Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hasidic bullies intimidate rape victim in court

Four Orthodox Jewish men arrested for court pix of sex accuser

These alleged intimidators must think they’re judge and jury.

Four Orthodox Jewish men were hauled out of a Brooklyn courtroom and arrested yesterday after they allegedly used gangland tactics to intimidate a teen as she bravely testified about her alleged sexual abuse at the hands of a prominent Hasidic leader.

The sex-abuse trial of Nechemya Weberman was thrown into an uproar when the accused child molester’s supporters surreptitiously snapped iPhone pictures of the 17-year-old on the stand.

The four were nabbed after one of the images of the girl was posted to a Twitter account. Weberman, 54, is accused of sexually abusing the girl over three years — starting when she was 12 — after her parents sent her to him for counseling.

A day earlier, the alleged victim was left trembling after Weberman allegedly glared at her through a glass door to the courthouse conference room where she sat during a break in her testimony.

Yesterday, the judge lashed into the four men — all members of the insular Satmar sect of Hasidic Judaism in Williamsburg, of which Weberman is a leader — for outing the young woman as she testified about alleged sex abuse that prosecutors say Weberman made her endure during what were supposed to be counseling sessions.

“You know about the Torah, you know about rabbinical courts. This is a civil court!” Supreme Court Justice John Ingram thundered to the four men after they were caught. Your phones will be held for possible criminal prosecution. You may wish to avail yourself of counsel.”

Lemon Juice, 30, Joseph Fried, 23, Yona Weisman, 23, and Abraham Zupnick, 23, were walked in handcuffs from Brooklyn Supreme Court to the Brooklyn DA’s Office for questioning.

They were facing criminal contempt charges that could carry up to a year in prison, a source said.

“I didn’t take a picture,” Weisman protested weakly.

“They’re on Weberman’s side. All they want to do is give her hell,” fumed Sori Schlafrig, 18, a friend of the girl. “I think they should rot in jail.”

by Anonymousreply 11512/05/2012

After the men were removed, Ingram ordered all spectators to surrender their phones at the courtroom door, adding that photos were also taken of Weberman and a defense attorney.

“I don’t know what’s wrong with you people! Turn off your phones!” Ingram railed. “Now we have to take all their phones, just like in a gang trial,” said a law-enforcement source. “It’s the same thing you have with the Bloods or the Crips.”

Earlier in the trial, the girl testified that her father lost his business and her nieces were forced to leave their school after she came forward.

Yesterday, white paper was taped over the glass partition through which Weberman glared.

In June, four ultra-Orthodox men also were charged with trying to force the teen to drop the case.

by Anonymousreply 111/30/2012

[quote]Lemon Juice, 30,

WTF.

by Anonymousreply 211/30/2012

One of them is named Lemon Juice?

by Anonymousreply 311/30/2012

Is Lemon Juice a Hasidic rap artist?

by Anonymousreply 411/30/2012

I don't see a problem.

by Anonymousreply 511/30/2012

Yeah. Lemon Juice threw me for a loop. The parents of girls in that community should be afraid for them. An abuser with adult male groupies running around as though they're the law. What a perfect insular, traditional community that values keeping quiet and saving face for pedophiles to operate in.

by Anonymousreply 811/30/2012

I understand the Hasidic communities in NYC strive to be the same as those in Eastern Russia and Poland from which they emigrated in the 1920s. When you're so different and you want to maintain the purity of your religion and culture, why move to America?

by Anonymousreply 911/30/2012

Probably the same reason the Amish & a lot of people left Europe.

by Anonymousreply 1011/30/2012

[quote]When you're so different and you want to maintain the purity of your religion and culture, why move to America?

Are you really this stupid?

The very first people to leave Europe for what would become America were fleeing religious persecution. Every religious group that followed them was doing the same thing. When it came time to write the Bill of Rights they made religious freedom part of the very first amendment. This country was literally founded on those ideals.

How can you possibly be so uninformed?

by Anonymousreply 1111/30/2012

[quote]I understand the Hasidic communities in NYC strive to be the same as those in Eastern Russia and Poland from which they emigrated in the 1920s. When you're so different and you want to maintain the purity of your religion and culture, why move to America?

Pogroms.

by Anonymousreply 1211/30/2012

R11 Yes he really is that stupid.

