Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why is it such a status thing for retired northeners to move to Florida?

I is Florida after all.

by Anonymousreply 6212/01/2012

First, it's "northerners." Second, it's not a "status thing."

by Anonymousreply 111/29/2012

bitches!!!! all of them bitches!!!

by Anonymousreply 311/29/2012

OP, nobody is the least bit impressed these days if you say you're "moving to Florida" to retire. Maybe if you're moving to Palm Beach or a South Beach penthouse, but not Florida in general. Smarter retirees have figured out that most of Florida is a white-trash cess pit, and the weather between April and October is roughly that of Singapore and Sumatra (90 degrees, 90% humidity, rain nearly every day, and altogether miserable). Retirees *really* seeking "status" in this regard tend to have both a "summer house" and "winter house," along with a tapestry of places to visit around the world in the spring and fall.

Btw among the lower-middle classes the big "status" thing these days driving around the country living out of an RV, not moving to Florida.

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2012

What r4 said

Although, I thought North Carolina was now the go to place for North. to retire?

Florida was big in the 60/70s and starting waning in popularity in the 80s

by Anonymousreply 511/29/2012

R5, I know *I'd* pick Asheville over anywhere in Florida to retire!

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2012

I have a 40 yr old gay friend who said that when he first started hanging out with other gay men as a young guy everyone said they wanted to go to Fort Lauderdale when they retired. So much so that he always thought that's just where he'd eventually end up. Ft. Lauderdale was THEE place to retire. Now? Not so much.

I think the idea of a retirement destination has fallen off for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 711/29/2012

[quote]Ft. Lauderdale was THEE place to retire. Now? Not so much.

Funny - I visited Ft. Lauderdale for the first time a few years back at the age of 40. After I figured out that nearly every single guy at the gay bars there was old enough to be my FATHER, I departed, never to return. So sure, it's a great place to retire, as long as you want to exclusively be around other old farts.

by Anonymousreply 811/29/2012

Florida sucks. They don't even know how to vote. Stupid fucks one and all.

by Anonymousreply 1011/29/2012

It's a shithole, should be made into a huge nature park

I'd rather retire in the smoke mountains.

by Anonymousreply 1111/29/2012

R5 must be right about NC -- I know a wealthy snobby couple who retired there from California. Guess the weather at home just wasn't deadly enough.

by Anonymousreply 1211/29/2012

These days retirement itself is a status symbol.

by Anonymousreply 1311/29/2012

It just means they can move and are independent. Many elderly people are trapped in their homes or where they are and can't afford to relocate. So maybe there is some status in that.

They used to move to Florida because it is the state on this side of the country with the warmest weather and near enough to beaches. Nobody in their right mind wants to deal with winter shit when they're old. Cold hurts when your bones are aching. They also want to be near their grandchildren and California is pretty far away if your family is eastern seaboard.

There are very affordable nice communities and/or cities to move to with affordable housing for very nice homes.

There is no state income tax. There are low property taxes (retired people don't give a shit about paying high property taxes anymore for other peoples kids to go to good schools).

Palm Beach is hardly the best place to live. I grew up in Winter Park and it is ten times better and probably more liberal as well.

For me the problem would be getting around if I became too old to drive and when I visit for any length of time I eventually go mad from the regressive politics of the state as a whole. Maybe I won't care when I'm old and I'll be able to tune all that out and just play shuffleboard in the sun drinking a mimosa.

by Anonymousreply 1411/29/2012

One of my co-workers retired to Florida. It really puzzled us as we live in CA and he had a nice house in a pleasant suburb with many amenities.

The thing was, he was a Cannuck, and that didn't mean a thing to any of us here, but it was still a burning ember in the pit of his soul, so he retired to a grand house on a golf course in Florida to show all those eastern people who looked down on him when he was a kid that Cannucks could aspire, work, and win.

Or something.

by Anonymousreply 1511/29/2012

It's not a status thing. It's for people who reach the age where they can't stand cold weather and can't walk up stairs. And they go to bed early, so dinner at 4:00 PM is very attractive.

by Anonymousreply 1611/29/2012

My folks retired to Florida a couple of years ago (they have a place up north for the summer). We went to the local Red Lobster one evening around 5:30, and it was JAMMED - the folks who were finishing up eating must have arrived before 5:00. We still laugh about it.

by Anonymousreply 1711/29/2012

[quote]Once the hordes of Latinos ruined Miami, Florida

Ruined? Hell, the Latinos make Miami what it is, the most beautiful people city in America.

