single ladies won't be tempted to be sweet to you just to get some of your hooch. Keep a bottle in your room and have pre-dinner drinks cloistered safe in the knowledge that not a drop will be wasted on the nonsense known as conviviality!

by Anonymousreply 212/01/2012

Isn't the food and drink on a cruise free?

by Anonymousreply 312/01/2012

That's what I thought r3. I don't like sharing unless I know that what I share isn't going to be wasted, so if I give them some wine, the bitches better drink every fuckin goddamn drop. Jackie used to pour at least some of the more expensive wine back into the bottle but we won't pursue that train of thought...

by Anonymousreply 412/01/2012

The OP sounds like an insufferable egocentric creep. Take your meals in your cabin.

by Anonymousreply 512/01/2012

You'd have been w-a-y better off posting this question on a message board like Cruise Critic, where it would be answered by someone who might have actually taken a cruise.

R3, just about every cruise line charges extra for any beverage except iced tea and terrible coffee. Passengers are offered a variety of drink plans for wine, cocktails, or soft drinks. As far as wine goes, You don't even need to finish your bottle during a single meal. It can be set aside for you next dinner.

Cruise lines are cashless. The card which functions as your boarding pass and room key is also your credit card onboard. When your waiter takes drink orders for the table, he or she will take your card and you will sign for you drinks and/or the bottle of wine for you and your partner. No one else at your table would expect to be offered any of your wine.

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2012

On the one and only cruise I was ever on (Holland Anerica) We would order wine and the waiter brought the bottle and glasses and it would be just for us, not our tablemates. And everyone in the table understood that. Later we learned about and purchased a wine card. For $30 and you would get 6 glasses of wine from it. It was a good deal. We couldn't always finish a whole bottle so we started buying the wine cards and it worked out better.

by Anonymousreply 712/02/2012
Need more help? Click Here.