Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Has anyone ever seen the movie, "The Locket"?

I just caught the last 20 minutes of it on TCM.

About a kleptomaniac woman who was accused of stealing a locket as a child and seeking revenge on her accusers as an adult. Or something like that.

Twice during the movie, she knocks over a music box that plays "Au Claire De La Lune" ("Claire de Lune?"), the same song that Rhoda keeps playing in "The Bad Seed".

The movie had a lot of flashbacks of when she was a child. Was this movie an inspiration for "The Bad Seed"?

by Anonymousreply 1912/04/2012

I saw it too, and have seen it several other times. It's worth a watch.

by Anonymousreply 111/30/2012

r1 - Have you seen "The Bad Seed" also? Is it my imagination or can you see the author watching the movie and saying "ok, let's say even as a child, she was a murderer" and the "Au Claire de la Lune" is shout out to "The Locket?"

by Anonymousreply 211/30/2012

I was moved that Robert Osborne sat down WITH AN ORDINARY CITIZEN to introduce tonight's feature. And it was like completely not a big deal for him, he came across as completely natural. I'm glad he's not stuck up or a snob to non-stars who join him on the set.

by Anonymousreply 311/30/2012

You might be onto something, a locket also comes into play in Bad Seed. She's given one by Monica, I forget how it might also be involved in the plot. I googled the two movies' titles together and found out there's a soundtrack for The Bad Seed available, and one of the song titles is The Locket.

by Anonymousreply 411/30/2012

Leonard Maltin's book said not to bother with it so I gave it a pass. Darn.

by Anonymousreply 511/30/2012

This film has a lot to recommend it...superb noirish cinematography,fascinating triple flashback construction,a sexy Robert Mitchum in a uncharacteristically diffident role and a striking performance from an absolutely drop dead gorgeous Laraine Day.

The director of the film John Brahm made a number of movies around that time that deserve to be known better..most notably "The Lodger" and "Hangover Square"...both starring the intense gay actor Laird Cregar.

by Anonymousreply 612/01/2012

[quoute]Was this movie an inspiration for "The Bad Seed"?

What are you a dumbass?

The movie was based on a book of the same name.

by Anonymousreply 712/01/2012

Hey dumbass r7,

The book was published in 1954. "The Locket" was made in 1946.

by Anonymousreply 812/01/2012

Would be a great double-feature with "Marnie".

by Anonymousreply 912/01/2012

First time I'd seen it or even heard of it. And Day wasn't known to me either. Osborne said her voice was "uninteresting" in discussing why she wasn't a bigger star.

It was pretty good - very stylish and quickly-paced.

by Anonymousreply 1012/01/2012

I noticed the similarities, too. The book's author was too obviously influenced by the movie.

I forget what happened to Rhoda, the Bad Seed; can someone tell me her fate?

by Anonymousreply 1112/01/2012

R9

Then finish off with "Penelope" for comic relief.

by Anonymousreply 1212/01/2012

Anyone seen "Night of the Hunter"?

by Anonymousreply 1312/01/2012

Laraine Day played Dr. Kildare's girlfriend in the series of 1930s movies with Lew Ayres & co-starred with Cary Grant in "Mr. Lucky" & with Gary Cooper in "The Story of Dr. Wassell" -- she was married to Leo Durocher -- she was a lifelong Mormon & a conservative Republican. Interesting woman.

by Anonymousreply 1412/01/2012

R13

Not only have I seen it...it's been one of my favorite movies since I was teenager.

I was lucky enough to attend a screening of it at the local art house theater. One of the speaker channels had blown so it had to be experienced in mono. It felt like being in 1955.

by Anonymousreply 1512/02/2012

It was Bea Wain's favorite movie

by Anonymousreply 1612/04/2012

The Locket is a super film, and I love it as well. I think this film was a head of its time because its subject which was about psychological issue the character had which was kleptomania.The story reveals how the character became that way which was a result of a traumatic issue that occurred when she was a little girl.

by Anonymousreply 1712/04/2012

Laraine Day was the answer to a blind item a few years ago about a feisty old Hollywood star who was bitching out her next-door neighbour for being an ass. Charlie Sheen was the neighbour

by Anonymousreply 1812/04/2012

Have never seen "The Locket" but I don't think "Clair de Lune" featured in the book "The Bad Seed." If there are similarities between the two I'd look into who wrote and produced the stage version of TBS, which was basically the same as the film.

by Anonymousreply 1912/04/2012
Need more help? Click Here.