Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rosacea

Just found out I've got it in addition to the psoriasis I've had for years. Fuck, fuck, fuck!

Common indicators are: Onset between 30-50 years...check Fair skin of English/Irish/Scot background...check Flush easily...check Spider like veins...check Burning, itching sensation...check

Psoriasis was inherited from Dad, thanks so much Dad. My skin is a genetic nightmare.

by totally depressedreply 5706/17/2013

Me too OP! I'm mid-thirties, Irish/Scot/English heritage/flush easily/can't have two sips of an alcoholic beverage without turing bright red and splotchy.

IT SUCKS! I recently went to a dermatologist last week and got a prescription cream to use twice a day-it takes a while but we'll see how it goes. My dermatologist told me if the cream doesn't work, she's going to give me some heavy-duty antibiotics.

by totally depressedreply 111/29/2012

My sympathy. I have eczema, inherited from my mom. Now I have it on my right buttock. Itchy flaky ass goodness.

by totally depressedreply 211/29/2012

[quote]My skin is a genetic nightmare.

So's my face.

by totally depressedreply 311/29/2012

Down, Spot.

Stay, Spot.

Quiet, Spot.

by totally depressedreply 411/29/2012

OP, calm down. Seriously. I have rosacea, too. It is NOT a big deal. There are plenty of creams you can use to calm it down, even homeopathic cures. Also, like others mine tends to flare up a bit if I've had a cocktail or two, so you should use a cream in advance if you know you'll be imbibing.

by totally depressedreply 511/29/2012

Finacea -- I gargle with it.

by totally depressedreply 611/29/2012

r5 what cream do you use?

by totally depressedreply 711/29/2012

Me too, and I'm an olive skinned Italian.

by totally depressedreply 811/29/2012

Another victim. I've found some treatments that work for a while then stop. Now I find alternating them is effective:

Clinique Redness Solutions-- Daily Relief Cream

Dr. Andrew Weil for Origins--Mega Mushroom Skin Relief--Advanced Formula Serum

EXPENSIVE

by totally depressedreply 911/29/2012

If you've got some money, EPL works very well against rosacea. It's about the only thing EPL really does, actually. It's mostly a placebo for any other skin condition.

by totally depressedreply 1011/29/2012

EPL?

by totally depressedreply 1111/30/2012

At least you don't have ocular rosacea, like me

by totally depressedreply 1211/30/2012

Aren't there laser treatments for it?

by totally depressedreply 1311/30/2012

I have ocular rosacea, too, R12. Do you have any treatments that help?

by totally depressedreply 1411/30/2012

It's not called "The Celtic Curse" for nuthin.....

by totally depressedreply 1511/30/2012

Metro Gel and Finacea help--avoid hot water on your face, use fragrance free lotions and cleansers.

by totally depressedreply 1611/30/2012

I had it real bad; MetroGel cleared most of it up.

by totally depressedreply 1711/30/2012

Rosacea surfaced on my skin about a month ago because I went to hard with retin-a and acids (which, up until that point, had made my face look like porcelain). I only realized afterwards that I have all the indicators - fair skin, cheeks flush easily, kerotosis pilarsis on the arms, seb derm on my scalp.

I got metrocream and it seems to be helping on one area where I was getting sores. If one is in the U.S (not Cnda unfortunately) one can get low dose doxycyline. I also started oil cleansing instead of using a cleanser.

Also, I've heard that VBeam is preferred over IPL by many derms and patients for treatment of Rosacea: more targeted. There are also some supposedly revolutionary topicals coming out in the next several yrs.

by totally depressedreply 1811/30/2012

Here's a good link for info on a variety of skin problems, including rosacea:

by totally depressedreply 1911/30/2012

Mites!

by totally depressedreply 2011/30/2012

Be careful with Intense Pulse Light(IPL) lasers.

The long term effect of such treatments is still unknown and some patients are reporting experiences they felt resulted in premature skin thinning and most alarmingly...facial fat loss.

by totally depressedreply 2111/30/2012

You get that from being drunk.

by totally depressedreply 2211/30/2012

Yup they are mites. Castor Oil!

by totally depressedreply 2311/30/2012

Is it an autoimmune related disease? My mom developed this not long before she got an autoimmune disease that killed her in her mid 60s.

My brother has this. While all of us siblings were Irish/German/Italian - he is the fair skinned, fair haired, blue eyed giant and I am the darker skinned, dark eyed, dark haired, short person. I always wanted to be like my beautiful blonde blue eyed mom rather than the still handsome but dark Italian father - but I am the child who hasn't aged that much and is healthier than my siblings ever were. Italians win!

by totally depressedreply 2411/30/2012

how about suicide op

by totally depressedreply 2511/30/2012

Metrogel?

by totally depressedreply 2611/30/2012

Irish American with rosacea here, and I agree with R5. It's really not that big a deal and can often be treated naturally.

