Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Deception (TV series)

Deception is an upcoming American television drama series that will air on NBC. The series, created by Liz Heldens, is set to premiere on Monday, January 7, 2013.

Plot

When Vivian Bowers, a famous socialite, is found dead from what appears to be an overdose, her former best friend, Detective Joanna Locasto, is re-embraced by the wealthy Bowers family, and in time she begins to uncover the truth of what really happened with her friend's death."

Sounds like they decided to cross AMC's "The Killing" with "Revenge."

by Anonymousreply 5903/31/2013

No one else is intrigued? Another article describes it as an "opulent soap", so it's definitely aimed at the Revenge audience. Also of note, the central character, the cop, is black. Very few scripted dramas have starred a black woman. Scandal is a recent example, but I heard it was over 35 yrs before that (I guess "Get Christie Love.") The cop character is the daughter of a maid who worked in the Bowers mansion. That's how she became friends with the Bowers girl who died of an "apparent overdose," but was actually murdered.

by Anonymousreply 111/30/2012

When the hell is a socialite ever best friends with a cop? Were they in the same sorority or something? Those worlds do not mix unless the cop is arresting the socialite.

by Anonymousreply 211/30/2012

They became friends as little girls, the cop was the daughter of a maid who worked in the Bowers mansion.

by Anonymousreply 311/30/2012

I preferred these shows they were called Dallas and Dynasty.

by Anonymousreply 411/30/2012

It'll be on NBC. It's all I need to know. On the other hand, any shit can linger there long enough since there's a low bar to jump over.

by Anonymousreply 511/30/2012

Is Good any good as an actress? I don't know if I've seen her in anything. I really like that it's got a black female lead--Scandal and Revenge are easily my favorite new shows of the last couple of years so I will take a look at this one.

by Anonymousreply 711/30/2012

It's debuting tonight.

by Anonymousreply 801/12/2013

Oh, I guess tonight's airing is actually a repeat of the pilot episode that aired earlier this week. Same difference.

by Anonymousreply 901/12/2013

It's only getting a 50% metacritic rating, so that's not too encouraging. I still might check it out to see if it grabs me.

by Anonymousreply 1001/12/2013

The pilot was firmly mediocre. It was terrible, but wasn't nearly as good (even in a bad way) as it should have been.

And is anyone buying Tate Donovan as Victor Garber's son? They should be brothers.

The family just isn't that interesting, and I don't believe half of them could have been the killer. At least in Twin Peaks you could have believed anyone, or any pair of characters was guilty.

What happened to the cop's mother? For someone who grew up in their house, it seems odd that NO ONE kept tabs on her and knew she moved to SF and became a cop. If Tate is so suspicious wouldn't be too difficult for him hire a PI and figure it out.

by Anonymousreply 1101/12/2013

It's mostly Veronica Mars crossed with Revenge. I watched the debut and didn't really care for it, mostly because you have to take some stupid leaps in logic that no one would think to Google her.

Also, the ex-partner/boyfriend/FBI agent/handler guy seemed like a complete asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1201/12/2013

I thought it was pretty bad. I agree with r11...Tate Donovan is too OLD to be Victor Garbers son! It would have been more believable if he was his brother. But, I will say, that Megan Goode is gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 1301/12/2013

The second episode is worse than the pilot. Poor Victor Garber and Tate Donovan being trapped in this crap.

Garber had some camp lines about his granddaughter's field hockey game- "She's a killer on the field. It's gonna be a blood bath!"

The secretary is really bad. I hope she gets bumped off.

by Anonymousreply 1401/14/2013

I thought the pilot was really dull. Also, despite being about a wealthy family, the production values were so low that everything looked incredibly cheap. I was gonna give it a few more episodes if I heard it got better, but all the critics (who I believe were sent 4 episodes) said it was bad.

by Anonymousreply 1501/14/2013

You're right about it looking cheap. The lifestyles of the rich and famous atmosphere it's trying to evoke is completely missing.

by Anonymousreply 1601/14/2013

What? No one noticed the one second chair in the first episode?

When they don't notice or even care about continuity, you know it's a half-assed show.

by Anonymousreply 1701/14/2013

Wes Brown is a beautiful looking man, albeit with chicken legs.

by Anonymousreply 1801/26/2013

I loved "The Killing". When does this come on?

by Anonymousreply 1901/26/2013

Tate and Victor are 14-15 years apart.

by Anonymousreply 2001/26/2013

The blonde broad who plays the wife of Garber's character is good. Not a pretty face but the bitch works out. I liked it that their characters played cards in bed.

by Anonymousreply 2101/26/2013

It's okay. It's certainly not "The Killing" but I'll probably keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 2201/28/2013

What a stupid mistake adding John fucking Larroquette to the cast when they could have added a hot older British, German, Australian, Italian or South American man as someone more evil than the weak father and sons.

by Anonymousreply 2301/29/2013

Mia had a great line last night-"My dad could be Luke Perry or Bill Clinton. I loved Vivian but she really got around."

by Anonymousreply 2402/12/2013

Anyone else still watching this? They've made it nicely twisty, but Edward is the only one I care a bit about.

by Anonymousreply 2503/12/2013

R25

I'm still enjoying it and it's twists and turns.

One question though...who was the woman killed last night in the elevator ?

by Anonymousreply 2603/12/2013

I think it was Edward's wife.

by Anonymousreply 2703/12/2013

It was Edward's wife Samantha. I like Mia, Joanna, Edward, and Julian. Sophia has grown on me, too. Robert is an evil s.o.b.

by Anonymousreply 2803/12/2013

Who killed his wife and why ?

by Anonymousreply 2903/13/2013

I don't know who hired the hitman to killed the wife. I'm guessing Edward will assume his father was behind it, meaning to have Edward killed and botching it, causing Edward to wallow in hate and self recrimination.

by Anonymousreply 3003/13/2013

The Russian mob killed Edward's wife. The hitman has been following Edward ever since Edward started figure out that Audrey was behind the other murders.

by Anonymousreply 3103/13/2013

Next week is the season finale. According to the commercial we will find out who killed Vivian.