Life is what the Latinos give Miami, life!

by Anonymousreply 1811/29/2012

It's popular with working-class Midwesterners and Northeasterners to an extent, but nowhere near as popular as it once was due to reasons stated by other posters. I lived in that Trailer Park shithole known as Tampa for a few years and moved as soon as I could when I had the chance. A lot of younger people escaping the cold and depressing atmosphere of the Rust-Belt are drawn to Florida too. It's the closest year-around warm-weather destination to many people from that region (straight shot down interstates 75 and 95) within reasonable driving distance and it's not 'too Southern' for their tastes. I grew up in Southern California, so Florida wasn't on the radar for me, but when I lived there, I understood its appeal to people to an extent.

Arizona, Utah, North Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee seem to be popular retiree destinations nowadays moreso than Florida nowadays.

As a Gen-Y guy trying to survive in this economy as I witness the decline of an empire, I know I won't have the luxury of retiring in my 60's or 70's, if I don't die of famine or starvation, I certainly won't survive solely on Social Security living in a trailer park in Florida, that's for sure.

Random question for DLers who can answer this - it seems as if half of the Chicago area has relocated to Phoenix in the past few decades. I know there are a shitload of Chicagoans in Florida too, and makes more sense geographically, but I've always wondered how Phoenix wound up on their radar, especially considering the distance and isolation.

by Anonymousreply 1911/29/2012

Immigrant hell.

by Anonymousreply 2011/29/2012

R19, Phoenix is hardly "isolated." It's a quick hop to anywhere on the West Coast, not to mention Vegas, and Chicago's blistering winters are made up for with wonderfully dry and moderately warm climes. Yes, it was *severely* hit by the recession, but it's one of the few places in the U.S. where the housing market clearly *has* hit rock bottom, and it's been climbing steadily upwards for at least a year now.

by Anonymousreply 2111/29/2012

I think it's simple economics. Money used to go very far in FL and real estate was dirt cheap. A generation ago, a middle class couple from Jersey could afford to buy a condo in Sarasota with savings and keep their home.

by Anonymousreply 2211/29/2012

R21 - I meant to say "isolated from Chicago compared to Florida," my apologies, but thanks for the explanation. It's climate is about as opposite to Chicago as you can get. It's closeness to the West Coast goes without saying. Shitload of Ex-Californians in Phoenix too.

by Anonymousreply 2311/29/2012

R22 - Yep, Florida was very cheap up until the early-2000's boom. It's real estate is undergoing a correction at the moment. But don't people who want Hurricane and/or Flood insurance have to buy it through the state after several insurance companies stopped underwriting policies in Florida after all those hurricanes in 2004 and 2006?

by Anonymousreply 2411/29/2012

[quote] Phoenix is hardly "isolated.

i grew up there and it is isolated, NOTHING notable happens in the area - until you get to L.A. that's better isolated, unless you counting Las cruzes or Death Valley

by Anonymousreply 2511/29/2012

I think part of the answer lies in tracing the causes further back. The wealthy began the exodus in the 1920s with cheap land and easy money plus Henry Flagler made it possible to go all the way to Havana at one time on a combined train/steamship ticket. The Kennedys were a relatively early new rich crowd to come to Palm Beach. And the Jews of the crowded lower east side of Manhattan, noticing the land boom as well and no doubt picking up on the idea of "status" since the rich were flocking down there had to have their piece of the pie too. Since this great land of democracy also can mean "aping your 'betters'" the whole idea of Florida as a must place to move to caught on in a big way not least among the factory workers in upper management up north and fraus and their menfolk in the midwest, although Arizona and California had lots of Iowans and Minnesotans flocking there. Los Angeles was once known as "Iowa by the sea". Interrupted by the Depression and World War II, the land boom in Florida began anew in the 1950s. But I can agree with earlier posts that Florida living today is "not what it was" if it ever was what it was. With global warming it will all become just a memory as Florida is doomed to be submerged, just like Atlantis!

by Anonymousreply 2611/30/2012

For retirement, people go where their friends go, and that's why clusters went this place or that place. Carl Fisher may have been from Indianapolis, but Miami Beach clearly became the New York "place to go" (Jewish). Fort Lauderdale (wasp). Chicago had ties to Sarasota. And so on. In order for it to be a big enough cluster to give the impression that everybody was from that area, there had to be a permanent sort of pipeline. Some places it was baseball spring training, but more usually it was an ongoing economic tie.

