Since 1995

Carrie Underwood as Maria von Trapp!!!

What, they couldn't get Reba?

by Anonymousreply 3211/05/2013

Or even Taylor Swift?

by Anonymousreply 111/30/2012

Can Carrie Underwood even act????

by Anonymousreply 211/30/2012

Who will play the Captain?? George Strait?

by Anonymousreply 311/30/2012

Cillian Murphy was too beautiful to play the part of Maria.

by Anonymousreply 411/30/2012

Reba's a bit long in the tooth to play Maria. Actually, I really like Carrie Underwood (but not country music). I think she's very talented and certainly stunning looking. I would imagine she can probably act just as well (if not better) than a lot of what passes for "actors" these days.

by Anonymousreply 511/30/2012

Terrible idea. She's so All-American looking. They should write it into the story that Maria got shipped over from a convent in the US if they're going to cast her.

The question is who will be Mother Superior? A dubbed Angela Lansbury? Sister Jessica Lange?

by Anonymousreply 611/30/2012

Reba would be great! Especially yodeling the goatherd song. But she is too old. .. I don't like the idea of Carrie or Taylor, either. .. Christine Ebersol would make a touching Mother Superior. She's also got the chops for Climb Every Mountain. .. Captain Von Trapp is basically an acting role, so the field is wide open. .. As long as he's dashing!!

by Anonymousreply 711/30/2012

Carrie Underwood is actually a HILARIOUS person. She's surprisingly witty.

Dramatic actress? I don't think so. But let's be honest--the mass public will probably enjoy her, regardless of what the connoisseurs have to say.

by Anonymousreply 811/30/2012

Aside from her accent, R6, Julie Andrews could also be called "All-American looking."

by Anonymousreply 911/30/2012

She's one of the very few country music singers who has spoken out for LGBT marriage.

She also can actually sing and is very beautiful in that she is highly photogenic.

If this t.v. version of "The Sound of Music" has a patient enough director, then she might actually do alright.

by Anonymousreply 1011/30/2012

Reba is way too old and annoying. I hate that fucking show. It is an embarrassment to the Rogers and Hammerstein Legacy - Lonely Goatherd? Really?

by Anonymousreply 1111/30/2012

OMG, REBA SINGING "LONELY GOATHERD."

Laughing. All. Day.

by Anonymousreply 1211/30/2012

Jessica Lang as Sister Jude as Mother Superior:

"Liss-hen Sistah Mare-ee-are, I god neeewz fa ya!"

by Anonymousreply 1311/30/2012

Let's not forget that Mary Martin was a Texas girl

by Anonymousreply 1411/30/2012

Jennifer Aniston as the Baroness.

by Anonymousreply 1511/30/2012

Jessica Lang as Sister Jude as Mother Superior:

"Liss-hen Sistah Mare-ee-are, I god neeewz fa ya!"

If Sr. Jude is actually from the Boston area, it would be "Maria, what is it you retahted cuntface?"

by Anonymousreply 1611/30/2012

There was nothing remotely Austrian about Julie Andrews or Christopher Plummer. Or Mary Martin. Also- I hate when people say that someone can't act when they've never seen the person act.

by Anonymousreply 1712/01/2012

It's going to be a country and western style version of TSOM, I think I'll pass on this.

by Anonymousreply 1812/01/2012

[quote]There was nothing remotely Austrian about Julie Andrews or Christopher Plummer. Or Mary Martin

That's OK. There's nothing Austrian about the play either. Switzerland is nearly 200 miles west of Salzburg. If they had climbed the mountains near Nonnberg Abbey, their descent on the other side would have led them straight to Hitler's retreat in Bavaria! When she first heard of this plot device, the real Maria von Trapp exclaimed, "didn't anybody look at a map?"

by Anonymousreply 1912/01/2012

Some movies should NOT be remade. EVER.

Sound of Music is one of them!!

by Anonymousreply 2012/01/2012

Christ, no. I'd rather have Michael Musto as Maria.

by Anonymousreply 2112/01/2012

Maria: Anne Hathaway. She's the exact right type for this.

Captain Von Trapp: Hugh Jackman. He's dashing, vaguely British and a baritone.

Baroness: Catherine Zeta Jones. She'd be perfect, but the part might be too small and she doesn't have a song.

Max: Nathan Lane.

Mother Superior: Tricky. You need a mature woman with a powerful classical soprano. Maybe an opera name like Renee Fleming? It's too bad Julie Andrews lost her voice. Get Jane Lynch to play the grouchy nun.

The kids: Meh.

by Anonymousreply 2212/01/2012

Mother Superior: Clay Aiken

by Anonymousreply 2312/01/2012

Why is Eleanor Parker never included or even remotely mentioned in the various cast reunions? She was integral to the film and brilliant to boot. It's as if her name has been stricken from the record, like they used to do in Russia.

by Anonymousreply 2412/01/2012

The kids from the original movie should play Nazis

by Anonymousreply 2512/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 2612/02/2012

Um, Julie Andrews had a four-octave range. Why would Little Miss Jukebox want to be compared to that?

by Anonymousreply 2712/02/2012

I have nothing against Carrie Underwood. But her voice...it is so vanilla. It's good but there is no color to her voice. It is always the same decibel, the same emotion...it never varies at all.

by Anonymousreply 2812/02/2012

What's the name of the other American Idol winner or runner up who's a slightly chunky Southern white girl with some top 10 songs? Name escapes me.

by Anonymousreply 2912/02/2012

Kelly Pickler?

by Anonymousreply 3012/02/2012

R22, The Baroness does get two songs in the stage musical, one the Cole Porter-esque "How Can Love Survive?" and the other, the tenser "Do appease the Nazis while they're here, darling" number "No Way to Stop It." Both sung with Max ("No Way to Stop It" also features the Captain), both cut from the film, but if they're included in this concert, I don't see why Catherine couldn't or wouldn't do it. Colin Firth would also be a great Captain, though perhaps too old for our Carrie. I assume they will ask Jackman, though, and Fleming for the Mother Abbess. Amanda Seyfried for Liesl? We have to get some people who make sense singing this music in there as compensation for a country singer playing Maria, don't we?

by Anonymousreply 3112/02/2012

I'm curious as to why it's being broadcast on a Thursday night rather than a Sunday night.

by Anonymousreply 3211/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.