Unfortunately I have known other girls who went through this, one girl's father was an ex Marine & abused her and her sisters and the mother knew but was very weak.

The kids don't come forward because they are afraid and sometimes the relatives don't want to know.

Here's another article.

by Anonymousreply 1411/30/2012

I don't like seeing the word Orthodox used as interchangeable with the word Hasidic. Orthodox Jews - capital O - are very different from Hasidic Jews.

One may be "orthodox", but an "Orthodox" Jew in a sect of Judaism unrelated to Hasidism, who are separatist nuts, yes. Very.

by Anonymousreply 1711/30/2012

Well gay rights hardly flourished under the atheist Soviet Union, even criminalizing it at one point R13.

by Anonymousreply 1811/30/2012

Why is the defendant friends with all these guys half his age to begin with? Creepy, all the way around.

by Anonymousreply 1911/30/2012

Anabaptists and Quakers certainly fled persecution, however you're right about Calvinists especially the Puritans who set about torturing and killing Quakers once they arrived. Catholics were not allowed to practice because everyone was scared of the Vatican. But when Penn drafted the state constitution of Penn., Catholics were allowed to practice with limitations. However neither Catholics nor Quakers (ironically) could hold office (until they adapted it to the federal constitution.)

by Anonymousreply 2311/30/2012

What a bunch of freaks.

Is this the same sect where a baby boy or two died from herpes after the rabbi fellated them, post-circumcision, as part of some religious madness?

by Anonymousreply 2511/30/2012

r17 when most New Yorkers see men with yarmulkes, pais, or big hats they think "Hasid." Can you tell from the attire who is just Orthodox? And is there only one group that wear white stockings with knickers?

by Anonymousreply 2611/30/2012

I think there is another group that looks similar (the hats) but from what I can tell a WHOLE lot friendlier. called chabad.

Last year I looked up 'ask a priest' and "Ask a rabbi' for a lark (and curiosity) and landed on the chabad group for "rabbi". I'm not into organized religion myself, but the chabad guys were much smarter, insightful & more flexible. Especially compared to the priests. I noticed the people posting responses varied also, often arguing with the rabbi & each other. You'd still need to buy into dogma (which I don't) but their overall perceptions seem to be sharper than the Hasidic guys. Less god-like & authoritative than priests.

by Anonymousreply 2711/30/2012

Hasidim wear those furry, six layer chocolate cakes on their heads.

by Anonymousreply 2811/30/2012

Remarkable how the subject of the thread gets turned into a vent for one sided agendas of varying positions.

by Anonymousreply 2911/30/2012

R11, no they weren't. The first people to come to America were not fleeing religious persecution. That's a feel-good myth about the land of the Free. They came here because they felt Europe was too religiously LIBERAL and they were intolerant.

by Anonymousreply 3011/30/2012

I don't know if this was mentioned up thread, but they basically destroyed this girl's family. It's been in the news for the past few days.

I keep my distance from all religious fundies and fanatics. They are usually mean and nasty just below the surface and can justify the most unethical, inhuman and vicious behavior.

by Anonymousreply 3111/30/2012

Horrible trouble makers. All my reformed Jewish friends detest them. .. And don't get them (my friends) started on Israelis!!

by Anonymousreply 3311/30/2012

From the experiences of a Jewish friend who for a while lived with his Ghanian wife in an area where the prominent community were Hasidic, this doesn't surprise me too much.

by Anonymousreply 3411/30/2012

I'm sorry, but I still can't get over the name "Lemon Juice". Is that for real or is the reporter just having a laugh?

by Anonymousreply 3511/30/2012

That's true, r21. They were also busy persecuting religious minorities in England before coming here and doing it again in Massachusetts. The religious minorities ended up in Rhode Island and points west. That's how my grandmother's family - all Baptists all the way back to when Mary was burning them at the stake - ended up in North America.

by Anonymousreply 3611/30/2012

It's the same in every heavily patriarchal community: Sexuality is heavily regulated, and whenever impropriety takes place the least powerful person takes the blame and the punishmen - not the agressor.