For example, Chicago was tied to Phoenix by the Santa Fe Railroad, by Motorola, by the Cubs, by the Wrigleys, by Frank Lloyd Wright, by the mob and even by the Catholic Church (e.g., Marcinkus).

Chicago's ties to Santa Barbara are even stronger.

by Anonymousreply 2711/30/2012

Much higher status to retire somewhere other than Florida or Arizona/Nevada. (They're considered tacky and trite.) The status places to retire to for the last few years for the middle class has been places like Panama City that are a little more exotic.

by Anonymousreply 2811/30/2012

US route 19 goes from Erie, Pennsylvania to St. Petersburg, Florida, equally dull places.

by Anonymousreply 2911/30/2012

Any "status" is from having the means to retire anywhere and not finish your life scraping by. Florida doesn't impress anyone.

by Anonymousreply 3011/30/2012

So where do classy gay Northeasterners go now when they retire?

by Anonymousreply 3111/30/2012

"Why is it such a status thing for retired northeners to move to Florida?"

No one in their right mind has thought that for at least thirty years.

by Anonymousreply 3211/30/2012

Would you define "classy gay northeasterner" r31? At least give an example and classy shouldn't necessarily mean loaded with money. For my money, if I were "classy" and I know I'm "gay" (some would even say I'm a queer queer), I would stay in the northeast, despite the threat of more Hurricane Sandys in the future.

by Anonymousreply 3311/30/2012

[quote]I know *I'd* pick Asheville over anywhere in Florida to retire!

I visited a gay couple who I know in Asheville a couple months ago. It seemed like every third license plate I saw was a Florida license. My friends told me those people are known as "Floridiots" or "Halfbacks" because they moved from the northeast down to Florida and hated it so they moved half-way back to their families in the Northeast. Most of the old people found out that Florida had few if any gov't services for the elderly since Floridians pay no state taxes hence they have no services. And their families were not visiting them like they thought they would. When their auto licenses expire they get NC ones but usually not before. Also, flood and hurricane insurance is mandatory for everyone and it is expensive.

by Anonymousreply 3411/30/2012

[quote] The status places to retire to for the last few years for the middle class has been places like Panama City that are a little more exotic.

Panama City - status? LOL!

I'd rather live in Fla than North Carolina any day. Politically speaking NC is no improvement over Fla at all. In fact as a whole it's much worse.

Plus the mountains bore me - I need something moving like the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 3511/30/2012

R1, R2 and R4 said it all.

by Anonymousreply 3611/30/2012

You white boys come on down here; I'll show you what a real woman can do.

by Anonymousreply 3711/30/2012

If we can ever afford to 'retire' we hope it will be to France, Italy, or Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 3811/30/2012

I think a LOT of it has to do with winter weather. My partner's family were originally from Rochester NY, and his grandparents moved to Florida as soon as gramps retired ( it helped that he was an executive with Kodak, though, so they weren't hurting too bad.) This was in the 1970's though.

by Anonymousreply 3911/30/2012

Now it has more to do with cost. Indeed, I'm told that Michigan's Upper Peninsula is becoming a retirement haven.

by Anonymousreply 4011/30/2012

I had thought Costa Rica was a big retirement destination a few years back?

As for Panama City (I'm assuming the poster meant Florida, not Panama!) -- isn't that the "capital" of the Redneck Riviera region? UGH!

by Anonymousreply 4111/30/2012

I think the poster meant Panama.

by Anonymousreply 4211/30/2012

What's the weather like in Asheville? Does it snow for most of the winter?

by Anonymousreply 4311/30/2012

When the "Northerners" move into an area to retire (mostly from the tri-state area), they raise the prices of home in the area. Which sounds good - but it's not if you're a native making "local salaries".

The folks moving down and buying homes/condo see a beautiful big new house in the $200/$300K range and thinks it's a STEAL...b/c houses in their home towns are going for half and million and up.

