Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Aren't employers supposed to inform interviewees they've been rejected?

Soooo, I interviewed for a design gig at a small firm (about 30 people). I'm qualified (manager "loved" my resume), references told me they'd been contacted and gave me good reviews, etc. Its just a contract gig so I'm not going to be devastated, but one week after the interview with the three people who make the final decision, I hadn't heard anything either way.

I've never, ever not had an employer at least shoot me a lame email saying I didn't fit, blah blah. Have I just luckily avoided what happens normally? In any case, I left a phone message (she NEVER answers the phone) and polite email to follow up. Two days later... nada.

I don't even want the job now, I'm just very curious and want to know what the hell is going on.

by Anonymousreply 1411/30/2012

They don't do that anymore.

by Anonymousreply 111/29/2012

Weird, it was my consistent experience so I guess in the last two years its changed.

by Anonymousreply 211/29/2012

Most employers don't seem to give you that courtesy anymore. However, the decent ones will tell you you won't get unless you're the successful applicant.

by Anonymousreply 311/29/2012

They're just not that into you.

by Anonymousreply 411/29/2012

I knew a girl who waited to hear on an interview, but then she died.

by Anonymousreply 511/29/2012

Hmm, not sure I buy it. This isn't a big corporation with HR. Its a small company in a field where you will inevitably cross paths in the future. When I've been the interviewer in the past, higher ups have wanted emails sent out simply so the company looks good.

In any case, I've tried calling the receptionist a few times to day and no one answers so maybe they went belly up. Maybe I dodged a bullet if this is how they run things.

by Anonymousreply 611/29/2012

"I've tried calling the receptionist a few times to day and no one answers so maybe they went belly up"

Maybe they have caller ID.

by Anonymousreply 711/29/2012

I interviewed for a position and hadn't heard anything. So I sent an email and found out that they're re-posting the job. Needless to say I won't reapply.

by Anonymousreply 811/29/2012

No, when you dial for the receptionist it goes to voice mail, it doesn't just keep ringing like a screened call. And I got so curious I used my boyfriend's phone and the same thing happened.

by Anonymousreply 911/29/2012

Well, I just got a call apologizing for not getting back sooner. The decision will be made by noon tomorrow and she said she'd call me right away. So the streak continues.

by Anonymousreply 1011/29/2012

Good luck OP!

by Anonymousreply 1111/29/2012

R1 is right, people are cunts these days. Everything has changed Op. Welcome to the new reality of job hunting.

by Anonymousreply 1211/29/2012

They first started doing this after the dot.com meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 1311/29/2012

They haven't done that since the ADA passed in the early 90s.

by Anonymousreply 1411/30/2012
Need more help? Click Here.