This applies to women, children, and gay men, because this kind of patriarchal community is set up for the convenience of dominant straight males.

by Anonymousreply 3711/30/2012

What they need is a tranny beat down.

by Anonymousreply 3811/30/2012

Aren't these the same ones who shoved and spit on a woman for putting a hand on one's arm or something during a peaceful confrontation and regularly harassed female cyclists on the street for wearing biker shorts?

by Anonymousreply 3911/30/2012

Old feminist has it right.

by Anonymousreply 4011/30/2012

Mmmmm. Furry six layer chocolate cakes...

by Anonymousreply 4111/30/2012

Rabbi Explains the Importance of Sucking Blood from the Penis During Circumcision (Video)

by Anonymousreply 4311/30/2012

[quote]The pilgrims who came to America didn't leave England because they were escaping persecution -- they left because they believed there was too much freedom and not enough adherence to religious doctrine and they wanted to create a new world based on Biblical strictures.

THANK YOU, and the pilgrims were not the first to arrive to America.

by Anonymousreply 4411/30/2012

Oh shit. Did I forget to mention that I'm a Hasidic rabbi?

by Anonymousreply 4511/30/2012

Wait...is this the Catholic church??

by Anonymousreply 4611/30/2012

R42 = jew-hating eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 4711/30/2012

[quote]The pilgrims who came to America didn't leave England because they were escaping persecution.

Well, it was a little more complicated than that. The Pilgrims were aligned with a Separatist movement from the Church of England. It was illegal to not attend CoE services and holding other types of religious services was considered sedition. Some of their leaders were executed. So there was persecution of those who did not hold with the CoE.

They were still an unpleasant bunch however.

by Anonymousreply 4911/30/2012

[quote][R42] = jew-hating eldergay.

Very educated counter argument from R47

by Anonymousreply 5011/30/2012

But not a bit slimier than you R48

Thank you for your Hate of the Day post.

by Anonymousreply 5111/30/2012

To all of you dissing Jews there is a big difference between mainstream Jews and Hasidics.

by Anonymousreply 5211/30/2012

r53, you were called out as an idiot. Move along.

by Anonymousreply 5411/30/2012

[quote]To all of you dissing Jews there is a big difference between mainstream Jews and Hasidics.

The same goes for the many sects of Christians.

by Anonymousreply 5511/30/2012

R54, how old are you?

by Anonymousreply 5611/30/2012

Furry six layer chocolate cake:

by Anonymousreply 5711/30/2012

The Hasid rapists have much in common with their Afghan Muslim cousins who deem beheading necessary for a 14 year old girl who refuses a hand in marriage. She was an infidel cunt who deserved what she had coming in either culture: the rabbi who took advantage and now feels put upon for being in our judicial system for rape OR the Muslim avenger who took the head of the 14 year old "woman" who dared to spurn him. All the fucking same.

Either way, the traditionalist, right-wing big boys and their accolytes in each of their respective religions got to shit on innocent women and feel righteous in doing so. You know what's worse? It's that their mothers were cheering them on every step of the way.

And the right wing male cunts in our society, like Akin et al. feel victimized by their own Republican party and females and black and brown people all across the land.

Why does our society tolerate such stupid, insipid mother fuckers?

by Anonymousreply 5811/30/2012

R59 -- developmentally disabled muslim?

(shooting for the best possible attribution!)

by Anonymousreply 6011/30/2012

R60, it's cute how you think you're better than R59 when you're the same.

You're both bigoted assholes.

by Anonymousreply 6111/30/2012

I was simply trying to be nice. What is your attribution, R61? (we realize you are undiscerning, so perhaps DD might fit)

by Anonymousreply 6211/30/2012

It's a shonda!

Here--have some Babka.

by Anonymousreply 6311/30/2012

R62, I was trying to be nice, too.

I think you both have a screw loose.

by Anonymousreply 6411/30/2012

Congratulations, guys, you've all made the troll very happy.

by Anonymousreply 6511/30/2012

Religious fanatics are all the same...disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 6611/30/2012

Seven Jew-centric or Israel-centric threads have been started on Datalounge today, just in case you doubted that you're being trolled.

by Anonymousreply 6811/30/2012

Avigdor wait!

by Anonymousreply 6911/30/2012

Judaism isn't off limits, R68.

by Anonymousreply 7011/30/2012

Is Bisquick kosher?

by Anonymousreply 7112/01/2012

Hasidics, Muslims, Conservative Christians...the same damn thing for anyone bitching about Jews being picked on. Any conservative of any religion is fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 7212/01/2012

R65/R68 is the troll who always claims that a troll starts tons of "Jew-centric" threads.