I was given metrogel, and it is effective, but I didn't want to use antibiotics every day. I didn't use it for long.

Avoiding triggers is the most important way of dealing with the condition for me. I've found the worst triggers to be chemical sunscreens and many of the anti-aging moisturizers containing substances like salicylates (sp?).

Using very gentle cleansers, natural anti-inflammatory creams and physical (zinc-based) sunscreens have been very helpful to me. I also avoid spicy food and alcohol.

My daily routine is to wash my face with Cetaphil daily facial cleanser (you can buy it anywhere).

Then I use a natural anti-inflammatory cream containing calendula. Natural anti-inflammatory creams like this are cheap and easy to find on etsy. Look for ingredients like calendula, chamomile, and elderflower, all of which are natural anti-inflammatories. Weleda makes one too: Weleda Baby Calendula Face Cream.

For a sunscreen, I have to be especially careful. Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Sunblock Lotion is the only one I've tried that hasn't caused a flare-up, so I'm faithful to it.

Following the above routine, I haven't had a flare-up in over 5 years.

by totally depressedreply 2711/30/2012

R24, I don't know about rosacea but psoriasis is a member of the auto-immune related diseases so it's entirely possible. What exactly did she get?

R27 do you think my using NeoStrata for years affected this? It's a glycolic acid formula but I quit using it on my face when I started having these flare ups.

by totally depressedreply 2811/30/2012

It's possible, OP. Try stopping using it and see whether your condition improves.

What's your skincare routine now?

Try keeping it very basic, using only products formulated for very sensitive skin, like those I've mentioned.

by totally depressedreply 2911/30/2012

[quote] I don't know about rosacea but psoriasis is a member of the auto-immune related diseases so it's entirely possible. What exactly did she get?

OP, I'd have to go dig out my mom's death certificate or my notes from the time - yes I saved the notes I took from my conferences with her doctors. It was a long time ago so it's probably time to throw them out. Weird the things we hold onto.

I do remember that it was very hard for them to ascertain what exactly she had and I think her eventual post-mortem wasn't all that sure either. My parents had just moved from DC to Florida and though it was a good hospital if this happened while still in DC we probably could have gotten her transferred from Walter Reed into NIH.

by totally depressedreply 3011/30/2012

A friend of mine with psoriasis went to the Dead Sea and some place where the fish eat it off your skin. He came back looking great. He also said the sun was actually good for it. Not sure hownthatvaffects the rosacea though.

by totally depressedreply 3111/30/2012

Same here. I use Cetaphil and try and avoid too hot water. I use Cetaphil Daily Moisturizer and tried some Eucerin Heavy Repair cream but that seems to irritate it even though it's dermatologist recommended. I will try some of those creams you mentioned. I have tried laying moistened chamomile tea bags on my skin when it's irritated and that helps.

What's odd is wine seems to affect it more than say a vodka and tonic.

by totally depressedreply 3211/30/2012

Sun is good for psoriasis. Mine will pretty much clear up in the summer as long as I spend a fair amount of time outside.

by totally depressedreply 3311/30/2012

Giving up dairy can really help clear up skin problems. If you do some online research about it, you'll find lots of people who had better skin after giving up dairy.

by totally depressedreply 3411/30/2012

I have rosacea, including red, itchy, flaky eyelids. Mario Badescu Control Cream and Azulene Calming Mask have worked wonders for me. Not cheap, but well worth it, and a little goes a long way.

by totally depressedreply 3511/30/2012

I suddenly found I had it two years ago and I was shocked and surprised. I know thid will be hard to believe but I have tried many products without much effect. Then I found a 5 year old cheap bottle of Jergens lotion in a drawer and started using that I apply it 3-4 times a day - I started a month ago and it's almost gone now. It's amazing that such a cheap, everyday thing worked for me. I am happy.

by totally depressedreply 3611/30/2012

do you just apply it to your cheeks?

by totally depressedreply 3711/30/2012

forehead nose -

by totally depressedreply 3811/30/2012

oh. my cheeks are my problem areas.

by totally depressedreply 3911/30/2012

I put chamomile tea bags on my puss.

by totally depressedreply 4011/30/2012

I was diagnosed with rosacea, along with cystic acne, while in my 30s. Used Metrogel and oral antibiotics for years until it seemed to stop working. Stopped the antibiotics and switched to Finacea and it was like night & day. Good stuff. Also use a prescription sulfer-based facial wash, though it's drying, so I alternate it with CeraVe.

by totally depressedreply 4111/30/2012

...sulfur-based ...

by totally depressedreply 4211/30/2012

Stay away from vitamin C facial products and anything that claims to exfoliate the skin.

by totally depressedreply 4311/30/2012

R32 Wine, especially red, has tannins which can trigger flushes for some people. Vodka shouldn't have any tannins at all (the alcohol can trigger flushes for some people though). I've found that the tannins in wine and some teas are a huge trigger for me.

