Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Auto body repair costs are insane

I scraped against a pillar in my garage. Looking at the damage myself, I would have estimated $500. The actual cost: $4,100. A 3/4" plastic clip on the headlight assembly that holds it in place was snapped off. They "repair" that by replacing the entire front headlight assembly (which is one "part") at a cost of over $1,000. The fender was bent above the wheel. They "repair" that by replacing the entire fender.

So I had to call my insurance company to repair what in a reasonable system I should be able to pay for without making a claim.

Remind me never to lease a new car again. (2012 Infiniti G37).

by Anonymousreply 1612/02/2012

Auto repair is no different than Health repair, I mean care. Insurance works great provided you never have to use it. Oh, and expect your rates to increase.

by Anonymousreply 111/30/2012

Isn't there anywhere to get things like this fixed for reasonable prices?

by Anonymousreply 212/02/2012

r2, try a mom and pop shop. They will bargain with you.

by Anonymousreply 312/02/2012

I scraped the underside of my front plastic bumper on a curb. The scrape is about the size of a quarter. It has to be buffed, filled out, and painted. My estimate was $400.

by Anonymousreply 412/02/2012

That's why it pays to have friends in all sorts of professions who are good at what they are doing professionally. One weekend, a couple of beers, 200-300 bucks (plus paying for the spare parts), and maybe a nice dinner (and fuck when it's a friend with benefits). Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 512/02/2012

Don't some car insurances and leasing/renting companies insist on repairs to be done by licensed garages?

by Anonymousreply 612/02/2012

Yes, R6.

Part of it, OP, is you're driving an expensive car. Parts are going to be expensive. And cars, now, are made in such a way that you just replace an entire fender. It's easier for them, and makes for a better repair. You'd think that would be cheaper, but no.

It's a racket because they can make it one. There's not much competition, and it's not something you can do yourself.

by Anonymousreply 712/02/2012

Damn, OP. I cringed as soon as I read "lease!" Even though I recently scraped against a pillar in my apartment building's parking garage, I have no intention of getting the scratches repaired because it would cost too damn much. Unfortunately, with a lease you might be penalized if the scratches/dents are significant.

by Anonymousreply 812/02/2012

'with a lease you might be penalized if the scratches/dents are significant" you think?

by Anonymousreply 912/02/2012

R9, don't be so glib. I leased a BMW for 3 years and they gave me a little ruler-like tool to measure scratches and dents. When I turned the car in, I was only penalized for the larger dents and dings...a few of the dents were the size of dimes...and there were scratches all over...but I didn't get charged for those. Overall, I only had to pay $1,000 when the turn-in inspection was complete.

by Anonymousreply 1012/02/2012

R11 wants to live in a world without poetry wherein everyone is as dull and suicidal as accountants.

by Anonymousreply 1212/02/2012

I see that fucking obnoxious 'mos troll is still with us.

Answer me this: why are you on this forum?

by Anonymousreply 1312/02/2012

I hadn't even opened this thread, but I think it triggered a dream. I had a dream that I was being charged more for car repairs than my car was worth. I don't even own a car.

by Anonymousreply 1412/02/2012

I dreamed I was wanted for murder. I think I know why.

by Anonymousreply 1512/02/2012

I feel your pain. I tore off a tiny corner on the front plastic fender of my car and it is going to cost over $2,000 to fix, after my $500 deductible. Something about the headlights having a feature that shoots washer fluid or some such nonsense, and having to replace the entire side of the fucking car.

by Anonymousreply 1612/02/2012
Need more help? Click Here.