Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Express Yourself

I loved the song, and came out to it.

I just heard it now and the arrangment sounds thin and tinny, the vocals contrived.

Time for another drink!

by God, I feel old!!reply 2812/01/2012

Wait, you came out to a song? Like a performance?

by God, I feel old!!reply 111/29/2012

OP are you sure it was Express Yourself and not Born This Way that you heard?

by God, I feel old!!reply 211/29/2012

The Like a Prayer album version of this song is awful.

by God, I feel old!!reply 311/29/2012

No, indeed, i realized, it sounds thinner and tinnier than the later pop-anthems and especially "born this way"

The precedent was set, kudos, but still, it was disappointing to hear

by God, I feel old!!reply 411/29/2012

Thin and tinny? With all the horns and bass? I love that song. Charles Wright's vocals and the loopy mentality of the lyrics perfectly captured the spacey funk of post Woodstock black music. My favorite part is where he grunts "they're doin' it on the moon!"

by God, I feel old!!reply 511/29/2012

[quote]With all the horns and bass?

yeah, that is how I recall it, but it sounds thin and tinny now, synthy and cheap.

by God, I feel old!!reply 611/29/2012

Maybe you're having a stroke, OP.

by God, I feel old!!reply 711/30/2012

[quote]and came out to it.

Please explain. How does one come out to a song???

by God, I feel old!!reply 811/30/2012

I agree, OP. It used to sound so good--now it sounds like a tinny piece of mechanical pop.

by God, I feel old!!reply 911/30/2012

I can't believe that anyone remembers Charles Wright and the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band. I was 15 or 16 when that song came out, I haven't thought of it in years and actually liked it when it came out. There was another one about that time called Double Barrel by Dave and Ansil Collins--someone told me that one of them was Bootsie Collins one and the same. I vaguely recall someone named Joe Tex--didn't he do "Skinny Legs and All"? And I also recall, vaguely, a group called the Sex-o-lettes.

by God, I feel old!!reply 1011/30/2012

Neil Young was on "The Daily Show" last night, talking about some new improved music platform. MP3's (and I think all digital platforms) lose a lot of the sound that was originally recorded.

I wonder if OP was listening to an MP3 version now, as opposed to a richer, more complex version in the past? (or maybe it just sounds much shittier now, that happens with some songs)

by God, I feel old!!reply 1111/30/2012

Not all digital platforms, r11, just those that heavily compress the file to reduce file size (such as mp3). There are lossless compression algorithms such as flac and there are also lossless uncompressed digital audio files such as .wav and .aif which are much, much larger than mp3s but give you full-fat CD audio quality. Now that storage drives are measured in terabytes, I've just re-ripped my whole collection to .aiff so that I can enjoy the convenience of digital music with the sound quality of cd.

by God, I feel old!!reply 1211/30/2012

"I loved the song, and came out to it."

How the fuck does one "Come Out To" a song? I'm guessing you were a little too old to "Come Out To" a Madonna song and fat, really really fat.

by God, I feel old!!reply 1311/30/2012

Jeez, use your noggins. I came out, starting going out to gay clubs, and THIS was the party anthem at the time. I don't really fathom how that isn't clear.

by God, I feel old!!reply 1411/30/2012

The version on the Immaculate Collection is much better.

by God, I feel old!!reply 1511/30/2012

Maybe you are just losing your hearing, OP.

by God, I feel old!!reply 1611/30/2012

I'm losing myself

by God, I feel old!!reply 1711/30/2012

Shep Pettibone's productions were the best thing about Madonna's music during that period. Yes even the Erotica album, it's actually jamming house music and was cutting edge at the time. Madonna gets co-producer credit, and I have to admit Pettibone did sound better with her help.

by God, I feel old!!reply 1811/30/2012

If you're talking about the album version, yes that is totally tinny. The whole album needed Shep Pettibone to remix it, that's why she had him produce her next album.

by God, I feel old!!reply 1911/30/2012

[quote]How the fuck does one "Come Out To" a song? I'm guessing you were a little too old to "Come Out To" a Madonna song and fat, really really fat.

Obviously OP is saying that he[italic] realized he was gay[/italic] when listening to the song. The song empowered him to own it and accept himself for whom he was.

For fuck's sake, people. No one here has had a revelation while hearing music? Or seeing a film? Oh we're all so self-assured these days aren't we? There was never a time when we couldn't find out own words without any help from someone's else's work.

I forget that everyone on Datalounge was out before they were born.

by God, I feel old!!reply 2011/30/2012

Express Yourself sounds dated. But the album is was taken from Like a Prayer is a fucking masterpiece. Rolling Stone called the album as close to art as pop music gets. The production on Oh Father, not to mention the heart breaking video, is mesmerizing. Who knew that disco tart from the early 80's would have ao much critical acclaim by decades end.

by God, I feel old!!reply 2111/30/2012

There are several versions of Express Yourself floating around from that time. Album version. Single version. Video Mix. Immaculate Collection mix.

by God, I feel old!!reply 2211/30/2012

Thanks, R20, for introducing a little bit of sense into this thread.

by God, I feel old!!reply 2311/30/2012

Are you people retarded?

by God, I feel old!!reply 2411/30/2012

I really liked the David Fincher-directed video as a young teen. Still one of the only three songs of hers I've ever liked.

by God, I feel old!!reply 2511/30/2012

R25 I remember when MTV premiered the video VJ Adam. Curry said it was the most expensive video ever, beating the budget for Thriller.

by God, I feel old!!reply 2611/30/2012

[quote]For fuck's sake, people. No one here has had a revelation while hearing music? Or seeing a film?

thank you, what a bunch of flat-footed cretins!

by God, I feel old!!reply 2712/01/2012

I actually love the sound of Erotica - very rich with lots of bass. They used some different techniques, too, to give it more of a vinyl sound with some scratch. Very good if you pay attention.

by God, I feel old!!reply 2812/01/2012
Need more help? Click Here.