Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

ALICE is on DVD, bitches!

The first season is already out and the second is on its way!

Makes a perfect gift if you're looking to get something for someone.

by Anonymousreply 8907/03/2013

I might not mind seeing it again for the Polly Holiday seasons, but nothing after she left. I liked all 3 women, but the show needed all 3 to be worth it.

by Anonymousreply 111/30/2012

Was this show based on Alice Don't Live Here Anymore.

by Anonymousreply 211/30/2012

Beth Howland went from the original Broadway cast of "Company" to this.

by Anonymousreply 311/30/2012

Perfect! I'm looking to get something for someone!!!

by Anonymousreply 411/30/2012

Yes r2, and the actress who played Flo in the movie (Diane Ladd) came in to replace Polly Holiday when she left. It didn't work though because although Ladd was a far superior dramatic actress, Holiday was a far better sitcom actress. None of the Flo replacements worked.

by Anonymousreply 511/30/2012

Celia Weston *who is awesome* was one of them for a season or two. Her talents were completely wasted.

by Anonymousreply 611/30/2012

I'm pouring boiling hot water out of a teakettle over my sore feet as I type!

by Anonymousreply 711/30/2012

Just recognized Polly Holiday in some current Christmas commercial...retail I think. Can't remember what store.

by Anonymousreply 811/30/2012

Launched Philip McKeon's career.

by Anonymousreply 911/30/2012

Ended Philip McKeon's career.

by Anonymousreply 1011/30/2012

There's a NEW girl in town, and she's looking GOOOD!!

There's a FRESH freckled face in the neighborhood...

La Da Da Da Da Bum Bum

by Anonymousreply 1111/30/2012

That title song was pretty bad, because of Linda's questionable singing. There were multiple versions and eventually she sounded reasonably polished, as much as she could. But a lot of people thought it was one of the worst tv themes ever.

by Anonymousreply 1211/30/2012

R1 and R5 sound like horrific cunts with a scorching case of herpes.

by Anonymousreply 1312/01/2012

There was a hilarious thread here years ago where someone analyzed Lavin's various versions of the theme song complete with youtube links and notations of her scatting variations. Bom-bom-bom-bom-ba-a-ah.

by Anonymousreply 1412/01/2012

Celia Weston was gorgeous when she was on the show. I figured after Alice ended, she just faded away.

I checked IMDB and had no idea her career was that good. Aside from Ladd, she has had the most prolific career.

by Anonymousreply 1512/01/2012

I noticed Celia Weston as Cam's mom on Modern Family.

I love Alice. I was super excited to see Warners has released Season 2. Although, I wish they'd just do a box set and get it over with already. I hate season by season because half the time they never finish the run.

by Anonymousreply 1612/01/2012

Tommy kept getting taller and taller and uglier and uglier.

Alice kept getting older and older and Linda Lavin's acting got WORSE each year. And she redid the theme like each year and each year it was worse.

How does someone get WORSE each year.

Mel was cool though. He was the Mac Daddy to all that white trash.

by Anonymousreply 1712/01/2012

I just read Tayback's Wikipedia entry. I always thought he was of Greek ancestry but his parents were Syrian.

I loved "Kiss my grits" Flo but was perpetually confused as to how she was supposed to have ever gotten a man.

by Anonymousreply 1812/01/2012

Why does this sound like someone doing marketing trying to blend in here by using DL slang?

What's the point of what sounds like a PR announcement?

by Anonymousreply 1912/01/2012

My favorite episode was when Boss Hogg came to town to take over Mel's Diner.

by Anonymousreply 2012/01/2012

Polly Holliday and Linda Lavin did not get along

by Anonymousreply 2112/01/2012

Alice = poor man's Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 2212/01/2012

Never watched it.

by Anonymousreply 2312/01/2012

So, for anyone who knows the film ("Alice Doesn't Live here Anymore") and also watched "Alice," what happened to the Kris Kristofferson Character?

by Anonymousreply 2412/01/2012

Wait. That's really a plot point. Boss Hogg tried to take over Mel's Diner? Why?

