Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

MGM or....Metro?

Why is MGM always referred to as Metro by all the Hollywood old-timers in interviews? Were they dissing Louis B. Mayer by not invoking the second M in MGM?

Was MGM really the creme de la creme of studios back then? Except for musicals, they didn't really make the best quality movies, did they?

by Anonymousreply 1412/05/2012

MGM was founded in 1924 when Metro Pictures, Goldwyn Pictures and Louis B. Mayer Pictures were taken over/merged. The next year (1925) MGM had two of the top box office hits ("Big Parade" and "Ben Hur"). From then on, MGM was a symbol of quality. They not only produced box office hits, but many of their movies also were nominated for or won Oscars. They had the stars (Gilbert, Garbo, Gable, Harlow, Crawford, Garland and Rooney to name a few), the directors (Vidor, von Stroheim, etc.) and Irving Thalberg (in his own category).

I have no clue about the "Metro" reference; I believe that Metro was the preeminent studio of the three (Metro is listed first). Also I've noticed that people who work at multi-named companies often refer to them by the first name instead of constantly rambling through the list.

by Anonymousreply 111/30/2012

I figured calling Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer "MGM" was a fairly recent thing, post-studio system. Sort of like Kentucky Fried Chicken eventually became just KFC. I watched an old dance film from the early '80s about New York gypsies who cant catch a break, so they resort to performing on the streets. (Lots of breakdancing involved!)

Anyway, in one scene they're pooling their hard-earned dough and trying to think of what to have for dinner and someone suggests "Kentucky Fried." I'm guessing this was before KFC became commonplace. Likewise, I'm presuming, acronyms weren't common in the 19030s/1940s/1950s (outside of the military) and instead of saying all three names, people just used the first name, Metro.

by Anonymousreply 211/30/2012

I'm so tired of being called Coke. It throws shade on my Ca Cola.

by Anonymousreply 311/30/2012

As I've - ahem - matured, the signature MGM style has seemed more staid, formal and airless than WB or Universal. Stuffy even.

I now prefer Stanwyck to an MGM goddess like Garbo or, god forbid, Crawford and Garson.

by Anonymousreply 411/30/2012

I don't even think a lot of MGM musicals hold up. I can't think of any other than "Singin' in the Rain" and "Wizard of Oz." I don't even think that MGM really had any interesting movies until after 1959.

by Anonymousreply 511/30/2012

Meet Me in St. Louis, Easter Parade, R5. Some love The Bandwagon but, except for Dancing in the Dark, it drags.

by Anonymousreply 611/30/2012

It was the home of Hollywood royalty. I should know.

by Anonymousreply 711/30/2012

Louie B. Mayer tried to finger me - THAT's why I say METRO!!!!

by Anonymousreply 811/30/2012

I heard the old timers call it Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. It was JUDY and Ann Miller that said Metro.

by Anonymousreply 911/30/2012

I don't know. But my mother used to work there in the 70's. We'd go visit and have lunch in the commissary and stargaze.

by Anonymousreply 1011/30/2012

I wonder why they kept Sam Goldwyn's name in the title when he left the company so soon after it was formed.

by Anonymousreply 1111/30/2012

Skip down to 1:45 and you'll have your answer!

by Anonymousreply 1212/05/2012

It's just shorter, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1312/05/2012

Box office POISON!

by Anonymousreply 1412/05/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!