His silence is deafening when it comes to thread after thread after thread about other groups, but don't you dare start a negative thread about someone Jewish or Israel because you're automatically a "troll."

You're such an insufferable douche.

by Anonymousreply 7312/01/2012

[quote]s the troll who always claims that a troll starts tons of "Jew-centric" threads

Always? When's the last time I pointed out the anti-Jewish trolling here? If I'm always doing it, it should be easy to think of a recent occurrence.

When any negative issue receives seven threads in one day, it's a pretty good indicator we've got a troll at work. And when the goal seems to be stirring up anti-Jewish sentiment, I'm apt to comment, for lo, I am the Zionist troll.

[quote]His silence is deafening when it comes to thread after thread after thread

No. I complained when we had a troll posting "scare whitey" threads on a daily basis about black-on-white violence. I complained about the race-baiting threads regarding the Williams sisters and even identified myself as the Zionist troll. I've complained about racist and classist baiting in other threads.

[quote] but don't you dare start a negative thread about someone Jewish or Israel because you're automatically a "troll."

I didn't say anything when the first thread popped up, or the second thread, or the third. I just starred the threads to keep an eye on things. And when one thread went to multiple pages and the starred count was up to 7, it was obvious to me a troll was at work, so I commented.

We're being trolled. Again.

by Anonymousreply 7412/01/2012

By the way, the thread count just went up to 8.

by Anonymousreply 7512/01/2012

Calm down R74.

by Anonymousreply 7612/01/2012

Calm down? I'm not riled up. I just argued plainly and calmly that I was being falsely accused. You couldn't counter my argument so you've settled for a condescending "calm down." That's just sad.

by Anonymousreply 7712/01/2012

Are you lost R77? DL commenters don't pay attention to being accused of anything and surely don't respond to most of it.

by Anonymousreply 7812/01/2012

Don't them Jews believe in legitimae rape? Or is legitimate rape exclusively a southern Christian fundie rite?

by Anonymousreply 7912/01/2012

The first Europeans to establish settlements in America were Catholic Spaniards who believed it their mission to convert the natives as well as steal their resources. Long before the Pilgrims in Massachusetts. The first American hero of religious tolerance was the man who established Rhode Island , Roger (can't remember his last name). Prior to that, settlers only wanted religious freedom for themselves or like the Spaniards (and later the English in Virginia) were part of the colonial aspirations of their empires.

Religious fundamentalism of any stripe uses oppression and exploitation to hold itself together. I'm not familiar with examples but I would be surprised if there weren't fundamentalist versions of other world religions as well. There is nothing special about Judaism or Christianity or Islam in that regard, I would suspect.

by Anonymousreply 8012/01/2012

Are there fundamentalist Confucians and Buddhists? I know there are fundamentalist Hindus, but I'm not familiar with the other Asian religions...

by Anonymousreply 8112/01/2012

Thank you, r82, for settling the issue of whether we're being trolled.

by Anonymousreply 8312/01/2012

R81, I don't think the term 'fundamentalist' applies but there are certainy different sects of Buddhism which interpret the varieties of karma in looser or more strict ways. A family friend belongs to a Japanese sect which views homosexuals as sort of degraded beings who are unable to resolve their sexuality and so incapable of attaining nirvana in their homo incarnation.

by Anonymousreply 8412/01/2012

I think the sane people here agree that bullshit fundamentalism has many forms. I'm just glad that the judge is not putting up with these fuckwads' intimidation efforts in the courtroom.

(Don't feed the pathetic trolls who so desperately need attention because they (a) have microscopic meat, (b) are closeted self-loathers and/or (c) didn't get enough love from mummy.)

by Anonymousreply 8512/01/2012

Did we get an explanation for the name "Lemon Juice" yet?

by Anonymousreply 8612/01/2012

I'm not sure what sort of explanation you're looking for, R86.

by Anonymousreply 8712/01/2012

From a New York Post article (linked below):

[quote]Meanwhile, the fourth suspect, Juice — who a pal said had his name legally changed because he is “eccentric” — is not a supporter of Weberman

by Anonymousreply 8812/01/2012

Because being Hasidim isn't eccentric enough.

by Anonymousreply 8912/01/2012

The Chabad are also known as Lubavitch with 200,000 members worldwide. Their leader, Menachem Schneerson died. They believe he is the Moschiach (Messiah) and will return.

by Anonymousreply 9112/01/2012

The Brooklyn craigslist M4M postings have a surprising number of men seeking "frum" men, which I gather is their word for observant or orthodox.

