Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Will the religious right take on GOP racism?

[bold]The founder of the Promise Keepers speaks out against — [italic]surprise![/italic] — white privilege[/bold]

By David Sirota,, Nov. 29, 2012

Ask yourself: If you heard the following comments, what kind of person would you guess said them?

[italic]I believe (I’ve benefited) because I’m Caucasian. I believe that black men have less opportunity, less tenure and shorter time (to prove themselves in the workplace) …

I think men of color have a more difficult road to tread and I think many people don’t realize it …

I’ve heard (people) say it doesn’t matter what color (an employee) is (when they fire him). To me that offends every person of color out there. It is as if to suggest that everything is done on a fair scale. It’s not done on a fair scale. Men of color don’t have the same privileges or opportunities and they are under greater pressure when they step in (to a job)…

For some reason our culture has dialed up something that causes us to have less confidence in people of color.[/italic]

Now ask yourself: What would your reaction be if you discovered that those comments were made not by a civil rights activist or a liberal politician subsequently being decried as a “race baiter” by right-wing media outlets, but instead by one of the best known Christian conservative icons in America? You’d probably have trouble believing that was true.

[MORE . . .]

by Anonymousreply 1111/30/2012

[quote]You’d probably have trouble believing that was true.

Not really, but apparently unlike the author of this Salon article, I don't make broad generalizations about people based solely on their religion. (Which is not to say I disagree that there are both a lot of GOP racists as well as "Christian" racists.)

by Anonymousreply 111/29/2012

"For some reason our culture has dialed up something that causes us to have less confidence in people of color."

The "for some reason" is quite perplexing to me given the history of America. The GOP racism and money attached to it goes much deeper than what some of us can actually fathom. For all the very apparent changes is American demographics, they still have a substantial amount of control in our federal government and state/local politics (at least in Southern states). That they received the majority of support from White male and female voters and substantially little from minority voters is very telling (at least to me). Now, Mr. McCartney is not one of my favorite people for what I think would be obvious reason, but his words (in this particular situation) display a truth about the world that so many like to pretend doesn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 211/30/2012

All such efforts fail because there is no point in being a member of a fundie gang if they let anyone in.

by Anonymousreply 311/30/2012

It's good to see a conservative take on the racism that the GOP and tea baggers cling to. Hopefully, white gay men will use this as an opportunity to do the same.

by Anonymousreply 411/30/2012

They didn't vote for Herman Cain, did they, R5? They didn't vote for Alan Keyes either. You are asserting something contrary to fact.

by Anonymousreply 611/30/2012

R5, I really disagree with your post. Actually a higher per centage of Asians voted for Obama than that of Blacks. Romney inspired hatred not just among those that feel they are "outsiders." There was a strong surge to defeat such an elitist candidate who could not relate to others' misfortune. Kudos to Promise Keepers for acknowledging that this view is the antithesis of what Christ represents. What will they now do beyond mere rhetoric to bring about drastic changes in the mindset of Repubs where money is seen as power, and much of it comes from the traditional White elite?

by Anonymousreply 711/30/2012

Looks like the mo troll stayed up too late last night.

by Anonymousreply 811/30/2012

July 2012

Baptist Church refuses to marry black couple.

"Because of the fact that we were black, some of the members of the congregation had got upset and decided that no black couple would ever be married at that church," Charles Wilson told CNN on Sunday night.

"All we wanted to do in the eyes of God was to be man and wife in a church that we thought we felt loved. What was wrong with that?"

by Anonymousreply 911/30/2012

[quote]July 2012 Baptist Church refuses to marry black couple.

Southern culture.

by Anonymousreply 1011/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!