I, for one, actually loved the theme song. I used to use the standup vacuum cleaner as a microphone and sing it to my brother and sister.And, YES, I'm gay.

by Anonymousreply 2512/01/2012

well I loved Alice - the cast, writing, acting - all the characters I had such affection for and looked forward to watching it. I loved Linda Lavin and her voice and the theme - I just don't get all the vitriol here, but again it is DL I guess. At a very low point in my life after my partner and I split after many years, I was living in this little shit hole in Boston and had a crappy job with an asshole boss and I so looked forward to coming home at night, cooking a great dinner and watching alice episodes.... well I'll be getting the DVDs for sure - I still liked it even after Flo left, but it wasn't as good I'll admit.

by Anonymousreply 2612/01/2012

Just listening to the theme tune, it beggars belief that Lavin thought she could sing the Gypsy score well. Then again, I suppose Tyne Daily put paid to the idea that that was necessary.

by Anonymousreply 2712/01/2012

Vera + straws = hilarity!

by Anonymousreply 2812/01/2012

What the fuck was that with the straws? Was that on an actual episode? When I was little, I remember thinking it was spaghetti.

by Anonymousreply 2912/01/2012

I always delighted in Henry's sassy bon mots about Mel's chili!

by Anonymousreply 3012/01/2012

I've searched and searched, but I can't find the thread about the theme song and its evolution. Waah.

by Anonymousreply 3112/01/2012

"Wait. That's really a plot point. Boss Hogg tried to take over Mel's Diner? Why?"

He was revealed to be the cousin of Jolene (Celia Weston), one of the later women who replaced Flo.

by Anonymousreply 3212/01/2012

There's a NEW GIRL in town, and she's LOO! KING! GOOD!

by Anonymousreply 3312/01/2012

R29, the bit with the straws was in the pilot episode. I'm so elder I remember watching it.

I love R30.

by Anonymousreply 3412/01/2012

Kill my grits!

by Anonymousreply 3512/01/2012

I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the hell a 'visit from Aunt Flo' meant because of this program.

by Anonymousreply 3612/01/2012

Valerie Curtin missed out on an opportunity to play Vera on Alice. She was offered the part, but turned it down.

Beth Howland is married to Joe Rugalbuto from Murphy Brown.

by Anonymousreply 3712/01/2012

[quote] Beth Howland is married to Joe Rugalbuto from Murphy Brown.

No, she's been married to Charles Kimbrough (Jim Dial) from Murphy Brown for decades. Prior to marrying Kimbrough she was married briefly to Michale J. Pollard.

by Anonymousreply 3812/01/2012

You are right R38

I knew it was one of those guys on Murphy Brown, forgot which one.

by Anonymousreply 3912/01/2012

I wanted my first place to have bumk beds like vera's

by Anonymousreply 4012/01/2012

Pattin each others butts...

by Anonymousreply 4112/01/2012

Celia Weston lives in my neighborhood. I once saw some kids horsing around on the 6 Train and one of them fell on her. She was none too pleased.

I love her in LITTLE MAN TATE!

by Anonymousreply 4212/01/2012

Philip McKeon had BDF for days. He was one of my first boy crushes as a little queerling.

by Anonymousreply 4312/01/2012

Agreed R43, and that was great casting because Linda Lavin had BDF too.

by Anonymousreply 4412/01/2012

Well kiss my grits!

by Anonymousreply 4512/01/2012

I loved Vic Tayback. To me he always looked like a big, old, squeezable teddy bear.

by Anonymousreply 4612/01/2012

It was ridiculous for them to expect the audience to actually believe that middle-aged, hatchet-faced Flo was supposed to be the town pump of Phoenix. Most men would rather chew off their right arm than take a ride on that.

The best (worst) episodes were the ones where Linda Lavin twisted the producer's arms to write in a singing and dancing number so Lavin could show off her "talents."

Philip McKeon had to be one of the ugliest child actors ever, and were we supposed to believe that that short, squat yenta Lavin popped his tall, gangly blonde goy ass out of her cooch?