I live in Florida (yeah, I know -no cracks) and most of the local can't stand the snow birds or Northerners...they are offensive on soooo many levels.

by Anonymousreply 4411/30/2012

Don't forget the impact the advent of air conditioning had on these retirement meccas. Florida, Arizona - hell, the whole Sun Belt - would have been unbearably hot for newcomers used to cooler weather, prior to the 1950's.

Indeed, the whole population migration to the south and west can be credited to air-conditioning.

by Anonymousreply 4511/30/2012

R45 - Very true. In general, Florida didn't really grow until the 1960's for a reason. Alabama had more people than Florida as recently as the 1940's. Sure, it was growing before then, but the growth skyrocketed after the invention of Central AC. Orlando would still be a cattle-and-orange grove town otherwise.

Same goes for Texas and Arizona. Houston was a town of barely 300,000 people up until after WWII.

by Anonymousreply 4611/30/2012

I heard people move down to "God's Waiting Room" for tax reasons.

by Anonymousreply 4711/30/2012

I always thought it was because the older you get the more you feel the cold and it is always hot in Florida. Personally, I don't know how anyone can live there.

by Anonymousreply 4811/30/2012

Yeah the fuck right r32. I havent seen any decrease in the influx of elderly retired people moving their fat asses here for the weather. What's wrong with Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi? Its hot as fuck there too. They also tip the Florida vote to Republican leadership in elections.

Florida has been ruined by people who intentionally or unintentionally make it their last stop, just to take up resources and not contribute anything.

by Anonymousreply 4911/30/2012

GA, AL and MS are not the same thing -- it gets cold enough in winter there.

When I mention to Floridians that my parents are in Naples, they often reply in shocked tones, "I don't live like THAT!"

by Anonymousreply 5011/30/2012

What's wrong with Naples? A friend is in an upscale assisted-living apartment there.

by Anonymousreply 5112/01/2012

Last time I visited Florida—ten years ago—I couldn't believe how fucking crowded it was. My dad & step-mom were living in Longwood (Orlando area), and everywhere I went was crowds & traffic & endless strip malls. And this was in October. You couldn't pay me to live in a place like that. Just horrible.

by Anonymousreply 5212/01/2012

The Bronx has retired to Florida.

I know this because many of my family members have gone there. It's little Puerto Rico around Orlando.

I don't get the appeal.

by Anonymousreply 5312/01/2012

R52, that's along the highways. You have to venture off the main roads and highways to see the better neighborhodds and towns. They aren't interested in being near highways and strip malls either. And they aren't all that interested in nosy tourists either.

I remember a friend came from NYC to one of my parent's funerals in Central Florida and she kept saying how awful the main road from the airport was and I was just DUH! - it's the main road from the airport. That's where they put the crap and strip malls.

by Anonymousreply 5412/01/2012

R51 -- Naples is considered a very upscale address, although parts of the area can be rather seedy if one ventures at all off the beaten path.

by Anonymousreply 5512/01/2012

Where are the best places for gays to retire? Requirements: reasonable cost of living, numerous activities, decent weather, great medical care, gay-friendly, and some gay population.

by Anonymousreply 5612/01/2012

It's those who choose to flee in their retirement who are trapped.

Choose right when you're young and you'll want to stay where you are.

by Anonymousreply 5712/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 5812/01/2012

St Augustine is the only place in Florida I could imagine living.

by Anonymousreply 5912/01/2012

My father in law lived there - nice house on the intercoastal. When he passed away, we sold the house, then we arranged for a mover named Carmine from New Jersey, to transport a few of the antiques that had sentimental value to be shipped to us in Virginia. We found him from the lady who makes an incredible living doing estate sales down there. She has a couple houses a weekend! She used him to ship some of the nice antiques back to New Jersey where they sell better than in Florida.

Carmine makes a good living moving people to Florida from New Jersey. But as he told us, it would surprise us to know, how many of those people call him up after a year or two to move back to New Jersey. They hated Florida!

by Anonymousreply 6012/01/2012

Florida's road systems are very poorly designed and cannot handle the traffic they had 20 years ago, let alone now.

Contrast that with northern big cities, where 50% or more of the total area of a city will be paved roads or parking lots.

by Anonymousreply 6112/01/2012

That's because Northerners are smarter and better educated than the Jesusy yahoos down South, r61. It's unkind to say, but it's just a fact.

by Anonymousreply 6212/01/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!