The show has been picked up for a second season.

by Anonymousreply 3203/13/2013

No, it hasn't, R32. In fact it's probably toast.

by Anonymousreply 3303/16/2013

Are you serious, R32? I thought this show was gonzo.

I wish it would come back. I like it a hell of a lot more than the show with Kevin Bacon on Fox, which is said to be the biggest hit of this season.

by Anonymousreply 3403/16/2013

The ratings for it are far from good enough for a pick-up but NBC has so many problems with its schedule that it wouldn't be a total shock if Deception benefitted from that.

by Anonymousreply 3503/17/2013

I love this show, been watching it on Hulu. Megan Goode is great in it -- I wasn't really familiar with her before. I hope it gets another season.

by Anonymousreply 3603/17/2013

It really is so much better than most of these nighttime soaps. It's especially better than REVENGE, which went to cloud cuckoo land with its storytelling early in Season 2. Who knows, maybe we're better off if DECEPTION ends this season. I'm not going to watch it next seasson if it becomes the mess REVENGE has turned into.

by Anonymousreply 3703/17/2013

OK... the killer was revealed tonight but I'm confused as to why she was murdered.

Can someone explain ?

by Anonymousreply 3803/19/2013

It's quite good and I just have a huge crush on 'Julian'.

I love how Larroquette plays the deviant jerk who raped his best friend's 16 year old daughter and yet he turns out to be the 'good' guy after all. That tells you how fucked up society really is.

Will Mia be found soon enough to save Larroquette's character with her bone marrow donation? I really do hope the show gets reneviewed or moves to TNT.

by Anonymousreply 3903/19/2013

R38 With the new info we received last night, I'm guessing it's because Vivian knew how Catherine really died.

I hope the show gets renewed, too. It certainly didn't end on a Series Finale note. And NBC kept describing the ep as the *Season* Finale. So there might be hope.

by Anonymousreply 4003/19/2013

Fun fact-the guy who played Wyatt had to get surgery on a broken finger after the scene in the market was shot.

by Anonymousreply 4103/19/2013

Why did the father kill hidfirst wife ?

Was that explained because if it was I missed it ?

by Anonymousreply 4203/19/2013

R42 Someone said something about Catherine's fortune. Maybe the senator?

by Anonymousreply 4303/19/2013

The first wife came from money and she had some big life insurance policy which saved Robert's startup company when she died. I assume the death had to be a certain way in order for the insurance company to pay (and Robert to inherit her money). My guess is Chatherine suffered from depression and in order to keep it private she was kept under strict obersavation at the mansion by Joanna's mother and then one day Catherine slipped out and killed herself in some way.

by Anonymousreply 4403/19/2013

Because of Deception's finale NBC ended up in SEVENTH place on Monday among the networks.

Bye, bye Deception.

by Anonymousreply 4503/21/2013

TV by the numbers already labeled it "certain cancellation" months ago. I guess the fannies are always the last to know.

by Anonymousreply 4603/21/2013

Everyone who's ever watched it and pays even a little bit of attention to the ratings has assumed it's DOA, R46.

BUT...NBC referred to the last episode time and time again as the *season* finale rather than the *series* finale. So it's NBC who has not let all hope die for a second season, not ninnyhammer "fannies."

by Anonymousreply 4703/21/2013

The cast is full of talent, and the writing's been well twisted. It's a shame it hasn't caught on at all.

by Anonymousreply 4803/21/2013

Imitation is flattering, but making a success of it ain't as easy as it looks.

by Anonymousreply 4903/21/2013

Dear Webbie,

I travel all over Europe and have access to literally hundreds of IP addresses.

Trying to ban or block me will only make it worse.

I am harmless.

Get over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 5003/21/2013

I think the show got better as it went along, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for renewal even though I know it's unlikely. John Laroquette is really enjoyable even if he is a perv! And the cast in general is really strong. Lots of great angles to explore in a second season. What else does NBC have in its arsenal to replace it? Their whole schedule is pretty much a bust.

by Anonymousreply 5103/21/2013

R51 [quote]And the cast in general is really strong.

Especially Wes Brown, who has been shirted in altogether too many episodes.

by Anonymousreply 5203/21/2013

Wes Brown is SO HOT!!

by Anonymousreply 5303/21/2013

Wes Brown has one of the most aesthetically beautiful faces I've ever seen. Gorgeous cheekbones, stunning eyes.

It would seem that in terms of primetime soaps NBC will shift its focus to The Hatfields And The McCoys starring Virginia Madsen and Rebecca DeMornay as the modern day matriarchs of the warring families. Charlize Theron is one of the producers.

by Anonymousreply 5403/21/2013

I'd like to see a Rebecca DeMornay comeback, though the premise seems iffy.

by Anonymousreply 5503/21/2013

I hope the new show with Hugh Dancy works for NBC. Every time I see Hugh Dancy, I wish I were Claire Danes (Billy Crudup had the same effect).

by Anonymousreply 5603/21/2013

NBC has an "aggressive" pilot season in progress to replace the likes of Deception and Smash.

by Anonymousreply 5703/22/2013

Yeah, this show grew on me. I hope they renew it.

by Anonymousreply 5803/22/2013

They won't, R58. It will always be known as the show which ended NBC in SEVENTH place the night of its finale. They'll show reruns of Supertrain rather than new ones of Deception.

by Anonymousreply 5903/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.