Was Vera supposed to be mildly retarded?

by Anonymousreply 4712/01/2012

Flo is no more unrealistic as the town tramp than Blanche Devereaux.

by Anonymousreply 4812/01/2012

[quote]No, she's been married to Charles Kimbrough (Jim Dial) from Murphy Brown for decades. Prior to marrying Kimbrough she was married briefly to Michale J. Pollard.

Kimbrough was also from the original Broadway cast of "Company." Presumably that's where they met.

by Anonymousreply 4912/01/2012

I will have to buy it. After the first season or so it just became more ridiculous but its still a mindless fun show and still holds up. Gave up after polly left though. Ive seen a few episodes with diane and celia but it just wasnt as fun anymore. Polly was a huge part of the show and linda hated it and got rid of her.

by Anonymousreply 5012/01/2012

Diane Ladd's catchphrase "well, butter my biscuits!" didn't catch on.

by Anonymousreply 5112/01/2012

Season 3 is now available on DVD.

Does anyone know if Beth Howland was a cocaine user? She seemed pretty tweaked on the show and extremely thin.

by Anonymousreply 5206/26/2013

Reading this thread months ago made me obsessed with the theme song. I went to Youtube and found different versions. Some are peppy, some melancholy...all Lavinesque. Would love to read the aforementioned song analysis.

by Anonymousreply 5306/26/2013

I missed this thread the first time around. Luckily, it came back, because R47 is one of the funniest posts in years. Now, finally, it can have the wider exposure it deserves!

by Anonymousreply 5406/26/2013

A friend helped "put Lavin in" for Rose in Gypsy, and at dinner one night while she was still rehearsing he told me she sang:

"Foe ME!, For ME!, For MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! . . . . . . . bum bum bum bum dah duuuum . . ."

and I nearly peed in my pants.

I had a hard time watching her Rose's Turn after that- but she was quite good.

by Anonymousreply 5506/26/2013

R51 ...neither did Jolene's "step back" (whatever the fuck that meant).

by Anonymousreply 5606/27/2013

Lavin's voice always annoyed me. That nasal, flat midwestern twang was like nails on a chalkboard.

by Anonymousreply 5706/27/2013

Would you hit it?

by Anonymousreply 5806/27/2013

Beth Howland opened the Stage West Dinner theater in Mississauga in the 80s.

It is being closed this week.

by Anonymousreply 5906/27/2013

R47 is right. No way Philip could be Linda's child.

by Anonymousreply 6006/27/2013

Season three is now on DVD!!! Linda will be on Sean Hayes' new sitcom this fall. She plays his mother.

by Anonymousreply 6106/27/2013

WHET to Beth Howland? She fell off the face of the Earth after Alice went off the air. Could she really have made enough money to not work for the past 30 years?

And Linda Lavin has always irritated the hell out of me for reasons I can't fully explain.

by Anonymousreply 6206/27/2013

[quote] And Linda Lavin has always irritated the hell out of me for reasons I can't fully explain.

We understand.

by Anonymousreply 6306/27/2013

I loved the show as a kid but after seeing the original film, can't stomach it anymore.

Burstyn is so amazing, the whole cast was great.

The scene in the film with Alice and Flo sunning themselves in the alley is great.

by Anonymousreply 6406/27/2013

Guest stars on "Alice" included: 1) Jay Leno (as a motorcyclist) 2) Ruth Buzzi (as Henry's wife, Chloe) 3) Nancy McKeon (as a runaway orphan) 4) Howard Morton (later on "Gimme a Break")

As themselves: Art Carney, Telly Savalas, George Burns, Jerry Reed, Joel Grey, Robert Goulet

by Anonymousreply 6506/27/2013

Another "Gypsy" connection. Lavin played Mama Rose but the original Baby June is the poor wife of Harvey Keitel in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 6606/27/2013

Did we ever figure out which set of end credits had "Boppity Bop!" at the end?

by Anonymousreply 6706/27/2013

I want to binge watch the whole thing. Just so I can watch Philip McKeon go from that slightly awkward phase into a really awkward phase.

by Anonymousreply 6806/27/2013

Is this the Over 50 thread?

by Anonymousreply 6906/27/2013

Andrea Martin's impersonation of Linda Lavin on SCTV.

by Anonymousreply 7006/28/2013

I imagine Linda Lavin to have one of those unruly bushes that creeps down her inner thighs.

by Anonymousreply 7106/28/2013

r47 made me laugh out loud, that was really funny!