An interesting visual.

by Anonymousreply 9312/01/2012

[quote]have a surprising number of men seeking "frum" men, which I gather is their word for observant or orthodox.

Or Canadian neo con

by Anonymousreply 9412/01/2012

[quote] why move to America?

A lot of them have moved to Israel (even though they don't believe it should exist) and have caused a sharp veer to the political right in that country.

by Anonymousreply 9512/01/2012

R42--I find it hard to believe with your attitudes you've been invited to many Jewish weddings. Only certain Orthodox Jews separate the sexes.

R27--Chabad is an interesting movement. They split off from the Hasidim over the question of the role of thought and intellect. They quite rightly regard the Hasidim as anti-intellectual. They are also different in their attitude to other Jews. The are evangelical toward non-observant Jews and welcome outsiders.

They believed their 7th leader was the Messiah until he died without ever ushering in the era of world peace. Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 9612/01/2012

R96 should say they split off from OTHER Hasidim.

by Anonymousreply 9712/01/2012

The Zionist Troll® is correct. There is often a pattern of unflattering threads about Jews or Israel on DL. They are playgrounds for haters who may start out with semi-reasonable posts, but when challenged write things like "Jews are snakes" and then invoke the pathetic "You can't criticize Israel without being called an anti-semite" defense.

I call these threads "Jew Porn."

This thread has attracted some interesting discussion. The haters must be frustrated.

by Anonymousreply 9812/01/2012

Straight Men have ruled and destroyed the world.

by Anonymousreply 9912/01/2012

Back in the day when subway tea rooms existed, I met a kinky 27-year-old Satmar on the Canarsie line. He visited me monthly for two years until his father-in-law bought a house in Rockland County for him, his wife, and six kids.

by Anonymousreply 10012/01/2012

Subway tearoom? Never heard of it and I googled - found nothing.

by Anonymousreply 10112/01/2012

Tearoom = public restroom

by Anonymousreply 10212/01/2012

In actuality, the Puritans were the second wave after the Pilgrims - two very different entities. Pilgrims and Puritans both believed in adhering to the 'purity' of the bible - in other words being able to study and learn without the intervention of priests, bishops and popes telling them what to do. That's where the term 'Puritan' came from - the desire to purify the religion.

The difference between the two groups is that the Pilgrims believed in a complete split from the CoE while the Puritans believed that the CoE could change. When they realized they could not, they joined the Pilgrims.

by Anonymousreply 10312/01/2012

The founder of Rhode island and its religious freedom, to answer someone's question, was Roger Williams.

by Anonymousreply 10512/01/2012

Nothing like a good Holocaust joke!

R106 : "You can't even endorse the Holocaust without being called an antisemite."

R104--In what way is your absurd assertion ironic? Do you normally consider women to be pieces of shit?

by Anonymousreply 10812/01/2012

Yeah, right r107, only Jewish businesspeople were part of the economic turn of events.

by Anonymousreply 10912/01/2012

This Brooklyn Orthodox perv likes boys.

by Anonymousreply 11012/04/2012

Mother of Weberman's victim forced to keep daughter in Yeshiva.

by Anonymousreply 11212/05/2012

R80: You're thinking of Roger Williams. It is an interesting story though.

When the first Puritans (Well, they were more Calvinist and a rather dour bunch!) got here they established the Massachusetts colony.

Williams was a member of that colony but he couldn't stand the enforced piety and adherence to religion.

The RI state motto sums it up nicely:

"To hold forth a lively experiment that a most flourishing civil state may stand and best be maintained with full liberty in religious concernment."

Hence why the first synagogue, baptist church, etc. were and are still here in RI.

And why the state is about 45% Catholic today, though that is rapidly declining. The most rapidly growing group? Nonbelievers. About 1 in 4 Rhode Islanders are atheists.

by Anonymousreply 11312/05/2012

R16, yep religion is stupid. I'm amazed it is still around.

by Anonymousreply 11512/05/2012
Need more help? Click Here.