Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Auto body repair costs are insane

I scraped against a pillar in my garage. Looking at the damage myself, I would have estimated $500. The actual cost: $4,100. A 3/4" plastic clip on the headlight assembly that holds it in place was snapped off. They "repair" that by replacing the entire front headlight assembly (which is one "part") at a cost of over $1,000. The fender was bent above the wheel. They "repair" that by replacing the entire fender.

So I had to call my insurance company to repair what in a reasonable system I should be able to pay for without making a claim.

Remind me never to lease a new car again. (2012 Infiniti G37).

by Anonymousreply 1612/02/2012

Auto repair is no different than Health repair, I mean care. Insurance works great provided you never have to use it. Oh, and expect your rates to increase.

by Anonymousreply 111/30/2012

Isn't there anywhere to get things like this fixed for reasonable prices?

by Anonymousreply 212/02/2012

r2, try a mom and pop shop. They will bargain with you.

by Anonymousreply 312/02/2012

I scraped the underside of my front plastic bumper on a curb. The scrape is about the size of a quarter. It has to be buffed, filled out, and painted. My estimate was $400.

by Anonymousreply 412/02/2012

That's why it pays to have friends in all sorts of professions who are good at what they are doing professionally. One weekend, a couple of beers, 200-300 bucks (plus paying for the spare parts), and maybe a nice dinner (and fuck when it's a friend with benefits). Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 512/02/2012

Don't some car insurances and leasing/renting companies insist on repairs to be done by licensed garages?

by Anonymousreply 612/02/2012

Yes, R6.

Part of it, OP, is you're driving an expensive car. Parts are going to be expensive. And cars, now, are made in such a way that you just replace an entire fender. It's easier for them, and makes for a better repair. You'd think that would be cheaper, but no.

It's a racket because they can make it one. There's not much competition, and it's not something you can do yourself.

by Anonymousreply 712/02/2012

Damn, OP. I cringed as soon as I read "lease!" Even though I recently scraped against a pillar in my apartment building's parking garage, I have no intention of getting the scratches repaired because it would cost too damn much. Unfortunately, with a lease you might be penalized if the scratches/dents are significant.

by Anonymousreply 812/02/2012

'with a lease you might be penalized if the scratches/dents are significant" you think?

by Anonymousreply 912/02/2012

R9, don't be so glib. I leased a BMW for 3 years and they gave me a little ruler-like tool to measure scratches and dents. When I turned the car in, I was only penalized for the larger dents and dings...a few of the dents were the size of dimes...and there were scratches all over...but I didn't get charged for those. Overall, I only had to pay $1,000 when the turn-in inspection was complete.

by Anonymousreply 1012/02/2012

R11 wants to live in a world without poetry wherein everyone is as dull and suicidal as accountants.

by Anonymousreply 1212/02/2012

I see that fucking obnoxious 'mos troll is still with us.

Answer me this: why are you on this forum?

by Anonymousreply 1312/02/2012

I hadn't even opened this thread, but I think it triggered a dream. I had a dream that I was being charged more for car repairs than my car was worth. I don't even own a car.

by Anonymousreply 1412/02/2012

I dreamed I was wanted for murder. I think I know why.

by Anonymousreply 1512/02/2012

I feel your pain. I tore off a tiny corner on the front plastic fender of my car and it is going to cost over $2,000 to fix, after my $500 deductible. Something about the headlights having a feature that shoots washer fluid or some such nonsense, and having to replace the entire side of the fucking car.

by Anonymousreply 1612/02/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!