The men of Phoenix must have been beyond desperate to hook up with that hag Flo.

by Anonymousreply 7206/28/2013

That Andrea Martin clip is hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 7306/28/2013

Lavin's fun here.

by Anonymousreply 7406/28/2013

[quote]Lavin's voice always annoyed me. That nasal, flat midwestern twang was like nails on a chalkboard.

Lavin's accent has always been a mystery. She was born in Portland, Maine but she never seemed to have a trace of a New England accent. Her parents must have been from somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 7506/28/2013

I always thought Belle (Diane Ladd) was the hottest of the waitresses.

by Anonymousreply 7606/28/2013

Watched the film "Alice Doesn't live here Anymore" last night. I liked it, but thought it was very different from the TV series.

by Anonymousreply 7706/29/2013

"very different from the TV series"

Yeah, it was good.

by Anonymousreply 7806/29/2013

Linda Lavin and Polly Holliday despised one another. Beth Howland was caught in the middle.

All three (including Celia Weston) are Broadway vets.,

by Anonymousreply 7906/29/2013

I thought Polly Holliday had left Alice because of the spin-off series, "Flo."

by Anonymousreply 8006/29/2013

Are the Jolene episodes available on DVD? All I saw available was a collection of fan favorites.

by Anonymousreply 8106/29/2013

The DVD seasons are trickling out via Warner Archives but they're only up to season 3. Jolene (Celia Weston) didn't show up until near the end of season 5.

by Anonymousreply 8206/30/2013

The sitcom was a bastardization of such a good film but it really only took the second half of the film as inspiration anyhow.

by Anonymousreply 8307/01/2013

Can you believe this dumb show had a run of almost TEN seasons? It just boggles the mind.

by Anonymousreply 8407/01/2013

The robot waiter and Boss Hogg were very sad episodes.

But the worst was Lavin and Martha Raye in minidresses that barely covered their hoo-has singing "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?"

Saw the episode in a rerun nearly a quarter of a century ago and still recovering.

by Anonymousreply 8507/01/2013

Is there anyone on DL who happens to know what actually went on behind the scenes between Linda Lavin and Polly Holliday (and Diane Ladd.)

Polly Holliday seems like such a lovely refined woman and her break-out popularity should have been appreciated by the producers an the network, if not Linda Lavin. If I were running things I would have sided with her and let Lavin take a hike. Polly Holliday as "Flo" was lightning in a bottle, Linda Lavin's "Alice" really nothing too spectacular, or even funny and she was clearly awful to work with-why was she so indulged?

Same thing with Diane Ladd-they let Lavin run another co-star (and one as accomplished as Ladd) off the show? Why wasn't Linda jealous of Beth Howland and Celia Weston? Both were funnier than she was?

And why did they let her sing the theme song? Her "interpretations" were hardly appropriate for a sitcom until the ninth season! Why? I've always wondered.

by Anonymousreply 8607/02/2013

Could someone post a link to the DL thread about the different ways Linda Lavin sung the theme song. I'd really love to read that.

by Anonymousreply 8707/03/2013

[quote]Can you believe this dumb show had a run of almost TEN seasons? It just boggles the mind.

I watched some of the re-runs when it was on a cable station a few years ago. It seemed like every episode was about one of the waitresses quitting/getting fired, OR Mel selling/losing the diner. Occasionally, they would do an episode where the diner gets destroyed.

by Anonymousreply 8807/03/2013

Alice had to go off the air by 1985 because it was becoming pretty silly and boring.

by Anonymousreply 8907/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.