Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Best neighborhood in Atlanta

For a kind of hipster, youthful, gay Yankee to inhabit. Preferably bikeable with a funky vibe and lots of people who actually make their living in the arts.

by Anonymousreply 1012/16/2012

Good luck with that. Let us know how that turns out.

by Anonymousreply 111/29/2012

Because you're fabulous OP?

by Anonymousreply 211/29/2012

Best neighborhood?

6000 North Terminal Parkway....

Be sure to have a way ticket anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 311/29/2012

Check out: Midtown, West Midtown, South Buckhead and East Atlanta. Welcome south!

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2012

OP, check out Cabbagetown, Old Fourth Ward, and Grant Park.

The local alt-weekly does an annual neighborhood guide which may be of some help (link below).

Atl is a long-time target for DL snark, but it's actually a great place to live. Welcome!

by Anonymousreply 511/29/2012

Little 5 Points

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2012

Midtown, Poncey Highland, East Atlanta Village, Kirkwood, parts of Castleberry Hill (though it's right next to some ghetto ass neighborhoods, and didn't get all the way gentrified before the housing crash). Downtown Decatur isn't too bad either.

by Anonymousreply 711/29/2012

And what R5 said too.

by Anonymousreply 811/30/2012

Holy shit! I was looking at the crime statistics and they are unreal. Annual crimes per 1,000 residents and they had Old Fourth Ward 185, Downtown 178, Midtown 130, Atlantic Station 115, Grant Park 110, Ormewood 105, Cabbagetown 93, Little 5 Pts 91.

I think Poncey is looking the best of what's on offer.

Thanks for that link.

by Anonymousreply 911/30/2012

Lived in ATL for 7 years. Not much of an arts community. For a city its size, it's a big nothing in terms of anything other than people trying to make a fast buck and looking at others as potential marks. The High is a joke as museums go--basically designed to showcase traveling shows. My friends who are involved in theatre are the first to concede that the theatre scen sucks. You will find arts-involved people sprinkled through the more affordable intown neighborhoods like Old Fourth Ward, East Atlanta, and Kirkwood. East Atlanta and Little 5 Points (borders pricy Inman Park and Candler Park) have the pretense of hipness, but it's pretty shallow. I lived in Little 5 when I first moved to ATL.

Most "walking neighborhoods" in ATL have nothing to walk to, other than maybe a couple restaurants. The best biking is along Jimmy Carter Parkway and the developing Beltline corridor. the Beltline is close to some shopping. Otherwise, ATL is a very carbound city. I sold my car within a year of moving to DC.

The gay community skews young and the available scene is pretty much catering to that demographic, but it's a group that's mostly concerned with partying or money. You'll be surprised at how little curiosity they or anyone else has about the wider world. I was happy to leave.

by Anonymousreply 1012/16/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!