R27 If you want an effective long term solution, Oracea and other low dose doxycycline do not operate as an antibiotic in one's system (and do not contribute to antibiotic resistance). The doses prescribed are too low to allow for a concentration that would create antibiotic activity in the body. Low dose doxycycline produces an anti-inflammatory effect that is thought to treat the Rosacea.

by totally depressedreply 4412/01/2012

R44, my opthamologist diagnosed me with ocular rosacea and put me on a mild doxycycline treatment, which also cleared up my skin instantly. However, I disclosed this when I went to give blood and so am not able to donate until I've finished my course of antibiotics as I take the tablets twice a day. I've also been taking a probiotic. Is the dose still low enough that it's not creating an antibiotic effect in my body?

by totally depressedreply 4506/16/2013

I also was just diagnosed with Rosacea. I've had it for years, but didn't know what it was. It wasn't too bad early on, but the last few months it has become much worse. My dermatologist prescribed Rosadan, and my skin has cleared up dramatically. I highly recommend it.

by totally depressedreply 4606/16/2013

THERE IS RELIEF!! OP and others who are suffering from this: get to a good dermotologist and have him prescribe Desonide Lotion 0.05%. It absolutely works! Whenever I see an outbreak occuring on my face I use it for a few days and the flareup subsides. Seriously!! Give it a try.

by totally depressedreply 4706/16/2013

Among the odd things that have caused my rosacea to flare up was artificial cinnamon flavoring. I used to love cinnamon-flavored gum and candy, and it took a while to see that ingesting them resulted in rosacea.

by totally depressedreply 4806/16/2013

I just saw a doctor about this two weeks ago. He told me he was going to prescribe Evoken Cream but when I went to pick it up at the drugstore I was given Elidel Cream. I tried calling the office and the medical assistant swore Elivel Cream was used for rosacea.

I explained to her I was sure it was a mistake and asked to speak to the doctor. She said she would call me back. She didn't call back in two days so I called and asked her to check this again and she never called back. I will go to that office Monday and ask for my records so I can switch to another dermatologist (I had blood work done there too so I want to take that).

I'm going to ask for either Metrogel or Desonide Lotion from the new dermatologist I guess.

I did try the Elivil Cream and it's been three weeks and it hasn't done anything. So if it's truly the wrong medicine I'm out $35 and my insurance company is out $300.

by totally depressedreply 4906/16/2013

I know i am probably going to get some shit for this but for some people a gluten free diet can help.

by totally depressedreply 5006/16/2013

You need to be on a very good probiotic, OP. I'd also cut out all grains and seek how your skin does. If no change, fine, but the probiotic is essential for someone like you.

by totally depressedreply 5106/16/2013

Be careful with probiotics. Most of them are made by companies like Monsanto who only care about profits, not consumers' health.

I'm more inclined to recommend food-based probiotics, like Bulgarian yogurt and fermented foods. See if you can get a copy of Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, among the best how-to books on eating for health.

by totally depressedreply 5206/16/2013

Agreed that he should be careful with the probiotic. If you have a locally owned health food store, they may have a probiotic that is good. Refrigerated is one sign. I have bought a custom probiotic online from a small company that has nothing to do with agribusiness or large corporations who know nothing about health.

by totally depressedreply 5306/16/2013

Nothing worse than skin problems. It really is the worst type of illness of all and the treatment and maintenance is a nightmare.

I've had a lot of problems with facial redness and actually am Scottish, so wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with rosacea.

I do have the facial thread veins which I always was self conscious about but apparently other people don't see so much. I tried to get rid of them with a laser procedure, but having a skin condition already makes it difficult as steroid creams, immunosuppresants and even exercise kinda are a contraindication, bringing the veins to the forefront. The best treatment for those are the needle one.

On the plus side, I don't usually notice people have rosacea. My brother in law had it and I didn't even know, he had loads of laser treatments. He's a drinker, maybe that has something to do with it, that of course shows in the face.

by totally depressedreply 5406/16/2013

Gluten free diet and no processed meats.

by totally depressedreply 5506/16/2013

I always thought Rosacea would be a snappy name for someone's house-servant.

"Rosacea, we'll be having tea on the east veranda today. Please tell Boniva to slice extra lemons for Mrs. Sellers!"

by totally depressedreply 5606/17/2013

I have a really bad case and have been trying to find a cure for years. Zinc Oxide is it. I put it on at night sorta thick and I use it as a thing cream during the day. It absolutely calms down the inflammation and I look almost normal now. I have to use it all the time, but it is safe and it works. Zinc Oxide is whats in baby rash cream and sun screens.

by totally depressedreply 5706/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.